Issue with Woolworths ‘green’ bags pointed out

Supermarket giant Woolworths went ‘green’ by replacing plastic bags with their paper carry bags, but after issues with their online orders, the obvious problem has been pointed out by an avid shopper.

Earlier this week, a frustrated customer shared a photo of the torn Woolies paper bag she received as part of her online order.

“I love that Woolies is doing great with the 'going green' and using paperbacks instead of plastic for home deliveries now, but perhaps a bit more research is needed for frozen foods and milk transportation?” she asked in the caption.

The photo is of a two-litre milk bottle that had condensed and caused the paper bag to tear.

“The paper doesn't hold up enough when the condensation builds up on these products,” she added.

The other refrigerated foods she received were okay as they don’t seem to have the same effect on the paper bag as milk cartons do.

xow0J7XwzSVf2mtXc4OvHHvfprzcnMF2pn-R5pwixFLTZcd9DoyOivUjDQVS_08jF07JLXut4gdvK3m-08YHZ6nz6pYoq3BaupvKG8GfAddWeM6NYKzp2jBofSY44B4IzrU91bpQ

Condensation from the refrigerated liquids weakens the paper bag. Photo from Facebook.

A spokesperson for Woolworths stated that they are trialling the complete removal of plastic shopping bags, both at the checkout and with online orders.

"During the trial, online orders from these select stores will be packed in our paper bags, which are tested to carry up to six kilograms of groceries and are easy to recycle at home," they said.

"We’re sorry to hear about this customers’ experience and have passed their feedback on to our online team. We’ll continue to closely monitor customer feedback during the trial before determining our next steps."

To address growing customer demand for greener alternatives, Woolworths first rolled out their paper carry bags in June 2020.

Each paper carry bag provides an eco-friendly alternative to the reusable plastic bags and ‘Bag for Good’ options. They are made from 70 per cent recycled paper and only cost 20 cents.

Materials for the bags were sourced responsibly, as certified by the Forest Stewardship Council. To improve the paper bag’s strength, non-recycled paper was used in combination with recycled paper.

WVOme_XQUkvTXRfFZ1AGfNHnCLRvBSyqIMFog7gMuMkIdL3H9VhXMFKFnGrCtNlmO8Cn-OwVs5mWhN0wMstzITgdl_qQ_h6J9dRDIZjh3wn-VTueiCDqRp8QAkeaqRuX3B_cXJl_

The paper bags have been tested to carry up to 6kg worth of groceries. Photo from Detpak.
As of now, Woolies shoppers have four options for their carry bags: paper carry bags, reusable plastic bags, foldable bags, and the supermarket’s Bag for Good.

What about you? How do you prefer to carry your groceries?

Sponsored

Supermarket giant Woolworths went ‘green’ by replacing plastic bags with their paper carry bags, but after issues with their online orders, the obvious problem has been pointed out by an avid shopper.

Earlier this week, a frustrated customer shared a photo of the torn Woolies paper bag she received as part of her online order.

“I love that Woolies is doing great with the 'going green' and using paperbacks instead of plastic for home deliveries now, but perhaps a bit more research is needed for frozen foods and milk transportation?” she asked in the caption.

The photo is of a two-litre milk bottle that had condensed and caused the paper bag to tear.

“The paper doesn't hold up enough when the condensation builds up on these products,” she added.

The other refrigerated foods she received were okay as they don’t seem to have the same effect on the paper bag as milk cartons do.

xow0J7XwzSVf2mtXc4OvHHvfprzcnMF2pn-R5pwixFLTZcd9DoyOivUjDQVS_08jF07JLXut4gdvK3m-08YHZ6nz6pYoq3BaupvKG8GfAddWeM6NYKzp2jBofSY44B4IzrU91bpQ

Condensation from the refrigerated liquids weakens the paper bag. Photo from Facebook.

A spokesperson for Woolworths stated that they are trialling the complete removal of plastic shopping bags, both at the checkout and with online orders.

"During the trial, online orders from these select stores will be packed in our paper bags, which are tested to carry up to six kilograms of groceries and are easy to recycle at home," they said.

"We’re sorry to hear about this customers’ experience and have passed their feedback on to our online team. We’ll continue to closely monitor customer feedback during the trial before determining our next steps."

To address growing customer demand for greener alternatives, Woolworths first rolled out their paper carry bags in June 2020.

Each paper carry bag provides an eco-friendly alternative to the reusable plastic bags and ‘Bag for Good’ options. They are made from 70 per cent recycled paper and only cost 20 cents.

Materials for the bags were sourced responsibly, as certified by the Forest Stewardship Council. To improve the paper bag’s strength, non-recycled paper was used in combination with recycled paper.

WVOme_XQUkvTXRfFZ1AGfNHnCLRvBSyqIMFog7gMuMkIdL3H9VhXMFKFnGrCtNlmO8Cn-OwVs5mWhN0wMstzITgdl_qQ_h6J9dRDIZjh3wn-VTueiCDqRp8QAkeaqRuX3B_cXJl_

The paper bags have been tested to carry up to 6kg worth of groceries. Photo from Detpak.
As of now, Woolies shoppers have four options for their carry bags: paper carry bags, reusable plastic bags, foldable bags, and the supermarket’s Bag for Good.

While i love paper bags i really wish they were made in Australia instead of China! Surely at least one of our paper mills could produce them & invent a specific cold goods bag?

While i love paper bags i really wish they were made in Australia instead of China! Surely at least one of our paper mills could produce them & invent a specific cold goods bag?
Not sure of the Woolies idea of charging for the bags - we have gone all this time with " free " plastic bags, Now that " woke " has taken over and the constant objections to everything, we again have to " pay " for our sins. When will the money grabbing finish - my money tree has dried up and died.

It's sad that this customer had this experience - but this is such a necessary change for our environment. I hope more people realise that and are a little more patient with the minor inconveniences.

I still get my online orders in reusable plastic bags from Woolworths which is great. My heavy groceries would be more than 6kg so the paper bags would be no good. I am all for the environment but be sensible and produce something practical and usable and dont' make it overseas.

Reactions: Jersey Girl

We always carried our shopping in paper bags in the old days or a “string” bag for heavier or damp items. It’s not rocket science, people need to start solving problems for themselves instead of expecting others to do it for them.

• Love
Reactions: Dale
We always carried our shopping in paper bags in the old days or a “string” bag for heavier or damp items. It’s not rocket science, people need to start solving problems for themselves instead of expecting others to do it for them.
I still use string bags if shopping in person but now because of my age and health need my groceries delivered, so appreciate that the delivery men bring my 8kg bags of litter to my door, some in a plastic bag and some just carry them, unfortunately the way the litter bags are made with their handle they tend to break and it makes it very hard for the delivery men. I would like the litter company to come up with something sustainable but practical as well.

Reactions: Defiant540
I still use string bags if shopping in person but now because of my age and health need my groceries delivered, so appreciate that the delivery men bring my 8kg bags of litter to my door, some in a plastic bag and some just carry them, unfortunately the way the litter bags are made with their handle they tend to break and it makes it very hard for the delivery men. I would like the litter company to come up with something sustainable but practical as well.

Maybe if they used the reusable plastic bags for the "cold wet" items and the paper for the rest?

I pointed out in an earlier post what a wonderfully financial benefit Woollies & Coles are getting from the whole greenie plastic bag saga.
Not sure where it is now but they are making heaps out of it all...:(

Reactions: tomtom
unfortunately a lot of the purchased bags are now ending up in landfil ,seems aussies dont mind the extra cost, personally i refuse to pay for bags,whats next , pay for receipts?... i only now buy what i can carry, the old bio degradable grey bags were good ,very useful for second use in parceling up rubbish and enclosing very smelly and sticky rubbish and reduced flies and vermin before breaking down in a matter of months.... now the tip is full of 20 cent plastic bags (not so bio degradable)..... still china wins again making billions of more expensive ,not so bio degradable bags....

USE CARDBOARD BOXES, for Heaven 's Sake!!! Woolies and Coles crush thousands of cardboard boxes every day, and millions every year!!
CARDBOARD BOXES are soooo easy to pack, much easier to lift and carry, don't cost extra, and are useful for so many things, or flatten them and recycle responsibly!
Why are these supermarkets soooo stupid? The boxes are right there in front of them.

USE CARDBOARD BOXES, for Heaven 's Sake!!! Woolies and Coles crush thousands of cardboard boxes every day, and millions every year!!
CARDBOARD BOXES are soooo easy to pack, much easier to lift and carry, don't cost extra, and are useful for so many things, or flatten them and recycle responsibly!
Why are these supermarkets soooo stupid? The boxes are right there in front of them.
Supermarkets are certainly not stupid, every bag you buy from them makes a profit for them, just a bit on but multiplied by millions of bags.. wheee $$$$$ To make boxes available to customers would take up space where they could be selling stuff.. They can't even supply the odd seat for the disabled or aged customers. Moreover I don't believe that the supermarket giants actually GIVE their boxes to the recyclers, not in those quantities... If you can do your own shopping use reusable bags, otherwise be happy adding to their profits. :(

take a trip to the local tip and you will see the old grey bags(bio degradable) have been replaced by the 20 cent bags (not so degradable), those old grey bags had a lot of secondary uses in keeping germs at bay and broke down in months, reduced flies good for dog droppings,and a hundred other uses.. think about it , all this has achieved is more money for china , and more expensive, and slower degrading bags for our tips etc..i do reuse my supermarket bags, but i am definately a minority,( not my opinion ,)take a trip to the local tip, and see for yourself, also if coles and woolies are honest ,checkout thier other pastic bag uses that could be done away with , eg meat cuts ,re packaged deli cuts. etc, in moulded plastic containers ,much worse for the environment, but thats ok coles and woolies dont have to pay for those, they insist the suppliers pay . v ery clever

Reactions: Vinylted
I should read labels more, Woollies green push obviously doesn't include local manufacturers.. their now expensive "reusable" plastic bags are made in Germany! Their paper bags which break when wet, are made in Vietnam! Can't local suppliers be sourced for heavens sake! I have groceries delivered to the boot.. extra fee $1 for the plastic bags.... four this week.. ie 25cents each. A very nice profit indeed.. :censored:

• Sad
Reactions: Liz