Is your power bank a ticking time bomb? Cygnett Magmove 5k Dual Magnet Power Bank recalled

In today's fast-paced world, staying connected is more important than ever, and portable power banks have become essential for keeping our devices charged on the go.

However, a recent recall has highlighted that not all chargers are created equal, and some may even pose a significant risk to your safety.

The Cygnett MagMove 5K Dual Magnet Power Bank, a popular choice among Australian consumers for its convenience and compatibility with various devices, was urgently recalled by Product Safety Australia (PSA).

This recall affects units sold nationally from September 2023 through March 2024 at well-known retailers including JB HiFi, Officeworks, Harvey Norman, Telstra, and The Good Guys.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 070835.jpg
The Cygnett MagMove 5K Dual Magnet Power Bank was recalled due to concerns about the potential for overheating and fire hazards. Credits: Cygnett

The reason behind this recall was a serious one: the power bank was found to potentially overheat to the point of catching fire.

This wasn't just a minor inconvenience; it's a serious hazard that could lead to 'serious burn injury' or significant property damage.

Imagine the devastation of a fire starting in your home, car, or while tucked in your bag—all because of a device that's supposed to bring convenience, not chaos.

Customers who have purchased this power bank are urged to cease using it ‘immediately’.

‘Return power banks to the place of purchase for a full refund,’ PSA stated.

For more information, you can visit Cygnett's website, or contact their customer service directly via email at [email protected], or by calling (03) 9912 9100.

As concerns arise over the safety of electronic devices, consumers are reminded of the importance of prioritising product safety when considering new gadgets and accessories.

This emphasis on safety is particularly relevant in light of discussions surrounding similar innovative camping gadgets like the one Kmart is offering.

While such devices offer convenience and utility for outdoor enthusiasts, it's crucial to assess their quality and reliability to ensure they meet safety standards, and mitigate the risk of accidents, especially in remote or rugged environments.

By staying informed and exercising caution in their purchasing decisions, people can enjoy the benefits of modern technology while minimising potential hazards during their outdoor adventures.
Key Takeaways
  • The Cygnett MagMove 5K Dual Magnet Power Bank was recalled by Product Safety Australia due to a risk it could overheat and catch fire.
  • The potentially dangerous product was sold at popular Australian retailers, including JB HiFi, Officeworks, Harvey Norman, Telstra, and The Good Guys.
  • Consumers were advised to stop using the recalled power banks immediately to prevent serious burn injuries or damage to property.
  • Customers can return the power banks to the place of purchase for a full refund, and more information is available through Cygnett’s website or customer service contact.
Have you ever experienced issues with your portable chargers? Do you have any safety tips to share when it comes to using these devices? We'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
You know what we have quite a few powerbanks and they are years old, and never have they had a recall been put on them. They work fine and we are about to go back overseas with one that was given to us on a Christmas river cruise in 2014. Who said we are a throw away society?

I had a 26800mAH power bank (60W) power bank back in January 2021 , I went to help my sister who was looking after our Dad . My Sister lived in Harwood near Bolton , in England . I was going to stop 6 months but Covid broke out and I had to leave to get back home to Perth, Western Australia. This was March 22nd .
The power bank was about 5 months old , bought from Kogan. I had my apple phone on charge on my bed about 2 feet away from my face, I had fallen asleep ( it was around 11.30 pm )
then at around 1.30 am I was awoken to a huge bang , I was faced with a fire in front of my face, the power bank had just exploded , set the bedding on fire, luckily the plastic ends of the power bank (the body was metal) were not facing my face or I would of been badly hurt or could of lost my sight ! There were 6 batteries inside so six explosions ensued. The whole room had to be cleaned out, redecorated and everything in the room replaced. Curtains,carpets,and furniture had plastic stuck in them and the toxic fumes were horrendous. Kogan.com recompensed us fully including the excess on my sisters insurance . Well done to them.
Alan C.

Attachments

• IMG_4095.jpeg
    IMG_4095.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4093.jpeg
    IMG_4093.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4092.jpeg
    IMG_4092.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4087.jpeg