Is your package safe? A shocking act reveals an alarming Aussie issue

Waiting with anticipation for the arrival of a parcel is a familiar feeling for most of us. The excitement of a new purchase can be swiftly soured, however, if delivery falls short of expectations.

That’s why it’s unsettling to learn that almost half of all Australians have reported an issue with their mail deliveries in the last year, according to the latest data.

If you’ve faced delays or received damaged packages, you're not alone in these challenges.

Recent data revealed many Australians encountered postal issues last year. With the upcoming holiday season, experts cautioned against suspicious actions.

While the majority of delivery personnel are dedicated and professional, there are rare instances of lapses.

This is evident in a recent video that depicted some couriers across the nation handling delicate packages ‘very disrespectfully’.

In one video, postal workers, unaware of being recorded, can be observed mishandling parcels—kicking them, handling them without care, and sometimes throwing them at great distances.

Lucy Jane from Queensland was heartbroken when her recently ordered garden gnome was delivered broken.

Reviewing her security footage, the reason became clear. ‘He just picked up the package, and he just threw the package, I was really surprised at just how disrespectful he had been...I couldn't believe it,’ Jane shared.

Based on data from Compare The Market, over the past year, 25 per cent of Australians reported late online orders, 14 per cent mentioned non-delivered packages, and 10 per cent stated their parcels were mistakenly delivered elsewhere.

Many respondents also indicated damage to their items during shipping.

‘If a package is left at your property and it becomes damaged, this typically isn’t something your contents insurer will cover,’ said Adrian Taylor, Compare the Market’s General Manager of General Insurance.

‘Instead, you’ll likely need to raise the issue directly with the company delivering your packages or the retailer where you purchased your items from.’

‘However, it’s worth pointing out that if you consent to packages being left on your property without tracking or the requirement of a signature, you may struggle to get a refund or your stolen packages back.’

While these statistics paint a broad picture of the challenges facing the postal system, individual stories highlight the personal experiences behind these numbers.

compressed-claudio-schwarz-q8kR_ie6WnI-unsplash (1).jpeg
Recent data shows nearly half of all Australians reported mail delivery issues in the past year. Image source: Pixabay

In one video, postal workers, unaware of being recorded, can be observed mishandling parcels—kicking them, handling them without care, and sometimes throwing them at great distances.

Lucy Jane from Queensland was heartbroken when her recently ordered garden gnome was delivered broken.

Reviewing her security footage, the reason became clear. ‘He just picked up the package, and he just threw the package, I was really surprised at just how disrespectful he had been...I couldn't believe it,’ Jane shared.

Based on data from Compare The Market, over the past year, 25 per cent of Australians reported late online orders, 14 per cent mentioned non-delivered packages, and 10 per cent stated their parcels were mistakenly delivered elsewhere.

‘If a package is left at your property and it becomes damaged, this typically isn’t something your contents insurer will cover,’ said Adrian Taylor, Compare the Market’s General Manager of General Insurance.

‘Instead, you’ll likely need to raise the issue directly with the company delivering your packages or the retailer where you purchased your items from.’

‘However, it’s worth pointing out that if you consent to packages being left on your property without tracking or the requirement of a signature, you may struggle to get a refund or your stolen packages back.’

While these statistics paint a broad picture of the challenges facing the postal system, individual stories highlight the personal experiences behind these numbers.

31464-906ff250-618e-11ee-9f28-1313fa69e160.jpg
A HelloFresh driver was captured on camera tossing a box to a Canberra woman's doorstep. Image source: Social media.

In Canberra, a doorbell camera captured a HelloFresh driver tossing a meal kit over a resident's railing late at night, causing food items to burst.

Read the full story here.
Key Takeaways

• Almost half of all Australians have reported an issue with their mail deliveries in the last year.
  • CCTV footage has revealed some couriers treating fragile mail very disrespectfully, including kicking parcels and throwing them across properties.
  • One in 10 Aussies said a parcel had been delivered to a different address entirely, and many reported their items were damaged during transit.
  • General Manager of General Insurance at Compare the Market, Adrian Taylor, warned that regular contents insurance typically would not cover packages damaged on the homeowner's property.
Members, how have your mail deliveries been this year? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
Waiting with anticipation for the arrival of a parcel is a familiar feeling for most of us. The excitement of a new purchase can be swiftly soured, however, if delivery falls short of expectations.

That’s why it’s unsettling to learn that almost half of all Australians have reported an issue with their mail deliveries in the last year, according to the latest data.

If you’ve faced delays or received damaged packages, you're not alone in these challenges.

Recent data revealed many Australians encountered postal issues last year. With the upcoming holiday season, experts cautioned against suspicious actions.

While the majority of delivery personnel are dedicated and professional, there are rare instances of lapses.

This is evident in a recent video that depicted some couriers across the nation handling delicate packages ‘very disrespectfully’.

View attachment 33710
Recent data shows nearly half of all Australians reported mail delivery issues in the past year. Image source: Pixabay

View attachment 33709
A HelloFresh driver was captured on camera tossing a box to a Canberra woman's doorstep. Image source: Social media.

In Canberra, a doorbell camera captured a HelloFresh driver tossing a meal kit over a resident's railing late at night, causing food items to burst.

Key Takeaways

• Almost half of all Australians have reported an issue with their mail deliveries in the last year.
  • CCTV footage has revealed some couriers treating fragile mail very disrespectfully, including kicking parcels and throwing them across properties.
  • One in 10 Aussies said a parcel had been delivered to a different address entirely, and many reported their items were damaged during transit.
  • General Manager of General Insurance at Compare the Market, Adrian Taylor, warned that regular contents insurance typically would not cover packages damaged on the homeowner's property.
Members, how have your mail deliveries been this year? Share your experiences in the comments below!
If I can prove mishandling, I'll contact the supplier for the reutrn of the goods regardless of their condition, and when asked to clarify I still want what was oredered. Invariably they will resnde and tell me to throw away the original?

I have a large mail/parcel unit at my front gate yet, despite there being a clear 'LIFT' sign on the top of the unit, parcels are invariably left anywhere on my property but NOT in the unit! Also I live in a Unit, number 8 and am constantly getting mail/deliveries for House number 8 which is further up the street....surely Auspost and other couriers can see that mine is a Unit (given there are two others attached to it) AND NOT A HOUSE!!

Reactions: Chicky and Bridgit

View attachment 33710

View attachment 33709

Key Takeaways

She's not the only one
Lucky my package wasn't in glass otherwise it would've been broken. He was right in front of my door and yet he just threw it on the ground. So pathetic.

• Angry
Reactions: Chicky and Bridgit
I have a large mail/parcel unit at my front gate yet, despite there being a clear 'LIFT' sign on the top of the unit, parcels are invariably left anywhere on my property but NOT in the unit! Also I live in a Unit, number 8 and am constantly getting mail/deliveries for House number 8 which is further up the street....surely Auspost and other couriers can see that mine is a Unit (given there are two others attached to it) AND NOT A HOUSE!!
Common sense is not a requirement of the job these days, unfortunately.

I am always home and get annoyed when they deliver a parcel and do not even bother to ring the bell knock on the door or even toot the horn. In my neighbourhood it is not safe to even leave a sprinkler out for fear of it being stolen.

View attachment 33710

View attachment 33709

Key Takeaways

My parcels go to post office. Haven't had any problems all good

I have ordered a lot on line this Christmas and i must admit i have had no problems. I do have a leave at front door on most and they do what it says if i am not at home which isn’t very often. I am still waiting on a couple of items so hope I haven’t jinxed myself. I usually get an email showing a photo of the parcel left at my front door. I am in Queensland.

I do order a few things from Temu. They used to have things delivered with Australia Post and that was fine, even if they would leave things on my front door step without ringing the bell (so annoying) but recently they have changed to a logistics company who arrive in normal cars (so they must use their own personal cars) and have found things thrown just over the gates - once under a tyre of my car. I've complained but they pushed back and said I had to give the logistics company my details for delivery. Went to their site and then was pushed to another site. No thanks.

So you have to take your chances.

I buy a lot on line , Aus Post have no problem delivering to my address , yet CouriersPlease cannot deliver ? They claim to have attempted a delivery , we were home ! Took 3 weeks to get parcel delivered from Perth location , which ultimately was delivered by Aus Post !! Also Couriers are very difficult to contact , would not recommend them to anyone .Temu also can’t seem to deliver here have received an order refund because items never arrived ??

Ordered a simple parcel 06/12/2023 and advised one to four business days for delivery coming from Melbourne. Still Waiting. Not Happy.

Ordered a simple parcel 06/12/2023 and advised one to four business days for delivery coming from Melbourne. Still Waiting. Not Happy.
Are you in WA?Because I find everything takes at least a week or more coming from the east coast

View attachment 33710

View attachment 33709

Key Takeaways

I live bush,so have PO box

Are you in WA?Because I find everything takes at least a week or more coming from the east coast
Yes, but 25 days is a bit much, especially when they state 1-4 days. I also ordered products coming from Singapore 10/12/23 and received them 20/12/2023.

Maybe he just thought he would help and toss the salad.?

• Haha
Reactions: Milica
I am home all the time and I need some of my parcels brought inside for me because of a disability. The delivery guys do not ring the door bell and I get stuck trying to get boxes etc into the house because I use a walker. There is only one driver who will always help me and I did give him something for Christmas. All the others just dump on the porch without ringing the bell.

The people who deliver our parcels are very good. We recognise them and they recognise us. They usually knock on the door and Often wait until we have come out to get it. We always thank them and wave. We are all friendly. I have NO complaints. Even the postie leaves things where they should be left. and in a proper manner.

Reactions: Milica