Is your motorbike affected by this dangerous recall?

It's never a good thing to hear that a product you've purchased has been recalled due to safety concerns— especially when it's an expensive item like a motorbike.

Unfortunately, those who own a Harley-Davidson motorcycle produced between the period of 2017 to 2023 are among those affected by a recent recall.

The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts has warned that the recall affects 3,676 units of Softail motorbikes of the following variants: FLDE, FLHC, FLHCS, FLHCS ANV, FXLRS and FXLRST.

Screenshot 2023-09-20 071605.png
Harley-Davidson recalled motorbikes due to safety concerns. Credit: Harley-Davidson

The fault is caused by a ‘manufacturing issue’ with the rear shock absorber adjuster mounting bolt.

The shock absorber may break under normal driving conditions and cause damage to the rear tyre, causing a loss in tyre pressure.

The recall on the government website explained, ‘A sudden loss of tyre air pressure whilst riding may result in loss of vehicle control increasing the risk of an accident, causing injury or death to rider and/or passenger and other road users.’

You can check the Vehicle identification number (VIN) of the affected motorbikes here.

Harley-Davidson Australia has stated they will arrange for all affected owners to have their motorbikes repaired for free at their nearest Harley-Davidson dealer.

You can find a local dealership through this link.

For more information, you can call Harley-Davidson Australia on (02) 9886 0600 or email the company at [email protected].

This news follows the recent recall by Harley-Davidson of their fastener and accessory rear suspension kits for certain Softail motorcycles.

Product Safety Australia stated on their website: ‘The fastener may fracture, potentially allowing the rear shock absorber adjuster to contact the rear tyre.’

You can read more about that recall here.

Key Takeaways
  • Harley-Davidson has issued a recall for thousands of motorbikes in Australia due to a part that could potentially cause crashes.
  • The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts warned that the rear shock absorber adjuster mounting bolt may break, causing damage to the rear tyre and a loss of tyre pressure.
  • The potential fault, affecting 3676 Softail motorbikes of various models from the 2017 to 2023 period, was caused by a 'manufacturing issue'.
  • Owners of the affected motorcycles are urged to contact their nearest Harley-Davidson Australia dealer to arrange a free repair.

Are you, or anyone you know, affected by this recall? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
It's never a good thing to hear that a product you've purchased has been recalled due to safety concerns— especially when it's an expensive item like a motorbike.

Unfortunately, those who own a Harley-Davidson motorcycle produced between the period of 2017 to 2023 are among those affected by a recent recall.

The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts has warned that the recall affects 3,676 units of Softail motorbikes of the following variants: FLDE, FLHC, FLHCS, FLHCS ANV, FXLRS and FXLRST.

View attachment 30336
Harley-Davidson recalled motorbikes due to safety concerns. Credit: Harley-Davidson

The fault is caused by a ‘manufacturing issue’ with the rear shock absorber adjuster mounting bolt.

The shock absorber may break under normal driving conditions and cause damage to the rear tyre, causing a loss in tyre pressure.

The recall on the government website explained, ‘A sudden loss of tyre air pressure whilst riding may result in loss of vehicle control increasing the risk of an accident, causing injury or death to rider and/or passenger and other road users.’

You can check the Vehicle identification number (VIN) of the affected motorbikes here.

Harley-Davidson Australia has stated they will arrange for all affected owners to have their motorbikes repaired for free at their nearest Harley-Davidson dealer.

You can find a local dealership through this link.

For more information, you can call Harley-Davidson Australia on (02) 9886 0600 or email the company at [email protected].

This news follows the recent recall by Harley-Davidson of their fastener and accessory rear suspension kits for certain Softail motorcycles.

Product Safety Australia stated on their website: ‘The fastener may fracture, potentially allowing the rear shock absorber adjuster to contact the rear tyre.’

You can read more about that recall here.

Key Takeaways

• Harley-Davidson has issued a recall for thousands of motorbikes in Australia due to a part that could potentially cause crashes.
  • The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts warned that the rear shock absorber adjuster mounting bolt may break, causing damage to the rear tyre and a loss of tyre pressure.
  • The potential fault, affecting 3676 Softail motorbikes of various models from the 2017 to 2023 period, was caused by a 'manufacturing issue'.
  • Owners of the affected motorcycles are urged to contact their nearest Harley-Davidson Australia dealer to arrange a free repair.

Are you, or anyone you know, affected by this recall? Let us know in the comments!
I preferred the Indian motorbike myself, Harley's were to much trouble I forget how many pints of oil per mile?.

My brother used to own Harleys. He always said that if you see a motorbike on the back of a tow truck trailer - it's a Harley.
He now owns 2 types of Triumphs. I think it's madness having 2, but he reckons they do different things.

My brother used to own Harleys. He always said that if you see a motorbike on the back of a tow truck trailer - it's a Harley.
He now owns 2 types of Triumphs. I think it's madness having 2, but he reckons they do different things.
There is one advantage of Harley's, if you see them on the road then you know it isn't going to rain?.

My son has a Harley and paid around $60,000 for it hopefully it's not his.

My grandson loves going on the back. This is my grandson who is severely autistic and loves it
View attachment 30391
That's wonderful your Grandson loves going on the back.
My son recently bought a Harley streetglide, paid $45,000 for it, this recall as I gather pertains to the softails, pass on the info to your son, lets hope it's not part of the recall.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Weeeellll .... it is a Harley-Davidson, isn't it. Another of those "What did you expect" moments.

In 2000 I bought a Yamaha XV1600. It looked like a Fatboy with its soft-tail frame. I had it for twenty years and only had to replace a rear shock absorber and clutch (after about 160,000 klicks). I would still be riding it except that a 90 year old with dementia turned in front of me (his 85- year old doctor had written his "fit to drive" letter to Qld Transport dept.). The bike was still repairable, but I sod it. Two years later, I bought another and I am still riding it. My mates used to laugh about my Yamaharley. I don't care. The only two states that I have not cruised in are West Australia and Tasmania.

The XV1600 has no resale value ... but if you own one, you don't want to sell them.

Reactions: Fat&fancy
My son has just bought a beautiful Harley Davidson street glide worth 45 grand, beautiful bike and he loves RIDING it, you don't drive bikes! :ROFLMAO:
It's a saying about Harleys that's been going around for 40 years.

Their handling has always been atrocious with terrible ground clearance. Give me a Kawasaki ZX-10 or a Suzuki GSX1000R any day of the week.

It's a saying about Harleys that's been going around for 40 years.

Their handling has always been atrocious with terrible ground clearance. Give me a Kawasaki ZX-10 or a Suzuki GSX1000R any day of the week.
It is a saying, but it's called Hardly Rideable ... bikes don't drive. ;)

Reactions: Veggiepatch