Is your cold medicine safe? Shocking death sparks urgent health warning you can't ignore!

As we welcome the cooler months, many of us reach for our trusted cold and flu remedies to ward off the sniffles and sneezes that come with the season.

However, a recent tragic event has prompted a stern warning from the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) about a popular ‘immunity’ supplement that could carry more risk than relief.

The sudden death of 37-year-old Queensland man Cale Agosta, suspected to be caused by a fatal anaphylactic reaction after taking BioCeuticals’ ArmaForce, raised serious concerns.

This supplement, which can be purchased over the counter at pharmacies, contains andrographis paniculata—a herb whose risks are now under scrutiny.

compressed-shutterstock_2020898537.jpeg
Queensland man Cale Agosta died from a suspected anaphylactic reaction to a cold and flu supplement containing andrographis paniculata. Credit: Shutterstock

The TGA expressed that there is a lack of comprehensive knowledge about the risk factors associated with andrographis allergy.

‘Little is currently known about the risk factors for andrographis allergy,’ the TGA stated.

‘We are evaluating this safety concern and are considering whether the current label warning for andrographis is sufficient to address this risk.’

Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction to andrographis, as outlined by the TGA, include difficult or noisy breathing, swelling of the tongue, tightness in the throat, persistent coughing or wheezing, hoarseness or difficulty speaking, and persistent dizziness or collapse.

Since 2005, there have been 300 reports of anaphylaxis or hypersensitivity reactions to andrographis, with a significant increase to 200 since 2019.

Over 80 per cent of the reported reactions to andrographis occurred in medications that also included echinacea.

‘Immediately stop using a medicine containing andrographis and seek medical advice if you experience any signs of an allergic reaction,’ the TGA advised.

A spokesman from Blackmores, the parent company of BioCeuticals, stated that all of its products comply with current TGA regulations.

Meanwhile, Pharmacy Guild WA President Andrew Ngeow emphasised the importance of customers seeking advice on the safety and risks of using medication with andrographis.

‘We expect that all suppliers, including pharmacists, should be aware and adhere to the recommendations. As trained healthcare professionals, pharmacists are best placed to handle these adverse reactions and discuss the use of medications with all patients,’ he stated.

The loss of Mr Agosta has deeply affected his community, prompting a family friend to launch a GoFundMe campaign that has raised over $200,000 for his wife and two children.

‘Cale is a loyal friend, a devoted husband and a loving father. An electrician by trade, he was the main provider for the family,’ friend Steve Brittain wrote online.

‘If the roles were reversed, I know Cale would give us the shirt off his back as I watched him do it weekly for 20 years. Forever helping others with odd jobs and asking nothing in return.’

Andrographis is approved for use in Australia in low-risk medications and is found in approximately 100 registered medicines in Australia, commonly used to treat cold and flu symptoms or boost the immune system.

Many of these are readily available in supermarkets, health food stores, and pharmacies.

Since 2019, medicines containing andrographis must carry a warning label stating ‘andrographis may cause allergic reactions in some people’ and urging medical attention if one occurs.

In the event of a serious allergic reaction, the TGA urges consumers to seek urgent medical advice and call 000.

The TGA also cautioned individuals with a history of allergic reactions to be cautious.

‘You should be cautious using these medicines if you do not have reliable access to medical care,’ they said.

‘This is because severe reactions have been reported to occur in patients who have previously used these medicines without a reaction.’

‘If you have a history of allergic reactions, you should be cautious using a medicine containing andrographis and stop using it at the first sign of any allergic reaction.’

‘If you have previously experienced a severe allergic reaction, including anaphylaxis to any trigger, you should avoid medicines containing andrographis.’

‘This is because the risk factors for a severe reaction to andrographis are unknown,’ they added.

While the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) issues a critical warning about a widely-used cold and flu medicine following a tragic incident, concerns over herbal supplements have also surfaced.

Recently, the TGA revealed alarming health risks associated with a popular herbal supplement, prompting further scrutiny into the safety of alternative remedies.

These revelations highlight ongoing concerns about consumer safety and the need for informed choices in managing health conditions.
Key Takeaways
  • A 37-year-old Queensland man died after a suspected fatal anaphylactic reaction to a cold and flu supplement containing andrographis paniculata.
  • The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) is reviewing the warnings for medicines containing andrographis due to concerns over unknown risk factors associated with the herb.
  • There have been 300 reports of anaphylaxis or hypersensitivity reactions to andrographis since 2005, prompting the TGA to advise the public to stop using the medicine at the first sign of an allergic reaction.
  • Andrographis is a common ingredient in over-the-counter treatments for cold, flu, and immune system support, but those with a history of allergic reactions were cautioned to be wary of using such medicines.
Have you or someone you know experienced any adverse reactions to cold and flu supplements? Share your experiences in the comments below to help others stay informed.

Sponsored
How many millions of us, as myself, have never heard of these products. Are these substances printed on cold medicine bottles, &, with a warning thereon ? I'll certainly will be looking out for them next time I buy a bottle of self cure.

Andrographis Paniculata, Anaphylaxis "?"

What a terrible way to die! I have had an anaphylactic experience with penicillin & I know how scary it is. We are not necessarily born with allergies but they can come upon us at any time in our life. I was allergic to peanuts (they are not nuts but legumes) for 20 years before I grew out of it. I am now allergic to morphine & penicillin in the last 5 years. All of this product should be removed from pharmacies as there is bound to be another case for someone. My condolences to Cale's family, what a dreadful loss & so young! RIP

People complain about pharmaceuticals manufactured by "Big Pharma". Try looking at the so called natural remedies which contain dubious and unregulated ingredients. Do you recall some woman who died after ingesting some mushroom infused witches' brew at a Victorian "wellness" retreat? What toxin was present in that preparation? Probably psilocybin, a tryptamine capable of altering the brain chemistry.

So what exactly is in these "natural" remedies? "Reputable" companies such as Nature's Own, Swisse and Blackmore's manufacture such as crap, making outrageous claims to cure anything from a broken fingernail to cerebral palsy. I wouldn't ingest such rubbish if you held a gun to my head!

I'm confused! Are you pro vaccine or anti vaccine?
Im NOT anti vaccine, had all mine as a kid, my kids do to, but current days, the NOW , I’m anti trial drugs pushed on humans.
Remember a trial drug cannot be called a vaccine, it is yet to pass all its tests, and the current ones are failing human kind severely !

Now as I said, 1 person dies and it’s a warning to all !
Millions die from a supposed cure/saviour to a plandemic that may have killed only a few , yet is pushed by governments upon the people to keep taking more and more of it !
There WILL be many more deaths soon from this !!

Wow, so 1 person dies from a cold and flue remedy, and let’s warn the population, yet millions are forced to take a deadly but safe and effective vaccine, and millions of people die and have serious adverse effects !!
How many have died from that safe and effective vaccine you refer to? If millions as you say the statistics will be availble. If you can't support your claim I will be obliged to call you a blatant liar.

How many have died from that safe and effective vaccine you refer to? If millions as you say the statistics will be availble. If you can't support your claim I will be obliged to call you a blatant liar.
Why not try doing your due diligence, in homework, and find out for yourself, rather than be a keyboard warrior and call me a liar, there isn’t enough space here, nor do I have the time to be schooling you Rob44.
But maybe start with not using google, and use another search provider, which will give you an unbiased search !

Reactions: Robeo56 and Djinni
A
How many millions of us, as myself, have never heard of these products. Are these substances printed on cold medicine bottles, &, with a warning thereon ? I'll certainly will be looking out for them next time I buy a bottle of self cure.

Andrographis Paniculata, Anaphylaxis "?"
"Andrographis (Andrographis paniculate) is a plant native to South Asian countries. It is commonly used in the traditional Indian medicine system, Ayurveda.

Andrographis leaf and stem might work by stimulating the immune system. It might also prevent flu viruses from binding to cells in the body.

People commonly use andrographis for the common cold, osteoarthritis, infection of the throat and tonsils, and a type of bowel disease called ulcerative colitis. It is also used for many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support its other uses."

A plant used in assorted medications. Probably not as good as nosegays of garlic in preventing the Plague, but a herbal medicine used commonly in Asia.

• Haha
Reactions: Rickcb63 and Ezzy
Im NOT anti vaccine, had all mine as a kid, my kids do to, but current days, the NOW , I’m anti trial drugs pushed on humans.
Remember a trial drug cannot be called a vaccine, it is yet to pass all its tests, and the current ones are failing human kind severely !

Now as I said, 1 person dies and it’s a warning to all !
Millions die from a supposed cure/saviour to a plandemic that may have killed only a few , yet is pushed by governments upon the people to keep taking more and more of it !
There WILL be many more deaths soon from this !!
Two persons died in a motor vehicle collision yesterday.

LET'S BAN ALL FORMS OF MOTORISED TRANSPORT!!!

Damn knee jerk reactionary conspirator!

• Haha
Reactions: Rickcb63 and Ezzy
Why not try doing your due diligence, in homework, and find out for yourself, rather than be a keyboard warrior and call me a liar, there isn’t enough space here, nor do I have the time to be schooling you Rob44.
But maybe start with not using google, and use another search provider, which will give you an unbiased search !
You made the claim. It is incumbent on YOU to support that claim, lest you be called a liar. I have done my due diligence and presented elsewhere information contrary to your lies . A reminder, 139 654 adverse events in about 68 864 839 covid-19 vaccinations administered, as per TGA report dated November 2023. Adverse events are not necessarily deaths. You may also find out from the TGA website how much of which vaccines were administered and how many adverse events are attributed to which vaccine.

Now it is your turn to justify your claim, through production of figures from reputable peer-reviewed journals, that millions of deaths have occurred.

Then perhaps you can discuss the issue sanely and without prejudice.

Wow, so 1 person dies from a cold and flue remedy, and let’s warn the population, yet millions are forced to take a deadly but safe and effective vaccine, and millions of people die and have serious adverse effects !!
And how many would have died if Covid immunisation wasn't compulsory??? I'm so glad I have had the immunisation & still do!!!

The best thing for a cold is to exclude more serious infections like Covid rest. Use safe things like saline spray and paracetamol. It takes time to recover.
Totally agree, rets, fluids and paracetamol are the best remedy. I am lucky I have never been allergic to anything in my life, but I’m sure there would be some products I have never used that I could be allergic to.