Is Tupperware on the Brink of Extinction? People Share Their Thoughts on the Iconic Kitchen Staple

Tupperware has been a household name since the 1960s, with many of us attending Tupperware parties and investing in their iconic plastic containers. However, recent news articles suggest that the company could soon become history if not bought by another company. In an engaging discussion on the popular UK seniors' forum GransNet, members shared their thoughts on the potential decline of this once-thriving brand, revealing a mix of nostalgia and indifference.

shutterstock_2282811175.jpg
Do you still use Tupperware at home? Image source: Shutterstock.

One user lamented the pressure of buying overpriced items at Tupperware parties, while another confessed to a sense of dread at the obligatory purchases. ‘I always felt obliged to order something,’ said the commenter, highlighting the financial pressure experienced by many attendees. Others shared a sense of surprise that Tupperware was still going, having thought it was already history. Despite this, many expressed fondness for their longstanding Tupperware items, praising their durability and usefulness.

For some users, it seemed as though there was a clear distinction between the value of Tupperware products and the social obligation of attending Tupperware parties. While the latter may have been a burden, the former was often considered worth the investment. One user posed the question, ‘Is something overpriced or is it good value for money, bearing in mind that so many similar items are much poorer quality and end up in the recycling bin?’ Indeed, several participants echoed this sentiment, acknowledging the high price of Tupperware but appreciating the lasting quality of their products.

Another user shared their practical use of Tupperware, storing various baking ingredients and frequently using the jelly mould. However, they admitted to preferring alternative brands for other types of containers. This demonstrates the increasing competition Tupperware has faced from cheaper and more readily available alternatives. One user said, ‘I used to go to Tupperware parties out of loneliness and end up buying things that I couldn't really afford.’ The prevalence of other options may have contributed to Tupperware's waning popularity in recent years.

Nevertheless, some GransNet users shared more positive memories of Tupperware, revealing that their jugs, containers, utensils, and more have lasted for decades. One commenter said their mother enjoyed attending Tupperware parties and wasn't the type to be pressured into purchasing. This suggests that, for some, the social aspect of Tupperware gatherings was valuable and the investment in their quality products worthwhile.

However, not everyone felt sentimental towards the potential decline of Tupperware. One commenter said, ‘There are so many cheaper alternatives now...I couldn't care less that they are in trouble.’ With the market now saturated with more affordable and accessible options, it's no surprise that some feel less attachment to the brand.

Before Tupperware, Australian households relied on less ‘efficient’ methods like glass jars, wax paper, or ceramic containers with cork stoppers. Tupperware's arrival on Aussie shores in the early 1960s signified a shift in both food storage and consumption culture, and it quickly became a household staple.

Its introduction coincided with the growing desire for better food preservation techniques amidst increasing reliance on refrigerators. Australian families embraced Tupperware's practicality and durability in preserving their produce, leftovers, and meals for days or even weeks. The versatility of the containers transformed the way people consumed and stored food, ultimately reducing waste and saving money in the process.

Ultimately, while many users expressed nostalgia and appreciation for the quality and longevity of Tupperware products, the social and financial pressures of their marketing strategy may have left a lasting negative impression on others. As more affordable and convenient alternatives have emerged, it appears that Tupperware's once-iconic status is now being challenged… Not to mention, there is undoubtedly a shift away from plastic and towards more sustainable materials like glass.

Do you have any memories or experiences relating to Tupperware? Maybe you attended your fair share of Tupperware parties? Share your memories and thoughts below with fellow members and continue the conversation!

Sponsored
One great thing about tuppaware is that it has a lifetime guarantee. If it breaks, cracks or doesn't behave as it should it is replaced, no questions asked, for YOUR LIFETIME!
Unfortunately, that is not true. They no longer stand by their lifetime guarantee. They wriggle out of it by saying that the damage is "impact damage", which is not covered by the lifetime guarantee and you have absolutely no recourse.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Unfortunately, that is not true. They no longer stand by their lifetime guarantee. They wriggle out of it by saying that the damage is "impact damage", which is not covered by the lifetime guarantee and you have absolutely no recourse.
Wow! I got a replacement about 18 months ago, so assumed it was still the case.

I gave all my Tupperware away years ago after 3 lids cracked and yes supposed to be 100% guaranteed but they wouldn’t replace them. I find the containers from shops just as good and heaps cheaper, so if I need to replace one it is cheaper and easier.
I have had Tupperware for yeeeeears and about 4 years ago I had the need to get a couple of replacements, no problems they took the lids and rang me when the new ones were in and I picked them up. I am surprised that you did not get replacements.