Is this viral airport travel hack too risky or genius?

Excess baggage is always a pain, especially when you're trying to board a plane. Not only do you have to lug around your heavy bags, but you also have to pay extra fees for the privilege. It's always a hassle!

That's why it is not surprising that a new "sneaky" trick to avoid paying fees for excess baggage is making the rounds on social media, capturing the attention of millions of users who had mixed reactions to it.

Can you see what the fuss is all about?

TikTok users have recently shared videos of them stuffing their empty pillowcases with clothes before demonstrating how they successfully board the planes without being halted by the staff.

“We tried the airport pillow hack,” says one user who claims that she saved $118 in baggage fees after managing to "sneak in" an extra 6kg of garments onto the flight by packing them in her square-shaped pillowcase.

Another user also shared a video of herself holding onto a pillowcase loaded with clothing on the plane, saying that she too had managed to get away with the offence.

Meanwhile, one passenger, whose video has amassed an astounding 25.1 million views, dubbed the trick as the "best travel hack ever".

"Pillow flies for free," she says in the clip.

Credit: TikTok/@travelwithivon

Several users raved over the hack, with many expressing their excitement to try it themselves.

One user wrote: “We are travelling from Canada to Mexico and I want to try this especially because we are bringing the children.”

“OMG this is another level – I’ve got to try this one,” another added.

A third chimed in: "Smart move."

While the hack offers a solution to a common dilemma that air passengers experience, others were not impressed by it.

Several users even went as far as to describe the tip as "embarrassing."

One comment read: “I’d rather pay the extra weight and save myself the embarrassment if caught.”

“I’ll be so embarrassed if it’s me that they catch,” another said.

GHt-ikLwz7RTRz9uhw1-ILLGNMldIQtVKX0aEN1VgzwPeydEScNpcMwQ8qPtE7y_t5CLvoGlZmNfc9O6Gyg1J9XEx8hkXsbkzgZb6F0e7qIUuiyoEW7BtE8hqB4gRs75oKt5T70F3uvV_hRrRUqj3Q

Social media users weighed in on whether the hack was “genius” or “too risky” to try. Credit: TikTok/@travelwithivon.

Others said that they find the trick "too risky."

“These pillow hacks will soon be seen by airlines and they will start checking them,” one user said.

Another chimed in: “If all passengers do the same thing I think the plane will be overloaded and risk your flight. Be safe mate.”

The videos also captured the attention of an airport employee, who debunked the claim that staff are not aware of the insides of the pillowcases.

“You know we actually see that you have clothes inside it when you put it through scanning," the employee explained.

Why you should not sneak in extra weight while flying

Weight determines how much fuel the aeroplane needs for a flight, which is why excess cargo or passengers (or both) may be offloaded in order to increase the plane's fuel capacity.

According to Australia's Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA), the pilot in command must use conventional weight calculations to make sure that the aircraft's weight and balance are within capacity. The weight for carry-on baggage is established at 7kg per person in CASA's Manual of Standards. Standard weight is the sum of passengers, crew, and carry-on baggage, meaning exceeding this might pose some risks while flying.

Honestly, we do not support anything potentially unsafe so we might pass up on this one. Also, it may even cause further inconvenience if staff interrogate those who try the hack over the extra weight they're carrying while boarding.

How about you? What are your thoughts on this? Do you think this trick is "genius" or "too risky"?

Sponsored
Excess baggage is always a pain, especially when you're trying to board a plane. Not only do you have to lug around your heavy bags, but you also have to pay extra fees for the privilege. It's always a hassle!

That's why it is not surprising that a new "sneaky" trick to avoid paying fees for excess baggage is making the rounds on social media, capturing the attention of millions of users who had mixed reactions to it.

TikTok users have recently shared videos of them stuffing their empty pillowcases with clothes before demonstrating how they successfully board the planes without being halted by the staff.

“We tried the airport pillow hack,” says one user who claims that she saved $118 in baggage fees after managing to "sneak in" an extra 6kg of garments onto the flight by packing them in her square-shaped pillowcase.

Another user also shared a video of herself holding onto a pillowcase loaded with clothing on the plane, saying that she too had managed to get away with the offence.

Meanwhile, one passenger, whose video has amassed an astounding 25.1 million views, dubbed the trick as the "best travel hack ever".

Several users raved over the hack, with many expressing their excitement to try it themselves.

One user wrote: “We are travelling from Canada to Mexico and I want to try this especially because we are bringing the children.”

While the hack offers a solution to a common dilemma that air passengers experience, others were not impressed by it.

One comment read: “I’d rather pay the extra weight and save myself the embarrassment if caught.”

GHt-ikLwz7RTRz9uhw1-ILLGNMldIQtVKX0aEN1VgzwPeydEScNpcMwQ8qPtE7y_t5CLvoGlZmNfc9O6Gyg1J9XEx8hkXsbkzgZb6F0e7qIUuiyoEW7BtE8hqB4gRs75oKt5T70F3uvV_hRrRUqj3Q

Social media users weighed in on whether the hack was “genius” or “too risky” to try. Credit: TikTok/@travelwithivon.

“These pillow hacks will soon be seen by airlines and they will start checking them,” one user said.

Another chimed in: “If all passengers do the same thing I think the plane will be overloaded and risk your flight. Be safe mate.”

The videos also captured the attention of an airport employee, who debunked the claim that staff are not aware of the insides of the pillowcases.

“You know we actually see that you have clothes inside it when you put it through scanning," the employee explained.

Weight determines how much fuel the aeroplane needs for a flight, which is why excess cargo or passengers (or both) may be offloaded in order to increase the plane's fuel capacity.

According to Australia's Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA), the pilot in command must use conventional weight calculations to make sure that the aircraft's weight and balance are within capacity. The weight for carry-on baggage is established at 7kg per person in CASA's Manual of Standards. Standard weight is the sum of passengers, crew, and carry-on baggage, meaning exceeding this might pose some risks while flying.

Honestly, we do not support anything potentially unsafe so we might pass up on this one. Also, it may even cause further inconvenience if staff interrogate those who try the hack over the extra weight they're carrying while boarding.

How about you? What are your thoughts on this? Do you think this trick is "genius" or "too risky"?

I think its STUPID....the pillow is scanned , who are they kidding ? themselves..I wouldnt want my clothes screwed up in a cushion cover & I certianly wouldnt want my clothes confiscated at the airport for trying to cheat the system, finally I already carry my excess baggage on my body, so I dont want to be gready & overload the plane...

Do these people actually think that the airlines put in these restrictions just to p**s people off? Are they so self absorbed that they think they are above the rules and that they only apply to mere mortals? I seriously think these people need to be called out by the airlines and the rules enforced to the letter of the law.:mad:

Stupid as planes have weight restrictions for a reason and uf everybody did that taking all that extra weight on board could cause allsorts of problems

Flying back yesterday from Brisbane to Melbourne after flight got canceled I was surprised how many people had carry on Suitcase a few had trouble lifting them well over the 8 kilo

Reactions: Jennie and Ricci

No, I wouldn't do this. The airlines weigh luggage for a reason, to ensure the weight ratio is correct. People who do this are risking my safety and others.

Do people actualy know why, there is a limit on lugage. It so the plane can safely fly, I know people will say you can pay for extra but that is stored below in cargo holed. Carry on is supposed to be limited and stowed for both balance and safety . So why this obesion with extra .
Well now the the dumb arses have splashed it all over social media, particularly Tic Tock, which by the way everyone should be refusing to use ( do they not listen to the news?!?!), I’m sure that the airport authorities are right onto this little truck by now!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Rochelle and Ricci
I do not understand why people carry massive amounts of luggage when travelling overseas. My wife and I take approximately 14kgs of checked in luggage between us. We also have about 2-3kgs of cabin luggage which includes 1 change of undergarments and t-shirts. Last time we went overseas to Europe for 4 weeks, we put one bag at the check-in counter at the airport. It weighed approximately 14kgs. The lady at the counter said "do you have other bags". No, was the answer. She was very surprised. But why do we need to carry huge amounts of luggage. Simple way of doing it for us per person is:
1. 8 sets of undergarments and shirts/t-shirts.
2. One spare pair of trousers.
3. One spare set of shoes.
4. One jumper. Note we wear a jacket when we are leaving Australia in the middle of June/July.
5. One set of toiletries.

The carry-on luggage:
1. 1 change of clothes.
2. Miscellaneous small items.
3, Those very cheap plastic ponchos (raincoats).

We do laundry once a week. Just in case we did not have a chance to do the laundry within the week, we do have an extra pair of undergarments and shirts (8 as mentioned above) plus the one in the carry-on luggage. If worse comes to worse, we wash one or two undergarments and shirts in the sink at the hotel.

It is quite easy to do this. We have been travelling overseas extensively for the past 15 years and have managed with the above very easily.

Before I get any nasty comments, please please note that this works for us and may not work for any other couple in this universe.

If they are so concerned with weight why aren't PASSENGERS weighed? Surely that would have to be taken into consideration?
Actually it is. General people weight is averaged the same as in lifts/elevators. For example, a max load for a 400kg lift is said to be 5 people but obviously as every person doesn't weigh 80kg it hopefully averages out with as many under as over weight. When flying though, the staff doing the onboarding take particular note of the number of passengers likely to be exceeding the average - and they have a very good idea of most people's weights just by looking at us 😁 All planes are weighed before take-off to check mass & balance - it's part of every flight check list.

Reactions: Ricci
All airlines domestic and international will now check all pillowcases thanks to the tik tok user and tik tok itself who shared this Hack in the first place and will create alot more in workloads for all airlines staff!

I do not understand why people carry massive amounts of luggage when travelling overseas. My wife and I take approximately 14kgs of checked in luggage between us. We also have about 2-3kgs of cabin luggage which includes 1 change of undergarments and t-shirts. Last time we went overseas to Europe for 4 weeks, we put one bag at the check-in counter at the airport. It weighed approximately 14kgs. The lady at the counter said "do you have other bags". No, was the answer. She was very surprised. But why do we need to carry huge amounts of luggage. Simple way of doing it for us per person is:
1. 8 sets of undergarments and shirts/t-shirts.
2. One spare pair of trousers.
3. One spare set of shoes.
4. One jumper. Note we wear a jacket when we are leaving Australia in the middle of June/July.
5. One set of toiletries.

The carry-on luggage:
1. 1 change of clothes.
2. Miscellaneous small items.
3, Those very cheap plastic ponchos (raincoats).

We do laundry once a week. Just in case we did not have a chance to do the laundry within the week, we do have an extra pair of undergarments and shirts (8 as mentioned above) plus the one in the carry-on luggage. If worse comes to worse, we wash one or two undergarments and shirts in the sink at the hotel.

It is quite easy to do this. We have been travelling overseas extensively for the past 15 years and have managed with the above very easily.

Before I get any nasty comments, please please note that this works for us and may not work for any other couple in this universe.
Indeed! Why some people feel it's necessary to take half their wardrobe with them - and the maximum weight allowed sort of defeats the purpose of travel for my family. We've done a lot over the years, both domestic & international and rarely ever check luggage in 🤣 How on earth do we do that? Well, it's only on the trip out TBH! ......
Because we like to immerse ourselves in the culture rather than stand out as tourists, we wear something comfortable on the plane, take a change of clothes plus basic toiletries in our carry-on AND MONEY!! In places like the UK & Europe, we like to check out a few op shops (some amazing finds!) & we also buy new underwear, clothes & shoes (and jackets & handbags!) to remind us of the holiday. In places like Africa we donate to their op shops & buy even more brand new - because that helps their economy. We find it much better to have such useful souvenirs & it means our wardrobe is always varied. I love saying "oh, Cape Town" or "Mogo" when people admire my things - especially my jackets & handbags!!

I learnt to travel (and manage) with very little when I started to walk 5he Camino and had to carry everything in my backpack! And that includes water as a very heavy and big part of it. I usually started out with 10 kgs, but finished with 8, as I emptied the 2 ltr bottles of water duringbthe day.
Now when I fly overseas the heaviest things are my mobile, ipad, headphones (noise reducing for the flight), a book (in case the tv doesnt work on a 25 hr flight), all in carry on, and lots of souvenirs in my suitcase, including heavy things like jars of Vegemite.😂😂😂

If they are so concerned with weight why aren't PASSENGERS weighed? Surely that would have to be taken into consideration?
Yes..Yes..Yes I could not agree more. Airlines could use Stats of ave weights and B M I to determine minimum acceptable limits…then charge for Personal Overweights. Multiply no of Passengers ,may be 500 plus by say 10 kg. What do you get?

Yes..Yes..Yes I could not agree more. Airlines could use Stats of ave weights and B M I to determine minimum acceptable limits…then charge for Personal Overweights. Multiply no of Passengers ,may be 500 plus by say 10 kg. What do you get?
"Huh".........