Is this the secret to saving big on groceries? Discover how this Aussie scored $126 worth of groceries for under $2

Managing a budget has become a big issue for many Australians, with the cost of living putting a lot of pressure on households across the country.

However, one Coles shopper has revealed how to save big on groceries with her unbelievable supermarket trick.

Every avid bargain hunter knows the thrill and satisfaction of snagging a good deal, but the delight of finding a deal is multiplied when it comes to groceries.

The woman, Ash, recently shared on social media how she managed to score $126.50 worth of groceries for just $1.82, bagging milk, vegetables, bagels, bacon, barramundi and chicken breast steaks for only 10c and two packets of chicken thighs for 11c each.

grocery1.jpg
The shopper said she managed to score $126.50 worth of groceries. Credit: RODNAE Productions/Pexels

Her simple trick? Shopping at the supermarket at the right time.

According to the shopper, arriving at the right time (or what she calls ‘markdown o’clock’), you’ll get plenty of deals in stores.

‘There was still plenty left on the shelf after I took what I needed,’ the customer claimed.

According to the thrifty shopper from regional Victoria, she visited the supermarket at the end of the day around 6 pm.

‘I was there at dinnertime, and all items were going out of date that day,’ Ash explained.

Many social media users who saw her post expressed their disbelief over the simple trick, and some were envious of the shopper’s huge haul.

‘I love the thrill of hitting the markdown jackpot. Good on you!' One exclaimed.’

grocery2.jpg
The shopper said she visited her local supermarket around 6 pm. Credit: Facebook

‘Love seeing everyone's great scores as so many of us struggle to feed our families with such high prices,’ another replied.

Someone else wrote: ‘Why oh why can I never find bargains like this? Go you!’

Another social media user shared the grocery haul that they managed to pick up by simply visiting the supermarket at the right time.

‘My local last night marked heaps down to 60c. Sadly no meat, but the pizzas went down to 55c. Got 4kg spuds for 60c,’ the shopper shared.

It’s long been believed that visiting your local stores at a certain time can bring discounts to your grocery bills.

According to reports, some of the best times to shop for discounts include in the morning, where customers can save up to 20 per cent off items about to expire, and just before the store closes, where shoppers can save close to 90 per cent off goods about to expire.

What's the best time to shop for discounts at a supermarket_.jpg
When is the best time to shop for groceries? Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

However, major retailers like Coles and Woolies themselves revealed that there is no set schedule for markdown prices because many factors can impact when and how an item gets marked down. This includes stock on hand, delivery schedules, and team member rostering.

This reveal comes after a Woolies worker revealed when and what time is best to shop at the grocery store to score massive deals. They claimed that markdowns for fresh meats and produce start around 2 pm in their store. For chilled products, the price slash starts in the evenings, adding that the markdowns can go up to 80 per cent off the original price.

In response to this, a spokesperson for their rival Coles told reporters that ‘markdowns do not uniformly take place at the same time across all stores’.

Despite this, however, many shoppers seem to find the best deals at Coles on a given schedule as well. In one instance, one customer shared how she was able to nab ‘pricey’ grocery items for only $10.92. According to the shopper, they visited their local Coles store towards the end of the night at around 8 pm. You can read the rest of the report here.

You also don’t have to rely on markdown prices to get the best deals at the supermarket. Finance expert Joel Gibson shared some of his tips and tricks to maximise grocery savings, including shopping at different supermarkets, bulk-buying, and knowing the layout of your local store. More details about his tips can be found in this article.
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper named Ash managed to score $126.50 worth of groceries for just $1.82 by shopping at markdown times.
  • Shopping either early in the morning, before dinner, or just before the store closes can result in significant savings on goods about to expire.
  • Customers can save up to 20 per cent off items about to expire if they visit their local stores just before it closes.
Do you have any tricks up your sleeve for scoring a great deal at the supermarket? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
"Pot luck" can cost you extra money in fuel if you driving to supermarketing just hoping to score a bargain a certain time of day as the chances of doing so are not much better than the odds for winning lotto here, but would be great if it happens

Managing a budget has become a big issue for many Australians, with the cost of living putting a lot of pressure on households across the country.

However, one Coles shopper has revealed how to save big on groceries with her unbelievable supermarket trick.

Every avid bargain hunter knows the thrill and satisfaction of snagging a good deal, but the delight of finding a deal is multiplied when it comes to groceries.

The woman, Ash, recently shared on social media how she managed to score $126.50 worth of groceries for just $1.82, bagging milk, vegetables, bagels, bacon, barramundi and chicken breast steaks for only 10c and two packets of chicken thighs for 11c each.

View attachment 18989
The shopper said she managed to score $126.50 worth of groceries. Credit: RODNAE Productions/Pexels

According to the shopper, arriving at the right time (or what she calls ‘markdown o’clock’), you’ll get plenty of deals in stores.

‘There was still plenty left on the shelf after I took what I needed,’ the customer claimed.

According to the thrifty shopper from regional Victoria, she visited the supermarket at the end of the day around 6 pm.

‘I was there at dinnertime, and all items were going out of date that day,’ Ash explained.

Many social media users who saw her post expressed their disbelief over the simple trick, and some were envious of the shopper’s huge haul.

‘I love the thrill of hitting the markdown jackpot. Good on you!' One exclaimed.’

View attachment 18990
The shopper said she visited her local supermarket around 6 pm. Credit: Facebook

‘Love seeing everyone's great scores as so many of us struggle to feed our families with such high prices,’ another replied.

Another social media user shared the grocery haul that they managed to pick up by simply visiting the supermarket at the right time.

‘My local last night marked heaps down to 60c. Sadly no meat, but the pizzas went down to 55c. Got 4kg spuds for 60c,’ the shopper shared.

It’s long been believed that visiting your local stores at a certain time can bring discounts to your grocery bills.

According to reports, some of the best times to shop for discounts include in the morning, where customers can save up to 20 per cent off items about to expire, and just before the store closes, where shoppers can save close to 90 per cent off goods about to expire.

View attachment 18991
When is the best time to shop for groceries? Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

However, major retailers like Coles and Woolies themselves revealed that there is no set schedule for markdown prices because many factors can impact when and how an item gets marked down. This includes stock on hand, delivery schedules, and team member rostering.

This reveal comes after a Woolies worker revealed when and what time is best to shop at the grocery store to score massive deals. They claimed that markdowns for fresh meats and produce start around 2 pm in their store. For chilled products, the price slash starts in the evenings, adding that the markdowns can go up to 80 per cent off the original price.

In response to this, a spokesperson for their rival Coles told reporters that ‘markdowns do not uniformly take place at the same time across all stores’.

Despite this, however, many shoppers seem to find the best deals at Coles on a given schedule as well. In one instance, one customer shared how she was able to nab ‘pricey’ grocery items for only $10.92. According to the shopper, they visited their local Coles store towards the end of the night at around 8 pm. You can read the rest of the report here.

You also don’t have to rely on markdown prices to get the best deals at the supermarket. Finance expert Joel Gibson shared some of his tips and tricks to maximise grocery savings, including shopping at different supermarkets, bulk-buying, and knowing the layout of your local store. More details about his tips can be found in this article.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper named Ash managed to score $126.50 worth of groceries for just $1.82 by shopping at markdown times.
  • Shopping either early in the morning, before dinner, or just before the store closes can result in significant savings on goods about to expire.
  • Customers can save up to 20 per cent off items about to expire if they visit their local stores just before it closes.
Do you have any tricks up your sleeve for scoring a great deal at the supermarket? Let us know in the comments below!
Our Coles gives only 10% mark down price darn
But shopping early or late arvo is good for finding a bargain

The sad part about this, wealthy people grab it all. How I know this? I saw a woman, owner of boutique in my town, who drives a porche and lives the high life who did this. A poor family who I know, stood there watching while she took the whole lot !!!!! I did say to her "Shame on you!" gr

The sad part about this, wealthy people grab it all. How I know this? I saw a woman, owner of boutique in my town, who drives a porche and lives the high life who did this. A poor family who I know, stood there watching while she took the whole lot !!!!! I did say to her "Shame on you!" gr
Everything? :( How very telling of how they got their fortune.

View attachment 18989

View attachment 18990

View attachment 18991

Key Takeaways

That's very clever, however did you know that "used by" and "best before" are two different things. Best before means just that. Use by, means this produce may contain dangerous levels of bacteria according how it was stored in the supermarket, after this date. Products being bought like this have to be carefully picked. No meat products, milk, chicken, cold meats. In other words anything that can grow bacteria and low temperature levels. Anything that is loaded with preservatives may be ok. A thought for consideration. How many Times do we see refrigerated products sitting on trolleys at room temperature. Bacteria doubles its numbers every twenty minutes. Just saying

Good on anyone who does this but personally I couldn’t be bothered going out to shop at night anymore. I used to shop in the last hour coming up to public holidays when I was younger and had more energy and there are always great bargains to be had then.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I've been at Coles & Woolies late and early and the markdowns and even 2nd & 3rd markdown o items are like $0.50-$2.00. That $2.00 off is off a meat that original price is about $40 and it's use-by date is that day. The $0.50 is on things like sausages or some chicken and use-by date again that day or next but you can clearly see that the gas inside is about to explode the the packet. It even looks off.

That's very clever, however did you know that "used by" and "best before" are two different things. Best before means just that. Use by, means this produce may contain dangerous levels of bacteria according how it was stored in the supermarket, after this date. Products being bought like this have to be carefully picked. No meat products, milk, chicken, cold meats. In other words anything that can grow bacteria and low temperature levels. Anything that is loaded with preservatives may be ok. A thought for consideration. How many Times do we see refrigerated products sitting on trolleys at room temperature. Bacteria doubles its numbers every twenty minutes. Just saying
I've been at Coles & Woolies late and early and the markdowns and even 2nd & 3rd markdown o items are like $0.50-$2.00. That $2.00 off is off a meat that original price is about $40 and it's use-by date is that day. The $0.50 is on things like sausages or some chicken and use-by date again that day or next but you can clearly see that the gas inside is about to explode the the packet. It even looks off.
these observations are spot on!

Reactions: MindyMac
I have tried going to my local Coles at all different times and never find any of these bargains, even after 8pm 🥲

It used to be easy in the days of supermarkets not being open weekends or evenings! Then they would discount perishables to clear the fridges or shelves for fresh Monday stock. Now though, open 7 days and evenings means plenty of shoppers.

I checked this out last week at Woolies and all products were use by that day and nowhere near 20c or less.