Is THIS the right way to use a bar of soap? Heated argument sparks debate online - which side are you on?

Kiwi reality TV star Aesha Scott has accidentally started a heated debate on social media.

The topic of discussion? How people wash with their bar soap in the shower!

You read that right, folks! As it turns out, not every one of us has the same bathroom habits or techniques when it comes to the way we use a bar of soap while in the shower.

Aesha, who gained celebrity status after getting cast on the reality TV show Below Deck Down Under, has taken to Instagram to ask users how they wash their bodies with a bar of soap.

"This has blown my mind so much that I had to go and post this query instead of a 24-hour story because I need answers," she wrote as a caption for her now-viral clap.

In the video, the reality tv star shares a story of how stumbled upon the fact that some people use bar soaps directly on their bodies while listening to a radio segment.

Credit: Instagram/@aesha_jean

Aesha asks: "One of the hosts said something about bar soap and doesn't like to share because she puts the bar between her butt or whatever and I suddenly realised, do some people out there move the bar around their body?"

She then reveals that she lathers the soap in her hand and washes her body with the suds.

"It hasn't even come into my mind to push the bar around my body so now I'm so intrigued," the celebrity claims.

She then asks the viewers about their own bathroom habits, saying: "What do you guys do? Do you push the bar around or do you suds it and then use your hands like me?"

The post gained traction on Instagram and attracted hundreds of comments from users who shared their preferred washing methods.

Surprisingly, most of the commenters admitted that they prefer moving the soap around their bodies while showering.

One person wrote: "I've done it but it flies everywhere, adds way too much stress to a wash haha."

"Okay but real talk, rubbing the bar all over works so much more effectively," another added.

A third chimed in: "I put the bar all over my body even between my cheeks."

"So weird. I just get soap on my hands and put the bar back," another said.

CnJDIkBJeD210AvRwZW4C2Xt3AUzra0r4dt7wJwD-qwVW9KNLBsk6w0g5R5_7umbBobdQKm0jNfWOYFEV4m90_3QH_dCAQs50YYvh1vSiHR_NxuUiDleq8AdWByqmhlj07OSAUci3IoQG1TR
07nSH246K9U9FnMUVE0ot0A7CPOH2MsOn14CRgy_koMIGFEbxyilYBO6LNRJeRbaR0-MJLJha0Oh5IaFK0CVaWv40VW_ogPw2VK4Uy8BRih2Yna28BcSFk2z12RZStH2BzKWJR10i1tEVugL

Aesha said that she was surprised by the fact that some people use the soap directly on their bodies when they shower. Credit: Instagram/@aesha_jean.

Others argued that wrapping a washcloth around the bar and lathering it up is the better washing technique.

One comment read: "Wrap the bar with a washcloth and move that around my body. I always have enough suds that way."

"I lather the bar in a way cloth, put the bar down and use the soapy cloth," another explained.

Unfortunately for those who argued about using a washcloth, the practice of washing the body with a washcloth is unusual for Kiwis, Aesha claims.

The Kiwi stewardess says: "I wake up this morning and like 90 per cent of the comments say that they use a washcloth! What?"

"In New Zealand, we use a face cloth to wash your face but I've never heard or thought of washing your body with a cloth and you all do it."

"This is just so mind-blowing, it's insane. Is this an American thing?"

Well, it seems like even simple tasks like this can appear complicated for some people.

So, what's the right way to wash with bar soap in the shower? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Also, for those of you who are looking to making your own soap, we recommend checking out this video:

Credit: YouTube/At Home with Didiayer

Sponsored
Oh, for God's sake! What next? Which leg do you put in first when donning a pair of underpants? Now, THAT will change the world forever if we can run a Gallup poll. Maybe Hitler put his left leg in first ... maybe Kyrgios puts his right leg in first. Is this subject worth wasting electricity on?

Kiwi reality TV star Aesha Scott has accidentally started a heated debate on social media.

You read that right, folks! As it turns out, not every one of us has the same bathroom habits or techniques when it comes to the way we use a bar of soap while in the shower.

Aesha, who gained celebrity status after getting cast on the reality TV show Below Deck Down Under, has taken to Instagram to ask users how they wash their bodies with a bar of soap.

"This has blown my mind so much that I had to go and post this query instead of a 24-hour story because I need answers," she wrote as a caption for her now-viral clap.

In the video, the reality tv star shares a story of how stumbled upon the fact that some people use bar soaps directly on their bodies while listening to a radio segment.

Aesha asks: "One of the hosts said something about bar soap and doesn't like to share because she puts the bar between her butt or whatever and I suddenly realised, do some people out there move the bar around their body?"

She then reveals that she lathers the soap in her hand and washes her body with the suds.

"It hasn't even come into my mind to push the bar around my body so now I'm so intrigued," the celebrity claims.

She then asks the viewers about their own bathroom habits, saying: "What do you guys do? Do you push the bar around or do you suds it and then use your hands like me?"

The post gained traction on Instagram and attracted hundreds of comments from users who shared their preferred washing methods.

Surprisingly, most of the commenters admitted that they prefer moving the soap around their bodies while showering.

One person wrote: "I've done it but it flies everywhere, adds way too much stress to a wash haha."

"Okay but real talk, rubbing the bar all over works so much more effectively," another added.

CnJDIkBJeD210AvRwZW4C2Xt3AUzra0r4dt7wJwD-qwVW9KNLBsk6w0g5R5_7umbBobdQKm0jNfWOYFEV4m90_3QH_dCAQs50YYvh1vSiHR_NxuUiDleq8AdWByqmhlj07OSAUci3IoQG1TR
07nSH246K9U9FnMUVE0ot0A7CPOH2MsOn14CRgy_koMIGFEbxyilYBO6LNRJeRbaR0-MJLJha0Oh5IaFK0CVaWv40VW_ogPw2VK4Uy8BRih2Yna28BcSFk2z12RZStH2BzKWJR10i1tEVugL

Aesha said that she was surprised by the fact that some people use the soap directly on their bodies when they shower. Credit: Instagram/@aesha_jean.

Others argued that wrapping a washcloth around the bar and lathering it up is the better washing technique.

One comment read: "Wrap the bar with a washcloth and move that around my body. I always have enough suds that way."

"I lather the bar in a way cloth, put the bar down and use the soapy cloth," another explained.

Unfortunately for those who argued about using a washcloth, the practice of washing the body with a washcloth is unusual for Kiwis, Aesha claims.

The Kiwi stewardess says: "I wake up this morning and like 90 per cent of the comments say that they use a washcloth! What?"

"In New Zealand, we use a face cloth to wash your face but I've never heard or thought of washing your body with a cloth and you all do it."

Well, it seems like even simple tasks like this can appear complicated for some people.

So, what's the right way to wash with bar soap in the shower? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Also, for those of you who are looking to making your own soap, we recommend checking out this video:

It's amazing what takes up public discussion now-a-days. Everyone does things differently to suit their needs. Do we really need to discuss everyone's personal habits? Social media continues to go mad....just like many people who use it and focus on minute matters. No wonder they don't have time to get things done!!!!

Next huge topic that we can't go through life without discussing?

How do you wipe your bum? 😅

After I got married, the cake of soap in the shower seemed to disappear very quickly.
I couldn't understand what my husband did with the soap.
I observed him standing under the shower with his arms folded across his chest, holding the soap in one hand while the shower water washed over the soap.....making it shrink very quickly down the drain.

Reactions: Ricci
Good thing to notice that you used the word "bum" instead of the Yank "butt". Well, I, myself, personally, at this present point of time until I can be persuaded by the worriers of such inconsequential matters that I'm doing it wrong, I ALWAYS wipe from left to right, then up to down, then right to left, then down to up, using two sheets of paper at a time that I've folded three times.
WARNING! Graphic material ahead! I ALWAYS blow my left nostril first, followed by the right nostril. That's the way my mummy taught me and I've never deviated from that way of doing things. I'm now fast approaching my 83rd birthday, so it could be too late to change. I know it could be regarded as wrong, but it's the brutal truth. I hope I haven't stepped on too many people's sensibilities there.

Firstly, if you’re going to use soap directly onto your body, you will need a separate soap for each member of the family, for hygiene purposes. Using washcloths is not an American thing, it has been used in Europe as well. This way you can share a bar of soap, but you have your own individual washcloth.

Firstly, if you’re going to use soap directly onto your body, you will need a separate soap for each member of the family, for hygiene purposes. Using washcloths is not an American thing, it has been used in Europe as well. This way you can share a bar of soap, but you have your own individual washcloth.
If you're really desperate, you could always use hand wash. Most of them guarantee that they'll kill 99.99% of germs. The remaining .01% of the little buggers are just too tough for domestic use and will kill you quick as looking at you. You need to find one that's strictly for industrial purposes.

Last edited:
  • Haha