Is this the grossest fridge-cleaning ‘hack’ ever? People can't decide

Ah, the fridge. It's a necessary appliance in just about every household, but one that we all dread having to clean. It's a time-consuming and messy task made even worse when food gets spilled or stuck in all the nooks and crannies, and then it gets more difficult to remove without some serious elbow grease.

So, when we saw this fridge-cleaning hack that's been making the rounds on social media, we were intrigued to try it. But other people weren’t as convinced it was a good idea.

One woman who runs a ‘judgement-free’ cleaning hacks social media page, posted her tip which she claimed made her life ‘easier’.

The woman removed the food stuck on the fridge’s shelves with a mini scraper, before wiping it down. ‘Put cling wrap on the shelves for next time, then all you have to do is toss,’ she said. Well, that’s one way to prevent spilled food, however, for a more environmentally friendly option, another member suggested using tea towels on top of your fridge shelves to avoid having to constantly clean any spills! You can read all about that tip here.

fridge.jpg
Some people aren’t impressed with the woman’s hack though. Credit: Max Vakhtbovych in Pexels

It seemed like a genius idea to some, and many praised the woman for her ‘hack’.

‘I have all boys and this would definitely help. They spill things and act as if they didn't see it,’ said one mum.

Another added: ‘Never thought of this before. Every now and then I get something on that shelf and go through this scrubbing stuff. Nice hack.’

Someone mentioned they’d be cleaning out their fridge soon, so they’ll try out the woman’s ‘anti-spill’ fridge-cleaning hack. ‘This will be so easy and quick to clean,’ they shared.

However, not everyone is convinced – some were even disgusted by it. Many took to the comments section as they wondered who let their fridge get that dirty to begin with.

‘How about just wet wiping it every time you put groceries in? Takes 20 seconds,’ said one.

A second person wrote: ‘How can you let your fridge get to be this disgusting? Why not clean your spills and mess immediately? Gross. Take everything out of that refrigerator and clean it properly, don't you think? Must be overdue.’

fridge2.jpg
Will you try this ‘hack’? Credit: Polina Tankilevitch in Pexels

Someone else replied: ‘Clean your fridge when you spill something instead of letting it crust, grow mould, spread bacteria, etc.’

Following the harsh criticisms, the originator of the ‘hack’ reminded everyone that her page is all about judgement-free cleaning.

‘You’re not a better person because you clean better, or because your method is different. You are not better because your house is better. Kindness is free, and beyond that it is rewarding,’ the woman fired back.

‘I'm pretty sure everyone at some point let their fridge get dirty, it happens by accident - food spills, your life gets busy and you just don't have time. It happens to the best of us,’ one person replied in defence of the woman.
Key Takeaways

• A woman's hack for cleaning the fridge by covering the shelves with cling wrap has sparked a fierce debate online.
  • Some people claimed it was gross how people could let their fridge get that dirty before cleaning.
  • Others praised the hack and thanked the woman because of her time-saving tip.
  • Many people have jumped to the defence of the woman, saying her videos are helpful and not everyone has time to keep things clean because ‘life just happens’.
What about you, members? Do you think this is ingenious or not worth trying? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
"food spills, your life gets busy and you just don't have time."

Hang on what's this BS about so busy you don't have time"? even thought its nearly 2023 there are still 24 hrs in a day and most ppl work a max of 12 hrs a day?

If op takes 1 hr off from tik tok(ing) or social media platform of hints for likes and monetization or gets up an hr earlier / goes to bed an hr later - watches less TV soaps etc then there is plenty of time to clean more than fridge

Judgement free cleaning , Pleeeese

"food spills, your life gets busy and you just don't have time."

Hang on what's this BS about so busy you don't have time"? even thought its nearly 2023 there are still 24 hrs in a day and most ppl work a max of 12 hrs a day?

If op takes 1 hr off from tik tok(ing) or social media platform of hints for likes and monetization or gets up an hr earlier / goes to bed an hr later - watches less TV soaps etc then there is plenty of time to clean more than fridge

Judgement free cleaning , Pleeeese
Not everyone lives alone so whoever cleans the fridge would need to know every spill that the rest of the household makes. Also, some people may not be able to bend to clean a fridge and have to wait for a designated cleaner who maybe doesn't come every day. So yes, judgement free please 😁

Not everyone lives alone so whoever cleans the fridge would need to know every spill that the rest of the household makes. Also, some people may not be able to bend to clean a fridge and have to wait for a designated cleaner who maybe doesn't come every day. So yes, judgement free please 😁
if people who don't live alone cannot convince anyone over 5 to not be slob then they have problems .

I know many disabled ppl who have back pain injuries etc who don't get home help or can afford cleaners, so they despite the pain bend and clean, vacuum sweep etc.

I do live alone. I have a slipped disc, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, am T2 insulin dependent diabetic, just had my cancerous large colon removed in June and still going through Chemo, I never had home help at all after the op had to bend lift washing basket, shopping hang clothes on the line myself. pain and all still do it.

If I can do it and cop the pain then we all can just needs willpower

Reactions: Jennie
I ve had 13 kids at home and a hubby in one time and would never cover my shelves with anything.
I think this would create bacteria in your fridge more so than a spill on your glass shelf

I empty and clean my fridge weekly and do this either the day before my groceries arrive or morning of , it's not hard and if it's done weekly then it's actually very quick.

I've been using the cleaning method of
1 cup of Luke warm water
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
All put into a spray bottle, not only does it clean brilliantly and with ease it leaves your fridge smelling nice for days

Ah, the fridge. It's a necessary appliance in just about every household, but one that we all dread having to clean. It's a time-consuming and messy task made even worse when food gets spilled or stuck in all the nooks and crannies, and then it gets more difficult to remove without some serious elbow grease.

So, when we saw this fridge-cleaning hack that's been making the rounds on social media, we were intrigued to try it. But other people weren’t as convinced it was a good idea.

One woman who runs a ‘judgement-free’ cleaning hacks social media page, posted her tip which she claimed made her life ‘easier’.

The woman removed the food stuck on the fridge’s shelves with a mini scraper, before wiping it down. ‘Put cling wrap on the shelves for next time, then all you have to do is toss,’ she said. Well, that’s one way to prevent spilled food, however, for a more environmentally friendly option, another member suggested using tea towels on top of your fridge shelves to avoid having to constantly clean any spills! You can read all about that tip here.

View attachment 9618
Some people aren’t impressed with the woman’s hack though. Credit: Max Vakhtbovych in Pexels

It seemed like a genius idea to some, and many praised the woman for her ‘hack’.

‘I have all boys and this would definitely help. They spill things and act as if they didn't see it,’ said one mum.

Another added: ‘Never thought of this before. Every now and then I get something on that shelf and go through this scrubbing stuff. Nice hack.’

Someone mentioned they’d be cleaning out their fridge soon, so they’ll try out the woman’s ‘anti-spill’ fridge-cleaning hack. ‘This will be so easy and quick to clean,’ they shared.

However, not everyone is convinced – some were even disgusted by it. Many took to the comments section as they wondered who let their fridge get that dirty to begin with.

‘How about just wet wiping it every time you put groceries in? Takes 20 seconds,’ said one.

A second person wrote: ‘How can you let your fridge get to be this disgusting? Why not clean your spills and mess immediately? Gross. Take everything out of that refrigerator and clean it properly, don't you think? Must be overdue.’

View attachment 9619
Will you try this ‘hack’? Credit: Polina Tankilevitch in Pexels

Someone else replied: ‘Clean your fridge when you spill something instead of letting it crust, grow mould, spread bacteria, etc.’

Following the harsh criticisms, the originator of the ‘hack’ reminded everyone that her page is all about judgement-free cleaning.

‘You’re not a better person because you clean better, or because your method is different. You are not better because your house is better. Kindness is free, and beyond that it is rewarding,’ the woman fired back.

‘I'm pretty sure everyone at some point let their fridge get dirty, it happens by accident - food spills, your life gets busy and you just don't have time. It happens to the best of us,’ one person replied in defence of the woman.
Key Takeaways

• A woman's hack for cleaning the fridge by covering the shelves with cling wrap has sparked a fierce debate online.
  • Some people claimed it was gross how people could let their fridge get that dirty before cleaning.
  • Others praised the hack and thanked the woman because of her time-saving tip.
  • Many people have jumped to the defence of the woman, saying her videos are helpful and not everyone has time to keep things clean because ‘life just happens’.
What about you, members? Do you think this is ingenious or not worth trying? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!
I ve had 13 kids at home and a hubby in one time and would never cover my shelves with anything.
I think this would create bacteria in your fridge more so than a spill on your glass shelf

I empty and clean my fridge weekly and do this either the day before my groceries arrive or morning of , it's not hard and if it's done weekly then it's actually very quick.

1 cup of Luke warm water
1/2 cup white vinegar
All put into a spray bottle, not only does it clean brilliantly and with ease it leaves your fridge smelling nice for days

1 cup of Luke warm water
1/2 cup white vinegar

1 cup of Luke warm water
1/2 cup white vinegar
If you feel the need for shelf liners a tea towel or cli wrap would have to be the worst option out there you can buy cheap silicon type rolls of liners for any type of shelving. Use in fridge would be fine
My brain goes “ick” when I think of cling wrap ( bad for environment anyway) and what a nightmare using a tea towel how revolting, nope not good alternative
I have used the kitchen cloths from the big rolls in my veggie bin, but these other bacteria ridden choices leave me gobsmacked. Euuuuuuuuuw

If you feel the need for shelf liners a tea towel or cli wrap would have to be the worst option out there you can buy cheap silicon type rolls of liners for any type of shelving. Use in fridge would be fine
My brain goes “ick” when I think of cling wrap ( bad for environment anyway) and what a nightmare using a tea towel how revolting, nope not good alternative
I have used the kitchen cloths from the big rolls in my veggie bin, but these other bacteria ridden choices leave me gobsmacked. Euuuuuuuuuw
I've actually never known anyone who lined their fridge

Reactions: Jennie and Winwow
To each his own. NEVER criticize how a housewife covers her chores. Just use your commonsense & be ever aware of bacteria as #1. We,ve all been "through the mill" & glass is easy to wash down. Where I feel for others are people who are fastidious all there lives until they necessitate a back operation or whatever & are so in pain to lean over or another similar problem. I had a session years ago when a friend of mine upon entering my front door said, "Es, this isn't YOUR garden." I simply answered, "Well, you know where I keep all the gardening tools. Go get yourself useful if you don't like it." I could not be bothered telling her what had been wrong with me for weeks. See? People dive in feet first without thinking, especially when you live alone. One should keep away from criticism until you KNOW the facts. Right? Then you dive in to offer help. Pain when you live alone is so daunting. The frig is the least of your problems when you can't ease the pain by holding your back. WHEN you can't hold the pain wherever it is, it plays havoc with your brain. THE LAST thing you want people to criticize is what you used to do when you were well. It is your prerogative to use tea towels or glad wrap. Do what you like in your own home. We all have freedom of choice. What you do in your own time in your own home has nothing to do with anyone else. Just get a life & live the best you can.

Reactions: DrivingGirl