Is this the future of shopping? Customers are amazed by UNIQLO’s new scanning technology

The rise in technological advancements also elevates how everyone lives. We want things to be as convenient and stress-free as possible, especially when it comes to shopping.

And Japanese brand UNIQLO is no stranger to incorporating the latest technology in their stores for shoppers’ convenience – as one customer recently found out.

UNIQLO is slowly but surely making the checkout process easier and more convenient for its shoppers by incorporating ‘futuristic’ shopping technology.

A woman named Yoko recently visited one of their stores during her trip to Japan and was impressed with the scanners they used.

1uniqlo.jpg
Yoko was impressed by UNIQLO’s scanning technology. Credit: UNIQLO

The automated scanners can immediately check the items and display the total within seconds – all without removing a single product from the basket.

UNIQLO uses radio frequency identification (RFID) tags which allows the machine to identify each product and calculate the amount automatically.

Each clothing item from the store has an RFID tag (which is small and around 1mm thin) attached to them.

Although the technology isn’t new – aside from Japan, it’s also used in Australia, the United States, and several parts of Europe – it’s still amazing to witness in real life.

uniqlo.jpg
The brand is also slowly incorporating this scanning technology worldwide. Credit: Ivan Samkov in Pexels

In a video she shared on her TikTok account, Yoko demonstrated how she scanned her items with ease.

With a hamper full of clothes, she placed her basket on the machine to start the process on the touch-screen.

‘All items were scanned within two clicks,’ she said in the video.

Yoko said she was sceptical at first and that she ‘could not believe it’, but was pleasantly surprised when she found no mistake.

‘I had to go through all the items to make sure they were correctly scanned,’ she continued.

‘No lines, no talking, no waiting whatsoever, and it was so seamless!’

Social media users were similarly amazed by the automated scanner.

‘Amazing!’ One woman said.

Another added: ‘Next level retail!’

You can watch Yoko’s video below:

UNIQLO is the first Japanese retailer to use RFID tags worldwide. Some stores even have RFID ‘Smart Stores’, where people can try on a piece of clothing without needing to go inside a fitting room.

With the help of a ‘magic mirror’ which is a screen that uses the same technology, shoppers can choose clothes and try them on! It can even recommend mix-and-match items to make shopping easier. You can watch how it happens below:

Key Takeaways

• A shopper was shocked after experiencing the 'futuristic' technology UNIQLO stores use to scan items.
  • UNIQLO uses radio frequency identification (RFID) tags, which easily allow the scanning machine to identify each item and calculate the total amount.
  • Yoko admitted she was sceptical at first and said she had to go through each of her items again to make sure there was no mistake.
  • UNIQLO uses this scanning technology in Japan, Australia, the US, and some parts of Europe.
There you have it, members! What do you think about this story? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
The rise in technological advancements also elevates how everyone lives. We want things to be as convenient and stress-free as possible, especially when it comes to shopping.

And Japanese brand UNIQLO is no stranger to incorporating the latest technology in their stores for shoppers’ convenience – as one customer recently found out.

UNIQLO is slowly but surely making the checkout process easier and more convenient for its shoppers by incorporating ‘futuristic’ shopping technology.

A woman named Yoko recently visited one of their stores during her trip to Japan and was impressed with the scanners they used.

View attachment 9647

The automated scanners can immediately check the items and display the total within seconds – all without removing a single product from the basket.

UNIQLO uses radio frequency identification (RFID) tags which allows the machine to identify each product and calculate the amount automatically.

Each clothing item from the store has an RFID tag (which is small and around 1mm thin) attached to them.

Although the technology isn’t new – aside from Japan, it’s also used in Australia, the United States, and several parts of Europe – it’s still amazing to witness in real life.

View attachment 9648
The brand is also slowly incorporating this scanning technology worldwide. Credit: Ivan Samkov in Pexels

In a video she shared on her TikTok account, Yoko demonstrated how she scanned her items with ease.

With a hamper full of clothes, she placed her basket on the machine to start the process on the touch-screen.

Yoko said she was sceptical at first and that she ‘could not believe it’, but was pleasantly surprised when she found no mistake.

‘I had to go through all the items to make sure they were correctly scanned,’ she continued.

UNIQLO is the first Japanese retailer to use RFID tags worldwide. Some stores even have RFID ‘Smart Stores’, where people can try on a piece of clothing without needing to go inside a fitting room.

With the help of a ‘magic mirror’ which is a screen that uses the same technology, shoppers can choose clothes and try them on! It can even recommend mix-and-match items to make shopping easier. You can watch how it happens below:

Key Takeaways

• A shopper was shocked after experiencing the 'futuristic' technology UNIQLO stores use to scan items.
  • UNIQLO uses radio frequency identification (RFID) tags, which easily allow the scanning machine to identify each item and calculate the total amount.
  • Yoko admitted she was sceptical at first and said she had to go through each of her items again to make sure there was no mistake.
  • UNIQLO uses this scanning technology in Japan, Australia, the US, and some parts of Europe.
There you have it, members! What do you think about this story? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

More people out of work, more profits. People put out of work not able to buy goods.😡

View attachment 9647

View attachment 9648

Key Takeaways

Just another way for retailers to make more money by getting rid of staff. Not good for jobs and there will be no such thing as " customer service" any more.

View attachment 9647

View attachment 9648

Key Takeaways

and there goes another humans job down the gurgler

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
I was in Myer the other day, and saw in the clothing area a warning to shoplifters.
It said something like we have CCTV and RDIF tags, which can track the item wherever it is until removed or scanned, I guess.
First time I'd heard of these.

• Sad
Reactions: Liz and Ricci

View attachment 9647

View attachment 9648

Key Takeaways

I deliberately do not scan my groceries when I shop as I know it is putting people out of jobs. The more robots do the work the less workers and human contact and how are the people who are no longer employed going to make a living, they need to shop as well, it just doesn't make sense. We need the human exchange.

I wonder how long it will be before the shoplifters figure out how to get round the system? What were shop assistants will now become store security to keep everyone on the straight and narrow. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Liz and JayKay
I deliberately do not scan my groceries when I shop as I know it is putting people out of jobs. The more robots do the work the less workers and human contact and how are the people who are no longer employed going to make a living, they need to shop as well, it just doesn't make sense. We need the human exchange.
I also won't use the self-serve checkouts as I don't work for the store. the only advantage I see in the whole scheme is you don't have to interact with others . It is a false premise that we need interaction with others we don't know well. I am someone who is happy not to interact with anyone each & every day. I feel extremely sorry for anyone not content in their own company. I just revelled in the total lockdown during Covid. I still prefer my own company to that of people I don't know, but saying that I also get on well with most new people I meet.

Reactions: Ricci
I like my own company but do like talking to the checkout operators as they sometimes have a lot of grumpy customers and I try and give them a little bit of "Cheer" especially at this time of year. Hate the automated machines, had to use it once and couldn't work it (okay I maybe stupid) but a human assistant came to my aid. I hope we never get to the stage where we totally get rid of human interaction and go totally automated. I don't think I want to be here then.

Reactions: Ricci