Is this the end of op-shopping? Shopper claims the prices of second-hand clothes are rising faster than the cost of living

There's no denying that shopping second-hand can save you a lot of money. In fact, it's one of the thriftiest things you can do! Whether you're shopping for clothes, furniture, or anything else, opting for second-hand items can help you keep more of your hard-earned cash in your pocket, especially now that the cost of living is on the rise.

That's why when one savvy shopper called out her local charity shop for its 'outrageous' high prices for its second-hand clothes, the internet was left gobsmacked.

In a recent TikTok video, Melbourne thrifter Jaclyn criticised op shops for charging 'ridiculous' amounts for 'supposedly-cheap' pre-owned clothing, claiming that since they are now charging heaps of dollars for the garments, savvy shoppers will most probably flock to fast fashion outlets like Kmart instead.

Jaclyn also noted that charity shops are now 'losing their enthusiasm' for bringing quality pieces for a lower cost to their customers.

Credit: TikTok/@jaclyn_snaps

She asks in the clip: 'Is anyone else getting completely over Australian thrift store prices these days and how they just charge an arm and a leg for absolutely everything?'

'I used to love the thrill of the hunt and finding a really special piece for a bargain price but it seems it's getting kind of impossible to do that now.'

The video then shows Jaclyn looking through the racks at her neighbourhood Savers, which featured affordable fast fashion labels like Shein and Zara but with prices as high as $60.

oOj15TjXjAknYBnV2NLgcPiX4j6CQtRofhBO9831M6z2itpTm14Fw1DXimGVc7j-sD8uaEdlZqhwC3D2-_ZGbby6pnzWbBXfrJfnH-tAqt_SZ4SELSoHQJlBVYa9Z3JZ3qrrB2sh96JT7kH12nOiZg
pXnANC8GCakbb73JEBMFusso1ha79aeH4WDqQ0pCBcnbJ9BtG8QFemYE4MByGcbYS9RxpjEHA6_irI8MEBRt3sZ3FM29aYU1rUrJHy_tX1F2dEpBW5vC46er3TxHC6EVa7_-dvr3C48IgXNrhl1Sfw

A thrifty shopper slammed her local charity shop for selling second-hand clothes from budget-friendly brands such as Shein and Zara for ‘outrageous’ prices. Credit: TikTok/@jaclyn_snaps.

'I think thrift stores need to take a step back and remember what they are. They aren't vintage stores, these pieces have all been donated to them,' she adds.

'I think if I'm going to be spending this kind of money, I might as well go to a proper vintage store where someone's taken the time to pick and curate a really special collection of clothing.'

The video has captured the attention of more than 40,900 social media users, with many expressing their displeasure with the price increases at their respective local second-hand shops.

One user said: 'This is a big reason why people turn to fast fashion instead of thrift stores because it's cheaper to go and buy 1/2.'

'Omg yes! I'm so over it. I'm not paying $90 for something second-hand and donated,' another shared.

A third chimed in: 'I feel the same way...Especially with food and petrol so expensive people are struggling and need help with clothing and furniture.'

One user from the US shared how Americans are experiencing the same issue with the charity shops there.

The American user's comment read: 'The US is doing this too! Goodwill is charging $9.99 for a $5 Walmart shirt.'

When you purchase second-hand clothing, you are meant to not only save money, but you are also helping to reduce the amount of clothing that ends up in landfills. It is estimated that the average person throws away about 23 kilograms of clothing per year. By purchasing second-hand clothing, you can help to reduce this waste.

That is why we understand the frustration of many savvy shoppers who were hoping to save a few dollars by opting for charity shops but instead faced high prices.

Do you shop at second-hand stores? Did your local thrift store increase prices too? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I ran an Op Shop and it is the pressure from those at the top” to make a budget that pushes the prices up. No they are not “op shops” anymore. That’s why I resigned
I volunteered at a shop pre covid and got the same impression as you mention about budget. We were throwing to the rag bag anything, no matter the condition, from Target Kmart Suzanne grae big w rockmans etc, coz they wanted to be seen as a quality store. If nothing else, these items should have been donated to another store who would sell them. I had to suggest to friends to donate those brands to other shops. Disappointing, I loved volunteering but didn’t feel right this was going on

Reactions: Ricci
I used to manage an op shop as a volunteer. One of the things I did every so often was to send a staff member round the local shops to get an idea of what was for sale at what prices. Anything that came into the store from Kmart or Big W we sold for no more than $2 and from Target $5. The one question I had my staff ask themselves was what would they be prepared to pay for the item second hand and price things accordingly. We needed throughput, sales were important, it's no good if the stuff stays on the racks, rather sell 3 items totaling $10 than 1.:)

Reactions: Ma-to-3
Not at notch deeragun all men's and ladies clothing $2.00 kids $1.00 and much more.

On Saturday at Vinnnies a pair of Wittner shoes....$75 ! "Tell him he's dreaming!"
I have noticed some quite weird pricing at the opshops I visit fairly regularly....like a set of 4 double ended knitting eedles, divided up and for sale at $2 for each pair.....Ihave pointed out they are used to socks and necklinesand useless in 2s. But the sales assistants have no say in prices! The packaging and pricing appear unrelated to the usage of items, 6 unrelated balls of yarn, all different in every respect, bagged up and priced quite highly.....by someone who has no experience of trying to thriftily enlarge or mend a child'sor adult's garment.....the unneeded balls are then out of reach of those who could use them. And really worn and poorly conditioned tshirts and hoodies all priced the same as those with wear left in them.....what are they trying to do? They are clearly working for financial gain.....but is it really helping those who are trying to make ends meet rather than having to beg for charitable assistance? I try to convince myself that the excess I pay is going to food or accommodation for those who are cold and hungry....but I see many of those still unassisted! The volunteers believe they are helping, the organisations need to have a jolly good look at what is really happening.

Reactions: Mrs P
Come to Urunga [NSW] Uniting Church Opp shop, very inexpensive compared to other areas.
As for those sneakers, DISGUSTING. , no way should they have been put on the shelf.

I used to opp shop I no longer do so...How dare they rip us off with ridiculous prices for stuff they pay nothing for...I would far sooner shop at KMart now...Im not paying same prices for used clothing ..RIPPED OFF...

There's no denying that shopping second-hand can save you a lot of money. In fact, it's one of the thriftiest things you can do! Whether you're shopping for clothes, furniture, or anything else, opting for second-hand items can help you keep more of your hard-earned cash in your pocket, especially now that the cost of living is on the rise.

That's why when one savvy shopper called out her local charity shop for its 'outrageous' high prices for its second-hand clothes, the internet was left gobsmacked.

In a recent TikTok video, Melbourne thrifter Jaclyn criticised op shops for charging 'ridiculous' amounts for 'supposedly-cheap' pre-owned clothing, claiming that since they are now charging heaps of dollars for the garments, savvy shoppers will most probably flock to fast fashion outlets like Kmart instead.

Jaclyn also noted that charity shops are now 'losing their enthusiasm' for bringing quality pieces for a lower cost to their customers.

She asks in the clip: 'Is anyone else getting completely over Australian thrift store prices these days and how they just charge an arm and a leg for absolutely everything?'

'I used to love the thrill of the hunt and finding a really special piece for a bargain price but it seems it's getting kind of impossible to do that now.'

The video then shows Jaclyn looking through the racks at her neighbourhood Savers, which featured affordable fast fashion labels like Shein and Zara but with prices as high as $60.

oOj15TjXjAknYBnV2NLgcPiX4j6CQtRofhBO9831M6z2itpTm14Fw1DXimGVc7j-sD8uaEdlZqhwC3D2-_ZGbby6pnzWbBXfrJfnH-tAqt_SZ4SELSoHQJlBVYa9Z3JZ3qrrB2sh96JT7kH12nOiZg
pXnANC8GCakbb73JEBMFusso1ha79aeH4WDqQ0pCBcnbJ9BtG8QFemYE4MByGcbYS9RxpjEHA6_irI8MEBRt3sZ3FM29aYU1rUrJHy_tX1F2dEpBW5vC46er3TxHC6EVa7_-dvr3C48IgXNrhl1Sfw

A thrifty shopper slammed her local charity shop for selling second-hand clothes from budget-friendly brands such as Shein and Zara for ‘outrageous’ prices. Credit: TikTok/@jaclyn_snaps.

'I think thrift stores need to take a step back and remember what they are. They aren't vintage stores, these pieces have all been donated to them,' she adds.

'I think if I'm going to be spending this kind of money, I might as well go to a proper vintage store where someone's taken the time to pick and curate a really special collection of clothing.'

The video has captured the attention of more than 40,900 social media users, with many expressing their displeasure with the price increases at their respective local second-hand shops.

One user said: 'This is a big reason why people turn to fast fashion instead of thrift stores because it's cheaper to go and buy 1/2.'

'Omg yes! I'm so over it. I'm not paying $90 for something second-hand and donated,' another shared.

A third chimed in: 'I feel the same way...Especially with food and petrol so expensive people are struggling and need help with clothing and furniture.'

One user from the US shared how Americans are experiencing the same issue with the charity shops there.

The American user's comment read: 'The US is doing this too! Goodwill is charging $9.99 for a $5 Walmart shirt.'

When you purchase second-hand clothing, you are meant to not only save money, but you are also helping to reduce the amount of clothing that ends up in landfills. It is estimated that the average person throws away about 23 kilograms of clothing per year. By purchasing second-hand clothing, you can help to reduce this waste.

That is why we understand the frustration of many savvy shoppers who were hoping to save a few dollars by opting for charity shops but instead faced high prices.

Do you shop at second-hand stores? Did your local thrift store increase prices too? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Yesssss, many second hand are increased the prices.!!! Why???? They received most of the clothes and others things for free, and most of them are running by volunteers , so the cost of the business is minimum.-

I have been a regular opshopper all my life & cannot believe the prices some stores are asking these days for their goods. I appreciate that many op shops now operate as franchises & are essentially run as businesses having to pay their own overheads & running costs rather than as charity outlets. The 'spirit' of the opshop has largely been lost--to provide reasonable quality second-hand goods to largely vulnerable people who do not have the disposable income to afford them the opportunity to buy new products. I know that some organisations do provide those in most need or in crisis situations clothing & household items but I often baulk at the price tags on a lot of the used goods on sale in the stores. In many instances, it is, in fact, cheaper to go to stores like KMart or BigW where you can buy a new product more cheaply than what is being offered in opshops for a similar--but used--item. As mentioned in the article, opshops aren't run as 'retro' or vintage stores but are largely established to cater for a need for our vulnerable. Charity organisations need to rethink the intentions & motivations at the heart of what they do & provide. Maybe combine forces & establish retro/vintage boutiques to cater to the more affluent shopper but please take a good look at & reconsider the prices many are charging for their used items.
Charity op shop are run as businesses now. The church charges high rent forthe shop

Yesssss, many second hand are increased the prices.!!! Why???? They received most of the clothes and others things for free, and most of them are running by volunteers , so the cost of the business is minimum.-
I think most last he op shop have a paid manager but yes should be cheaper

I have noticed some quite weird pricing at the opshops I visit fairly regularly....like a set of 4 double ended knitting eedles, divided up and for sale at $2 for each pair.....Ihave pointed out they are used to socks and necklinesand useless in 2s. But the sales assistants have no say in prices! The packaging and pricing appear unrelated to the usage of items, 6 unrelated balls of yarn, all different in every respect, bagged up and priced quite highly.....by someone who has no experience of trying to thriftily enlarge or mend a child'sor adult's garment.....the unneeded balls are then out of reach of those who could use them. And really worn and poorly conditioned tshirts and hoodies all priced the same as those with wear left in them.....what are they trying to do? They are clearly working for financial gain.....but is it really helping those who are trying to make ends meet rather than having to beg for charitable assistance? I try to convince myself that the excess I pay is going to food or accommodation for those who are cold and hungry....but I see many of those still unassisted! The volunteers believe they are helping, the organisations need to have a jolly good look at what is really happening.
The pricing of items can definitely come down to who is pricing items on any given day. An older volunteer with knitting experience would have much more idea of wools worth than a young person who has never seen these things before - and you can’t ask the manager how to price everything. Same goes with brand clothing - you can grab a great bargain in the volunteer pricing has no idea of what is an expensive brand and what isn’t.

Same here ,priced a shirt top from Miller's, op shop price is $15 ,millers price $10 ,found similar overpriced clothes all through the store ,so called exclusive brands 40dollars plus, some of these items were well worn, time they got realistic, supposed to be a charity shop ..
People generally need to tell the op shop about the pricing if incorrect

OMG, where do I start!! I contacted the Salvos ten years ago to complain about their prices and their PRICING, two different things. When they price anything ending in .99c they are trying to squeeze out an extra dollar from their customers The whole concept of .99c pricing was thought up by some marketing whiz way, way back to delude customers into thinking they *weren't* spending that extra dollar. And it worked, incredibly well, and the rest is history. So doing that to a clientele who are striving to make ends meet is lousy of the Salvos and other charities because it adds insult to injury to those who need every dollar (or 99c) that they can get. So stop with this $X.99 pricing already!

The profit these charities make from their op shop business model is massive with a donated product, a high percentage of volunteer staff and a "grateful" and/or "forgiving" customer base. And I don't think these charities appreciate that because they're so busy whinging about what and where the donations are left for them. (Please don't guilt trip me on how much they outlay for hard rubbish removal. Yes, there are some slobs, but mostly, they're quite precious about what they'll accept and they must have so much to choose from, so for pete's sake, they're a successful business getting free stuff to make a 100% profit from; they have to have SOME expenses. We do so much else for them!)

There are several 'versions' of the Salvos shop, too. There are budget ones where I could have bought a secondhand t-shirt in a plus-size for $8.99 when the same t-shirt is for sale at Kmart for $5 and 'higher end' ones where they charge a bomb for better quality clothes. The sort of shop that sells a secondhand Virtu cardigan for $39.99 when they're still on sale for $25 on the rack outside the TS store!

Needless to say, I've been disappointed with the Salvos in particular for quite some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ma-to-3
I totally agree. I can often get clothes cheaper at KMart or Best and less so why would I pay premium prices for pre-loved clothes. These clothes are given to charities so they don't have any outlay for the clothes. Most of their staff are volunteers. So they should be selling things at lower prices than what is in the stores. Salvos and Lifeline seem to be the biggest offenders. Love Vinnies.

Certainly agree, Vinnie's are the worst $70 for a small Venetian glass vase, they weren't even anything like that when they were all the rage back in the 60's.
I bought a "Prada" bag, originally they wanted $120 and said it was real, it still had cellophane around the handles and was brand new. I had to point out to the manager that it was an Asian rip off and she would have to be completely stupid if she thought that somebody would donate an original bag when they could easily sell it privately for hundreds of dollars. Eventually paid $20

Reactions: switdame

I agree it's cheaper to buy at Kmart....these op shops have lost track.and have become money grabbing....yes these items were donated...I have donated heaps to these stores.....not happy

Totally agree ,in Melbourne recently, needed another pullover, went to Sallies, it was more expensive than Kmart
I work at a thrift shop. Toowoomba QLD Australia and our prices are extremely reasonable. I got a brand new pair of court shoes, original store price $139.99 down $59.99, thrift shop price &5 A friend aso got a new pair of Homyped shoes for $6.

I was an assistant manager in a Red Cross Op Shop for many years. Firstly I want to say that SAVERS is not a charity shop. Many people do not understand this. People donate goods to The Diabetes Association, who then pick up the goods and sell them to Savers. The Diabetes then get a payment for the amount of goods that Savers buy. ( So in other words, Savers get the larger percentage. Savers was an American or Canadian company so most of their profits go overseas. Well they used to, so I presume they still do.)
With the Red Cross Op Shop, we were not allowed to put out clothes with a button missing and they were always ironed if needed. Now we see many clothes in Op Shops that really should only be used as rags.
In saying that, yes the prices have gone up in all Op Shops because it is now trendy to go Op Shopping.
While ‎travelling around the state, I found there are many small Charity Shops that still have great prices.
Unfortunately, these shops will probably increase their prices as well.

I sometimes shop at Op shops when travelling around the country. I find that the prices have not gone through the roof in the regional areas, but maybe the bigger cities they may have especially name branded clothes.

I volunteer in 2 op shops in my local area and one of them has just upped the prices on everything in their store as the manager stated that with the rising electricty costs it's the only way he can meet the bill but then he is at a complete loss as to why his regulars have stopped shopping there. They have Father's Day cards for sale at $2.00 each when you can buy them brand new from other shops in the area for $1.00. Go figure. Needless to say the other op shop has not raised their prices and still sells their children clothes for a $1.00 a piece and can't get enough donations to refill the racks as it sells so fast.