Is this the end of op-shopping? Shopper claims the prices of second-hand clothes are rising faster than the cost of living

There's no denying that shopping second-hand can save you a lot of money. In fact, it's one of the thriftiest things you can do! Whether you're shopping for clothes, furniture, or anything else, opting for second-hand items can help you keep more of your hard-earned cash in your pocket, especially now that the cost of living is on the rise.

That's why when one savvy shopper called out her local charity shop for its 'outrageous' high prices for its second-hand clothes, the internet was left gobsmacked.

In a recent TikTok video, Melbourne thrifter Jaclyn criticised op shops for charging 'ridiculous' amounts for 'supposedly-cheap' pre-owned clothing, claiming that since they are now charging heaps of dollars for the garments, savvy shoppers will most probably flock to fast fashion outlets like Kmart instead.

Jaclyn also noted that charity shops are now 'losing their enthusiasm' for bringing quality pieces for a lower cost to their customers.

Credit: TikTok/@jaclyn_snaps

She asks in the clip: 'Is anyone else getting completely over Australian thrift store prices these days and how they just charge an arm and a leg for absolutely everything?'

'I used to love the thrill of the hunt and finding a really special piece for a bargain price but it seems it's getting kind of impossible to do that now.'

The video then shows Jaclyn looking through the racks at her neighbourhood Savers, which featured affordable fast fashion labels like Shein and Zara but with prices as high as $60.

oOj15TjXjAknYBnV2NLgcPiX4j6CQtRofhBO9831M6z2itpTm14Fw1DXimGVc7j-sD8uaEdlZqhwC3D2-_ZGbby6pnzWbBXfrJfnH-tAqt_SZ4SELSoHQJlBVYa9Z3JZ3qrrB2sh96JT7kH12nOiZg
pXnANC8GCakbb73JEBMFusso1ha79aeH4WDqQ0pCBcnbJ9BtG8QFemYE4MByGcbYS9RxpjEHA6_irI8MEBRt3sZ3FM29aYU1rUrJHy_tX1F2dEpBW5vC46er3TxHC6EVa7_-dvr3C48IgXNrhl1Sfw

A thrifty shopper slammed her local charity shop for selling second-hand clothes from budget-friendly brands such as Shein and Zara for ‘outrageous’ prices. Credit: TikTok/@jaclyn_snaps.

'I think thrift stores need to take a step back and remember what they are. They aren't vintage stores, these pieces have all been donated to them,' she adds.

'I think if I'm going to be spending this kind of money, I might as well go to a proper vintage store where someone's taken the time to pick and curate a really special collection of clothing.'

The video has captured the attention of more than 40,900 social media users, with many expressing their displeasure with the price increases at their respective local second-hand shops.

One user said: 'This is a big reason why people turn to fast fashion instead of thrift stores because it's cheaper to go and buy 1/2.'

'Omg yes! I'm so over it. I'm not paying $90 for something second-hand and donated,' another shared.

A third chimed in: 'I feel the same way...Especially with food and petrol so expensive people are struggling and need help with clothing and furniture.'

One user from the US shared how Americans are experiencing the same issue with the charity shops there.

The American user's comment read: 'The US is doing this too! Goodwill is charging $9.99 for a $5 Walmart shirt.'

When you purchase second-hand clothing, you are meant to not only save money, but you are also helping to reduce the amount of clothing that ends up in landfills. It is estimated that the average person throws away about 23 kilograms of clothing per year. By purchasing second-hand clothing, you can help to reduce this waste.

That is why we understand the frustration of many savvy shoppers who were hoping to save a few dollars by opting for charity shops but instead faced high prices.

Do you shop at second-hand stores? Did your local thrift store increase prices too? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Not all. There was an organisation in Qld who charged OTT prices but their stores have closed now - wonder why? Church run oppies are usually cheaper. I still like to op as its a donation for the chariy, saves landfill and usually I buy better quality clothes at K-Mart prices.

There's no denying that shopping second-hand can save you a lot of money. In fact, it's one of the thriftiest things you can do! Whether you're shopping for clothes, furniture, or anything else, opting for second-hand items can help you keep more of your hard-earned cash in your pocket, especially now that the cost of living is on the rise.

That's why when one savvy shopper called out her local charity shop for its 'outrageous' high prices for its second-hand clothes, the internet was left gobsmacked.

In a recent TikTok video, Melbourne thrifter Jaclyn criticised op shops for charging 'ridiculous' amounts for 'supposedly-cheap' pre-owned clothing, claiming that since they are now charging heaps of dollars for the garments, savvy shoppers will most probably flock to fast fashion outlets like Kmart instead.

Jaclyn also noted that charity shops are now 'losing their enthusiasm' for bringing quality pieces for a lower cost to their customers.

She asks in the clip: 'Is anyone else getting completely over Australian thrift store prices these days and how they just charge an arm and a leg for absolutely everything?'

'I used to love the thrill of the hunt and finding a really special piece for a bargain price but it seems it's getting kind of impossible to do that now.'

The video then shows Jaclyn looking through the racks at her neighbourhood Savers, which featured affordable fast fashion labels like Shein and Zara but with prices as high as $60.

oOj15TjXjAknYBnV2NLgcPiX4j6CQtRofhBO9831M6z2itpTm14Fw1DXimGVc7j-sD8uaEdlZqhwC3D2-_ZGbby6pnzWbBXfrJfnH-tAqt_SZ4SELSoHQJlBVYa9Z3JZ3qrrB2sh96JT7kH12nOiZg
pXnANC8GCakbb73JEBMFusso1ha79aeH4WDqQ0pCBcnbJ9BtG8QFemYE4MByGcbYS9RxpjEHA6_irI8MEBRt3sZ3FM29aYU1rUrJHy_tX1F2dEpBW5vC46er3TxHC6EVa7_-dvr3C48IgXNrhl1Sfw

A thrifty shopper slammed her local charity shop for selling second-hand clothes from budget-friendly brands such as Shein and Zara for ‘outrageous’ prices. Credit: TikTok/@jaclyn_snaps.

'I think thrift stores need to take a step back and remember what they are. They aren't vintage stores, these pieces have all been donated to them,' she adds.

'I think if I'm going to be spending this kind of money, I might as well go to a proper vintage store where someone's taken the time to pick and curate a really special collection of clothing.'

The video has captured the attention of more than 40,900 social media users, with many expressing their displeasure with the price increases at their respective local second-hand shops.

One user said: 'This is a big reason why people turn to fast fashion instead of thrift stores because it's cheaper to go and buy 1/2.'

'Omg yes! I'm so over it. I'm not paying $90 for something second-hand and donated,' another shared.

A third chimed in: 'I feel the same way...Especially with food and petrol so expensive people are struggling and need help with clothing and furniture.'

One user from the US shared how Americans are experiencing the same issue with the charity shops there.

The American user's comment read: 'The US is doing this too! Goodwill is charging $9.99 for a $5 Walmart shirt.'

When you purchase second-hand clothing, you are meant to not only save money, but you are also helping to reduce the amount of clothing that ends up in landfills. It is estimated that the average person throws away about 23 kilograms of clothing per year. By purchasing second-hand clothing, you can help to reduce this waste.

That is why we understand the frustration of many savvy shoppers who were hoping to save a few dollars by opting for charity shops but instead faced high prices.

Do you shop at second-hand stores? Did your local thrift store increase prices too? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

I ran an Op Shop and it is the pressure from those at the top” to make a budget that pushes the prices up. No they are not “op shops” anymore. That’s why I resigned

I have found the same issue at many thrift shops in my area, kids clothes in particular cheaper at Kmart and new, not out of shape and needing a wash, as for ladies clothes they're quite out of date for the price only okay when you can alter and modernise them a bit, think its got a bit to do with managers who really have no idea of value, for instance I picked up a designer pair of satin jeans for $6, googled the designer name and it was an Australian designer, another pair of satin jeans was on same rack for $12 only they were from Kmart.

I've found the same situation here in Sydney. Some of the second hand stores are so expensive I won't even bother to look there anymore. I may as well buy from Kmart.

I absolutely agree… it’s ridiculous what the prices are these days… and the stuff they have now it’s the lowest quality… like Kmart t-shirt for $2…. New in shop$3… why????

Reactions: Mrs P and Ricci

I have been a regular opshopper all my life & cannot believe the prices some stores are asking these days for their goods. I appreciate that many op shops now operate as franchises & are essentially run as businesses having to pay their own overheads & running costs rather than as charity outlets. The 'spirit' of the opshop has largely been lost--to provide reasonable quality second-hand goods to largely vulnerable people who do not have the disposable income to afford them the opportunity to buy new products. I know that some organisations do provide those in most need or in crisis situations clothing & household items but I often baulk at the price tags on a lot of the used goods on sale in the stores. In many instances, it is, in fact, cheaper to go to stores like KMart or BigW where you can buy a new product more cheaply than what is being offered in opshops for a similar--but used--item. As mentioned in the article, opshops aren't run as 'retro' or vintage stores but are largely established to cater for a need for our vulnerable. Charity organisations need to rethink the intentions & motivations at the heart of what they do & provide. Maybe combine forces & establish retro/vintage boutiques to cater to the more affluent shopper but please take a good look at & reconsider the prices many are charging for their used items.

I used to love going to our secondhand shops but no more. My daughter went to one of our local shops and they were charging more for a top than the new price. Everything is donated and their prices are ridiculous.

Same here ,priced a shirt top from Miller's, op shop price is $15 ,millers price $10 ,found similar overpriced clothes all through the store ,so called exclusive brands 40dollars plus, some of these items were well worn, time they got realistic, supposed to be a charity shop ..

Reactions: debjane and Ricci

The op shop ( goodies) in Beulah park Adelaide is still one of the cheapest around. Also has 1/2 price sales

Reactions: Ricci

Yes I'm so there with you, Vinnies are the worst, some of them let you bargain but Vinnies charge way too much for everything and won't go down on price

Try the little ones run by church groups our little local one very thing is only a couple of dollars

I agree. Those who run op shops seem to forget that items have been donated and have cost them nothing. It’s tough when I can pay less at an ordinary shop that at an op shop.

On Saturday at Vinnnies a pair of Wittner shoes....$75 ! "Tell him he's dreaming!"

Op shops lost the plot years ago when they started paying managers and people to price things and became businesses. They just don’t get that if they sell clothes at a fair price they will clear their stores making room for more donations and channeling money into the charities