Is this the ‘Most Australian Photo of the Year’? - Hilarious cockatoo act takes social media by storm

Ahh, Australia, one of the greatest places in the world to call home. From its stunning landscapes and cities to its unique wildlife – it’s no wonder that Australia is such a popular place to visit.

Australians are fortunate enough to experience amazing moments in nature, like spotting a koala snoozing in a nearby tree, or a mob of kangaroos hopping by in a local park.

However, it's not always picture-perfect scenes. Some funny and unexpected bloopers can happen when you're sharing your space with Australian wildlife.

Recently, one Aussie had a hilarious encounter with our mischievous wildlife. While enjoying the sunny day outside, a cockatoo swooped down and stole their thongs! Yes, you read that right - those beloved flip-flops that Aussies can't live without.

The Aussie shared their experience on Reddit, posting a photo of the cockatoo still holding the thong.

R4S2tmG7po0ZI6rXlXizH4XiDSSIkj7Nc-FfVwRibO8.jpg
Many social media users are hailing this photo as the ‘Most Australian Photo of the Year’. Credit: Reddit.

‘Bloody cockatoo stole my thong,’ the caption read.

The post gained traction on social media, amassing more than 26,000 likes and hundreds of comments from users who called it ‘the most Australian photo of the year’.

One user wrote: ‘Cockatoos are the juvenile delinquents of Australian native animals.’

‘Bogans of the sky,’ another joked.

A third agreed, saying: ‘I could not agree more. Even if they're 50 years old, they're still juvenile delinquents.’

One person recalled hearing a radio interview with a cockatoo expert who explained that because these birds eat nutrient-rich food, they have a lot of spare time on their hands. Being intelligent and inquisitive, they often use this time to cause trouble.

Another person shared a personal experience of being at a friend's apartment in Wollongong when a sulphur-crested cockatoo landed on the balcony and proceeded to snip the fairy lights with its beak, much to everyone's surprise.

Others joked about how this particular event was just another ‘typical day’ Down Under.

One parent recalled: ‘Back when my kid was very little he got some weird habit of running up to flocks of birds on the ground to scare them off.’

‘One day he made the mistake of doing this to a big group of sulphur-crested cockatoos. They all took off except for one who landed in the tree above him and started stripping off bits of tree bark and dropping them on his head.’

Others also shared theirhilarious experiences with Aussie wildlife.

‘I left a couple of wet joggers out on the balcony for a few days and they both got nicked by some parakeets,’ one user wrote.

Another added: ‘I'll never forget the time I went camping and we made sandwiches. I was holding my pork sandwich talking to a friend when a kookaburra flew down and took it out of my hand after a single bite.’

It’s moments like this, which perfectly show the Australian spirit and bring us all together - what an incredible photo!

It’s important to remember that while these incidents of animals causing harmless mischief around us can be funny, it’s also vital to observe proper safety precautions when out in nature.

After all, wildlife is wildlife and you never know what could happen. It's the responsibility of all Aussies to ensure these animals and their habitats are protected.

Key Takeaways
  • A recent photo of a cockatoo stealing a pair of thongs went viral, with users hailing it as ‘the most Australian photo of the year’.
  • Cockatoos often cause trouble with their inquisitive nature and spare time, with people sharing stories of their personal encounters with mischievous wildlife.
  • Aussies have experienced kookaburras and other wildlife stealing food and other items.
  • The post has highlighted the bond that Australians have with wildlife, as well as the humour of unexpected encounters with our local critters.

Australia is one of the most proactive countries when it comes to wildlife conservation. 97 per cent of the land has been designated as national parks, reserves and nature reserves, many of which are staffed by volunteer groups.

The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act (EPBC Act) protects threatened animals and plants and lists migratory species, marine species, and the habitats in which they live. It addresses the loss of biodiversity by protecting habitats and increasing public awareness of their importance.

Organisations like Greening Australia, the Australian Koala Foundation, and WWF Australia are actively involved in protecting and restoring biodiversity in Australia. They are funded by donations and corporate partnerships, as well as government and community support.

The responsibility of conserving Australia's wildlife falls not only on the shoulders of rangers and conservationists but on every Australian. It is crucial that we all show mindfulness towards our environment and respect towards our native animals. This will help ensure that they remain a vital part of our home for generations to come.

Have you had any encounters with mischievous wildlife? We would love to hear about them! Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Ahh, Australia, one of the greatest places in the world to call home. From its stunning landscapes and cities to its unique wildlife – it’s no wonder that Australia is such a popular place to visit.

Australians are fortunate enough to experience amazing moments in nature, like spotting a koala snoozing in a nearby tree, or a mob of kangaroos hopping by in a local park.

However, it's not always picture-perfect scenes. Some funny and unexpected bloopers can happen when you're sharing your space with Australian wildlife.

Recently, one Aussie had a hilarious encounter with our mischievous wildlife. While enjoying the sunny day outside, a cockatoo swooped down and stole their thongs! Yes, you read that right - those beloved flip-flops that Aussies can't live without.

The Aussie shared their experience on Reddit, posting a photo of the cockatoo still holding the thong.

View attachment 15133
Many social media users are hailing this photo as the ‘Most Australian Photo of the Year’. Credit: Reddit.

The post gained traction on social media, amassing more than 26,000 likes and hundreds of comments from users who called it ‘the most Australian photo of the year’.

One user wrote: ‘Cockatoos are the juvenile delinquents of Australian native animals.’

A third agreed, saying: ‘I could not agree more. Even if they're 50 years old, they're still juvenile delinquents.’

One person recalled hearing a radio interview with a cockatoo expert who explained that because these birds eat nutrient-rich food, they have a lot of spare time on their hands. Being intelligent and inquisitive, they often use this time to cause trouble.

Another person shared a personal experience of being at a friend's apartment in Wollongong when a sulphur-crested cockatoo landed on the balcony and proceeded to snip the fairy lights with its beak, much to everyone's surprise.

Others joked about how this particular event was just another ‘typical day’ Down Under.

One parent recalled: ‘Back when my kid was very little he got some weird habit of running up to flocks of birds on the ground to scare them off.’

‘One day he made the mistake of doing this to a big group of sulphur-crested cockatoos. They all took off except for one who landed in the tree above him and started stripping off bits of tree bark and dropping them on his head.’

‘I left a couple of wet joggers out on the balcony for a few days and they both got nicked by some parakeets,’ one user wrote.

Another added: ‘I'll never forget the time I went camping and we made sandwiches. I was holding my pork sandwich talking to a friend when a kookaburra flew down and took it out of my hand after a single bite.’

It’s moments like this, which perfectly show the Australian spirit and bring us all together - what an incredible photo!

It’s important to remember that while these incidents of animals causing harmless mischief around us can be funny, it’s also vital to observe proper safety precautions when out in nature.

After all, wildlife is wildlife and you never know what could happen. It's the responsibility of all Aussies to ensure these animals and their habitats are protected.

Key Takeaways

• A recent photo of a cockatoo stealing a pair of thongs went viral, with users hailing it as ‘the most Australian photo of the year’.
  • Cockatoos often cause trouble with their inquisitive nature and spare time, with people sharing stories of their personal encounters with mischievous wildlife.
  • Aussies have experienced kookaburras and other wildlife stealing food and other items.
  • The post has highlighted the bond that Australians have with wildlife, as well as the humour of unexpected encounters with our local critters.

Australia is one of the most proactive countries when it comes to wildlife conservation. 97 per cent of the land has been designated as national parks, reserves and nature reserves, many of which are staffed by volunteer groups.

The Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act (EPBC Act) protects threatened animals and plants and lists migratory species, marine species, and the habitats in which they live. It addresses the loss of biodiversity by protecting habitats and increasing public awareness of their importance.

Organisations like Greening Australia, the Australian Koala Foundation, and WWF Australia are actively involved in protecting and restoring biodiversity in Australia. They are funded by donations and corporate partnerships, as well as government and community support.

The responsibility of conserving Australia's wildlife falls not only on the shoulders of rangers and conservationists but on every Australian. It is crucial that we all show mindfulness towards our environment and respect towards our native animals. This will help ensure that they remain a vital part of our home for generations to come.

Have you had any encounters with mischievous wildlife? We would love to hear about them! Share your stories with us in the comments below!
When I was a kid, a cockatoo would come and take the pegs off my mother's washing, letting the washing fall into the dirt. A pet bird also ate the flowers off her wedding bouquet. Cheeky things.

View attachment 15133

Key Takeaways

We were leaving some food out for a particular cockatoo that had become quite friendly. One day I had been out all day and had neglected to leave some food out for our “friends”. I had a few succulents growing on the back veranda in some lovely pots, not any more! The cockatoo had picked every one up and literally dropped them on concrete! The amount of mess I came home too certainly meant no more food for this little bird.

I just have to compliment you on this beautiful article and the stories from the readers. It was so good to see the interest in our depleting wildlife. Please keep up the support in any way that you can.

We used to have a cockatoo visit the nursery I was working in. Customers loved it but it was very destructive. Would go around pulling plants out of punnets and throwing them on the ground, just a few from each punnet mind you. Worked it’s way around all the beds chewing flowers off as well. It would fly off when hunted but as soon as you turned your back flew down and continued being destructive. Eventually it stopped coming, we never found out where it went.

View attachment 15133

Key Takeaways

Many years ago I was looking after an elderly man at his large block of property. While all of the staff were having lunch, I’d gone to answer the phone and a magpie flew in to the veranda and pinched my salad sandwich. When I got back to the table everyone was historical and I looked up and watched my sandwich fly off. It was funny watching a small bird with a big sandwich flying off. 🦅🤣

These are lovely and interesting stories, everyone! :D But I never knew cockatoos could also be so scary :eek:
Where I live in the 'burbs of Brisbane' we have many Sulpher-Crested Cockatoos. They regularly entertain relatives from the outback when food there is scarce. We have a very large Paperbark tree in the backyard where they vie with the rosellas for nesting rights. The rosellas usually win all the best sights. I just love to see the streams of Cockatoos flying by my windows every beat of the wings brings a squeal of delight from them.And I must admit one of joy from me. especially as I hate the crows that complain all day every day. I really hate crows! mind you they must know as they don't spend too much time around here with 3 dogs who are all great- dane crosses with some evidence of Labrador in them all. Although they don't all look the same. They are guard dogs after all is said & done.

View attachment 15133

Key Takeaways

I have had a brand new garden uprooted twice in a few days by cockatoos. Reduced me to tears. Had to buy a net and cover the third planting. They also ate the finials on the top of the neighbouring houses.

Reactions: Zoya, Gsr and Ricci
Cockatoos aren’t the only birds that will steal food out of your hand. My father-in-law was eating a sausage in bread at a bbq and a kookaburra flew down and grabbed just the sausage.

Reactions: Zoya
Many years ago I was looking after an elderly man at his large block of property. While all of the staff were having lunch, I’d gone to answer the phone and a magpie flew in to the veranda and pinched my salad sandwich. When I got back to the table everyone was historical and I looked up and watched my sandwich fly off. It was funny watching a small bird with a big sandwich flying off. 🦅🤣
Hysterical???

Aussie wildlife are the cheekiest. Enjoying a chicken salad at a picnic when an Inch Ant drooped onto my plate from a tree - ran across grabbing a piece of chicken before running off with it. 🤣

The Cockies regularly destroy my Protea flowers. They bite them in half & rip them off the branches.
I don't get to see my flowers very often.

I can remember 50 years ago camping in the forest camping grounds of Pemberton WA and it was not unusual for kookaburras to swoop down on the barbie and steal the food of the hot plate and they really loved to swoop down and steal a sausage right out of someone's mouth. Then going back 55 + years ago an Aunt had this old cocky that it wore a knitted coat as it had no feathers, but it swore like a sailor/trooper, sang ditties and god save the king (we had a queen then).