Is this iconic Aussie footy snack about to disappear? Plummeting sales put its future at risk!

A quintessential Australian symbol that simply cannot be mistaken is the timeless classic meat pie. Be it a sudden chill in the air or a thrilling footy game, nothing satisfies quite like sinking your teeth into a warm, irresistibly flaky meat pie with the perfect amount of tomato sauce.

They're nearly as iconic as the renowned Sydney Opera House, wouldn't you agree? Yet, troublingly, the crowd-favourite snack is facing a threat, with sales experiencing a sharp decline in recent years.

According to data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), sales of meat pies from both supermarkets and bakeries have been steadily dropping for the past five years, reaching an all-time low in March this year.

Of course, there's a certain rhythm to pie sales in this country. Sales tend to rise (just like a perfect pastry) in the colder months and dip during our sweltering Aussie summers.

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 1.21.00 PM.png
New data revealed this classic snack could be on the way out. Credit: Facebook/Vintage Kiss.

But this year, something is different. Our trusty meat pie sales failed to make a comeback. Instead, the figures continued declining, with December sales sharply plummeting like a botched soufflé.

At their worst point, pie sales were 40% lower than their peak in June 2020, when Australia was knee-deep in the pandemic. The ABS data doesn't include pies bought from takeaway shops, though, so it's important to note that this dip is specific to supermarket and bakery pies only.

In an interview with Sunrise, Jon Gisler, owner of Gisler Pies in Queensland, remains optimistic and says he doesn't know where these statistics are coming from but insists that 'Pies are here to stay.'

With a heartfelt dedication to the humble snack, Gisler urges all Aussies to rally around their local bakeries: 'I think everyone just needs to jump in their car and support their local bakeries today,' he said.

Meat Pie Expenditure.jpg

So, what's causing this decline in meat pie sales? Some believe the rising cost of living is to blame, forcing budget-conscious buyers to opt for more affordable meal options.

Basic economics supports this notion. As the cost of living bears down, the first thing to go is non-essential purchases.

Social media users have also weighed in on the matter, with one Aussie on Twitter saying: 'I stopped having them because of the price; for a few dollars more, you can buy something better.'

Another wrote: 'I wouldn't say they're not popular. They're just getting too expensive. High cost of living. People are budgeting and are struggling to get the bare essentials.'

Others questioned whether the higher prices of ingredients like beef and pastry could be causing these disappointing stats (as prices increase to accomodate manufacturing costs) – or perhaps there's a cultural shift afoot? Are Aussies swapping their pies for pizzas? Is the golden era of the meat pie slowly fading away?

Only time will tell if this classic Aussie snack can ride out this wave of uncertainty. In the meantime, let's all show our support for the meat pie industry by treating ourselves to a fresh, warm pie – complete with lashings of tomato sauce, of course.

Key Takeaways

• Sales of iconic Australian meat pies have been declining, reaching a five-year low this year, according to data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
  • Seasonal pie sales trends changed in 2022, with sales remaining lower than usual and continuing to decline instead of picking up in winter as expected.
  • The ABS data shows that in March of this year, meat pie sales were the lowest since March 2018 and 40% lower than their peak in June 2020.
  • Some consumers have stopped buying pies, citing increased prices as the main reason; others question whether it is a cultural shift or higher costs of pie ingredients contributing to the decline.

Members, we would love to hear your thoughts. Have you found yourselves still enjoying the occasional meat pie, or have you observed a shift in your purchasing habits? If so, what substitute have you chosen in place of this saucy snack? We eagerly await your opinions, so please share them with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
For me, the price of a pie these days is way out of my budget. They used to be a budget friendly meal but at more than $6 each (& that's a cheap pie) that's waaaay too much.
Here in Tasmania I like the National pie brand from Woolies very nice pies not too much salt in them

I am gluten intolerant and I buy my gf pies from Ridgy Didge pie shop in Thornton ,NSW. They are delicious,lots of meat. They are dearer than the normal pies but I only buy them occasionally. Today is a good day to have one ,cold and windy here.

Reactions: Littleboy8
We enjoy a nice meat pie, I like to have a pack of frozen party pies and sausage rolls in the freezer for a quick easy meal. I don’t buy many pies at the bakery anymore as too expensive. I love chicken and leek pies, my husband loves beef and pepper pies, so I buy frozen packs of these if on special at the supermarket. Even the supermarket home brand large or small pies have become very expensive for what they are. I don’t believe pies will ever disappear off the market, just because people aren’t eating as many and their profits are down is no reason for producers to stop making them.

For me, the price of a pie these days is way out of my budget. They used to be a budget friendly meal but at more than $6 each (& that's a cheap pie) that's waaaay too much.
I still love and buy pies. There is little that is better value than a hot meat pie.

We buy from a pie shop, they have an assortment of everything from chunky beef to mince, I prefer potato pie and my husbands a chunky pepper beef fan. I don't think they'll ever stop making pies, besides, they're just started opening Aussie pie shops in the US.

Reactions: Littleboy8 and Ezzy
Still enjoy my dog's eyes, especially curry from the bakery.

In 1958 onwards for my Primary School days it was always 2 meat pies from the corner deli, across from the school, every Monday. 2/- each, order before school & straight across at lunch time to get them. The store owner used to place orders in a large book with our names & at lunch time all orders were laid out on the counter with our name on the bag. That's when the fun started. Nothing was in alphabetical order of course & so they searched every order until yours was found. Ah, to have those days back again. Years later the joke was, 'what does a pie cost?' The reply was, '2 & 6 with sauce'. I think originally this may have been 3d, but that's where rising costs came in; as we are all too painfully aware of.

If I don't buy a pie at the soccer, I will go into withdrawals.
It's the only time I indulge when out and about. Nice Thompsons pies and to be honest, I cannot recall how much they are. I get 10% off because I am a member, so, onward and upward. Cannot break this tradition.
My hubby would walk on broken glass to find a good steak & kidney pie. Getting rare as hens teeth. He has 1 shop that sells them to his taste and gets his community care person to take him for a 20 drive once a month to get his fix.
We don't drink, smoke or gamble. A pie every now and then is a much better option.

A quintessential Australian symbol that simply cannot be mistaken is the timeless classic meat pie. Be it a sudden chill in the air or a thrilling footy game, nothing satisfies quite like sinking your teeth into a warm, irresistibly flaky meat pie with the perfect amount of tomato sauce.

They're nearly as iconic as the renowned Sydney Opera House, wouldn't you agree? Yet, troublingly, the crowd-favourite snack is facing a threat, with sales experiencing a sharp decline in recent years.

According to data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), sales of meat pies from both supermarkets and bakeries have been steadily dropping for the past five years, reaching an all-time low in March this year.

Of course, there's a certain rhythm to pie sales in this country. Sales tend to rise (just like a perfect pastry) in the colder months and dip during our sweltering Aussie summers.

View attachment 22836
New data revealed this classic snack could be on the way out. Credit: Facebook/Vintage Kiss.

But this year, something is different. Our trusty meat pie sales failed to make a comeback. Instead, the figures continued declining, with December sales sharply plummeting like a botched soufflé.

At their worst point, pie sales were 40% lower than their peak in June 2020, when Australia was knee-deep in the pandemic. The ABS data doesn't include pies bought from takeaway shops, though, so it's important to note that this dip is specific to supermarket and bakery pies only.

In an interview with Sunrise, Jon Gisler, owner of Gisler Pies in Queensland, remains optimistic and says he doesn't know where these statistics are coming from but insists that 'Pies are here to stay.'

With a heartfelt dedication to the humble snack, Gisler urges all Aussies to rally around their local bakeries: 'I think everyone just needs to jump in their car and support their local bakeries today,' he said.

So, what's causing this decline in meat pie sales? Some believe the rising cost of living is to blame, forcing budget-conscious buyers to opt for more affordable meal options.

Basic economics supports this notion. As the cost of living bears down, the first thing to go is non-essential purchases.

Social media users have also weighed in on the matter, with one Aussie on Twitter saying: 'I stopped having them because of the price; for a few dollars more, you can buy something better.'

Another wrote: 'I wouldn't say they're not popular. They're just getting too expensive. High cost of living. People are budgeting and are struggling to get the bare essentials.'

Others questioned whether the higher prices of ingredients like beef and pastry could be causing these disappointing stats (as prices increase to accomodate manufacturing costs) – or perhaps there's a cultural shift afoot? Are Aussies swapping their pies for pizzas? Is the golden era of the meat pie slowly fading away?

Only time will tell if this classic Aussie snack can ride out this wave of uncertainty. In the meantime, let's all show our support for the meat pie industry by treating ourselves to a fresh, warm pie – complete with lashings of tomato sauce, of course.

Key Takeaways

• Sales of iconic Australian meat pies have been declining, reaching a five-year low this year, according to data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
  • Seasonal pie sales trends changed in 2022, with sales remaining lower than usual and continuing to decline instead of picking up in winter as expected.
  • The ABS data shows that in March of this year, meat pie sales were the lowest since March 2018 and 40% lower than their peak in June 2020.
  • Some consumers have stopped buying pies, citing increased prices as the main reason; others question whether it is a cultural shift or higher costs of pie ingredients contributing to the decline.

Members, we would love to hear your thoughts. Have you found yourselves still enjoying the occasional meat pie, or have you observed a shift in your purchasing habits? If so, what substitute have you chosen in place of this saucy snack? We eagerly await your opinions, so please share them with us in the comments section below!
The old humble dog's eye bakery pies 🥧 are to dear I buy the pies 🥧 from Aldi the pies are out of the same factory Patties 🏭 went to the factory 🏭 outlet in Pakenham brought the Patties pies that time as they where on special but noticed the Aldi brand's there and the woman said they are all out of the same factory so buy from Aldi and not Woolworths and Coles inflated prices for the same product in different packaging 😋dog's eye and sauce 👍

I love a good old humble mince pie but find that a lot of pies lacking in filling but way over priced especially the mass produced ones such as Mrs Macs. A double up in the pastry department to make it look the same size as the originals. Come one, we are not stupid!!! More pie, less price = happy chappy

View attachment 22836

Key Takeaways

I love pies just got my order delivered and 4 pies in my shopping! Yummy yummy yummy pies in my tummy! 4 meals there pie floater in homemade soup coming up! What a treat!👍

I also love National pies. Only problem Woolies has deleted them. Tried other pies but not much meat & gravy, too much pastry.
I use to love the local pies from the bakery in Rosebery tassie miss them!🙀

View attachment 22836

Key Takeaways

Pies are pricing themselves out of the market, most selling for $7 or more. For a worker one pie is not filling enough. The price of beef at the sale yards have dropped 40% but it is not reflected at the butchers. Subway, while not dripping juicy meat, is much mire affordable.