Is this break well-deserved? Bus driver's sudden turn sparks debate among commuters

In the bustling world of public transport, schedules are tight, and passengers are eager to reach their destinations.

Yet, a bus driver's unexpected act during his shift brewed a storm of controversy online.

A Gold Coast bus driver left his passengers waiting as he grabbed a cuppa.

The incident, captured on video, showed the driver stopping at a Southport cafe.

One of the passengers claimed the coffee run took 10 minutes, which stirred up a debate on social media pages.

compressed-bus driver.jpeg
A bus driver refuelled himself while letting passengers wait. Image Credit: Facebook/7News Gold Coast

Several commenters supported the driver and his need to stay awake for the job.

'He was probably exhausted and needed it to keep him going,' one commenter noted.

'Bus drivers are humans as well,' they added.

'What if he was exhausted and it was better to get a coffee than to crash?' another asked.

However, not everyone was willing to let the incident slide.

Several people shared their thoughts about the issue.

They believed that service should come first, and personal needs should be managed without inconveniencing the public.

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate expressed his disappointment towards the act.

'Make some coffee at home and have it available so you don't inconvenience your passengers,' he stated.

'It's about service. It's the ultimate rudeness, really.'

Kinetic, the company behind the driver's bus services, responded to the issue, stating that they are looking into the incident.

They also reassured the public that their drivers have allocated breaks during their shifts.

Watch the news about it here:

Source: 7News Gold Coast/Facebook

This incident raised the question of whether this coffee stop was scheduled or if it was a last-minute decision made by the driver.

This incident opened up a conversation about service delivery and the well-being of the service providers.
Key Takeaways

• A Gold Coast bus driver caused a stir by stopping for a coffee during his shift.
  • Some passengers expressed their frustration, while others sympathised and acknowledged that the driver may have needed the coffee to stave off fatigue.
  • Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate commented on the situation and suggested that drivers should avoid inconveniencing passengers.
  • Kinetic, the bus service provider, started investigating the incident and stated that their drivers have allocated breaks throughout their shifts.
Have you ever been delayed by a service provider before? Should there be a strict adherence to schedules, or should there be room for understanding? Pour your thoughts into the comments section below.

Sponsored
He was exhausted? lf he needed a stimulant to continue doing his job, to stay awake or alert, he was unfit to work. He would most likely have been unfit for work in the first place. Especially when he is responsible for the safety and welfare of his passengers, other road users, and for operating the bus on behalf of his employer. l would love to learn what follow up action was taken by his employer.

I think there should always be room for understanding. However if other workers knocked off to have a coffee then recipients of services could be affected. Imagine a policeman, or Doctor or anyone who delivers a service to the community knocking off. The circumstance should have been taken into account and how badly it would impact on the passengers. Someone may have missed an appointment or missed a train or plane. Consideration should be taken about the driver’s needs too ir he may have needed the toilet. But generally I would considered it extremely inappropriate for him to do this

Reactions: Gsr
He was exhausted? lf he needed a stimulant to continue doing his job, to stay awake or alert, he was unfit to work. He would most likely have been unfit for work in the first place. Especially when he is responsible for the safety and welfare of his passengers, other road users, and for operating the bus on behalf of his employer. l would love to learn what follow up action was taken by his employer.

The driver who had a diabetic episode was waiting to find a place to pull over at an outlet to get food and fluids to regulate his sugar levels. I have found myself nodding at the wheel although I knew that I had plenty of sleep. I found a small shop next to a school. And bought food and a coke then went to the car park and sat eating and resting until I felt well enough to drive. If I had had to go further I am sure I would have had an accident. Being an ex Paramedic gave me a heads up that my sugar was low.

The driver who had a diabetic episode was waiting to find a place to pull over at an outlet to get food and fluids to regulate his sugar levels. I have found myself nodding at the wheel although I knew that I had plenty of sleep. I found a small shop next to a school. And bought food and a coke then went to the car park and sat eating and resting until I felt well enough to drive. If I had had to go further I am sure I would have had an accident. Being an ex Paramedic gave me a heads up that my sugar was low.

Who said he had a diabetic episode? And if he did did he tell the passengers. If he did
I can’t imagine that anyone would complain if they did they were an unfeeling lot

Hi everyone,may I ask on this site please.Doing a Christmas/New year cruise with hubby that has had a bad year health wise,can anyone recommend a travel insurance co mpany to cover us for this trip please,that covers your cancellation etc due to illness or covid, repatriation back in case of the worst,that anyone has used that won't cost more than the trip.Yes I know I should start phoning everyone myself,but at present I am unwell and it would be a huge relief as paid yesterday and want to be insured ASAP.ANY ADVISE WOULD BE A GOD SEND.THANKS IN ADVANCE