Is this $10.99 ALDI dinner 'slab' the ultimate meal trick? Shoppers can't decide!

When it comes to dinner, convenience is king. That's why the frozen food aisle can be a treasure trove of easy meal solutions.

But every now and then, a product comes along that divides opinion before it even hits the dinner table.

Enter the $10.99 ALDI dinner 'slab'—a meal causing quite a stir among shoppers.

The product in question? The Salmon and Broccoli Lasagne that, when one ALDI shopper shared a pre-cooked photo online, sparked a debate that ranged from health concerns to sheer curiosity.

The image, which showed the frozen meal straight out of the box, had some commenters questioning its appearance, with layers that gave off 'strange trifle vibes' and others suggesting it looked 'mouldy'.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 9.37.32 AM.jpeg
An ALDI shopper was hesitant to give this Salmon and Broccoli Lasagne a try because it gave off ‘strange trifle vibes’. Credit: Facebook

'So um...I'm questioning the monstrosity currently baking away in my oven...' the user posted, with a mix of hope and hesitation.

‘Bad lighting, but these layers are giving me some strange trifle vibes. Hoping it's as delicious as people are saying and that it looks more like the picture on the box when it comes out!’

The photos didn't do the meal any favours, with reactions from 'intrigued and disgusted' to outright laughter at the prospect of eating what looked like a 'mouldy cake'.

But as any seasoned shopper knows, appearances can be deceiving. And in the world of frozen meals, the taste truly matters.

Defenders of the ALDI 'slab' were quick to share their experiences, assuring the original poster that they were in for a treat.

'You will not be disappointed! It is delicious,' one fan exclaimed, while another shared their success story.

‘Had this the other day—was really yum—thought it was odd I had to add a little water to the dish I put it in to cook, but all worked out perfectly! Will be buying again,’ another said.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 9.39.16 AM.jpeg
The ALDI shopper was satisfied with the outcome and taste. Credit: Facebook

The anticipation built as the ALDI community awaited the final verdict. And it seems the dinner 'slab' delivered on its promise.

'Edited to add: It was delicious—We'll be getting that again! An absolute slab but fed two of us very nicely,' the original poster updated, even admitting to enjoying the leftovers for breakfast.

The positive reviews had a ripple effect, with other shoppers expressing their eagerness to try the meal for themselves.

'I'm going to ALDI tomorrow, I will get for sure,' one person commented, while another simply stated, 'I would buy again.'

However, a word to the wise: stick to the oven. One adventurous soul attempted to microwave the lasagne, only to be met with less-than-stellar results.

'My s****d microwave attempt. It still smells good but I don’t know how to use microwave, should stick to oven,' they lamented.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI shopper shared their surprise over a frozen salmon and broccoli lasagne that initially appeared 'mouldy' from the box.
  • The product sparked debate among ALDI customers on social media, with some intrigued and others disgusted by its appearance before cooking.
  • Despite the initial concerns, the shopper reported back that the meal was 'delicious' and even enjoyed leftovers for breakfast, with others in the comments also voicing their approval.
  • ALDI customers shared their cooking experiences with the product, with advice to stick to oven cooking rather than attempting to use a microwave for better results.
Have you tried this controversial ALDI meal or any similar frozen dinner 'slabs'? Share your experiences and your go-to quick dinner solutions in the comments below.

Sponsored
YUKKKK sounds disgusting however I do buy ordinary lasagna, cut it into 4, 3 for the freezer and one into me but I buy from IGA. Handy for "I can't be bothered night".
My can't be bothered night is mushroom and capsicum omelet, I can't be bothered a lot of night's because I love it. o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Littleboy8
A couple of my favorite "Can't be bothered nights" is either a tin of Heinz baked beans & sausages or Heinz spaghetti & meatballs on toast. Quite filling & taste pretty good as well. I always cut the snags into 3 pieces to go further.

A couple of my favorite "Can't be bothered nights" is either a tin of Heinz baked beans & sausages or Heinz spaghetti & meatballs on toast. Quite filling & taste pretty good as well. I always cut the snags into 3 pieces to go further.
Nothing wrong with Baked Beans, better than pizza.