Is the newly returned Polly Waffle worth it?

The beloved Polly Waffle is back on Aussie shelves, and we wanted to see if it lived up to the hype.

One commenter summed up the main complaint: ‘Did they say why they aren’t doing a bar form? Bags are dangerous I’ll eat the whole thing in one handful.’

Interested in learning why the bar shape wasn’t possible? We wrote about it here.

45099-compressed-menz 2 (1).jpeg
Have you tried them yet? Image Credit: Facebook/Menz

Let’s get straight into it, here’s what we thought:

Jon:

‘I’ve never tried a Polly Waffle before.’

‘They remind me of a malteaser but with marshmallow instead of biscuit-y malt.’

‘I wouldn’t say no to them for free, but I wouldn’t buy them over something tried and true.’

‘I don’t mind it, but I wouldn’t buy a pack.’

April

‘I was pleasantly surprised by the portioning. There was a thin layer of chocolate (similar to Malteasers, as Jon mentioned), a little layer of wafer and then a sizeable volume of marshmallow inside. Enough that I could eat it in two bites, and it held together.’

‘I can’t say I enjoyed the aftertaste that lingered.’

‘I wouldn’t buy it again, but I can understand the nostalgic excitement of those who remember the taste of the original Polly Waffle bar.’

Maddie:

Maddie thought about it for a while.

After my disparaging comments, Maddie added, ‘I like it.’

‘I would buy a pack.’

‘It tastes like something I know… but not marshmallow.’

This prompted Jon to go for seconds, but he was still adamant that he wouldn’t purchase them himself.

I also tried it again the next day and still found it unpleasant, like soft serve or powdered milk.

So it’s really up to personal preference!

Interested in another perspective? Here’s a well-known food reviewer!

Top tips to know:

- Made in (South) Australia
- Sold in Coles, Woolworths and IGA. The rollout will also include independent supermarkets, petrol and convenience stores.
- $5.50 for a 125gm bag.

Have you tried it yet? We’d love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:
Reactions: LeslieD
Sponsored
I loved them when they were a bar. I don't know why they didn't come back has one, but I can't really tell any major difference between now and then. But simply having five pieces then putting the bag away, didn't happen to me. Even though I'm diabetic, I ate the bag over a few hours. And I'd still prefer the polly waffle over the mars bar, unless you're talking about the mars bar slice recipe. Then the slice recipe is above the polly waffle. I did find that my woolworths had lots, then nothing, then some, then none, then lots.

I tried them yesterday and was so disappointed. They are nothing like the Polly Waffles of years ago. I would not buy them again. I've actually sent an message off to the company on their fb page.

Last edited:
All I can say is yuk.
I am 67 years old and have loved Polly Waffles since I was a kid. My favourite Choc bar was dragged away from me kicking and screaming 15 years ago leaving me devastated. Then the excitement dragged on for more years and on Sunday I finally found somewhere that was selling them. I bought 3 boxes plus one to scan. I was so excited I posted to family and friends. Prematurely! Tastes nothing like Polly Waffle. Absolutely NOTHING! A thin layer of chocolate covering a soft, not crispy wafer around some crystalized sugary crap. Who ever likes it doesn't know the real taste. I sent a message without response so rang to enquire Could my stock be faulty and was told they are sorry my experience wasn't positive. I promptly returned the three unopened boxes the next day. I am left absolutely devastated.

When they were made by Rowntree Hoadley they were a rolled bar shape and were a top seller. When Nestle' bought out Rowntree world wide their chocolate formulae was different and sales of all Nestle' chocolates declined. Pollywaffle, Coffee Crisp and Violet Crumble were eventually dropped from the chocolate lines produced at the Campbellfield site. KitKat's sales also dropped due to the different chocolate formulae.