Wait, it's not back yet? Find out why the much-anticipated Polly Waffle comeback is taking longer than expected

It’s been close to 15 years since Aussies enjoyed a bite of the nostalgic Polly Waffle treats. The sweet combination of wafer, marshmallow and chocolate has been sorely missed, and many are eager to get their hands on the classic chocolate bar again.

But even though the public’s anticipation has reached a fever pitch, the iconic chocolate bars remain absent from the shelves.

News of the Polly Waffle Chocolate Bar returning is nothing new, with the first announcement being made in pre-pandemic times. This was followed by the success of manufacturer Robern Menz with the local relaunch of the Violet Crumble Honeycomb Bar.

However, the Polly Waffle relaunch was delayed due to COVID-19.

In 2021, it was (again) announced that the Polly Waffle Chocolate Bar would return to the market the following year.

Phil Sims, Robern Menz CEO, told reporters at the time that the rollout of the chocolate bars had been previously delayed due to flight restrictions that had halted the delivery of machinery to their production lines. According to the statement, the manufacturer had to ‘rebuild the whole thing’ in order for the chocolate bars to be produced again.

polly1.jpg
The Polly Waffle comeback was first announced in 2019. Credit: Triple M Australia

‘The production line has over 80 pieces of equipment, it’s a very complex design, and when we decided to bring back the Polly Waffle, all the original parts had been disposed of, so we had to start from scratch,’ Mr Sims said.

The Polly Waffle Chocolate bars were discontinued in 2009 due to poor sales – after 62 years of production. It was owned by Nestle when it was discontinued before being picked up by Robern Menz in 2019.

A post to the popular Facebook group Old Shops Australia showed a picture of the Polly Waffle, which featured its famous wafer, marshmallow, and chocolate combination.

Scores of commenters voiced their impatience, with one user saying: ‘Here we go again…Bring this treat back asap. Stop mucking around with excuses.’

Another added: ‘My favourite. I thought they were making a comeback?’

While someone said they hoped the treat would be brought back and that they would taste the same as before.

‘I remember dad would bring three home every Friday night for me, my brother and my sister when we were kids in the 70s,’ one more replied.

polly2.jpg
Many are eagerly awaiting the Polly Waffle’s return. Credit: Facebook

Another social media user responded: ‘We were supposed to get them back two years ago, but still no sign of them. I wish that they would hurry up and get them back for us.’

‘Polly Waffle and a Passiona soft drink was lunch for six weeks as a beach inspector when I was a young buck! Loved ‘em,’ someone else shared.

So, why the delay?

In 2020, Robern Menz was expected to receive $1 million thanks to the federal government’s $50 million Manufacturing Modernisation Fund, which was intended to support small to medium manufacturing businesses and help them scale up their operations.

The grant was expected to go towards building a new, state-of-the-art production line and bring 38 manufacturing jobs to South Australia.

‘Polly Waffle is a unique chocolate bar, and although it may sound simple enough – with its combination of chocolate, wafer and marshmallow – it actually requires a number of fairly complicated processes to create,’ a statement from the manufacturer said at the time.

However, it’s been four years since the rumours about its return began.

A spokesperson from Robern Menz explained that the business has been ‘working hard on the return’ and spent a ‘significant amount’ of time and resources to secure the proper equipment and ensure that ‘justice’ will be done to the beloved chocolate bar.

They said: ‘As you may know, unfortunately, COVID-19 and developments out of our control have caused the delayed the return of everyone’s favourite marshmallow-filled treat.’

The spokesperson continued: ‘While we do not have a definitive date for the launch, rest assured, Polly Waffle will be back on shelves as soon as possible.’

‘We can’t wait to get Polly Waffles in the mouths of those who remember it so well, as well as those yet to try this unique treat,’ they added.
Key Takeaways
  • Aussies are growing impatient while waiting for the return of the nostalgic Polly Waffle treat.
  • The product was discontinued by Nestle in 2009 but was picked up by Robern Menz in 2019 with plans for a comeback.
  • In 2020, Robern Menz was expected to receive $1 million from the federal government's Manufacturing Modernisation Fund to support their new production line.
  • A spokesperson from Robern Menz said COVID-19 and other developments had delayed the return of the treat, but they are working hard to get it back on shelves as soon as possible.
Are you one of the people eagerly awaiting the return of Polly Waffle? What's your fondest memory of this treat? Tell us about the sweetest moments of your life in the comments below!

Sponsored
It’s been close to 15 years since Aussies enjoyed a bite of the nostalgic Polly Waffle treats. The sweet combination of wafer, marshmallow and chocolate has been sorely missed, and many are eager to get their hands on the classic chocolate bar again.

But even though the public’s anticipation has reached a fever pitch, the iconic chocolate bars remain absent from the shelves.

News of the Polly Waffle Chocolate Bar returning is nothing new, with the first announcement being made in pre-pandemic times. This was followed by the success of manufacturer Robern Menz with the local relaunch of the Violet Crumble Honeycomb Bar.

In 2021, it was (again) announced that the Polly Waffle Chocolate Bar would return to the market the following year.

Phil Sims, Robern Menz CEO, told reporters at the time that the rollout of the chocolate bars had been previously delayed due to flight restrictions that had halted the delivery of machinery to their production lines. According to the statement, the manufacturer had to ‘rebuild the whole thing’ in order for the chocolate bars to be produced again.

View attachment 18119
The Polly Waffle comeback was first announced in 2019. Credit: Triple M Australia

‘The production line has over 80 pieces of equipment, it’s a very complex design, and when we decided to bring back the Polly Waffle, all the original parts had been disposed of, so we had to start from scratch,’ Mr Sims said.

The Polly Waffle Chocolate bars were discontinued in 2009 due to poor sales – after 62 years of production. It was owned by Nestle when it was discontinued before being picked up by Robern Menz in 2019.

A post to the popular Facebook group Old Shops Australia showed a picture of the Polly Waffle, which featured its famous wafer, marshmallow, and chocolate combination.

Scores of commenters voiced their impatience, with one user saying: ‘Here we go again…Bring this treat back asap. Stop mucking around with excuses.’

While someone said they hoped the treat would be brought back and that they would taste the same as before.

‘I remember dad would bring three home every Friday night for me, my brother and my sister when we were kids in the 70s,’ one more replied.

View attachment 18117

Another social media user responded: ‘We were supposed to get them back two years ago, but still no sign of them. I wish that they would hurry up and get them back for us.’

‘Polly Waffle and a Passiona soft drink was lunch for six weeks as a beach inspector when I was a young buck! Loved ‘em,’ someone else shared.

So, why the delay?

In 2020, Robern Menz was expected to receive $1 million thanks to the federal government’s $50 million Manufacturing Modernisation Fund, which was intended to support small to medium manufacturing businesses and help them scale up their operations.

The grant was expected to go towards building a new, state-of-the-art production line and bring 38 manufacturing jobs to South Australia.

‘Polly Waffle is a unique chocolate bar, and although it may sound simple enough – with its combination of chocolate, wafer and marshmallow – it actually requires a number of fairly complicated processes to create,’ a statement from the manufacturer said at the time.

A spokesperson from Robern Menz explained that the business has been ‘working hard on the return’ and spent a ‘significant amount’ of time and resources to secure the proper equipment and ensure that ‘justice’ will be done to the beloved chocolate bar.

They said: ‘As you may know, unfortunately, COVID-19 and developments out of our control have caused the delayed the return of everyone’s favourite marshmallow-filled treat.’

The spokesperson continued: ‘While we do not have a definitive date for the launch, rest assured, Polly Waffle will be back on shelves as soon as possible.’

‘We can’t wait to get Polly Waffles in the mouths of those who remember it so well, as well as those yet to try this unique treat,’ they added.
Key Takeaways

• Aussies are growing impatient while waiting for the return of the nostalgic Polly Waffle treat.
  • The product was discontinued by Nestle in 2009 but was picked up by Robern Menz in 2019 with plans for a comeback.
  • In 2020, Robern Menz was expected to receive $1 million from the federal government's Manufacturing Modernisation Fund to support their new production line.
  • A spokesperson from Robern Menz said COVID-19 and other developments had delayed the return of the treat, but they are working hard to get it back on shelves as soon as possible.
Are you one of the people eagerly awaiting the return of Polly Waffle? What's your fondest memory of this treat? Tell us about the sweetest moments of your life in the comments below!
It is way past time the Polly Waffles were returned to our shops. There is a company making Polly Waffles but they are selling them for $5 each!!!! Way too high. All their equivelants are $2 so why $5? I wish they would hurry up, they should never have discontinued them. Stupid move! Bring on the Polly Waffles!!!!

View attachment 18119

View attachment 18117

So, why the delay?

Key Takeaways

loved the polly waffles still waiting, for them to come back

I'm eagerly awaiting a Lotto Win - but i love Polly Waffles too - why did they stop making them?

Last edited:
Reactions: Macarj
I too loved Polly waffles as a kid, but after having my children my body started to turn on me, allergies to antibiotics, felines, dust mites, grass the usual things you might say, however, I also became allergic to chocolate. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate it doesn't matter the richer the cocoa the worse the reaction. So even when they do come back I will still miss them.

• Sad
Reactions: Milica

View attachment 18119

View attachment 18117

So, why the delay?

Key Takeaways

Love polly waffle original but not the one it replaced before production ceased. It was sickly sweet and I would say that is why sales plummeted

Reactions: Milica

View attachment 18119

View attachment 18117

So, why the delay?

Key Takeaways