Is self-serve checkout turning the ‘middle-class’ into shoplifters? The Marks and Spencer boss thinks so!

The advent of self-serve checkouts in supermarkets has been hailed as a triumph of technology, promising to make shopping faster and more efficient.

However, Archie Norman, the Chairman of the retail giant Marks and Spencer, raised concerns that these checkouts inadvertently encourage a surge in 'middle class' shoplifting.

Mr Norman's comments come in the wake of a decision by another supermarket chain to remove almost all self-serve checkouts from its stores.

He told a radio station that shoplifting was a 'global problem' and that the rise in theft was difficult to pinpoint.

Even so, he suggested that the self-serve checkouts contribute to the problem.

Screenshot 2023-11-23 124415.png
Archie Norman, Chairman of Marks and Spencer, claimed that self-serve checkouts encourage middle-class individuals to shoplift. Credit: Marks & Spencer/Facebook

The Marks and Spencer boss noted a growing attitude among shoppers of feeling 'owed' something due to the impersonal nature of self-serve checkouts.

'With the reduction of service you get in a lot of shops, a lot of people think: “This didn’t scan properly, or it’s very difficult to scan these things through, and I shop here all the time. It’s not my fault, I’m owed it”,' he said.

According to Mr Norman, shoplifting is not a huge problem at Marks and Spencer. He explained that the company's emphasis on selling its own brand products makes them less desirable to thieves who typically target more popular brands that are easier to sell.

While other retailers resort to extreme measures to prevent shoplifting, the chain is attempting to use more subtle methods.

‘Our approach is to be open and welcome. We do little things like make sure the steak is positioned in the right place so people can keep an eye on it,’ Mr Norman shared.

He also stated that instead of reducing self-service checkouts, the company will actually increase their number as they are more efficient.

This is in stark contrast to the approach taken by Booths, a rival UK supermarket chain, which has decided to ditch self-serve tills in all but its two busiest stores.

‘We pride ourselves on great customer service, and you can’t do that through a robot,’ Booths Managing Director Nigel Murray stated.

The rise in shoplifting is not just a problem in the UK. Major Australian supermarkets have reported a 20 per cent increase in theft and food wastage in a year.

Recently, major retailers like Coles and Woolworths have stated that they have no plans to remove self-serve checkouts. They argued that these checkouts offer convenience and efficiency and are the preferred option for a lot of their customers.

IGA, on the other hand, remained firm in its decision to avoid implementing self-serve checkouts. An IGA spokesperson stated, ‘Although some of our IGA stores have a self-serve option, the priority is, and always has been, people first in our stores.’

Theft and the Self-Serve Checkout: A Global Issue

The theft issue at self-serve checkouts is not confined to the UK or Australia. Retailers worldwide have been grappling with this problem for years.

A study conducted by the University of Leicester found that the use of self-checkout lanes globally has resulted in a significant increase in revenue loss, amounting to nearly 4 per cent of total sales.

The study suggested that the design of self-checkouts, combined with minimal employee supervision, made theft more likely. It also found that customers who would not normally steal from a store might do so at a self-checkout because they felt it was less morally wrong.

Meanwhile, research by consumer group Canstar Blue revealed that shoppers have polarised opinions about the technology—41 per cent prefer staffed checkouts, while 34 per cent opt for self-serve.

Canstar Blue Editor-in-Chief Christine Seib shared: ‘While shoppers have some understandable objections to self-serve checkouts [...] the fact that a third of shoppers would rather use a self-serve checkout means rolling back their use would likely upset a big group of shoppers.’

Key Takeaways
  • Marks and Spencer's Chairman, Archie Norman, said self-serve checkouts lead to increased instances of 'middle-class' shoplifting.
  • He argued that the ease of self-checkout creates an attitude of entitlement, leading some customers to steal without guilt.
  • Despite this, Mr Norman said Marks and Spencer would increase the number of self-serve checkouts due to their efficiency.
  • Australian supermarkets have reported a 20 per cent increase in theft and food wastage within a year.
  • Coles, Woolworths, and other major retailers reaffirmed their commitment to self-serve options.

What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you noticed an increase in theft at self-serve checkouts? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Reactions: Leodalion63
Sponsored
The advent of self-serve checkouts in supermarkets has been hailed as a triumph of technology, promising to make shopping faster and more efficient.

However, Archie Norman, the Chairman of the retail giant Marks and Spencer, raised concerns that these checkouts inadvertently encourage a surge in 'middle class' shoplifting.

Mr Norman's comments come in the wake of a decision by another supermarket chain to remove almost all self-serve checkouts from its stores.

He told a radio station that shoplifting was a 'global problem' and that the rise in theft was difficult to pinpoint.

View attachment 35579
Archie Norman, Chairman of Marks and Spencer, claimed that self-serve checkouts encourage middle-class individuals to shoplift. Credit: Marks & Spencer/Facebook

The Marks and Spencer boss noted a growing attitude among shoppers of feeling 'owed' something due to the impersonal nature of self-serve checkouts.

'With the reduction of service you get in a lot of shops, a lot of people think: “This didn’t scan properly, or it’s very difficult to scan these things through, and I shop here all the time. It’s not my fault, I’m owed it”,' he said.

According to Mr Norman, shoplifting is not a huge problem at Marks and Spencer. He explained that the company's emphasis on selling its own brand products makes them less desirable to thieves who typically target more popular brands that are easier to sell.

While other retailers resort to extreme measures to prevent shoplifting, the chain is attempting to use more subtle methods.

‘Our approach is to be open and welcome. We do little things like make sure the steak is positioned in the right place so people can keep an eye on it,’ Mr Norman shared.

He also stated that instead of reducing self-service checkouts, the company will actually increase their number as they are more efficient.

This is in stark contrast to the approach taken by Booths, a rival UK supermarket chain, which has decided to ditch self-serve tills in all but its two busiest stores.

‘We pride ourselves on great customer service, and you can’t do that through a robot,’ Booths Managing Director Nigel Murray stated.

The rise in shoplifting is not just a problem in the UK. Major Australian supermarkets have reported a 20 per cent increase in theft and food wastage in a year.

Recently, major retailers like Coles and Woolworths have stated that they have no plans to remove self-serve checkouts. They argued that these checkouts offer convenience and efficiency and are the preferred option for a lot of their customers.

IGA, on the other hand, remained firm in its decision to avoid implementing self-serve checkouts. An IGA spokesperson stated, ‘Although some of our IGA stores have a self-serve option, the priority is, and always has been, people first in our stores.’

The theft issue at self-serve checkouts is not confined to the UK or Australia. Retailers worldwide have been grappling with this problem for years.

A study conducted by the University of Leicester found that the use of self-checkout lanes globally has resulted in a significant increase in revenue loss, amounting to nearly 4 per cent of total sales.

The study suggested that the design of self-checkouts, combined with minimal employee supervision, made theft more likely. It also found that customers who would not normally steal from a store might do so at a self-checkout because they felt it was less morally wrong.

Meanwhile, research by consumer group Canstar Blue revealed that shoppers have polarised opinions about the technology—41 per cent prefer staffed checkouts, while 34 per cent opt for self-serve.

Canstar Blue Editor-in-Chief Christine Seib shared: ‘While shoppers have some understandable objections to self-serve checkouts [...] the fact that a third of shoppers would rather use a self-serve checkout means rolling back their use would likely upset a big group of shoppers.’

Key Takeaways

• Marks and Spencer's Chairman, Archie Norman, said self-serve checkouts lead to increased instances of 'middle-class' shoplifting.
  • He argued that the ease of self-checkout creates an attitude of entitlement, leading some customers to steal without guilt.
  • Despite this, Mr Norman said Marks and Spencer would increase the number of self-serve checkouts due to their efficiency.
  • Australian supermarkets have reported a 20 per cent increase in theft and food wastage within a year.
  • Coles, Woolworths, and other major retailers reaffirmed their commitment to self-serve options.

What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you noticed an increase in theft at self-serve checkouts? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.
Sorry didn't mean to press like. It was meant to press reply.
So how I'm reading this is that if the big wigs at major stores knows about the unmanned checkout thingys are a good thing for shoplifters, why whinged about the problem and fix it with the answers. Open up more checkouts with people. Please correct me if I'm wrong..
That is common sense.
Take care.

I have no sympathy for these businesses,,,,,,,if the highly paid executives had investigated further they would have seen it leads to stealing ,,,an easy way to fix this is to bring back the serviced check-outs but they won't so serves them right,,,,,I'm not promoting stealing by any means but these businesses have bought it on themselves ,,,personally I wouldn't steal,,I will only use the self serve check outs if I'm in a real hurry and have one ore two items

I have no sympathy for these businesses,,,,,,,if the highly paid executives had investigated further they would have seen it leads to stealing ,,,an easy way to fix this is to bring back the serviced check-outs but they won't so serves them right,,,,,I'm not promoting stealing by any means but these businesses have bought it on themselves ,,,personally I wouldn't steal,,I will only use the self serve check outs if I'm in a real hurry and have one ore two items
Hello anouch, thank you so much for explaining it. Thats what I'm talking about. 🙂
Take care.

Never use self checkout! I prefer to help check out people keep their jobs! There are plenty of people out there with a loose moral compass who will take any chance they can to con someone else, big corporation or small business operator!

Well if these business houses have noticed a significant increase in stock loss due to theft since installing self serve checkouts.....that would partly explain why they have installed all of their camera's everywhere and sliding doorways to get out etc.....but will these measures really be enough to stop someone who is determined to take goods without paying for them ? Seems a lot of business houses are getting rid of them and going back to manned checkouts.....hooray !! More of them the merrier.

I only use self checkouts if I have no more than about a dozen items, otherwise I use manned checkouts. I would like to see it be made mandatory for stores to not charge customers for items that won’t scan, that cause a “wait for staff assistance” comment etc. This would make them get their act together and make sure the self serve checkouts work properly and that customers aren’t delayed numerous times by checkout issues that shouldn’t be happening. Would make for a much better experience for shoppers.

View attachment 35579

Key Takeaways

I shop at Woolworths to get the rewards points. I use the self-service check-outs because they are a little more efficient. Also my Honesty is worth more than my trolley full of groceries. I ask you the question, 'What is your honesty worth?' If you say I am an honest person, why do you try and steal $30 worth of groceries? When the lies fail, the insults flow.

How is Booths a rival UK supermarket chain to M&S? They've got 28 stores only in the North of England and M&S have 1,058 stores in 5 countries.

After their Chairman saying all that he then stated that instead of reducing self-service checkouts, the company will actually increase their number as they are more efficient. Of course they're more efficient and much quicker then queuing up when you can do it all yourself. If people are still going to be so childish about not using them as "they dont work there" and, allegedly, "they get rid of staff" then don't use them, but dont be selfish about it as theres plenty of people that want to use them.:rolleyes:

"Have you noticed an increase in theft at self-serve checkouts?" What sort of question is that? It's not even something I'm looking for when I'm using them.

A person I knew bragged about higher priced fruit and veges and put them through as cheaper items also cuts off the tops of broccoli, has a feed of grapes, bananas etc while doing the rounds.

A person I knew bragged about higher priced fruit and veges and put them through as cheaper items also cuts off the tops of broccoli, has a feed of grapes, bananas etc while doing the rounds.
I used to often see this in the supermarket where I used to live.
Also people picking up choc milk, soft drink etc and leaving the empty container on the shelves, and chocolate bars for the kids
Some people have no pride