Is Prince Charles’ era sooner than we might think?

For seven decades, Queen Elizabeth II had a steadfast yet gentle rule over the entirety of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms.

Among the many previously crowned royals, she holds records for the longest royal marriage ever, is the most well-travelled crowned head of state in the world, and is the longest-reigning female monarch in history.

But with the recent news that her health is deteriorating, the general public is asking if it is time to make the most drastic decision of her entire reign.

Is it time for the Queen to retire?

DSMAGtctEMZgsmaUIXqxXG_tdM86U0Atkyr4BqamaZ5J0lyaU2E-nDsl4WdQkDj0z5i59a0P7CFIJ8r0Nxa1AvqMl_aR_1fZFwXq6Nlga67lcBthmCERHE3GvggTdK0ST3OATCs7

A royal expert shares her opinion on whether it’s time for the Queen to step down. Credit: Tim Graham Photo Library via Getty.
Royal expert Daniela Elser is here to weigh in on the issue at hand.

“How much longer can she continue to grimly hang onto a job that she simply can no longer physically do?” she asks.

The Queen started her reign in 1947, delivering her famous 21st birthday radio address from South Africa as she dedicated the rest of her life to public service. Last week at the Commonwealth Day service, she reaffirmed the promise she made 75 years ago. “My life will always be devoted in service,” said the monarch.

But even though her mind and spirit are still clearly in service to the people, sadly it’s clear that her body is no longer always keeping up.

Credit: British Pathé.

The Queen, who turns 96 next month, cancelled her appearance at the annual Commonwealth Day service and delivered a recorded speech instead. According to royal aides, the monarch can no longer handle the travel all the way out from Windsor Castle to Westminster Abbey.

And since the Commonwealth service and Prince Philip’s service are both scheduled at the same venue, experts have already assumed the possibility of the Queen missing out on her husband’s memorial service later this month.

The Queen has also contracted the coronavirus and has only recently recovered.

“Her advancing years have also meant she has had to give up riding, drinking and walking her beloved corgis and dorgi (a dorgi is a dachshund corgi mix that grows to be slightly smaller than a corgi, and weighs a little bit less too), raising the question of just which of her lifelong pleasures Her Majesty has left,” says Ms Elser.

The royal expert also expressed that the Queen’s refusal to step down from the throne will not only affect her personal health but will also “severely impact” the whole monarchy.

“Her ongoing health issues are already proving a huge distraction, with the flurry of reporting and speculation every time she cancels an event detracting from whatever do-goodery her children and grandchildren are up to,” she says.

“Then there is the question of how effective and unifying a leader she can be when she is no longer spending any time anywhere near monarchy HQ aka Buckingham Palace?”

One of the pandemic-induced lifestyle changes the Queen made recently was to make Windsor Castle her full-time home. The decision was due to the fact that Buckingham Palace is in the middle of a 10-year million-euro renovation, which makes the place unfit for the 95-year-old monarch to stay long-term.

“Her Majesty has always innately understood that ruling is built on visibility, be it in person, on the palace balcony or in the press,” Ms Elser adds.

“Video engagements and the very occasional in-person audience in her Windsor sitting room just won’t cut the Colman’s mustard on this front.”

k1_YJSDJK1rhoaISph6PObEJVONPudQ0ngCTMBAWdgZKN6V8UTnHIwleFu0pG1aOS6mDAm_kCv8XRA5j1tuyV3cfB4FUFTOxnFNRTdE9rqafkbOIazuHcBngVqer4aHgjXggeDwr

Prince Charles’ reign would start on a “positive note” if he steps on the throne while the Queen is still alive. Credit: Sang Tan/Pool/AFP.
Lastly, Ms Elser highlights that this period is practically perfect for Prince Charles to take over the royal throne.

“A smooth, joy-filled coronation for King Charles III, one which starred his beaming mother casting a proud eye over proceedings, would be a world away from a coronation tainted by the sadness of her death,” says the royal expert.

Handing over the crown to her son while she is still alive could also start his reign on a “positive note”, amidst the ongoing global crises.

“In this scenario, when Her Majesty did sadly pass away, it would hugely mitigate the upheaval and psychological trauma which her death will trigger in the UK and the Commonwealth,” Ms Elser continues.

“For seven decades, the Queen has undertaken a job she never wanted with verve, determination and single-minded devotion. However the fact is, in 2022, and it pains me to write this, the best way for her to serve the crown now is to step down.”

“Who knows? The doctors might even let her have a martini then.”

What are your thoughts, members? How would you feel about Charles becoming king, or do you think he should abdicate in favour of his son?

Sponsored

For seven decades, Queen Elizabeth II had a steadfast yet gentle rule over the entirety of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms.

Among the many previously crowned royals, she holds records for the longest royal marriage ever, is the most well-travelled crowned head of state in the world, and is the longest-reigning female monarch in history.

But with the recent news that her health is deteriorating, the general public is asking if it is time to make the most drastic decision of her entire reign.

DSMAGtctEMZgsmaUIXqxXG_tdM86U0Atkyr4BqamaZ5J0lyaU2E-nDsl4WdQkDj0z5i59a0P7CFIJ8r0Nxa1AvqMl_aR_1fZFwXq6Nlga67lcBthmCERHE3GvggTdK0ST3OATCs7

A royal expert shares her opinion on whether it’s time for the Queen to step down. Credit: Tim Graham Photo Library via Getty.

“How much longer can she continue to grimly hang onto a job that she simply can no longer physically do?” she asks.

The Queen started her reign in 1947, delivering her famous 21st birthday radio address from South Africa as she dedicated the rest of her life to public service. Last week at the Commonwealth Day service, she reaffirmed the promise she made 75 years ago. “My life will always be devoted in service,” said the monarch.

But even though her mind and spirit are still clearly in service to the people, sadly it’s clear that her body is no longer always keeping up.

The Queen, who turns 96 next month, cancelled her appearance at the annual Commonwealth Day service and delivered a recorded speech instead. According to royal aides, the monarch can no longer handle the travel all the way out from Windsor Castle to Westminster Abbey.

And since the Commonwealth service and Prince Philip’s service are both scheduled at the same venue, experts have already assumed the possibility of the Queen missing out on her husband’s memorial service later this month.

“Her advancing years have also meant she has had to give up riding, drinking and walking her beloved corgis and dorgi (a dorgi is a dachshund corgi mix that grows to be slightly smaller than a corgi, and weighs a little bit less too), raising the question of just which of her lifelong pleasures Her Majesty has left,” says Ms Elser.

The royal expert also expressed that the Queen’s refusal to step down from the throne will not only affect her personal health but will also “severely impact” the whole monarchy.

“Her ongoing health issues are already proving a huge distraction, with the flurry of reporting and speculation every time she cancels an event detracting from whatever do-goodery her children and grandchildren are up to,” she says.

“Then there is the question of how effective and unifying a leader she can be when she is no longer spending any time anywhere near monarchy HQ aka Buckingham Palace?”

One of the pandemic-induced lifestyle changes the Queen made recently was to make Windsor Castle her full-time home. The decision was due to the fact that Buckingham Palace is in the middle of a 10-year million-euro renovation, which makes the place unfit for the 95-year-old monarch to stay long-term.

“Her Majesty has always innately understood that ruling is built on visibility, be it in person, on the palace balcony or in the press,” Ms Elser adds.

“Video engagements and the very occasional in-person audience in her Windsor sitting room just won’t cut the Colman’s mustard on this front.”

k1_YJSDJK1rhoaISph6PObEJVONPudQ0ngCTMBAWdgZKN6V8UTnHIwleFu0pG1aOS6mDAm_kCv8XRA5j1tuyV3cfB4FUFTOxnFNRTdE9rqafkbOIazuHcBngVqer4aHgjXggeDwr

Prince Charles’ reign would start on a “positive note” if he steps on the throne while the Queen is still alive. Credit: Sang Tan/Pool/AFP.
Lastly, Ms Elser highlights that this period is practically perfect for Prince Charles to take over the royal throne.

“A smooth, joy-filled coronation for King Charles III, one which starred his beaming mother casting a proud eye over proceedings, would be a world away from a coronation tainted by the sadness of her death,” says the royal expert.

Handing over the crown to her son while she is still alive could also start his reign on a “positive note”, amidst the ongoing global crises.

“In this scenario, when Her Majesty did sadly pass away, it would hugely mitigate the upheaval and psychological trauma which her death will trigger in the UK and the Commonwealth,” Ms Elser continues.

“For seven decades, the Queen has undertaken a job she never wanted with verve, determination and single-minded devotion. However the fact is, in 2022, and it pains me to write this, the best way for her to serve the crown now is to step down.”

What are your thoughts, members? How would you feel about Charles becoming king, or do you think he should abdicate in favour of his son?

Time we became a Republic. The thought of Charles being our king is horrific

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and Gaena
The last time talk of a republic came up I was of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it school". I actually dread how we would go about selecting a President! Political bias would taint the whole process, omg we might even end up with another John Kerr! I shudder at the thought. o_O:rolleyes:

On the subject of the Queen, I have been of the opinion for sometime now that she has done her stint, she has earned some time for herself. However, I do think that if she just stops, her days would definitely be numbered and the downward spiral would increase in speed. Although it won't happen I think that if the line of succession was to jump Charles and go straight to William people would be more likely to accept things.
On the subject of Australia becoming a Republic, I shudder at the thought. Who would we choose for President? I don't see any of our leaders as Statesmen, in fact I wouldn't give any of them house room and non of them inspire trust. :(

• Love
Reactions: Cheb and Vinylted

I don’t ever want to see Charles King, and Camilla as Royal Consort. I believe William and Kate would be a better choice.

I have admired our monarch from the day she become Queen until this day. My whole life has been in her service swearing my allegiance to her in each role I undertook. As those who have done the same would be aware when one swears allegiance to the monarch you are also including her heirs and successors. With that in mind it always annoys me when I hear comments about the horror etc Charles will be. He will be every bit the type of King custom warrants and has the right to be crowned as does his wife. I am hoping that I might one day see William crowned but doubt it very much unless I have the longevity of the Windors. Regarding the abdication (that is what retirement is called) I think she deserves to have her final years in as much peace and comfort as she can and if abdication is the answer then I am sure she would have the Commonwealths blessing.

• Love
Reactions: Vinylted and Ricci

Reactions: Ricci