Is Kmart letting you down? Find out the shocking reasons customers are losing trust in this major retailer

For years, Kmart has been a go-to destination for shoppers on a budget. With affordable prices and reliable quality, it's no surprise that many have turned to this retail giant when seeking a bargain.

However, Kmart's reputation for reliability is taking a hit as social media posts surface from frustrated customers.

One particular post on the Facebook group Markdown Addicts Australia highlights the issue of advertised Kmart items being unavailable at checkout, leaving customers disappointed and angry.

One frustrated shopper wrote: ‘Kmart used to be a markdown shopper’s dream, but it’s turned into the biggest joke ever.’

‘Clearance items are constantly advertised to entice me to place an online order, then once placed, it’s promptly refunded with all items still being available online. Just a really big waste of time for everyone involved!!’

sydney-new-south-wales-australia-260nw-1344105461.jpg copy.png
Many customers voiced their concerns over the unreliability of Kmart’s Click & Collect service on their discounted items. Credit: Shutterstock.

The post sparked a flurry of comments, with many sharing the same sentiments as the original poster.

One user wrote: ‘The new thing is I place an order, it says all in stock. But when the order is completed, it says sorry, these few items are not and refund me.’

‘Happened to me several times. So annoying!’ agreed another.

A third chimed in: ‘Their website is very difficult to use. You add to cart then when you go to checkout. Sorry, only 1 out of 7 products is available.’

Some claimed that they prefer shopping at Target because of the higher-quality products, while others point out Kmart’s dwindling quality and less-than-attractive prices on items.

One person claimed: ‘I reckon their clothing is quite bad now. They lose their shape and shrink after one wash.’

‘And their clothes aren't even that cheap anymore either. We went a couple of weeks ago and the jackets were $40’ another claimed.

Another seconded: ‘I agree, the price of the women’s clothing is ridiculous.’

One shopper had a clear opinion about Kmart's quality and pricing. They stated that they only purchased disposable clothes for school camps, bath bombs, plant pots, and stationery items from Kmart and that the quality of these products was non-existent.

The commenter added: ‘To me, a MARKDOWN is getting a good quality product at a great price. A substandard product at an OK price does not qualify.’

Meanwhile, others pointed out that shopping in-stores for markdowns is better than relying on the retailer’s Click & Collect scheme.

One user pointed out: ‘It's so much quicker to go in store, and look around for what you want.’

‘I experienced the same — you get to the checkout page and everything isn't available! I only look in-store now. I don't bother with online too hard,’ another shared.

One person also explained the process behind Kmart’s online service, writing: ‘Just remember it’s coming from a store and by the time it is picked, it’s already gone. The items are not from a warehouse.’

This is not the first time Kmart made a buzz over allegations of ‘duping’ customers. We previously covered a story about how a vigilant shopper spotted a pricing error in the retailer’s popular product.

Key Takeaways
  • Kmart's reputation for reliability is taking a hit as frustrated customers post on social media about their negative experiences.
  • Shoppers are complaining about issues with Kmart's website and advertised items being unavailable at checkout.
  • Some customers claim that Kmart's product quality has dwindled, and prices are not as attractive as before.
  • Despite these issues, some users still prefer shopping in-store for markdowns and find it more reliable than using the retailer's Click & Collect scheme.

Given these revelations, it's no surprise that Kmart's customer trust is declining. So what does this mean for us as customers? Well, it's all the more important to shop around and do your research before placing your orders. Here are a few things to keep in mind before shopping at Kmart.

1. Check the reviews first to understand the product quality and customer service.
2. Compare prices to ensure you're getting a good deal.
3. Consider shopping in-store instead of relying on the retailer’s Click & Collect service.

Members, have you had any bad experiences with Kmart recently? We’d love to hear about it! What tips do you have for our members when shopping at Kmart? Share your stories and advice in the comments below.

Sponsored
For years, Kmart has been a go-to destination for shoppers on a budget. With affordable prices and reliable quality, it's no surprise that many have turned to this retail giant when seeking a bargain.

However, Kmart's reputation for reliability is taking a hit as social media posts surface from frustrated customers.

One particular post on the Facebook group Markdown Addicts Australia highlights the issue of advertised Kmart items being unavailable at checkout, leaving customers disappointed and angry.

One frustrated shopper wrote: ‘Kmart used to be a markdown shopper’s dream, but it’s turned into the biggest joke ever.’

‘Clearance items are constantly advertised to entice me to place an online order, then once placed, it’s promptly refunded with all items still being available online. Just a really big waste of time for everyone involved!!’

View attachment 17048
Many customers voiced their concerns over the unreliability of Kmart’s Click & Collect service on their discounted items. Credit: Shutterstock.

The post sparked a flurry of comments, with many sharing the same sentiments as the original poster.

One user wrote: ‘The new thing is I place an order, it says all in stock. But when the order is completed, it says sorry, these few items are not and refund me.’

A third chimed in: ‘Their website is very difficult to use. You add to cart then when you go to checkout. Sorry, only 1 out of 7 products is available.’

Some claimed that they prefer shopping at Target because of the higher-quality products, while others point out Kmart’s dwindling quality and less-than-attractive prices on items.

One person claimed: ‘I reckon their clothing is quite bad now. They lose their shape and shrink after one wash.’

‘And their clothes aren't even that cheap anymore either. We went a couple of weeks ago and the jackets were $40’ another claimed.

One shopper had a clear opinion about Kmart's quality and pricing. They stated that they only purchased disposable clothes for school camps, bath bombs, plant pots, and stationery items from Kmart and that the quality of these products was non-existent.

The commenter added: ‘To me, a MARKDOWN is getting a good quality product at a great price. A substandard product at an OK price does not qualify.’

Meanwhile, others pointed out that shopping in-stores for markdowns is better than relying on the retailer’s Click & Collect scheme.

One user pointed out: ‘It's so much quicker to go in store, and look around for what you want.’

‘I experienced the same — you get to the checkout page and everything isn't available! I only look in-store now. I don't bother with online too hard,’ another shared.

One person also explained the process behind Kmart’s online service, writing: ‘Just remember it’s coming from a store and by the time it is picked, it’s already gone. The items are not from a warehouse.’

This is not the first time Kmart made a buzz over allegations of ‘duping’ customers. We previously covered a story about how a vigilant shopper spotted a pricing error in the retailer’s popular product.

Key Takeaways

• Kmart's reputation for reliability is taking a hit as frustrated customers post on social media about their negative experiences.
  • Shoppers are complaining about issues with Kmart's website and advertised items being unavailable at checkout.
  • Some customers claim that Kmart's product quality has dwindled, and prices are not as attractive as before.
  • Despite these issues, some users still prefer shopping in-store for markdowns and find it more reliable than using the retailer's Click & Collect scheme.

Given these revelations, it's no surprise that Kmart's customer trust is declining. So what does this mean for us as customers? Well, it's all the more important to shop around and do your research before placing your orders. Here are a few things to keep in mind before shopping at Kmart.

1. Check the reviews first to understand the product quality and customer service.
3. Consider shopping in-store instead of relying on the retailer’s Click & Collect service.

Members, have you had any bad experiences with Kmart recently? We’d love to hear about it! What tips do you have for our members when shopping at Kmart? Share your stories and advice in the comments below.

I lost faith in Kmart years ago, when their items were not good quality or smart, as compared to target. As a Kmart opened in Camberwell recently, in place of Target, I wandered in to have a look, have only bought 2 items, a frying pan and a summer dress, and I have been pleased with both, quality AND price were both good.

I just received an email from Kmart today telling me the item I ordered and paid for online last week is not available and they have refunded it. This happens frequently.
it certainly does. I have ordered various mens clothing and it lists in stock but same when you get to checkout - refunded - no stock.

I have struggled getting my head around a lot of things with KMart....I worked for the company for 14 years, and during the latter years, every decision that was made was a downhill one....returns way down the back! Sure....great idea...NOT....cash registers in the centre of the store....great for shop lifters. I remember years ago, when I was there on customer service, people were able to return basically everything....including dead plants, and have them replaced, no questions asked! Like...did you water it! I lost a lot of respect for KMart when it sold and changed hands. The good items that were stocked were good....now, very little is good, except for kids clothing when it's drastically reduced.

There is never staff around. I refuse to use self check out and they only ever have one staff member serving the customers, on a couple of occasions no one was on the checkout.
i hate going to Kmart and only go as a last resort.

I have the same issue, no Kmart in my town so I try to order online. It is so hard to even get on their website, navigate it and find what you want, go to checkout and find all the items you want out of stock. Surely they can tell you this before the checkout stage. I just can’t be bothered with them anymore, too much waste of my time for no result.

View attachment 17048

Key Takeaways

My gripe with Kmart is that they never have enough check out human beings there to process your purchases...why did they take the teenagers away from them? It gave them a good start in life by having an after school job. And gave them confidence! Such a huge mistake taking the check out people away ! People are not happy !

I went to KMart yesterday for the first time since Target closed & KMart took over. I won't be back in a hurry. That nonsense of having the checkout in the middle of the store with insufficient operators so there was a "mile long" queue then at the front of the store someone wanting me to queue again so she could see what I had bought. Sorry. I won't queue a second time. I refused to queue at front of store & she had to let me leave.

Reactions: Gsr

View attachment 17048

Key Takeaways

Buying on line can always be a problem the other about sizes,shrinking, outof shape have a good look at where the item's come from CHINA 🇨🇳 year's ago K Mart had a variety of products from different countries Australian made ,nowadays it mostly made in China 🇨🇳 and the quality these day's is 💩💩💩💩 feeding the Chinese economy our dollars 💸 if you want something to last (nore than a few days, months) buy Australian or from somewhere else for quality

Reactions: Gsr

View attachment 17048

Key Takeaways

I went online for a product -the site said the product was available at my nearest K-Mart. I went straight in - I couldn't find the item, so I asked a staff member, who searched the shelves I had searched and told me she couldn't find the item either. She had a look at the service desk that indicated they had 13 but not where they were! She told me I should order online as the item was probably still on the truck in transit!!! Not impressed. Last time I ordered online I had money returned as items were unavailable. I did point out that if their showing items available instore they should be instore for customers to buy when they arrive not 'on the truck somewhere'.

I went online for a product -the site said the product was available at my nearest K-Mart. I went straight in - I couldn't find the item, so I asked a staff member, who searched the shelves I had searched and told me she couldn't find the item either. She had a look at the service desk that indicated they had 13 but not where they were! She told me I should order online as the item was probably still on the truck in transit!!! Not impressed. Last time I ordered online I had money returned as items were unavailable. I did point out that if their showing items available instore they should be instore for customers to buy when they arrive not 'on the truck somewhere'.

Reactions: Granny*Deb and Gsr
I shop instore at KMart and have always been happy with my purchases.
However, I have tried shopping online and am frustrated every time as I find the items I wish to buy are out of stock - not just one item but several! I end up giving up in disgust and just don't bother buying online now. They really need to lift their game for online shoppers.

Reactions: Granny*Deb and Gsr
I just received an email from Kmart today telling me the item I ordered and paid for online last week is not available and they have refunded it. This happens frequently.

I gave up shopping KMart online for this same reason, and also their delivery fees are just ridiculous.
I have had orders where the freight cost is more than the products.
I have never dealt with any other company who charges as much as them for freight.

Reactions: Granny*Deb