Is it really goodbye? Better Homes and Gardens cast Ed Halmagyi exits after two decades!

After 20 years of delighting viewers with his culinary prowess on Better Homes and Gardens, Ed Halmagyi, affectionately known as 'Fast Ed', is bidding adieu to the popular lifestyle program.

The charismatic chef is hanging up his TV apron to embark on a new personal business venture.

Fast Ed's journey on Better Homes and Gardens has been nothing short of remarkable. From sharing quick and easy recipes to introducing viewers to the fascinating world of food, Ed has been an integral part of the show's success.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 084611.png
Ed Halmagyi announced his departure from the program Better Homes and Gardens. Credit: @solidteknics/Instagram

His final episode will air on Friday, December 1, on Channel 7 and 7plus, marking the end of an era.

Reflecting on his decision to leave, Ed stated, 'I got closer and closer to marking 20 years of Better Homes, and I thought about what I want to do in the next 10 years.'

He added, 'I’ve been incredibly lucky over [...] the last 20 years to be able to tell some really cool stories about some really amazing people.'

Ed's passion for food and storytelling has been evident throughout his tenure on the show. He has been a constant source of inspiration for viewers, sharing his love for food and the joy it brings.

He agreed that his role at the lifestyle program is ‘the best job in the world’.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 085220.png
Fast Ed was part of the lifestyle program for 20 years. Credit: @johgriggs7/Instagram

‘I’ve worked with the most incredible places, with the most incredible team. I’ve had the best time, and will be forever grateful to Joh, my fellow presenters, the Better Homes team behind the scenes and everyone who watches our show each and every night,’ Ed expressed.

Before his illustrious TV career, Ed ran a restaurant in Sydney, never imagining a future in media.

His big break came when Channel 7’s Sydney Weekender filmed at his restaurant. His vibrant personality and enthusiasm for food caught the attention of producers, leading to his role on Better Homes.

Fast Ed's departure from the program is not a goodbye to his culinary journey but rather a new beginning. He has been contemplating the idea of opening a Jewish bakery for more than ten years, and this year he will finally make it a reality.

He’ll open one in Sydney's Surry Hills in mid-December, combining his love for baking with his Jewish heritage. The bakery, named Avner’s after his Hebrew name, will offer a range of delicious treats, including bagels, bialys, babka, rugelach, and what Ed describes as 'the most killer potato bread you’ve ever tried.'

Ed's successor on Better Homes will not be announced until early 2024, leaving fans in suspense. However, he imparted this advice to his future successor: 'Be you and start out with the absolute most sincere respect for your audience.'

As we bid farewell to Fast Ed, we look forward to seeing his new venture flourish.

You can watch one of his recipe videos here:

Key Takeaways
  • Ed Halmagyi, known as 'Fast Ed', is leaving Better Homes and Gardens after 20 years.
  • He plans to focus on a personal business venture, a Jewish bakery in Sydney's Surry Hills
  • His last episode will air on Friday, December 1st, on Channel 7 and 7plus.
  • Fast Ed started his career as a pastry chef and said he has been considering opening a bakery for over a decade.

What are your favourite Fast Ed moments or recipes from Better Homes and Gardens? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
After 20 years of delighting viewers with his culinary prowess on Better Homes and Gardens, Ed Halmagyi, affectionately known as 'Fast Ed', is bidding adieu to the popular lifestyle program.

The charismatic chef is hanging up his TV apron to embark on a new personal business venture.

Fast Ed's journey on Better Homes and Gardens has been nothing short of remarkable. From sharing quick and easy recipes to introducing viewers to the fascinating world of food, Ed has been an integral part of the show's success.

View attachment 35296
Ed Halmagyi announced his departure from the program Better Homes and Gardens. Credit: @solidteknics/Instagram

His final episode will air on Friday, December 1, on Channel 7 and 7plus, marking the end of an era.

Reflecting on his decision to leave, Ed stated, 'I got closer and closer to marking 20 years of Better Homes, and I thought about what I want to do in the next 10 years.'

He added, 'I’ve been incredibly lucky over [...] the last 20 years to be able to tell some really cool stories about some really amazing people.'

Ed's passion for food and storytelling has been evident throughout his tenure on the show. He has been a constant source of inspiration for viewers, sharing his love for food and the joy it brings.

He agreed that his role at the lifestyle program is ‘the best job in the world’.

View attachment 35295
Fast Ed was part of the lifestyle program for 20 years. Credit: @johgriggs7/Instagram

‘I’ve worked with the most incredible places, with the most incredible team. I’ve had the best time, and will be forever grateful to Joh, my fellow presenters, the Better Homes team behind the scenes and everyone who watches our show each and every night,’ Ed expressed.

Before his illustrious TV career, Ed ran a restaurant in Sydney, never imagining a future in media.

His big break came when Channel 7’s Sydney Weekender filmed at his restaurant. His vibrant personality and enthusiasm for food caught the attention of producers, leading to his role on Better Homes.

Fast Ed's departure from the program is not a goodbye to his culinary journey but rather a new beginning. He has been contemplating the idea of opening a Jewish bakery for more than ten years, and this year he will finally make it a reality.

He’ll open one in Sydney's Surry Hills in mid-December, combining his love for baking with his Jewish heritage. The bakery, named Avner’s after his Hebrew name, will offer a range of delicious treats, including bagels, bialys, babka, rugelach, and what Ed describes as 'the most killer potato bread you’ve ever tried.'

Ed's successor on Better Homes will not be announced until early 2024, leaving fans in suspense. However, he imparted this advice to his future successor: 'Be you and start out with the absolute most sincere respect for your audience.'

As we bid farewell to Fast Ed, we look forward to seeing his new venture flourish.

Key Takeaways

• Ed Halmagyi, known as 'Fast Ed', is leaving Better Homes and Gardens after 20 years.
  • He plans to focus on a personal business venture, a Jewish bakery in Sydney's Surry Hills
  • Fast Ed started his career as a pastry chef and said he has been considering opening a bakery for over a decade.

What are your favourite Fast Ed moments or recipes from Better Homes and Gardens? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

One can only hope he is not replaced by that dumpy older lady who is always showing too much floppy cleavage, with a little necklace thing hanging in there.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I've cooked alot of Fast Eds recipes , they are so easy and so good. I can't say how many Saturdays I have cooked what I saw him cooking on Fridays night Better Home and Gardens.

I met him once when he was cooking at Roselands shopping centre . I told him how many of his recipes I've made for my fussy family of 15 ( 13 kids) and how I just made 4 x the recipe. He was amazed.
His new Cafe in Surry Hills Sydney I need to visit. His Bagels are apparently the best

I like him he is so down to earth and he’s much nicer than karen she never smiles.never made his recipes but they always looked yummy and easy though.😋😋
I make do many of his recipes , I don't think I've ever made any if Karen's. At least I have a stack of his saved

Also in person he is so friendly and when I was talking to him he wasn't rushing or trying to escape

Very affable Chappy with a nice aura😁I won’t be watching her I’m afraid.let me know if you have his bagels I love them.😋😋
He has a recipe around for bagels , I have never made it as he says it needs 2 days.

We are going to go in mayin 2 weeks. If they are that good wonder how long it would take if I posted a couple of plain ones to you

Reactions: Ezzy

View attachment 35296

View attachment 35295

Key Takeaways

I wish you well Ed. I hope there are not any cretins of a certain race to spoil things. I am a fan and will miss you. By the way to readers, big boobs being dumpy is something that a lot of females have to contend with. Does not make them a bad person. I love Israel and stay safe Fast Ed.

I hope your new adventure is a happy one you deserve to have a new adventure which will show all your talents in a different way.👍

View attachment 35296

View attachment 35295

Key Takeaways

The show almost won't be worth watching soon - the only two holding it together is Doc Harry & Fast Ed - so with Fast Ed going the show will be heading downhill fast!

I love Doc Harry - he's great on tv.
Fast Ed - although going arty farty with a lot of recipes lately he is 1000% better than any of the remaining ones left (not mentioned) and was really good, i liked almost everything he cooked since the start.
Plant guys - the older one can't pronounce some words with a posh spoon hanging (eg. he say brom-eel-e-ad when it is BROM-EL-AID) (I know because i grew up with parents that imported, grew, sold, collected and put them in plant shows along with orchids and as such i HATE THE 'WEEDS' them and most plants are cause our backyard as a kid was a jungle hiding bush houses and hothouses and the broms would scratch and draw blood if you got to close to them. There was no room for anything for us kids - the swing set had to go to make way for a above ground pool which took all of 2 seconds to go from one side to the other. The full size trampoline (with pads on the springs after i busted a couple front teeth once and another time got caught between the springs) was sandwhiched between a cement pathway leading to the hills hoist about 30 feet down the path and a fibro (the old stuff too) clad quarantine building - my parents were licensed to quarantine the imported plants for themseves, friends and customers - yes back then that was legal! The rest was the jungle of gardens of plants they kept for themselves and trees there was no room to do anything else!)

Back to BH$G - the younger one (charlie) is annoying with his accent.
The art & craft lady does the MOST STUPID stuff! If she isn't doing some pre-school art she's wrecking beautiful wood furniture by painting them and uses far too much green!
The fitness guy is creepy and self absorbed and arrogant.
The tech guy James talks like he's teaching a pre-school to year 3 class and gives very little actual info and more of a opinion of what he's showing.
Charlies wife is another who uses far too much green and does a CRAP job with the decorating and upcycling.
The property guy is just boring and on too much.
The guy that does the building is okay but needs to get away from the kids stuff more than he has lately.
And Karen - She cooks the most horrible stuff all the time - i think she's only cooked one decent thing ever on the show and for years i've muted her when she's on after hearing what she's going to cook.
Jo though is a great host and she should be taking over some of the others roles - she'd probably do it a lot better too!

Other than Ed, Harry, Jo and the building guy the rest of them are condescending and talk to everyone like they are stupid and they need to ditch a lot of these people and get back Jason Hodges as he was great and he was funny too and he did ordinary stuff that wasn't stupid, childish or wrecked anything!

And Fast Ed needs to stay.

Wish you all the very best in your new venture Ed. You have been a delight to watch.

I think you will leave a big pair of shoes for someone to fill. Not an easy task for the producers.