Is it appropriate for young children to see graphic anti-smoking posters? Woolworths customer’s complaint sparks online debate

A Woolworths customer has come under fire after she aired her concerns over her local store's placement of anti-smoking posters, which she claimed were not "child-appropriate".

Sharing her sentiments on Facebook, the Melbourne shopper raised concerns over the "graphic" advert found at the service desk of her local store, questioning whether the placement of the poster was ethical.

In her argument, the customer said that the supermarket counters are low, so displaying the anti-smoking poster — which featured a photo of a severed foot along with the warning "Smoking causes peripheral vascular disease” — there would mean that children could potentially see the adverts, insisting that the graphic posters may "scar" kids.

“It’s a great idea putting the anti-smoking ads at the child’s-eye view,” she wrote alongside a photo of the setup.

“A gangrenous foot, excellent, it may encourage them to seek out a career in medicine."

“Either that or scar them for life, one of the two.”

KcyAEv0QYmjf5SzCW5vksR16NU4HtrEvyeWhDqqHRX3yqcF53oNsU8MzNaXsWgf7fZaK5NltV9T5LfwrL7I_25iP-dZmMxpX4duZ9ZPDvDSLa3e2f7w49T8eUGikFTR49_4C8qoKxZ2wWwF-dQ

The poster featured a photo of a gangrenous foot, along with the words: "Smoking causes peripheral vascular disease”. Credit: Facebook.

Australia is known for its strict laws on tobacco advertising and display. In fact, many of the country's states and territories have their own restrictions and controls that go beyond what is prescribed in the Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act of 1992.

For example, in some states, a health warning must be placed near a tobacco price list.

It should also be noted that there are strict policies on the placement of these price lists depending on the state and territory.

Under Victorian legislation, anti-smoking advertisements featuring a black and white health warning must be displayed either at the entrance of the retail store or near the tobacco display.

Keeping this in mind, Facebook users quickly called her out, with one commenter saying that the supermarket was only following protocol on tobacco display and suggesting that it's not dangerous for children to learn about the possible health risks of smoking.

The user explained: “Literally not their problem. It’s the tobacco licensing laws that these signs be placed next to the price board."

“Maybe use it as a way to educate your children.”

Pq9P5_aW-Lc9SF_MDLT683LzFMQK4HeJRr5YG7xJ1yAx7VnRIANhchmIS-oIFpXucj6NO3wipiChPTeE13O6zy5wTS1WEE3caH2Pvu5MdsMK9TwPBYJxvgjHXr76JoY47dqAqituq9-n7gr2QQ

Retailers have to follow strict guidelines on tobacco advertising and selling. Credit: Kotak General.

The shopper, however, defended her stance, saying that it was "extreme" for children to see this kind of graphic image.

“If you are correct about the placement, then perhaps the gangrene pic can be put directly above the price list on the countertop,” she argued.

“That way the tobacco purchaser could see it and the child couldn’t."

“And if you think the photo of a gangrenous foot would be educational for children, then with respect, you must have rocks in your head.”

Another user insisted that retailers have to follow strict guidelines on the adverts, saying that it was not the management's fault that the poster was placed on the counter desk.

The user wrote: “Once again. It’s tobacco rules. They HAVE to be in line with the price board."

“If you have an issue with it, you would wanna take it up with tobacco licensing Australia.”

Woolworths has yet to comment on the issue.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's appropriate to place anti-smoking posters at the service desks or should the government review this policy? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy, Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
there are kids very young vaping so the sooner they see what happens then it may just save one child from becoming very ill later in life we cant rap kids in cotton wool al there lives

If that poster scares her child for the rest of his/her life, that’s a good thing. He/she won’t smoke! I wish the posters were there when my son was growing up. He would not have started smoking. Thankfully he gave it up after 10 years!

Reactions: Ezzy
I wonder why this woman was at the cigarette counter. Perhaps to buy them. The difficulty would be trying to explain to her daughter why she or a loved one continues to smoke if this is a possible outcome

That woman must have rocks in her head.If i had seen that poster as a child i dont think i would have taken up smoking at 15.All we had back then was smoking seen in a positive way ,like movie stars looking cool or adverts with a rugged good looking cowboy with a ciggie hanging from his mouth.you were classed as uncool at school if you didnt smoke.Cigarettes has had too many positives down the years, lts time to show kids what can really happen by taking up this drug,Scare them now to educate them

Reactions: Laurine and Ezzy
l like the ad currently showing on t.v. with the young girl in the passenger seat of the car being driven by her father. Opening the glove box, seeing the packet of cigarettes & reading the warning about smoking & cancer, she asks her father if he would be able to speak if he got cancer. The horrified look from the father as he answers, 'l don't know' says a lot. The child has taken more notice of the warning & the possibilities than he has.

l know, l know, this is only make believe, but could this scenario not be happening somewhere meaning this type of advertising could be having a positive influence & not a negative one on our young people?

Reactions: Lizzy
I wonder why this woman was at the cigarette counter. Perhaps to buy them. The difficulty would be trying to explain to her daughter why she or a loved one continues to smoke if this is a possible outcome
Re-reading the story myself, it was stated that the woman was at the SERVICE DESK, not the desk where cigarettes are sold & it did not state she was buying cigarettes. As we know though, this is where cigarettes are dispensed from.

A Woolworths customer has come under fire after she aired her concerns over her local store's placement of anti-smoking posters, which she claimed were not "child-appropriate".

Sharing her sentiments on Facebook, the Melbourne shopper raised concerns over the "graphic" advert found at the service desk of her local store, questioning whether the placement of the poster was ethical.

In her argument, the customer said that the supermarket counters are low, so displaying the anti-smoking poster — which featured a photo of a severed foot along with the warning "Smoking causes peripheral vascular disease” — there would mean that children could potentially see the adverts, insisting that the graphic posters may "scar" kids.

“It’s a great idea putting the anti-smoking ads at the child’s-eye view,” she wrote alongside a photo of the setup.

“A gangrenous foot, excellent, it may encourage them to seek out a career in medicine."

“Either that or scar them for life, one of the two.”

KcyAEv0QYmjf5SzCW5vksR16NU4HtrEvyeWhDqqHRX3yqcF53oNsU8MzNaXsWgf7fZaK5NltV9T5LfwrL7I_25iP-dZmMxpX4duZ9ZPDvDSLa3e2f7w49T8eUGikFTR49_4C8qoKxZ2wWwF-dQ

The poster featured a photo of a gangrenous foot, along with the words: "Smoking causes peripheral vascular disease”. Credit: Facebook.

Australia is known for its strict laws on tobacco advertising and display. In fact, many of the country's states and territories have their own restrictions and controls that go beyond what is prescribed in the Tobacco Advertising Prohibition Act of 1992.

For example, in some states, a health warning must be placed near a tobacco price list.

It should also be noted that there are strict policies on the placement of these price lists depending on the state and territory.

Under Victorian legislation, anti-smoking advertisements featuring a black and white health warning must be displayed either at the entrance of the retail store or near the tobacco display.

Keeping this in mind, Facebook users quickly called her out, with one commenter saying that the supermarket was only following protocol on tobacco display and suggesting that it's not dangerous for children to learn about the possible health risks of smoking.

The user explained: “Literally not their problem. It’s the tobacco licensing laws that these signs be placed next to the price board."

“Maybe use it as a way to educate your children.”

Pq9P5_aW-Lc9SF_MDLT683LzFMQK4HeJRr5YG7xJ1yAx7VnRIANhchmIS-oIFpXucj6NO3wipiChPTeE13O6zy5wTS1WEE3caH2Pvu5MdsMK9TwPBYJxvgjHXr76JoY47dqAqituq9-n7gr2QQ

Retailers have to follow strict guidelines on tobacco advertising and selling. Credit: Kotak General.

The shopper, however, defended her stance, saying that it was "extreme" for children to see this kind of graphic image.

“If you are correct about the placement, then perhaps the gangrene pic can be put directly above the price list on the countertop,” she argued.

“That way the tobacco purchaser could see it and the child couldn’t."

“And if you think the photo of a gangrenous foot would be educational for children, then with respect, you must have rocks in your head.”

Another user insisted that retailers have to follow strict guidelines on the adverts, saying that it was not the management's fault that the poster was placed on the counter desk.

The user wrote: “Once again. It’s tobacco rules. They HAVE to be in line with the price board."

“If you have an issue with it, you would wanna take it up with tobacco licensing Australia.”

Woolworths has yet to comment on the issue.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's appropriate to place anti-smoking posters at the service desks or should the government review this policy? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
If she is such a caring mother maybe she should take a moment to tell the child what it is all about while standing at the counter. The child may then decide to never smoke, not such a bad idea. It is going to be seen no matter where the sign is placed, just take a step back and you see higher, it is in magazines that kids might see. On TV etc,. Better to see the picture and understand what it means than go through the reality.,

I started smoking when i was 12yo. I wish then that there was adverts as we have today. Adverts were blazoned across bill boards, tv and everywhere else you looked. I gave up smoking in 2011, i am now 70yo and i do get out of breath after doing little things like mowing the lawn etc.
My point is there should be more advertising across all media including tv and during kids programs too. My mother passed away with throat cancer through smoking. Also my wife has enphezema through smoking but she also gave up in 2010

Last edited: