Is Coles replacing staff with self-service checkouts?

Self-service checkouts have become extremely common in supermarkets all over Australia, with many shoppers occasionally using them to check out.

These machines can save some time, but they also raise questions for lots of people. Does Coles really need a self-service checkout if they have staff? Where do the staff go if fewer manned checkouts are needed? And how can modern technology improve without replacing people?

Coles’ Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer Matt Swindells observed that he gets challenged on the topic of jobs quite often.

In response to these worries, Mr Swindells pointed out that Coles has more team members than ever before, not only because of the introduction of self-checkouts in the last 20 years but also because of the more recent surge in online grocery shopping.

photo (2).jpg
Coles has more team members than ever before due to the surge in online grocery shopping. Image source: Coles Supermarket.

While self-checkouts could mean fewer people are needed in the stores, those jobs are being offset by the additional roles Coles introduced in the digital field, like personal shoppers and online delivery drivers.

‘In the last five years with the growth of online, we've then accelerated not only picking your shopping but then delivering it to your home for a very small fee,’ Mr Swindells said.

‘We've never had more team members in our stores, and we've never had more vacancies.’

‘So when I get bailed up at the checkouts as I normally do and someone will say “I don't like this because jobs are going”, I say “Well if you know people who need a job, send them my way”.’

‘Because what you can't see is all the people working online in other parts of the business that's changed over the years. It's more of a rebalance of people rather than the loss of jobs.’

However, Mr Swindells wasn't just speaking in defence of Coles’ workforce. He also revealed that the business is tackling ‘a real problem’ as total loss–which includes theft, waste and markdowns–is increasing by 20 per cent each year.

'It’s everything from organised crime that's increased to people stealing things and putting them on marketplaces online to... what we call opportunistic or petty thefts,' Mr Swindells added.

'We're seeing it in every store, in every category, it's not even pinpointed to certain locations.'

'It's really disappointing that when our team members work so hard to put down a great shop for their community, they get some people coming in and doing the wrong thing.'

'It is a small minority; the vast majority of customers do the right thing, but this small minority is costing our ability to invest back in value, and it's causing a real problem.'

Coles has also noted that as a result of the increase in organised crimes, there has also been an increase in team members facing threatening situations.

This is an issue that Coles has marked as a priority, and they have made a commitment to ‘take immediate actions’ to address it. Here’s an article on some of the security measures they’ve adapted to cope with the ‘real problem’ they are facing.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles supermarket has refuted claims that its self-service checkouts are resulting in job losses, stating that they have more team members now than ever before.
  • Coles' Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer, Matt Swindells, pointed out that the growth of online shopping has led to the creation of additional roles in the company.
  • Total loss, including theft, waste and markdowns, has increased by 20 per cent every year, prompting the company to take immediate actions to address it as a 'priority' issue.
  • Coles has also noticed a rise in team members facing threatening situations due to the increase in organised crime.
What are your thoughts on this story? Have you witnessed these problems in your local Coles? Share your experience with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I dont use self checkouts by choice. The problem I find with Coles and Woolies is lack of staff. There is ever only one or two registers open and always have a long line. Sometimes the express lanes have 2 staff when not needed. Not really helpful service. As for home delivery. I live in a rural area some kilometers from supermarkets. Where home delivery is great I find that about 30% of the items I buy are out of stock. Unless I state they will send a substitute that is nothing like the original order. So this is pointless. Frustrated Supermarket shopper.

I dont use self checkouts by choice. The problem I find with Coles and Woolies is lack of staff. There is ever only one or two registers open and always have a long line. Sometimes the express lanes have 2 staff when not needed. Not really helpful service. As for home delivery. I live in a rural area some kilometers from supermarkets. Where home delivery is great I find that about 30% of the items I buy are out of stock. Unless I state they will send a substitute that is nothing like the original order. So this is pointless. Frustrated Supermarket shopper.
100% agree. And I rarely find anyone to ask help from. Can go down every aisle and might find one person. Where are all these staff hiding then.

I
Totally agree and this is the same at my local Coles - 2 checkouts open with people waiting to be served. I was lectured by the woman on the checkout when I went through with one item. She told me that the checkout was for people with trolleys so I offered to go get one. She continued her lecture when she was scanning the item and told me that there were people to help on the self serve. I told her that I would continue to use checkouts.

I

Totally agree and this is the same at my local Coles - 2 checkouts open with people waiting to be served. I was lectured by the woman on the checkout when I went through with one item. She told me that the checkout was for people with trolleys so I offered to go get one. She continued her lecture when she was scanning the item and told me that there were people to help on the self serve. I told her that I would continue to use checkouts.
'Lectured'? More likely she was informing you of something that blind Freddie would has seen, 1 item, WTF lineup for 1 item.

I

The Cheek of this checkout person is what we have come to expect no respect for customers.

Self-service checkouts have become extremely common in supermarkets all over Australia, with many shoppers occasionally using them to check out.

These machines can save some time, but they also raise questions for lots of people. Does Coles really need a self-service checkout if they have staff? Where do the staff go if fewer manned checkouts are needed? And how can modern technology improve without replacing people?

Coles’ Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer Matt Swindells observed that he gets challenged on the topic of jobs quite often.

In response to these worries, Mr Swindells pointed out that Coles has more team members than ever before, not only because of the introduction of self-checkouts in the last 20 years but also because of the more recent surge in online grocery shopping.

View attachment 28194
Coles has more team members than ever before due to the surge in online grocery shopping. Image source: Coles Supermarket.

While self-checkouts could mean fewer people are needed in the stores, those jobs are being offset by the additional roles Coles introduced in the digital field, like personal shoppers and online delivery drivers.

‘In the last five years with the growth of online, we've then accelerated not only picking your shopping but then delivering it to your home for a very small fee,’ Mr Swindells said.

‘We've never had more team members in our stores, and we've never had more vacancies.’

‘So when I get bailed up at the checkouts as I normally do and someone will say “I don't like this because jobs are going”, I say “Well if you know people who need a job, send them my way”.’

‘Because what you can't see is all the people working online in other parts of the business that's changed over the years. It's more of a rebalance of people rather than the loss of jobs.’

However, Mr Swindells wasn't just speaking in defence of Coles’ workforce. He also revealed that the business is tackling ‘a real problem’ as total loss–which includes theft, waste and markdowns–is increasing by 20 per cent each year.

'It’s everything from organised crime that's increased to people stealing things and putting them on marketplaces online to... what we call opportunistic or petty thefts,' Mr Swindells added.

'We're seeing it in every store, in every category, it's not even pinpointed to certain locations.'

'It's really disappointing that when our team members work so hard to put down a great shop for their community, they get some people coming in and doing the wrong thing.'

'It is a small minority; the vast majority of customers do the right thing, but this small minority is costing our ability to invest back in value, and it's causing a real problem.'

Coles has also noted that as a result of the increase in organised crimes, there has also been an increase in team members facing threatening situations.

This is an issue that Coles has marked as a priority, and they have made a commitment to ‘take immediate actions’ to address it. Here’s an article on some of the security measures they’ve adapted to cope with the ‘real problem’ they are facing.

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has refuted claims that its self-service checkouts are resulting in job losses, stating that they have more team members now than ever before.
  • Coles' Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer, Matt Swindells, pointed out that the growth of online shopping has led to the creation of additional roles in the company.
  • Total loss, including theft, waste and markdowns, has increased by 20 per cent every year, prompting the company to take immediate actions to address it as a 'priority' issue.
  • Coles has also noticed a rise in team members facing threatening situations due to the increase in organised crime.
What are your thoughts on this story? Have you witnessed these problems in your local Coles? Share your experience with us in the comments below.

The checkout member told us only this week that Coles have a staff shortage and said that this is why only one large self service lane was open and two large staffed lanes were in use. We are thinking of either doing more shopping at Drakes or Woolworths. 50% of the items we were after this week were not on the shelves. Either they are actually short staffed or the manager is not doing his job.

Reactions: Marj53

View attachment 28194

Key Takeaways

Too easy for thieves to walk into a store and walk out with stolen items.
Time to make it harder for them....more security guards etc.
Self serve makes it easy for people to steal as well.
We all pay for it in the end....when prices go up because of these thieves!

I don't believe Coles - purely trying to appease the masses.
The same thing happened, when there was push by the banks to use automated services - branches closed down, people lost jobs, despite the banks trying to say otherwise.

Reactions: Marj53 and Leenie
'Lectured'? More likely she was informing you of something that blind Freddie would has seen, 1 item, WTF lineup for 1 item.
I would go through the manned checkout too. I want to make sure that we have people in the supermarkets for years to come. If for any reason I have to use the self service checkout I get the person there to help me. Not because I can't do it but every time I have ever used a self service checkout there is always an issue. I had 2 people help me recently because my money got stuck in the machine so I was there for more time than it should have taken. I had 2 items and it took me nearly 15 minutes to finish my transaction.

I will ALWAYS line up at a staffed checkout, regardless if I have one item or a hundred. I will not check out my own groceries. I use the express checkout if I only have a few items. And I will not be lectured to by a checkout operator. So much for customer service.

I will ALWAYS line up at a staffed checkout, regardless if I have one item or a hundred. I will not check out my own groceries. I use the express checkout if I only have a few items. And I will not be lectured to by a checkout operator. So much for customer service.
If we wanted to work as checkout chicks we would get a job at Coles. The companies make huge profits because they expect us to do their work for them.

More team members my Aunt Fanny.

The corporation may have greater numbers on the books NOW but time will show if the greater numbers of team members employed is an ongoing phenomenon.

Doubtful.

Look at other corporates who've gone gangbusters in to IT including but not limited to banks, insurance companies, law firms.

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi
I refuse to use self checkouts. Why should I, what happened to customer service?

That is what common sense tells us, however, common sense is rare these days.

View attachment 28194

Key Takeaways

without reading i say NO. Has anyone ever been to these checkouts and not witnessed some one having difficulty? Just follow me.