Is Coles replacing staff with self-service checkouts?

Self-service checkouts have become extremely common in supermarkets all over Australia, with many shoppers occasionally using them to check out.

These machines can save some time, but they also raise questions for lots of people. Does Coles really need a self-service checkout if they have staff? Where do the staff go if fewer manned checkouts are needed? And how can modern technology improve without replacing people?

Coles’ Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer Matt Swindells observed that he gets challenged on the topic of jobs quite often.

In response to these worries, Mr Swindells pointed out that Coles has more team members than ever before, not only because of the introduction of self-checkouts in the last 20 years but also because of the more recent surge in online grocery shopping.

photo (2).jpg
Coles has more team members than ever before due to the surge in online grocery shopping. Image source: Coles Supermarket.

While self-checkouts could mean fewer people are needed in the stores, those jobs are being offset by the additional roles Coles introduced in the digital field, like personal shoppers and online delivery drivers.

‘In the last five years with the growth of online, we've then accelerated not only picking your shopping but then delivering it to your home for a very small fee,’ Mr Swindells said.

‘We've never had more team members in our stores, and we've never had more vacancies.’

‘So when I get bailed up at the checkouts as I normally do and someone will say “I don't like this because jobs are going”, I say “Well if you know people who need a job, send them my way”.’

‘Because what you can't see is all the people working online in other parts of the business that's changed over the years. It's more of a rebalance of people rather than the loss of jobs.’

However, Mr Swindells wasn't just speaking in defence of Coles’ workforce. He also revealed that the business is tackling ‘a real problem’ as total loss–which includes theft, waste and markdowns–is increasing by 20 per cent each year.

'It’s everything from organised crime that's increased to people stealing things and putting them on marketplaces online to... what we call opportunistic or petty thefts,' Mr Swindells added.

'We're seeing it in every store, in every category, it's not even pinpointed to certain locations.'

'It's really disappointing that when our team members work so hard to put down a great shop for their community, they get some people coming in and doing the wrong thing.'

'It is a small minority; the vast majority of customers do the right thing, but this small minority is costing our ability to invest back in value, and it's causing a real problem.'

Coles has also noted that as a result of the increase in organised crimes, there has also been an increase in team members facing threatening situations.

This is an issue that Coles has marked as a priority, and they have made a commitment to ‘take immediate actions’ to address it. Here’s an article on some of the security measures they’ve adapted to cope with the ‘real problem’ they are facing.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles supermarket has refuted claims that its self-service checkouts are resulting in job losses, stating that they have more team members now than ever before.
  • Coles' Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer, Matt Swindells, pointed out that the growth of online shopping has led to the creation of additional roles in the company.
  • Total loss, including theft, waste and markdowns, has increased by 20 per cent every year, prompting the company to take immediate actions to address it as a 'priority' issue.
  • Coles has also noticed a rise in team members facing threatening situations due to the increase in organised crime.
What are your thoughts on this story? Have you witnessed these problems in your local Coles? Share your experience with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
The Cheek of this checkout person is what we have come to expect no respect for customers.
If you want to wait in line with only 1 or 2 items, then do so. I use self service where possible and even when I have a large amount of goods. Perhaps the check out chick could have worded it better to enhance the customers experience.

Reactions: Libnotes and Trudi
Self-service checkouts have become extremely common in supermarkets all over Australia, with many shoppers occasionally using them to check out.

These machines can save some time, but they also raise questions for lots of people. Does Coles really need a self-service checkout if they have staff? Where do the staff go if fewer manned checkouts are needed? And how can modern technology improve without replacing people?

Coles’ Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer Matt Swindells observed that he gets challenged on the topic of jobs quite often.

In response to these worries, Mr Swindells pointed out that Coles has more team members than ever before, not only because of the introduction of self-checkouts in the last 20 years but also because of the more recent surge in online grocery shopping.

View attachment 28194
Coles has more team members than ever before due to the surge in online grocery shopping. Image source: Coles Supermarket.

While self-checkouts could mean fewer people are needed in the stores, those jobs are being offset by the additional roles Coles introduced in the digital field, like personal shoppers and online delivery drivers.

‘In the last five years with the growth of online, we've then accelerated not only picking your shopping but then delivering it to your home for a very small fee,’ Mr Swindells said.

‘We've never had more team members in our stores, and we've never had more vacancies.’

‘So when I get bailed up at the checkouts as I normally do and someone will say “I don't like this because jobs are going”, I say “Well if you know people who need a job, send them my way”.’

‘Because what you can't see is all the people working online in other parts of the business that's changed over the years. It's more of a rebalance of people rather than the loss of jobs.’

However, Mr Swindells wasn't just speaking in defence of Coles’ workforce. He also revealed that the business is tackling ‘a real problem’ as total loss–which includes theft, waste and markdowns–is increasing by 20 per cent each year.

'It’s everything from organised crime that's increased to people stealing things and putting them on marketplaces online to... what we call opportunistic or petty thefts,' Mr Swindells added.

'We're seeing it in every store, in every category, it's not even pinpointed to certain locations.'

'It's really disappointing that when our team members work so hard to put down a great shop for their community, they get some people coming in and doing the wrong thing.'

'It is a small minority; the vast majority of customers do the right thing, but this small minority is costing our ability to invest back in value, and it's causing a real problem.'

Coles has also noted that as a result of the increase in organised crimes, there has also been an increase in team members facing threatening situations.

This is an issue that Coles has marked as a priority, and they have made a commitment to ‘take immediate actions’ to address it. Here’s an article on some of the security measures they’ve adapted to cope with the ‘real problem’ they are facing.

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has refuted claims that its self-service checkouts are resulting in job losses, stating that they have more team members now than ever before.
  • Coles' Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer, Matt Swindells, pointed out that the growth of online shopping has led to the creation of additional roles in the company.
  • Total loss, including theft, waste and markdowns, has increased by 20 per cent every year, prompting the company to take immediate actions to address it as a 'priority' issue.
  • Coles has also noticed a rise in team members facing threatening situations due to the increase in organised crime.
What are your thoughts on this story? Have you witnessed these problems in your local Coles? Share your experience with us in the comments below.
I hate self serve every time I use them I have to have someone come and help, something always goes wrong and then they get pissed off (you can see it) cause they end up ringing my order up, and I didn’t want to come through here in the first place but I had no choice as no registers where open. Coles and Woolworths need to have at least 2/3 registers open at all times for the seniors, it’s not rocket science

I dont use self checkouts by choice. The problem I find with Coles and Woolies is lack of staff. There is ever only one or two registers open and always have a long line. Sometimes the express lanes have 2 staff when not needed. Not really helpful service. As for home delivery. I live in a rural area some kilometers from supermarkets. Where home delivery is great I find that about 30% of the items I buy are out of stock. Unless I state they will send a substitute that is nothing like the original order. So this is pointless. Frustrated Supermarket shopper.
Steer clear of both Coles & Woollies... although Aldi is climbing on the bandwagon....

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi

View attachment 28194

Key Takeaways

If they had more staff on the floor , people would be less inclined to shoplift . Not just uniformed staff , but mystery shoppers as well . This would also protect staff from assault as there is protection in numbers . I know I get frustrated as hell trying to find things at times , so I just don't buy it. I get no benefit from serving myself , and if a mistake is made , I risk being charged .

I

Totally agree and this is the same at my local Coles - 2 checkouts open with people waiting to be served. I was lectured by the woman on the checkout when I went through with one item. She told me that the checkout was for people with trolleys so I offered to go get one. She continued her lecture when she was scanning the item and told me that there were people to help on the self serve. I told her that I would continue to use checkouts.
WOW how rude was that checkout person. Like you I won't use selfserve unless I'm forced to. Our local Cokes actually removed a some staffed checkouts to increase the number of selfserves. You can guarantee that when I have to use them something goes wrong and I have to get a staff member to help. So frustrating!!! Kmart is worse. Recently I went to Kmart, proceeded to the checkouts with my trolley load of goods, only to be made to serve myself. Not only that but I was directed to what is normally a staff manned register. I had to use their hand scanner and then pack it all back into my trolley, I am not quick, so there was quite a queue of people waiting. All the selfserves were busy but there were 2 staff standing there directing us to use the normal staff registers, why couldn't one of them actually serve us? Not happy. If Coles & Woolworths take away staff manned checkout then I will not be going into the store, I'll order online or go to another supermarket.

Reactions: Thecheesequeen
The checkout member told us only this week that Coles have a staff shortage and said that this is why only one large self service lane was open and two large staffed lanes were in use. We are thinking of either doing more shopping at Drakes or Woolworths. 50% of the items we were after this week were not on the shelves. Either they are actually short staffed or the manager is not doing his job.
Coles has staff shortages? I'm laughing so hard I peed myself.

Ever had a look at the Coles website for careers? At this moment, there is ONE vacancy within 20 kms of where I live and that's at Liquorland Ringwood. There are 10 outlets, including Coles supermarkets, Liquorland and Coles Express within 4 kms from me with NO vacancies.

Matt Swindells by name....Matt Swindells by nature.

I love self serve checkouts. They work well for me. I can always find a staff member if need them. They are always cheerful and helpful. It is also very quick. I see several young staff members in Coles doing home shopping lists My local Coles is great. No complaints 😊

Reactions: Libnotes

View attachment 28194

Key Takeaways

It's costing job's and why would you want to use them do they give you a discount 🤔 NO do you work for Coles/Woolworths, NO so why take someone's job or do it for nothing and have a good look at their yearly profits they can employ more the thieving bastards 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Love
Reactions: Leenie
I

Totally agree and this is the same at my local Coles - 2 checkouts open with people waiting to be served. I was lectured by the woman on the checkout when I went through with one item. She told me that the checkout was for people with trolleys so I offered to go get one. She continued her lecture when she was scanning the item and told me that there were people to help on the self serve. I told her that I would continue to use checkouts.
Probably staff under pressure but no excuse to lecture, and I have found a few to be quite rude. The staff at my nearest Woolies are extremely rude. Manager included. I now go elsewhere. I bet the one that lectured you was probably a lot younger than you too. I find it patronizing when a teenager calls me "love or darl or sweetheart or hon" especially when I am old enough to be their grandmother. No respect at all.

Last edited:

View attachment 28194

Key Takeaways

of course they are taking jobs - one person looks after 9 checkouts where i am (2 if it is busier) they are saving atleast 8 wages just there - damn robots DO take jobs no matter what they say

I will NOT use self serve, its going to replace the happy checkout chicks, that means more people will end up on the dole and looking for another job, if we have to serve ourselves then they should pay us for doing their jobs. So much for technology some of its good and a lot is not.

Reactions: Leenie and relljube
I

Good on you - how dare she tell you how you should shop? I would send in a complaint to her manager about her attitude.
Funnily enough, went through Coles checkout on Wednesday and my shop was a full trolley load. Unfortunately, the bloke behind me got there just after the checkout operator commenced scanning my lot - this poor shopper had 1 pack of drinks but obviously refused to use the self checkout and was content to wait until mine was completed. So much for customers preferring to use the monstrosities.

I don't believe Coles - purely trying to appease the masses.
The same thing happened, when there was push by the banks to use automated services - branches closed down, people lost jobs, despite the banks trying to say otherwise.
Why don't SDC forward all these comments to Coles Woolworths and Aldi as a FYI experience. Forget about hiring an expensive consulting firm to conduct surveys - they have their survey right here.

Reactions: Leenie