Irene Cara, singer of 'Fame' and 'Flashdance', passes away at age 63

We here at the SDC are saddened to report the passing of Oscar-winning actress and singer Irene Cara, best known for her iconic hits ‘What A Feeling’ and ‘Flashdance’.

The 63-year-old singer, who rose to prominence in the 1980s by playing one of the main leads in the film Fame, passed away at her home in Florida. Her cause of death is unknown at the time of reporting.

Fame told the story of students at the High School of Performing Arts in New York, taking them from their first auditions to their senior year. Irene Cara appeared as the main character, Coco Hernandez.

In the film, Irene was shown singing the titular song as she waltzed through the streets of New York and sat atop of an iconic NYC yellow taxi.

shutterstock_2020648916-min (1).jpg
An original vinyl record of the kids from Fame. Credit: Shutterstock

Irene was originally cast as a dancer, but when the producers heard her sing, they wrote the role of Coco Hernandez for her to play. This eventually catapulted her to stardom.

Years later, Irene co-wrote the song ‘Flashdance...What a Feeling’ for Flashdance, which went on to win an Oscar for Best Original Song, and two Grammy Awards for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance and Original Score for a Motion Picture.

Both songs were top 10 hits in both the UK and US.

Irene was also nominated for an Oscar for best actress for Fame, and won awards from the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People (NAACP), including for her part in the 1982 film Sister Sister.

She was such a powerful force in the entertainment industry that many are mourning the loss of this talented star. Judith Moose, Irene’s publicist, released a statement on Irene’s official Twitter account on Saturday morning.

shutterstock_2229651297-min (1).jpg
The soundtrack for the motion picture Flashdance on vinyl. Credit: Shutterstock

‘This is the absolute worst part of being a publicist. I can’t believe I’ve had to write this, let alone release the news,’ Judith wrote.

She continued: ‘Please share your thoughts and memories of Irene. I’ll be reading each and every one of them and know she’ll be smiling from Heaven. She adored her fans.’

Judith attached a photo of the statement

FieFisbUUAAqHnh (1).jpg
Many are saddened by the news of Irene’s passing. Credit: Irene_Cara/Twitter

Fellow music legend Lenny Kravitz also expressed his grief on social media: ‘You inspired me more than you could ever know. Your song writing and vocals created pure energy that will never cease.’

He added that Irene defined an era that is ‘very close’ to his heart, and attached a photo of her in his post.

Irene’s publicist added that the cause of death will be released once it’s been confirmed. Her family has asked for privacy during this time, and memorial services will be planned at a later date.

‘She became an icon for music lovers of the 1980s, and inspired many of today’s most influential singers,’ Judith added.
Key Takeaways

• Irene Cara, best known for her roles in Fame and Flashdance, has died aged 63.
  • Irene won an Oscar for best original song and two Grammy awards for her work on Flashdance.
  • Her cause of death is currently unknown, and will be released when it has been confirmed.
We’d like to thank SDC member @Suzanne rose for sharing the news first on our forum. We send our condolences to Irene’s family during this time and are terribly sorry for their loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Incredible Singer an amazing dancer and on top a great actor.

Who didn't dance or at least sing along to her two enormous hits Fame and Flash dance What A Feeling .

She played roles in many movies but the two that stand out to me is Coco in Fame and she played the lead role in Sparkle great movie to see if you haven't watched it

Gone to Young 🖤

We here at the SDC are saddened to report the passing of Oscar-winning actress and singer Irene Cara, best known for her iconic hits ‘What A Feeling’ and ‘Flashdance’.

The 63-year-old singer, who rose to prominence in the 1980s by playing one of the main leads in the film Fame, passed away at her home in Florida. Her cause of death is unknown at the time of reporting.

Fame told the story of students at the High School of Performing Arts in New York, taking them from their first auditions to their senior year. Irene Cara appeared as the main character, Coco Hernandez.

In the film, Irene was shown singing the titular song as she waltzed through the streets of New York and sat atop of an iconic NYC yellow taxi.

View attachment 9595

Irene was originally cast as a dancer, but when the producers heard her sing, they wrote the role of Coco Hernandez for her to play. This eventually catapulted her to stardom.

Years later, Irene co-wrote the song ‘Flashdance...What a Feeling’ for Flashdance, which went on to win an Oscar for Best Original Song, and two Grammy Awards for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance and Original Score for a Motion Picture.

Irene was also nominated for an Oscar for best actress for Fame, and won awards from the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People (NAACP), including for her part in the 1982 film Sister Sister.

She was such a powerful force in the entertainment industry that many are mourning the loss of this talented star. Judith Moose, Irene’s publicist, released a statement on Irene’s official Twitter account on Saturday morning.

View attachment 9596

‘This is the absolute worst part of being a publicist. I can’t believe I’ve had to write this, let alone release the news,’ Judith wrote.

She continued: ‘Please share your thoughts and memories of Irene. I’ll be reading each and every one of them and know she’ll be smiling from Heaven. She adored her fans.’

View attachment 9594

Fellow music legend Lenny Kravitz also expressed his grief on social media: ‘You inspired me more than you could ever know. Your song writing and vocals created pure energy that will never cease.’

He added that Irene defined an era that is ‘very close’ to his heart, and attached a photo of her in his post.

Irene’s publicist added that the cause of death will be released once it’s been confirmed. Her family has asked for privacy during this time, and memorial services will be planned at a later date.

‘She became an icon for music lovers of the 1980s, and inspired many of today’s most influential singers,’ Judith added.
Key Takeaways

• Irene Cara, best known for her roles in Fame and Flashdance, has died aged 63.
  • Irene won an Oscar for best original song and two Grammy awards for her work on Flashdance.
  • Her cause of death is currently unknown, and will be released when it has been confirmed.
We’d like to thank SDC member @Suzanne rose for sharing the news first on our forum. We send our condolences to Irene’s family during this time and are terribly sorry for their loss.
Absolutely a fan, love that music, I did disco's for a long time and used to play that song a lot!!.

View attachment 9595

View attachment 9596

View attachment 9594

Key Takeaways

How can you forget the music "Fame" one of those iconic tunes that everyone gets in on the chorus.

Gee, loved her in Fame. It brings back good memories of a younger me. It sure makes you think when your contempories start dying. Gone far too young. :(

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Regarding the Death of Irene Cara, to say that I was shocked, would have to be one of the understatements of the Milennium. To see her on screen, and hear that Magically Powerful Voice was a revelation to say the least, I don’t know whether she auditionEd for/ was interested in the starring role in Flashdance, that was taken by Jennifer Beals.
Not to say that Jennifer wasn’t good in the role, she was, it’s my opinion that Irene would have added that indefinable element that would have raised the film to one stratospheric proportions

Reactions: Ricci
Irene Carra was a very talented person and we all will miss her. She was an excellent singer and I, for one, enjoyed her music.

View attachment 9595

View attachment 9596

View attachment 9594

Key Takeaways

And the Jab claims another one, the count is rising and most still have the wool pulled down over their eyes, so sad Rip Irene

How do you know she even had it?
when you remove the wool you will find that as an entertainer to travel in the USA it would have been a requirement, just like all the sportsmen as well with so many of them dropping like flies, Even Shane Warn had the jab..... Hello....

when you remove the wool you will find that as an entertainer to travel in the USA it would have been a requirement, just like all the sportsmen as well with so many of them dropping like flies, Even Shane Warn had the jab..... Hello....
I think that maybe you should make an appointment to see somebody.
You seem to know more about things than all the experts from around the world who are all working hard to find a solution to this pandemic, or are they all working to pull the wool over our eyes? Are you honestly trying to tell us that the whole pandemic thing is something dreamed up by governments around the world just to f**k up everyone's lives? Hell, they can't even agree on world peace. Or maybe it's all arranged by big pharma just to make some money, tell that to the families mourning the loss of a family member and see how far you get. I think you are in a minority of one for thinking like this but hey, you go carry on with all those thoughts and theories but please do not try and foist them onto us. Your thoughts and theories are not those of the majority, if you choose to think that we are all dumb for following the rules sobeit, I just hope you don't get sick.

I think that maybe you should make an appointment to see somebody.
You seem to know more about things than all the experts from around the world who are all working hard to find a solution to this pandemic, or are they all working to pull the wool over our eyes? Are you honestly trying to tell us that the whole pandemic thing is something dreamed up by governments around the world just to f**k up everyone's lives? Hell, they can't even agree on world peace. Or maybe it's all arranged by big pharma just to make some money, tell that to the families mourning the loss of a family member and see how far you get. I think you are in a minority of one for thinking like this but hey, you go carry on with all those thoughts and theories but please do not try and foist them onto us. Your thoughts and theories are not those of the majority, if you choose to think that we are all dumb for following the rules sobeit, I just hope you don't get sick.
I wont get sick especially not from the PLANDEMIC.... and it is you who needs to see someone as you have been completely brainwashed so much so that the wool has been glued to your eyes which is such a pity.... as for the people who have lost loved ones I feel for them as eventually I will be feeling the loses as well the world governments are part and parcel of this whole scam where the leaders and a few cohorts if not all exempted themselves from the jab... It is part of the agenda 2030 of the WEF and the Eugenicists who want to cull the human population by at least 80 to 90 % but you go ahead and believe what ever you want and I will happily do the same...

I wont get sick especially not from the PLANDEMIC.... and it is you who needs to see someone as you have been completely brainwashed so much so that the wool has been glued to your eyes which is such a pity.... as for the people who have lost loved ones I feel for them as eventually I will be feeling the loses as well the world governments are part and parcel of this whole scam where the leaders and a few cohorts if not all exempted themselves from the jab... It is part of the agenda 2030 of the WEF and the Eugenicists who want to cull the human population by at least 80 to 90 % but you go ahead and believe what ever you want and I will happily do the same...
If I was you I'd start to wear the tin foil hat to stop the government and their agencies messing with your head. You alone can see through their conspiracies and need to be saved for posterity. How does it feel to be the lone voice of reason? I feel for you, it must be a lonely space you inhabit.

If I was you I'd start to wear the tin foil hat to stop the government and their agencies messing with your head. You alone can see through their conspiracies and need to be saved for posterity. How does it feel to be the lone voice of reason? I feel for you, it must be a lonely space you inhabit.
you really are in a bad way and I feel for you, working for the bullshit artist must get really boring.... But as I said you go ahead and believe what you want But I will not be dragged down into the swamp beside you and others of your sad type.

• Sad