Irate woman slams 'ridiculous' fine for street parking – was she wrong?

After parking her vehicle on a residential street in Sydney, a woman was taken aback to discover that she had been issued a $275 fine on the grounds that her vehicle had blocked a driveway.

Last week, when Elly Belfort arrived at her home in Summer Hill, which is located in the inner west of the city, she was surprised to see that her suburban street was jam-packed with vehicles.

She was able to park her Mini Cooper in a very tight place behind another vehicle because she was under the impression that there was sufficient room between the back of her vehicle and the driveway behind her.

The next morning, a hefty fine was waiting for her on her windshield.

"I assumed the neighbours probably called the council because I find it really hard to believe that a ranger would fine a car parked like that," said the resident. "I've parked my car like that many other times in many other places and never had an issue."

RA5C-ylwDT-Dbxpfeb_5d8xIQk8g7pGtNxEGpuioKl6sdMES3h09EVQYsh8YS58_Tf8Wte43Gu4PILDeD2PHTrhp-c1HxbqBm_fdrptsvYfKQ9Pv-4CBaomh42QDDVHf7pxvtKaIuIE3RtQBRA

A Summer Hill woman was stunned to get a fine for blocking a driveway. Credit: Facebook.

Ms Belfort explained that she has a chronic knee condition that makes it difficult for her to walk long distances. As a result, she was desperately looking for a location that was close to her house.

She also recalled that she had an altercation with her neighbours approximately two weeks ago, during which they complained about her parking in close proximity to their driveway.

"They had no manners. They said they're going to call the council," she said.

The fact that nothing came of it, however, leads Ms Belfort to believe that they did not go through with it. At least not until she drove back there and parked her car again.

She shared the image of her parked car on Facebook along with a statement in which she expressed her confusion regarding the penalty.

There were dozens of comments made on the post, the vast majority of which were in support of Ms Belfort and many of them encouraged her to contest the fine.

"It's close, but I can't see that you're obstructing the driveway at all. There is plenty of room to drive in and out,' one user wrote in the comments.

A second fellow driver agreed, saying: "My general rule is to ensure my car doesn't pass where the curb begins to dip for the driveway."

Ms Belfort stated that she would be appealing the decision, despite the fact that she did not have high hopes that it would be reversed.

hmgvdbX1olDF-sqoEnAS44igiTzg1WkpPThKzc0FeYaJKZ35qF-on5G6JsO2LEY1Mc-lQCSh1x-_-wn-QEeul0xGNeDn0hY7N5-dYAMXpGJbhhrK2fAN79ygN1_75WD5kqH6whubfayZ3CS77w

Ms Belfort considers the fine to be unjust and intends to appeal it. Credit: Facebook.

However, a spokesperson for the Inner West Council stated that the Summer Hill resident was in the wrong and verified that the council had received her appeal.

"Road rules note that no part of the vehicle should be on or across the driveway (including the layback)," the council stated.

"However, in this case, Council has reviewed the situation and will change the original fine to a caution."

What are your thoughts, folks? Was Ms Belfort really in the wrong here, or was she inappropriately reprimanded?

Sponsored

After parking her vehicle on a residential street in Sydney, a woman was taken aback to discover that she had been issued a $275 fine on the grounds that her vehicle had blocked a driveway.

Last week, when Elly Belfort arrived at her home in Summer Hill, which is located in the inner west of the city, she was surprised to see that her suburban street was jam-packed with vehicles.

She was able to park her Mini Cooper in a very tight place behind another vehicle because she was under the impression that there was sufficient room between the back of her vehicle and the driveway behind her.

"I assumed the neighbours probably called the council because I find it really hard to believe that a ranger would fine a car parked like that," said the resident. "I've parked my car like that many other times in many other places and never had an issue."

RA5C-ylwDT-Dbxpfeb_5d8xIQk8g7pGtNxEGpuioKl6sdMES3h09EVQYsh8YS58_Tf8Wte43Gu4PILDeD2PHTrhp-c1HxbqBm_fdrptsvYfKQ9Pv-4CBaomh42QDDVHf7pxvtKaIuIE3RtQBRA

A Summer Hill woman was stunned to get a fine for blocking a driveway. Credit: Facebook.

Ms Belfort explained that she has a chronic knee condition that makes it difficult for her to walk long distances. As a result, she was desperately looking for a location that was close to her house.

She also recalled that she had an altercation with her neighbours approximately two weeks ago, during which they complained about her parking in close proximity to their driveway.

The fact that nothing came of it, however, leads Ms Belfort to believe that they did not go through with it. At least not until she drove back there and parked her car again.

She shared the image of her parked car on Facebook along with a statement in which she expressed her confusion regarding the penalty.

There were dozens of comments made on the post, the vast majority of which were in support of Ms Belfort and many of them encouraged her to contest the fine.

"It's close, but I can't see that you're obstructing the driveway at all. There is plenty of room to drive in and out,' one user wrote in the comments.

A second fellow driver agreed, saying: "My general rule is to ensure my car doesn't pass where the curb begins to dip for the driveway."

Ms Belfort stated that she would be appealing the decision, despite the fact that she did not have high hopes that it would be reversed.

hmgvdbX1olDF-sqoEnAS44igiTzg1WkpPThKzc0FeYaJKZ35qF-on5G6JsO2LEY1Mc-lQCSh1x-_-wn-QEeul0xGNeDn0hY7N5-dYAMXpGJbhhrK2fAN79ygN1_75WD5kqH6whubfayZ3CS77w

Ms Belfort considers the fine to be unjust and intends to appeal it. Credit: Facebook.

However, a spokesperson for the Inner West Council stated that the Summer Hill resident was in the wrong and verified that the council had received her appeal.

"Road rules note that no part of the vehicle should be on or across the driveway (including the layback)," the council stated.

"However, in this case, Council has reviewed the situation and will change the original fine to a caution."

What are your thoughts, folks? Was Ms Belfort really in the wrong here, or was she inappropriately reprimanded?
Wrong

Reactions: Ricci

Many years ago, I was nursing in the hospital of a town in the Hunter Valley. The deputy matron came into the ward I was working in and told me that I’d just had a parking ticket put on my windscreen. Apparently, I’d parked in a no parking zone. I rushed out of the ward, taking the ward tape measure with me because I was pretty sure only a fraction of my car was in the zone. The back of my car was indeed into the no parking. All 14 inches of it! This was prior to the introduction of metrics.

Now that incident wouldn’t be worth writing about, except for the fact that the ticket was issued by a police officer on his way out of the hospital after visiting his sick little daughter in Children’s Ward. The matron was incensed and called the local police station. She informed the sergeant there that the car ‘belongs to one of my nurses’. She told him that if the ticket wasn’t ripped up, the local police could forget about the hospital doing them favours. The ticket was ripped up. This was in pre computer days.

i WISH COUNCILS WERE AS

I can't see where she was in the wrong..neighbours had plenty of room to come and go

Reactions: Grannie
I wish councils were as pedantic for all parking vioations how often do you find parked vehicles not within the lines, or parked on nature strips between roads. Then you see them fining you for parking at 8:30 am on a Saturday and the driver having to look for change to pay the meter, not 5 cents pieces. You appeal and are told paid parking is for the convience and safety of motorists. Yet the footpath is cloged with an outdoor cafe seats and dog.

Reactions: KatKop

We have had people park like this with our driveway, it is very frustrating when it happens. As we live on a busy road we always back the car in the drive as it makes it easier to see when leaving the drive. When someone is parked close like that it is difficult to enter and leave the drive without swinging out wide to avoid their car. I agree she shouldn't have parked that close, but to arrange council to fine her is over the top. I went next door to the owner of the vehicle and asked nicely if they could move their car as it was at risk of being hit as we come and go into our drive. Very rarely do they park that close now.

Reactions: Maaaaaa

I live in a narrow street (also in the Inner West) and if someone parks so that their vehicle extends beyond the point where the driveway meets the footpath line it's difficult or even impossible for me to get my car in and out of the driveway. The fine was issued in accordance with the road rules. In this case the driver displayed contempt for the rules even after the home owner pointed out her error. I am surprised the Council was willing to relent. She should count herself lucky and stop parking illegally.

Reactions: robbie's

in a another life, when I went for my license, you had to park 3feet from the gutter crossing but I dont think it is enforced today.

Reactions: robbie's and JayKay
The rear of her car was behind the pole so, yes, she was in the wrong to park there. She could have easily moved forward a foot or so to be clear of the pole. As the Council changed the fine to a caution let's hope the lady learns by this and takes more care when parking.

Reactions: Elbe and JayKay

Reactions: Ezzy
Had room person driving would have hit pole before the car....if you look !!! ONLY caution required not a fine !!

Reactions: Ezzy