Investigation launches after police use taser and pepper spray on elderly man

Content Warning: This article mentions violence, injuries and allegations of police brutality, which may be distressing for some readers. Discretion is advised.

Over the past couple of years, incidents of alleged police brutality have sparked global anger and heated debate, particularly when unarmed people and the elderly have been affected.

One case of this is when care home resident Clare Nowland was tasered in New South Wales back in May this year after she allegedly approached the officers while holding her knife and failing to drop it. Sadly, she died from her injuries.

A follow-up story on this incident was an accusation against the NSW police force of a cover-up in their handling of the situation. Read more about the story here.

While no one should ever be subjected to such a heartless and severe experience, unfortunately, we need to share the story of one elderly man who was allegedly was tasered and pepper sprayed by two police officers at a residential facility last month.

On 26 October, in Adelaide’s south, an elderly man was allegedly tasered and pepper sprayed by two police officers in a care home after an altercation between them, resulting in minor injuries.

‘The man, aged in his 60s, was restrained by police and sustained minor injuries during the arrest,’ the police said.

After a complaint was made to the Office for Public Integrity and South Australia Police, bodycam footage of the incident was viewed, and investigators began criminal and disciplinary investigations.

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 8.35.24 AM.png
Two police officers allegedly tapered and pepper-sprayed an elderly man in a care home. Credit: Unsplash

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens declared a commissioner’s inquiry into the incident.

‘As this incident is the subject of a complaint, the Police Complaints and Discipline Act would ordinarily prohibit the disclosure or publication of information in connection with it,’ the police said.

‘However, the commissioner has determined to authorise both the disclosure and publication of the above information in relation to this complaint, as it is in the public interest to do so,’ they added.

‘No further information in relation to this incident is to be disclosed or published, pursuant to the Police Complaints and Discipline Act.’

After reviewing the footage, the two officers have been removed from duty.

Deputy Commissioner Linda Williams said that the inquiry will be led by a senior police officer and that the Office for Public Integrity will oversee the situation.

‘They have complete oversight,’ Williams said.

She also said that the police responded ‘swiftly’ when they became aware of the incident on Sunday.

‘I think you can read from the response that there is a level of concern that justified a commissioner’s inquiry,’ she added.

However, there will be no disclosure as to whether the man was a resident or an employee of the facility and what events have transpired before the deployment of force.

Williams said that the inquiry might take longer than needed to develop a full picture of what happened. But she was confident about how police officers deployed force in South Australia.

She said, ‘We have a very rigorous training process, and we have a rigorous oversight process in relation to the use of all forms of use of force in the South Australian police.’

‘I’m confident that in the majority of cases, police officers exercise those authorities appropriately.’

It was alleged that the investigation only began when a public complaint was filed, as the incident was not reported up the chain of command. Williams said that this would be investigated as well.

Key Takeaways
  • A criminal investigation has been initiated over the conduct of two police officers who allegedly tasered and pepper-sprayed an elderly man in a care home.
  • The incident occurred in Adelaide’s south and provoked concerns after bodycam footage was reviewed, leading to both disciplinary and criminal investigations.
  • The two officers involved have been stood down from their duties as a commissioner's inquiry is conducted into the incident, overseen by the independent Office for Public Integrity.
  • This incident was allegedly not reported up the chain of command and only came to light due to a public complaint, which will also form part of the investigation.

Members, always stay safe!

What are your thoughts about this incident in Adelaide? Have you or anyone you know witnessed incidents like this? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
“Apparently”, nobody knows for sure just yet what exactly happened or what condition the man has. It would be best for all concerned if people didn’t speculate. It would be distressing enough for those involved.
He had Huntingtons not MND.

How do you know he was a vulnerable when it stated that they were not releasing if he was a resident or employee?
I would guess a man in his 60s being tasered by two fit young men would be considered "vulnerable" by most people.
These two policemen were stood down after video footage was viewed.
Disciplinary and criminal investigations are being held.
The chain of command did no investigations of their own.
Speaks for itself don't you think?

Sorry - hit like when I mean to hit reply. This speaks to Natural Justice. Our Media loves sensationalism. We certainly do not know the fact and trial by media is unacceptable.
Good News doesn’t sell. Incomplete news that arouses the community, well that sells

Just in the last couple of days, at a Gold Coast hospital, a dementia patient walked into another hospital room, assaulted and caused death to another patient while he slept. That isn't fair either. Regarding this particular incident - I do not make assumptions or pass judgement as the facts are not known at this stage.
I think you have passed judgement by saying it isn’t fair

I think you have passed judgement by saying it isn’t fair
I'm not sure what you mean - could you put that in context please? Who or what am I passing judgement on? Not saying you are wrong and I am sorry if I offended you, and you can call me stupid, I just don't understand?

People shouldn’t make rash judgements without all the facts. Media outlets don’t always print the facts,sensationalism sells.

Content Warning: This article mentions violence, injuries and allegations of police brutality, which may be distressing for some readers. Discretion is advised.

Over the past couple of years, incidents of alleged police brutality have sparked global anger and heated debate, particularly when unarmed people and the elderly have been affected.

One case of this is when care home resident Clare Nowland was tasered in New South Wales back in May this year after she allegedly approached the officers while holding her knife and failing to drop it. Sadly, she died from her injuries.

A follow-up story on this incident was an accusation against the NSW police force of a cover-up in their handling of the situation. Read more about the story here.

While no one should ever be subjected to such a heartless and severe experience, unfortunately, we need to share the story of one elderly man who was allegedly was tasered and pepper sprayed by two police officers at a residential facility last month.

On 26 October, in Adelaide’s south, an elderly man was allegedly tasered and pepper sprayed by two police officers in a care home after an altercation between them, resulting in minor injuries.

‘The man, aged in his 60s, was restrained by police and sustained minor injuries during the arrest,’ the police said.

After a complaint was made to the Office for Public Integrity and South Australia Police, bodycam footage of the incident was viewed, and investigators began criminal and disciplinary investigations.

View attachment 34143
Two police officers allegedly tapered and pepper-sprayed an elderly man in a care home. Credit: Unsplash

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens declared a commissioner’s inquiry into the incident.

‘As this incident is the subject of a complaint, the Police Complaints and Discipline Act would ordinarily prohibit the disclosure or publication of information in connection with it,’ the police said.

‘However, the commissioner has determined to authorise both the disclosure and publication of the above information in relation to this complaint, as it is in the public interest to do so,’ they added.

‘No further information in relation to this incident is to be disclosed or published, pursuant to the Police Complaints and Discipline Act.’

Deputy Commissioner Linda Williams said that the inquiry will be led by a senior police officer and that the Office for Public Integrity will oversee the situation.

She also said that the police responded ‘swiftly’ when they became aware of the incident on Sunday.

‘I think you can read from the response that there is a level of concern that justified a commissioner’s inquiry,’ she added.

However, there will be no disclosure as to whether the man was a resident or an employee of the facility and what events have transpired before the deployment of force.

Williams said that the inquiry might take longer than needed to develop a full picture of what happened. But she was confident about how police officers deployed force in South Australia.

She said, ‘We have a very rigorous training process, and we have a rigorous oversight process in relation to the use of all forms of use of force in the South Australian police.’

‘I’m confident that in the majority of cases, police officers exercise those authorities appropriately.’

It was alleged that the investigation only began when a public complaint was filed, as the incident was not reported up the chain of command. Williams said that this would be investigated as well.

Key Takeaways

• A criminal investigation has been initiated over the conduct of two police officers who allegedly tasered and pepper-sprayed an elderly man in a care home.
  • The incident occurred in Adelaide’s south and provoked concerns after bodycam footage was reviewed, leading to both disciplinary and criminal investigations.
  • The two officers involved have been stood down from their duties as a commissioner's inquiry is conducted into the incident, overseen by the independent Office for Public Integrity.
  • This incident was allegedly not reported up the chain of command and only came to light due to a public complaint, which will also form part of the investigation.

What are your thoughts about this incident in Adelaide? Have you or anyone you know witnessed incidents like this? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

What is going on with the Australian police force?
Yet another situation where a vulnerable person is subjected to violence by the police.
There is something far wrong when two fit men can't handle a man in his 60s without resorting to the use of a taser.
It seems the training is sadly lacking, and possibly the calibre of the recruits leaves a lot to be desired.
They are supposed to be the public's protectors, not their assailants!
I agree this is two elderly people now. The police training needs to be stepped up. What if he died too. He could have had a heart condition. An independent enquiry should be done. Leave tasers out of it.

I try to be objective and search for realistic solutions as opposed to blame, but smarter people than me have not come up with realistic solutions to protect everything. Even in dementia wards with security, no-one can prevent them doing harm to each other - unfortunately, it is the nature of the various brain conditions - unpredictable. I certainly do not believe solutions are as easy as A, B or C. This comes from my lived experience with a parent who suffered the condition. I took him home into my care and did the best I could. I also have a son I care for who has a chronic brain disorder. Please don’t think I am making judgements of blame or uncaring - my heart breaks every day because of these situations, whether it affects the older or the younger generations. It really is NOT THAT EASY! Duty of care for all is quite a lot to carry.

Stupid sentence..'might take longer than needed'. Are they pre-empting that it will take so long that we'll all forget about ?

View attachment 34143

Key Takeaways

Personally I think they should and independent person as well.

We do not know the full story here & judging by Police comments, may never know. There are things we do know however.

Why was this not reported up the ladder to the "Brass", is this another Police cover up? Regardless of what happened the incident was obviously not treated in accordance with Police regulations as indicated by the Deputy Commissioner Linda Williams.

Talking to the offender should always be the first thing to be tried to defuse any situation, otherwise a Police Baton in the case of the elderly lady & this gent would have been sufficient to defuse either situation. Using a Taser without knowing if the offender has a heart condition is dangerous & pepper spray is a bit drastic too.

[I suppose before using a Taser a police person could ask the offender if they have a heart condition:- "Before l use this Taser on you do you have a pacemaker or other heart condition?"] 😵‍💫

View attachment 34143

Key Takeaways

Adelaide Cops are the worst in Australia! I've lived in all the states, but Adelaide police are the most arrogant known for going overboard,and lying to cover each other's back...Fancy tapering AND pepper spraying someone in an aged care facility....They're a disgrace to the uniform!...I understand that Adelaide is a HUGE crime town, known for its top shelf criminal activity, but SHEESH!

Cops need to held responsible for murder. Regardless of the situation cops should not use these tazers on elderly people. I have cops break into my home while I'm sleeping and after an altercation they sprayed me with pepper spray through the window they smashed. I have had police harassment ever since.
I no longer have any respect for pigs in uniform.

I think more police training in handling elderly people wouldn’t go astray. Perhaps when they get called to an aged care home they should leave their tasers in the car, it would prevent them from being used on older people who may have health conditions that mean they don’t actually know what they are doing. I realise some people can become unmanageable when angry but I’m sure between the staff and a couple of policeman the situation should be able to be managed without resorting to using a taser.

They should leave not only their tasers in their car, but also their guns, batons, and other lethal weapons.
They should also abandon their "shoot first, ask questions after" mentality, especially when dealing with seemingly agitated elderly folks.