SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Introducing the Craft Corner!

Did you notice this shiny new forum?

That's right, Craft Corner is officially here! This is the place for all things hobbies and crafts.

Kicking us off is the wonderful member Selyna B, who recently took on the challenge of learning to crochet in 30 days. This story is now available to all members of the SDC to read for free.

Do you have any patterns to share? Need help with a tricky stitch or a recommendation for a how-to video? Maybe you have photos of your creations that you'd like to share! We would love to see and hear it ALL.

You can share your own post on the Craft Corner here.

Attachments

• shutterstock_1685965654 (1).jpg
    shutterstock_1685965654 (1).jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 0
Hi, I mainly do crochet, but also enjoy doing needle arts like counted cross stitch, tapestries and candlewicking. I attend a craft group twice a week which is what keeps me relatively sane. Without those groups, I would be pretty socially isolated as I'm not very mobile. I make all sorts of things both for the house (doilies, tablecloths, blankets etc) to wearables (shawls, gloves, hats, clothes). I'm currently making very colourful market bags and hand towels as I have orders for Christmas presents for friends and acquaintances. I wonder if there is some way of uploading my photo? because when I try, I get the message that the file is too large, and yet I notice that others are able to upload theirs. What's the secret??

Last edited:
Great to hear, what other are up to. I crochet and I belong to a craft group. I reconnected with this craft after 30 years of hiatus, due to family commitments and work .We regularly make items for the needy, blankets, beanies, scarves, fingerless gloves, for the homeless, those in hospitals and aged care, premmie babies, new mums. I am currently making water bottle holders for Christmas presents - googled the pattern - many available

Attachments

• Mesh water bottle holders.JPG
    Mesh water bottle holders.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 0
I have been knitting and crotchet for years making blankets. Learning Tunisian stitches is another on my bucket list. Been knitting squares with scraps of wools x 2 to make it thicker. Then learn how to piece them all together to make a couple small blankets for pets who are with their homeless parent. Us crafters know the health benefits with anxiety and depression in learning and making things. I read not so long ago that veterans are being encouraged to learn knitting., to help them with their PTSD. Forgive me I cannot remember where I read that but I found that part interesting, knowingly how much it helps me.
Thank you for thinking up the Craft Corner. Looking forward to more reading of our talented seniors out there.
Take care.

In answer to leodalion yes my husband learned to knit while in the navy and he then went on to crochet which I must say surprised me,but I cannot but I knit so he has no competition from me.
I am so glad to hear that about how your husband. So glad to hear you knit yourself. I can't follow patterns as I have always had short term memory loss. Sorry to say I may remember things in 6 months time patterns are not one of them. Thank you so much for verifying about that, I really do appreciate it.
Take care.

Hi my name is Tina and I live in Lowood Old. I currently run a craft group every Wednesday and we have so many different crafts available to learn from Crocheting, Knitting, Embroidery, Velum Work, Cross-Stitch (done by a gentleman), Card Making, Diamond Art, Adult Colouring In, so besides doing many of these crafts I am also decorating Christmas Cakes for our Lions group to sell. I am also in the process of learning to play the piano. So I DO love my crafts glad to see this page a great idea. Thank You.

I knit all the time. Dog coats and blankets for the Animal Shelters. I also knit baby items for friends grand children. I used to knit about a hundred jumpers for the children overseas in poor countries and take them down to the local Salvation Army. When they had enough they'd send them in a big box and ship them over to where they were needed. Since the floods last year I haven't been able to find the store. I tried to crochet once and ended up with a blister on my finger.
I think it's a great idea having this new site and look forward to seeing all the beautiful items people make.