Internet divided after shopper's bizarre produce aisle act

We’re all looking for ways to save a bit of money on our grocery bills these days, and shoppers everywhere are always coming up with creative ways to do that.

One woman went viral on TikTok for a peculiar method she adopted when buying broccoli to reduce the cost of her grocery bill.

A lot of us are reasonably thrifty. Sure, we may splurge on luxury items now and then, but when it comes to groceries, strict budgeting is key to getting more value out of our trolleys.

For some resourceful shoppers, it means going the extra mile to save a few extra cents – even if this could be seen as controversial. This was recently highlighted by Meia Carter, a 41-year-old woman, who shared a video of her thrifty grocery habit.

In a now-viral clip, Meia can be seen snapping off the stalks of her broccoli (while inside the store) and tossing it back into the pile, to reduce the cost of the produce once weighed at the checkout counter.

broccoli.jpg
Do you do this too? Credit: Polina Tankilevitch/Pexels

‘I’m not paying for these [stems] so I just pull them off and throw them away,’ she said. The footage shows Meia holding a plastic bag filled with only broccoli florets because she doesn’t want to pay extra for the stalks, and vegetables are charged by weight.

While this method of cutting costs is nothing new, the video sparked a debate on whether the breaking of the stalks is ‘ethical’. Some even believe the act can be considered as ‘theft’.

‘I’m only going to pay for what I am going to eat,’ Meia shared.

In another video, Meia said she simply cuts the stalks off with a pocket knife she carries on her. ‘I just leave the stalks in the store, I don’t need [them]. Y’all can have it,’ she said.

Her clip has garnered more than 6.4 million times – with many divided over her simple money-saving method.

broccoli2.jpg
Vegetables are priced according to their weight. Credit: mimicarter81/TikTok

‘I feel this!’ Commented one.

While another said that their grocery sells by the bunch, not per kilo. To which Meia replied: ‘Ours does both. When it’s by the kilo I rip off what I’m not eating.’

Others said they loved the stalks more than the florets, and even gave cooking tips.

‘Hey funny thing, the stalk is actually healthier than the top. I peel it and cook it with the rest, it’s kind of like an artichoke with butter,’ wrote one.

‘The stems are fantastic sautéed in sesame oil,’ said another.

While some were not impressed by her behaviour.

‘Do you peel the bananas too?’ Asked one.

Another shared that what Meia did was ‘theft by deception’.

Key Takeaways

• Meia Carter’s broccoli ‘hack’ gained online attention after sharing it on TikTok.
  • Her money-strategy method involved snapping off the stems of her broccoli in stores in an effort to reduce her grocery bill.
  • It sparked a huge debate as some applauded her method while some deemed it as ‘theft’.
What’s your stance on this, members? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
We’re all looking for ways to save a bit of money on our grocery bills these days, and shoppers everywhere are always coming up with creative ways to do that.

One woman went viral on TikTok for a peculiar method she adopted when buying broccoli to reduce the cost of her grocery bill.

A lot of us are reasonably thrifty. Sure, we may splurge on luxury items now and then, but when it comes to groceries, strict budgeting is key to getting more value out of our trolleys.

For some resourceful shoppers, it means going the extra mile to save a few extra cents – even if this could be seen as controversial. This was recently highlighted by Meia Carter, a 41-year-old woman, who shared a video of her thrifty grocery habit.

In a now-viral clip, Meia can be seen snapping off the stalks of her broccoli (while inside the store) and tossing it back into the pile, to reduce the cost of the produce once weighed at the checkout counter.

View attachment 10796

‘I’m not paying for these [stems] so I just pull them off and throw them away,’ she said. The footage shows Meia holding a plastic bag filled with only broccoli florets because she doesn’t want to pay extra for the stalks, and vegetables are charged by weight.

While this method of cutting costs is nothing new, the video sparked a debate on whether the breaking of the stalks is ‘ethical’. Some even believe the act can be considered as ‘theft’.

In another video, Meia said she simply cuts the stalks off with a pocket knife she carries on her. ‘I just leave the stalks in the store, I don’t need [them]. Y’all can have it,’ she said.

Her clip has garnered more than 6.4 million times – with many divided over her simple money-saving method.

View attachment 10797

While another said that their grocery sells by the bunch, not per kilo. To which Meia replied: ‘Ours does both. When it’s by the kilo I rip off what I’m not eating.’

Others said they loved the stalks more than the florets, and even gave cooking tips.

‘Hey funny thing, the stalk is actually healthier than the top. I peel it and cook it with the rest, it’s kind of like an artichoke with butter,’ wrote one.

Key Takeaways

• Meia Carter’s broccoli ‘hack’ gained online attention after sharing it on TikTok.
  • Her money-strategy method involved snapping off the stems of her broccoli in stores in an effort to reduce her grocery bill.
  • It sparked a huge debate as some applauded her method while some deemed it as ‘theft’.
do you also peel your potatoes , or pumpkin . maybe depit your cherries and i,m sure orange and manderine skins would weigh a bit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

Stalks are so tasty baked, our family prefers stems than the tops 😀

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

Some shops I have seen have a sign up saying if the stems are broken of $1.00 extra will be added to the item.

Reactions: Ricci and Penny4

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

The first thing I thought of was, if she is cutting the stalks off, that means she is handling the broccoli - does she pick one up, look at it and then toss it back into the mix - if it was small or daggy :( Hygiene = COVID, flue etc. Plus I think it is a bloody cheek....

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

As someone pointed out.... Do you peel your bananas before buying but it would stop there. What about watermelons, pineapples, pumpkins, oranges, avocados . When you look at everything else that she obviously doesn't discard she is definately wrong. And it's people like her that make the cost of broccoli increase in price

I once saw a man taking the stalks out of the mushrooms he was going to buy. He told me he throws the stalks away so why should he pay for them . Personally I eat the stems from broccoli & stalks from mushrooms

Reactions: debjane and Ricci
It’s definitely theft. When I worked in a store someone was doing this regularly and my boss put a sign up with a significantly higher price for broccoli without the stalks. Funnily the practice soon stopped

I think it's theft. Nothing wrong with the stalks. I thought it was illegal to carry pocket knives or am I wrong 🤔
You can carry a pocket knife with a blade no more than 3 inches long as long as you use it for work purposes, all 3 of my sons carry a pocket knife for work, youngest works for Telstra and needs it for work all the time as do the other 2. If you do not need it for work best not to carry one, police frown upon it.

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

It’s wrong it’s theft I hope her store is watching her next time she shops

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

I am pretty sure what she is doing is theft.

She carries a knife? What else has she been cutting with it. Just ask the staff to do it instead of being sneaky. What other weird things does she do in the store that probably ups the cost for the rest of the customers.