Internet divided after shopper's bizarre produce aisle act

We’re all looking for ways to save a bit of money on our grocery bills these days, and shoppers everywhere are always coming up with creative ways to do that.

One woman went viral on TikTok for a peculiar method she adopted when buying broccoli to reduce the cost of her grocery bill.

A lot of us are reasonably thrifty. Sure, we may splurge on luxury items now and then, but when it comes to groceries, strict budgeting is key to getting more value out of our trolleys.

For some resourceful shoppers, it means going the extra mile to save a few extra cents – even if this could be seen as controversial. This was recently highlighted by Meia Carter, a 41-year-old woman, who shared a video of her thrifty grocery habit.

In a now-viral clip, Meia can be seen snapping off the stalks of her broccoli (while inside the store) and tossing it back into the pile, to reduce the cost of the produce once weighed at the checkout counter.

broccoli.jpg
Do you do this too? Credit: Polina Tankilevitch/Pexels

‘I’m not paying for these [stems] so I just pull them off and throw them away,’ she said. The footage shows Meia holding a plastic bag filled with only broccoli florets because she doesn’t want to pay extra for the stalks, and vegetables are charged by weight.

While this method of cutting costs is nothing new, the video sparked a debate on whether the breaking of the stalks is ‘ethical’. Some even believe the act can be considered as ‘theft’.

‘I’m only going to pay for what I am going to eat,’ Meia shared.

In another video, Meia said she simply cuts the stalks off with a pocket knife she carries on her. ‘I just leave the stalks in the store, I don’t need [them]. Y’all can have it,’ she said.

Her clip has garnered more than 6.4 million times – with many divided over her simple money-saving method.

broccoli2.jpg
Vegetables are priced according to their weight. Credit: mimicarter81/TikTok

‘I feel this!’ Commented one.

While another said that their grocery sells by the bunch, not per kilo. To which Meia replied: ‘Ours does both. When it’s by the kilo I rip off what I’m not eating.’

Others said they loved the stalks more than the florets, and even gave cooking tips.

‘Hey funny thing, the stalk is actually healthier than the top. I peel it and cook it with the rest, it’s kind of like an artichoke with butter,’ wrote one.

‘The stems are fantastic sautéed in sesame oil,’ said another.

While some were not impressed by her behaviour.

‘Do you peel the bananas too?’ Asked one.

Another shared that what Meia did was ‘theft by deception’.

Key Takeaways

• Meia Carter’s broccoli ‘hack’ gained online attention after sharing it on TikTok.
  • Her money-strategy method involved snapping off the stems of her broccoli in stores in an effort to reduce her grocery bill.
  • It sparked a huge debate as some applauded her method while some deemed it as ‘theft’.
What’s your stance on this, members? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
We’re all looking for ways to save a bit of money on our grocery bills these days, and shoppers everywhere are always coming up with creative ways to do that.

One woman went viral on TikTok for a peculiar method she adopted when buying broccoli to reduce the cost of her grocery bill.

A lot of us are reasonably thrifty. Sure, we may splurge on luxury items now and then, but when it comes to groceries, strict budgeting is key to getting more value out of our trolleys.

For some resourceful shoppers, it means going the extra mile to save a few extra cents – even if this could be seen as controversial. This was recently highlighted by Meia Carter, a 41-year-old woman, who shared a video of her thrifty grocery habit.

In a now-viral clip, Meia can be seen snapping off the stalks of her broccoli (while inside the store) and tossing it back into the pile, to reduce the cost of the produce once weighed at the checkout counter.

View attachment 10796

‘I’m not paying for these [stems] so I just pull them off and throw them away,’ she said. The footage shows Meia holding a plastic bag filled with only broccoli florets because she doesn’t want to pay extra for the stalks, and vegetables are charged by weight.

While this method of cutting costs is nothing new, the video sparked a debate on whether the breaking of the stalks is ‘ethical’. Some even believe the act can be considered as ‘theft’.

In another video, Meia said she simply cuts the stalks off with a pocket knife she carries on her. ‘I just leave the stalks in the store, I don’t need [them]. Y’all can have it,’ she said.

Her clip has garnered more than 6.4 million times – with many divided over her simple money-saving method.

View attachment 10797

While another said that their grocery sells by the bunch, not per kilo. To which Meia replied: ‘Ours does both. When it’s by the kilo I rip off what I’m not eating.’

Others said they loved the stalks more than the florets, and even gave cooking tips.

‘Hey funny thing, the stalk is actually healthier than the top. I peel it and cook it with the rest, it’s kind of like an artichoke with butter,’ wrote one.

Key Takeaways

• Meia Carter’s broccoli ‘hack’ gained online attention after sharing it on TikTok.
  • Her money-strategy method involved snapping off the stems of her broccoli in stores in an effort to reduce her grocery bill.
  • It sparked a huge debate as some applauded her method while some deemed it as ‘theft’.
That is probably taking money

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

That is terrible doing that.

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

Apart from the fact that the stalks are eatable and nourishing because Meia does not eat the stalks doesn't mean she can remove them from the florets. Her action is illegal and her selfishness is unethical.

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

This is a disgusting and disrespectful practice. The stems taste exactly the same as the florets. She should be banned from supermarkets where she does this.😡

That’s outrageous and theft to boot. Besides which, apart from the stalks being tasty and good for you, they can be put in water and a new plant grown. I’ve often done this with broccoli and kale and even the “specialty new veggie” - kalettes from Coles. I have a row of them growing now that we’re started from the small, rather old ones on the bag I bought.

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

Well I wouldn’t do it because I love the stalks If I saw her left stalks I would purchase them All of it would get peeled washed and eaten

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

I pull the stems out of mushrooms. Since I rarely buy more than five at a time, I don’t think think I’ll be the cause of a major supermarket going broke. 😊

That’s outrageous and theft to boot. Besides which, apart from the stalks being tasty and good for you, they can be put in water and a new plant grown. I’ve often done this with broccoli and kale and even the “specialty new veggie” - kalettes from Coles. I have a row of them growing now that we’re started from the small, rather old ones on the bag I bought.
How is it theft? She’s paying for what she takes. She’s leaving what she doesn’t want. Unless there’s a sign stating every part of the broccoli must be purchased, I can’t see how she’s stealing. If a supermarket puts broccoli on display with three times the amount of stalk to florets, in my view, that’s outrageous. It’s fine for those who eat the stalks, but most people don’t.

In any case, the whole kerfuffle is what I call a first world problem, and I ceased worrying about those more than 20 years ago.

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

It’s theft. Why? Because the whole of the plant is edible, so if you cut off the stalk it is thrown out, wasted. So by doing this you are contributing to waste and robbing the store of an income providing source. Surely this rates as criminal behaviour. We might as well start shelling peanuts. They are sold by weight. I don’t eat their shells, yet we pay for them. So what’s the deal?

She is missing out on the best bits! The stalks are so versatile and can be used in untold ways. My kids used to fight over whose turn it was to get the stalks, even the dogs would line up for their share! :)

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

She is forcing the rest of us to pay more for our veges. She is a selfish person.The store has to buy it so she should too

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

Does she also remove the husks from corn, peels from onions, skins from pumpkins, stalks from cherries, etc etc???? She’s nothing but a thief

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

Like a previous writer I always eat the stalks. I think the shopper is definitely doing something wrong. I am amazed the retailer hasn’t noticed! What a nerve! And carrying a knife - even if small!

I

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways

View attachment 10796

View attachment 10797

Key Takeaways