Inspiring Kmart employee wins ‘unsung hero’ award and gives all the money to charity

Everyone knows that retail work isn’t the most glamorous job in the world. Long hours, low pay, and cranky customers can really take their toll after a while.

But despite all of that, there are still some retail workers out there who go above and beyond to ensure their customers have the best possible experience.

How many of you have ever waltzed into a Kmart store after an exhausting day only to be greeted by a particularly friendly employee? Did they have the power to turn your frown upside down and make you smile?

Travis Martin is making a name for himself after nabbing a prestigious award for 'never failing to make customers smile' and donating the money to a cancer charity.

64758011-11450757-Kmart_greeter_Travis_Martin_pictured_has_thousands_of_fans_who_h-a-1_1668997539229.jpg

Travis Martin, a Kmart employee, has hundreds of admirers who have commended him for making everyone's day when they enter his store. Credit: Facebook.

This inspiring employee can be found in front of the Central Kmart in North Queensland, greeting customers and helping them shop.

Travis was nominated for the award by the shopping centre to recognise unsung heroes for International Men's Day.

On Friday, he claimed the top spot – 3,000 votes ahead of second-place nominee.

'Travis has become a well-known member of the community and is a customer service hero thanks to his bubbly energy and welcoming nature,' stated the centre management.

Management also added that he donated the entire $2,000 prize to the Cancer Council Queensland, which offers free cancer care treatment to Queenslanders.

Travis expressed his gratitude towards the Kmart community, saying that it was a pleasure to brighten people's days.

64757997-11450757-Cairns_Central_pictured_gave_the_award_for_International_Men_s_D-a-2_1668997539250.jpg

After recognising International Women's Day earlier this year, Cairns Central presented the award for International Men's Day. Credit: Facebook/Cairns Central.

Social media was flooded with messages of congratulations and support for Mr Martin, with more than 800 people hailing him as a 'legend'.

One person who is a frequent shopper at the Kmart store shared: 'Trav is a legend! Always compliments people and has such a positive energy, I can't help but smile every time I leave Kmart when he's there.'

'This guy, I tell you! Whenever I come to Cairns I love going to this Kmart BECAUSE of this guy Travis. I live 1.5 hours away by the way,' another said.

A third chimed in: 'He finally got recognised! Always makes my day. I once ran into him out and told him how much he makes my day... He told me “you never know what someone else is going through, so always be nice” true honest good man.'

'Such a friendly & helpful man, helped me out once when shopping while heavily pregnant,' a fourth added.

The shopping centre recognised International Men's Day as an opportunity to spotlight admirable male role models and spread awareness of men's mental health and well-being.

A representative said: 'We would like to congratulate all five finalists for their tireless contributions to the Cairns community and their associated charities.'

Key Takeaways

• Travis Martin is an Australian Kmart worker who was recognised for his friendly and helpful nature towards customers.
  • He was nominated for a shortlist by the shopping centre to recognise unsung heroes for International Men's Day and on Friday claimed the top spot after receiving a flood of votes.
  • The friendly giant was given a $2,000 award which he donated in its entirety to Cancer Council Queensland.
  • Fans rushed to social media to show their support for the local celebrity, with more than 800 people almost unanimously complimenting him.

In these trying times, it can be easy to focus on all the negativity in the world and forget about the positive things – like the good people who make an effort to brighten other people’s days.

We here at the SDC are firm believers that a little act of kindness can go a long way, especially when it’s given without any expectation of anything in return.

We're sending our congratulations to Travis for being such an inspiring employee! How about you, members? Did this story touch you? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Everyone knows that retail work isn’t the most glamorous job in the world. Long hours, low pay, and cranky customers can really take their toll after a while.

But despite all of that, there are still some retail workers out there who go above and beyond to ensure their customers have the best possible experience.

How many of you have ever waltzed into a Kmart store after an exhausting day only to be greeted by a particularly friendly employee? Did they have the power to turn your frown upside down and make you smile?

Travis Martin is making a name for himself after nabbing a prestigious award for 'never failing to make customers smile' and donating the money to a cancer charity.

64758011-11450757-Kmart_greeter_Travis_Martin_pictured_has_thousands_of_fans_who_h-a-1_1668997539229.jpg

Travis Martin, a Kmart employee, has hundreds of admirers who have commended him for making everyone's day when they enter his store. Credit: Facebook.

This inspiring employee can be found in front of the Central Kmart in North Queensland, greeting customers and helping them shop.

Travis was nominated for the award by the shopping centre to recognise unsung heroes for International Men's Day.

On Friday, he claimed the top spot – 3,000 votes ahead of second-place nominee.

'Travis has become a well-known member of the community and is a customer service hero thanks to his bubbly energy and welcoming nature,' stated the centre management.

Management also added that he donated the entire $2,000 prize to the Cancer Council Queensland, which offers free cancer care treatment to Queenslanders.

Travis expressed his gratitude towards the Kmart community, saying that it was a pleasure to brighten people's days.

64757997-11450757-Cairns_Central_pictured_gave_the_award_for_International_Men_s_D-a-2_1668997539250.jpg

After recognising International Women's Day earlier this year, Cairns Central presented the award for International Men's Day. Credit: Facebook/Cairns Central.

Social media was flooded with messages of congratulations and support for Mr Martin, with more than 800 people hailing him as a 'legend'.

One person who is a frequent shopper at the Kmart store shared: 'Trav is a legend! Always compliments people and has such a positive energy, I can't help but smile every time I leave Kmart when he's there.'

'This guy, I tell you! Whenever I come to Cairns I love going to this Kmart BECAUSE of this guy Travis. I live 1.5 hours away by the way,' another said.

A third chimed in: 'He finally got recognised! Always makes my day. I once ran into him out and told him how much he makes my day... He told me “you never know what someone else is going through, so always be nice” true honest good man.'

'Such a friendly & helpful man, helped me out once when shopping while heavily pregnant,' a fourth added.

The shopping centre recognised International Men's Day as an opportunity to spotlight admirable male role models and spread awareness of men's mental health and well-being.

A representative said: 'We would like to congratulate all five finalists for their tireless contributions to the Cairns community and their associated charities.'

Key Takeaways

• Travis Martin is an Australian Kmart worker who was recognised for his friendly and helpful nature towards customers.
  • He was nominated for a shortlist by the shopping centre to recognise unsung heroes for International Men's Day and on Friday claimed the top spot after receiving a flood of votes.
  • The friendly giant was given a $2,000 award which he donated in its entirety to Cancer Council Queensland.
  • Fans rushed to social media to show their support for the local celebrity, with more than 800 people almost unanimously complimenting him.

In these trying times, it can be easy to focus on all the negativity in the world and forget about the positive things – like the good people who make an effort to brighten other people’s days.

We here at the SDC are firm believers that a little act of kindness can go a long way, especially when it’s given without any expectation of anything in return.

We're sending our congratulations to Travis for being such an inspiring employee! How about you, members? Did this story touch you? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Judyz
What a great man, I also wish there were more like him. We have a lovely lady at our Kmart store who helps you through the self serve checkouts (which I won't use) and she always puts me through an ordinary register. I think she is fantastic dealing all the grumpy people coming into the store. Good on her as well.:)