Infected mosquitoes trigger Ross River virus outbreak scare

Queensland is bracing for a potential health crisis as authorities warn of a surge in Ross River virus (RRV) cases.

The alarm bells started ringing after detecting infected mosquitoes in various parts of the state, from Mackay to the Gold Coast.

This discovery has led health officials to predict thousands of Queenslanders could fall victim to the debilitating virus in the coming weeks.

According to Health Direct, the Ross River virus is a mosquito-borne disease that can cause various symptoms, including painful joints, muscle and tendon discomfort, fever, headaches, a red rash, and fatigue.

While the virus is not fatal, it can significantly impact the quality of life of those infected, leaving them debilitated for months.

mosquito.jpg
Queensland has alerted its residents of the Ross River virus. Credit: Freepik

Recovery typically takes three to six months, but some people may experience symptoms for longer.

Residents in flood-impacted areas across Victoria, New South Wales (NSW), Queensland, and South Australia were also urged to stay vigilant as the risk for diseases, including Ross River virus, escalated early this year.

As of writing, flood warnings have been hoisted over Queensland, NSW, South Australia, the Northern Territory, and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT).

The looming threat of a Ross River virus outbreak is a serious concern for Queensland's Chief Health Officer, Dr John Gerrard.

He anticipates a 'significant' number of cases across the state, reminiscent of the major outbreak four years ago when over 3,000 people contracted the virus.

'I think we should assume that anywhere in Queensland, you are likely to be susceptible to Ross River fever,' Gerrard warned.

In response to the threat, authorities have initiated aerial treatments to curb the mosquito population.

One Queenslander who knows all too well the impact of the Ross River virus is Matthew Brown.

He contracted the virus after being bitten by a mosquito in his home.

Describing his experience, Brown said, 'I started experiencing periods of fatigue where I'd feel like someone had taken the battery out.'

One of our members also shared their loved one’s experience with the disease.

‘My daughter got Ross River virus four years ago when camping by a river,’ member @ElleJay said in response to a previous story.

‘She is in her 20s and developed temporary rheumatoid arthritis, where she had very painful and inflamed joints… She was unwell for months.’
Key Takeaways

• Queensland authorities anticipate a significant increase in Ross River virus cases due to infected mosquitoes across the state.
  • Symptoms of the virus include joint pain, muscle and tendon soreness, as well as fever, headache, a red rash, and fatigue.
  • There is no vaccine or specific treatment for the virus, with most people recovering in three to six months.
  • Residents are urged to protect themselves as authorities conduct aerial treatments, which only kill the larvae stage of mosquitoes.
Meanwhile, various mosquito-repellant products are being sold as ‘natural’ ways to avoid getting bitten. But do they all work? An expert from the University of Sydney doesn’t think so.

Have you or someone you know ever contracted the Ross River virus? What measures are you taking to avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I caught the Ross River Virus a mere 35 years ago when I lived at Wellington Point, QLD. The only way I knew I had had it was when I had a blood test many months later. However, I do remember thinking at the time that I had a bad case of Arthritis in my hands & a loss of motivation.