Are you at risk? Rising floodwaters and heatwaves trigger nationwide health alarm

In recent months, much of the country has been deluged with rain and extreme heat, causing widespread flooding across several states.

While the wet conditions may temporarily relieve bushfires and drought, health authorities are now sounding the alarm about a surge in mosquito-borne diseases as temperatures rise.

Residents in flood-impacted areas across Victoria, New South Wales (NSW), Queensland, and South Australia are urged to stay vigilant as the disease risk escalates.

The floodwaters have created an ideal breeding ground for mosquitoes, increasing the risk of diseases such as the Ross River virus, Murray Valley encephalitis, and Japanese encephalitis.

pexels-icon-com-169357.jpg
Aussies in flood-impacted areas are urged to stay on high alert for mosquito-borne diseases. Source: icon0.com/Pexels

But it’s not just those in flood-affected areas who need to be cautious. Mosquito season spans from November to April, putting the entire country at the mercy of these insects.

During a recent visit to the flood-hit town of Seymour, located 104 km north of Melbourne, Victoria's Minister for Health, Mary-Anne Thomas, warned locals of the impending danger.

'Pooling water and warm weather unfortunately create ripe conditions for mosquito numbers to soar,' she said. 'It’s important that people in flood-affected areas know how to protect themselves from disease in the coming weeks.'

Paul Byleveld, NSW's Acting Director of Environmental Health, echoed this sentiment, stating that Japanese encephalitis had recently been detected in the state.

'Mosquitoes thrive in wet, warm conditions like those that much of NSW is experiencing,' he said.

'People should take extra care to protect themselves against mosquito bites and mosquito-borne disease, particularly after the detection of Japanese encephalitis in a sentinel chicken in Far Western NSW,’ Mr Byleveld added.

While deaths from mosquito-borne diseases are rare in Australia, they can still occur. Since January 1, 2021, there have been seven deaths from Japanese encephalitis.

Moreover, the symptoms of these viruses can be debilitating, ranging from tiredness, rash, headache, and sore and swollen joints to rare but severe symptoms of seizures and loss of consciousness.

So, how can you protect yourself during this high-risk period?​

Here are some practical tips to reduce the risk of mosquito bites:

Tip

• Dress appropriately: Wear long, loose-fitting clothing. Mosquitoes can bite through tight clothing.
  • Use repellents: Apply mosquito repellents containing Picaridin or DEET on exposed skin.
  • Protect children: Spray or rub repellent on children’s clothes, avoiding their skin, especially their hands. Look for child-friendly repellents.
  • Limit outdoor activity: If there is a significant uptick in mosquitoes, limit your time outdoors and use ‘knockdown’ fly spray, mosquito coils, or plug-in repellent while sitting or eating outdoors.
  • Remove stagnant water: Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water, so ensure you remove any around your home or campsite.
  • Install mosquito netting: Make sure your windows are fitted with mosquito netting or screens.

Understanding Mosquito-Borne Diseases​

Mosquito-borne diseases are caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites transmitted by mosquitoes.

They can transmit diseases without being affected themselves. Nearly 700 million people get a mosquito-borne illness each year, resulting in over one million deaths.

In Australia, the most common diseases spread by mosquitoes are the Ross River virus, Barmah Forest virus, and dengue virus.

More recently, there has been an increase in cases of Murray Valley encephalitis and Japanese encephalitis.

Ross River and Barmah Forest viruses can cause joint inflammation, pain, fatigue, and muscle aches.

On the other hand, Dengue fever symptoms include high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, joint and muscle pain, rash, and mild bleeding.

Murray Valley encephalitis and Japanese encephalitis are much rarer but can cause severe symptoms, including headache, high fever, disorientation, coma, tremors, and convulsions, especially in children.

While there is no specific treatment for these diseases, symptoms can be managed with medications for pain and fever, plenty of rest, and drinking lots of water.

Remember, prevention is better than cure. Stay safe and protect yourself from mosquito bites.

Key Takeaways
  • Australians in flood-impacted areas are warned to be highly alert for mosquito-borne diseases due to favourable breeding conditions.
  • Mosquito-borne diseases highlighted include the Ross River virus, Dengue, Murray Valley encephalitis and Japanese encephalitis.
  • Health authorities are urging people to take simple steps to protect themselves, such as using repellents, wearing protective clothing, and eliminating stagnant water.
  • Despite being rare, deaths from Japanese encephalitis have occurred, and the disease can have debilitating symptoms, prompting the emphasis on preventative measures.

Have you been affected by the recent floods, members? Share your experiences and tips for dealing with mosquitoes in the comments below.

Sponsored
My daughter got Ross River virus four years ago when camping by a river. She is in her 20s and developed temporary rheumatoid arthritis, where she had very painful and inflamed joints. The doctor tried various medications, and eventually put her on Hydroxychloroquine, which worked but it took quite a while. She was unwell for months.

• Sad
Reactions: Macarj and Knell
The diseases you can get from flood water are also a big worry.

In recent months, much of the country has been deluged with rain and extreme heat, causing widespread flooding across several states.

While the wet conditions may temporarily relieve bushfires and drought, health authorities are now sounding the alarm about a surge in mosquito-borne diseases as temperatures rise.

Residents in flood-impacted areas across Victoria, New South Wales (NSW), Queensland, and South Australia are urged to stay vigilant as the disease risk escalates.

The floodwaters have created an ideal breeding ground for mosquitoes, increasing the risk of diseases such as the Ross River virus, Murray Valley encephalitis, and Japanese encephalitis.

View attachment 39110
Aussies in flood-impacted areas are urged to stay on high alert for mosquito-borne diseases. Source: icon0.com/Pexels

But it’s not just those in flood-affected areas who need to be cautious. Mosquito season spans from November to April, putting the entire country at the mercy of these insects.

During a recent visit to the flood-hit town of Seymour, located 104 km north of Melbourne, Victoria's Minister for Health, Mary-Anne Thomas, warned locals of the impending danger.

'Pooling water and warm weather unfortunately create ripe conditions for mosquito numbers to soar,' she said. 'It’s important that people in flood-affected areas know how to protect themselves from disease in the coming weeks.'

Paul Byleveld, NSW's Acting Director of Environmental Health, echoed this sentiment, stating that Japanese encephalitis had recently been detected in the state.

'Mosquitoes thrive in wet, warm conditions like those that much of NSW is experiencing,' he said.

'People should take extra care to protect themselves against mosquito bites and mosquito-borne disease, particularly after the detection of Japanese encephalitis in a sentinel chicken in Far Western NSW,’ Mr Byleveld added.

While deaths from mosquito-borne diseases are rare in Australia, they can still occur. Since January 1, 2021, there have been seven deaths from Japanese encephalitis.

Moreover, the symptoms of these viruses can be debilitating, ranging from tiredness, rash, headache, and sore and swollen joints to rare but severe symptoms of seizures and loss of consciousness.

So, how can you protect yourself during this high-risk period?​

Here are some practical tips to reduce the risk of mosquito bites:

Tip

• Dress appropriately: Wear long, loose-fitting clothing. Mosquitoes can bite through tight clothing.
  • Use repellents: Apply mosquito repellents containing Picaridin or DEET on exposed skin.
  • Protect children: Spray or rub repellent on children’s clothes, avoiding their skin, especially their hands. Look for child-friendly repellents.
  • Limit outdoor activity: If there is a significant uptick in mosquitoes, limit your time outdoors and use ‘knockdown’ fly spray, mosquito coils, or plug-in repellent while sitting or eating outdoors.
  • Remove stagnant water: Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water, so ensure you remove any around your home or campsite.
  • Install mosquito netting: Make sure your windows are fitted with mosquito netting or screens.

Understanding Mosquito-Borne Diseases​

Mosquito-borne diseases are caused by bacteria, viruses, or parasites transmitted by mosquitoes.

They can transmit diseases without being affected themselves. Nearly 700 million people get a mosquito-borne illness each year, resulting in over one million deaths.

In Australia, the most common diseases spread by mosquitoes are the Ross River virus, Barmah Forest virus, and dengue virus.

More recently, there has been an increase in cases of Murray Valley encephalitis and Japanese encephalitis.

Ross River and Barmah Forest viruses can cause joint inflammation, pain, fatigue, and muscle aches.

On the other hand, Dengue fever symptoms include high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, joint and muscle pain, rash, and mild bleeding.

Murray Valley encephalitis and Japanese encephalitis are much rarer but can cause severe symptoms, including headache, high fever, disorientation, coma, tremors, and convulsions, especially in children.

While there is no specific treatment for these diseases, symptoms can be managed with medications for pain and fever, plenty of rest, and drinking lots of water.

Remember, prevention is better than cure. Stay safe and protect yourself from mosquito bites.

Key Takeaways

• Australians in flood-impacted areas are warned to be highly alert for mosquito-borne diseases due to favourable breeding conditions.
  • Mosquito-borne diseases highlighted include the Ross River virus, Dengue, Murray Valley encephalitis and Japanese encephalitis.
  • Health authorities are urging people to take simple steps to protect themselves, such as using repellents, wearing protective clothing, and eliminating stagnant water.
  • Despite being rare, deaths from Japanese encephalitis have occurred, and the disease can have debilitating symptoms, prompting the emphasis on preventative measures.

Have you been affected by the recent floods, members? Share your experiences and tips for dealing with mosquitoes in the comments below.
You need to stop posting this alarmist bs, there is no extreme heat wave, 30 deg is not extreme get off the band wagon and stop pedaling the climate change agenda people are scared and vulnerable enough with out you pushing this clap trap, shame, shame, shame

A few years ago I got bitten by a mossie on the leg and turned out to be the BAINSDALE ULCER A FLESH EATING BUG, it became an ulcer and all this black stuff come out, finally it HEALED BUT LAYED DORMENT AND CAME OUT ON THE LEFT SIDE OF MY STOMACH, I WAS IN HOSPITAL FOR 3 WEEKS, THEY SAID I WAS THE FIRST ONE THAT THEY HAD SEEN, HAD TO GO AROUND WITH A BOTTLE ATTACH TO MY STOMACH AND IT HAD ALL THE BLACK FLUID IN IT, FINALLY THEY HAD TO ATTACH A SPONGE TO MY STOMACH, WHEN THEY HAD TO TAKE IT OF, MY SKIN WAS ATTACHED TO IT, I FELT I WAS BEING SKINNED ALIVE, SCREAMING IN PAIN, THEY APOLOGIZE ,AND SAID THEY COULD NOT GIVE ME AN ANESTHETIC AS IT WOULD FEED IT, I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT, THAT I HAD EGGS, ANYWAY THEY MADE SURE THAT I HAD ANESTHETIC WHEN I HAD TO HAVE A BIG SKIN GRAFT, SO I HATE MOSIES.

• Sad
Reactions: Zoya and Knell
A few years ago I got bitten by a mossie on the leg and turned out to be the BAINSDALE ULCER A FLESH EATING BUG, it became an ulcer and all this black stuff come out, finally it HEALED BUT LAYED DORMENT AND CAME OUT ON THE LEFT SIDE OF MY STOMACH, I WAS IN HOSPITAL FOR 3 WEEKS, THEY SAID I WAS THE FIRST ONE THAT THEY HAD SEEN, HAD TO GO AROUND WITH A BOTTLE ATTACH TO MY STOMACH AND IT HAD ALL THE BLACK FLUID IN IT, FINALLY THEY HAD TO ATTACH A SPONGE TO MY STOMACH, WHEN THEY HAD TO TAKE IT OF, MY SKIN WAS ATTACHED TO IT, I FELT I WAS BEING SKINNED ALIVE, SCREAMING IN PAIN, THEY APOLOGIZE ,AND SAID THEY COULD NOT GIVE ME AN ANESTHETIC AS IT WOULD FEED IT, I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT, THAT I HAD EGGS, ANYWAY THEY MADE SURE THAT I HAD ANESTHETIC WHEN I HAD TO HAVE A BIG SKIN GRAFT, SO I HATE MOSIES.
"SO I HATE MOSIES" - yikes, and rightfully so!

Aw… you poor thing! I don’t blame you.