Indulge in a taste of the UK: Smith's new British-inspired chips just landed at ALDI

Calling all UK expats and foodies alike – ALDI’s Special Buys range has something delicious to offer!

With three new chip flavours inspired by iconic British tastes, this limited-time-only collection is here just in time to help you satisfy your cravings for a taste of home (or for new flavours).

The budget-friendly German supermarket chain is offering Smith’s Prawn Cocktail, Bangers & Mash, and Worcestershire Sauce chips as part of their limited-time British Bites Special Buys collection.

Introduced on June 7, these Special Buys are available in stores across Australia for a limited time only, so you'll want to get in quick to grab these tasty treats before they’re gone!

smiths1.jpg
Smith’s Chips introduced UK-inspired flavours to Australian supermarkets. Credit: nectoriouspapi1/TikTok

Though this isn't the first time ALDI has offered these iconic chip flavours, customers are as excited as ever to indulge in these UK-inspired snacks.

Food influencer @nectoriouspapi1 took to social media to showcase these tantalising flavours, which retail for $3.29 a bag.

Social media buzz suggested that the Prawn Cocktail variety has been particularly popular among shoppers, with many keen to try this authentic British flavour.

‘The way my jaw dropped when you said prawn cocktail! I miss Lay's prawn cocktail so much,’ commented one social media user on the video.

Another fan gushed: ‘I loved the UK brand prawn cocktail chips, so maybe I’ll have to get some of these.’

Meanwhile, a nostalgic shopper added: ‘Oh my, Prawn Cocktail. I used to love that; the last I tried was five years ago.’

You can watch @nectoriouspapi1’s video below:

Of course, opinions on food can be subjective, and not everyone was convinced that the chips accurately reflected the flavours they were aiming for.

One social media user remarked, ‘I had the Bangers and Mash ones today; they are inaccurately flavoured. I've had multiple limited-edition flavours, and they always miss the mark.’

An ALDI spokesperson confirmed the arrival of these exclusive flavours in stores nationwide.

‘ALDI's limited-time-only British Bites Special Buys, including Smith's crinkle-cut chips in a prawn cocktail, bangers and mash, and Worcestershire sauce flavours, are a returning favourite for ALDI customers,’ they told reporters.

‘We're excited to bring back these delicious British treats and are sure that expats down under will love getting their hands on a little slice of home at prices so low you'd think they were in Pounds,’ the spokesperson continued.

So, why not take a trip down to your local ALDI and enjoy some classic British flavours? Happy snacking!
Key Takeaways
  • ALDI has introduced three new UK-inspired chip flavours from Smith's as part of its British Bites Special Buys collection.
  • The flavours – Prawn Cocktail, Bangers & Mash, and Worcestershire Sauce – are available for a limited time only at a price of $3.29 per bag.
  • Social media users and food influencers have shown excitement for the new flavours, particularly the Prawn Cocktail flavour.
  • An ALDI spokesperson confirmed the arrival of the chips in stores nationwide, stating they are a ‘returning favourite’ for ALDI customers.
Members, have you been to the UK? What was one of your favourite snack foods? Have you tried any of these chips before? We’d love to hear your thoughts and feedback in the comments!

Sponsored
Do we know the ingredients of the contents? Are the ingredients to same as all other chips? I must go into Aldi's and have a look and let everyone know what's in them.

I reckon I will find a variety of chemicals, bad fats, the wrong type of salt and cooked in vegetable oil. However, I will still look at them and get a list. You see I don't know because I stopped eating this sort of stuff many years ago.

Now if Aldi or any other food provider via Seniors Discount Club were to be advertising specials for real food like good cruciferous vegetables, eggs, meats and good quality oils and other cooking products then I would be all ears.

Remember the older you get the more important it is to get rid of these foods from our diet.

I never buy chips , they are very fatty, full of salt and flavours and not very nutritious at all , I rather buy a bag of natural unsalted nuts and roast them at home , I have a handful with my decaf coffee after dinner.
Much better option.

I never buy chips , they are very fatty, full of salt and flavours and not very nutritious at all, I rather buy a bag of natural unsalted nuts and roast them at home, I have a handful with my decaf coffee after dinner.
Much better option.
Yes, Mina correct! When you say 'fatty' remember fat is not the problem unless its trans fats, high carbs sugar and the wrong sort of salt. Chips are virtually made up of all these items. A handful of good nuts (macadamia, pecans, walnuts, almonds) is a great alternative. This is a post I put up in response to another advertisement on the Seniors site. Given that you seem to be well aware this might be of interest.

I'm so glad you posted this. You are absolutely correct. Some current health industry awards and similar courses contain a lot of information, content and advice which is strenuously being rejected in other nutritional health circles. The problem with this is that less educated individuals (and it's not their fault) are acting on information, advice and practises which in many cases adds to the ever-growing obesity problems in turn leading to some major health causes like insulin resistance, diabetes and dementia, particularly as we age, and our bodies run out of health credit or reserve. Yes, the elimination of grains, trans fats, vegetable oils sugar or chemical sugar replacements and high carb foods is what should be advertised (apart from many other things). You don't need fibre from bread. You'll get plenty from cruciferous vegetables.

I applaud Seniors Discount Club for trying to provide information to members, however this information should be moderated. Having a busy lifestyle and being time poor does not cut it. Most of us consider what we need to do to invest in our finacial future but we never consider what it means to invest in the future of our health. The uses of most processed products whether labelled as healthy or not should be avoided.

Good food is medecine, bad food needs medecine.

Well done Baz I hope others get in on the act and Seniors Discount Club perhaps look at ways of bringing alternative information to its members.

Do we know the ingredients of the contents? Are the ingredients to same as all other chips? I must go into Aldi's and have a look and let everyone know what's in them.

I reckon I will find a variety of chemicals, bad fats, the wrong type of salt and cooked in vegetable oil. However, I will still look at them and get a list. You see I don't know because I stopped eating this sort of stuff many years ago.

Now if Aldi or any other food provider via Seniors Discount Club were to be advertising specials for real food like good cruciferous vegetables, eggs, meats and good quality oils and other cooking products then I would be all ears.

Remember the older you get the more important it is to get rid of these foods from our diet.
It’s nice to have a treat now and then, it can get boring eating healthy all the time!
And maybe the person who was shocked at the price of chips in Coles would like to try these? You can bet they’ll be cheaper!

Danger to the health!!!! Added to that the price is exorbitant.

It’s nice to have a treat now and then, it can get boring eating healthy all the time!
And maybe the person who was shocked at the price of chips in Coles would like to try these? You can bet they’ll be cheaper!
Yes, I know that we all need a treat every now and again and I'm certainly not a saint, but these sorts of advertisements which you can only describe as junk processed foods are becoming the norm on most sites including Senior Discount. I'm not sure whether that should be the aim or objective of Seniors Discount Club. What we want from Seniors Discount Club is good advice to help us age healthier and better all the time and not some of the time. Who cares whether you save a dollar or so on chips, you can find that out anytime, we don't need an establishment like Senior's Discount to tell us that, nor should they be promoting it. We can harm ourselves well enough without others advertising how to pull the trigger.

But of course, being fair about this I hear what you are saying, the only issue I think is to make sure we do the best we can so we can enjoy a long and healthy retirement. So, to that end Seniors Discount Club don't have to tell us where all the crap food is, they should be telling us where all the specials are on good foods. Hope that's not too harsh.

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk
I fully agree with Joseph. I know what products to buy and certainly NOT to buy.
Healthy snacks don’t have to be boring , I make most of my slices at home and my friends love them and ask me often to bring in the healthy snacks they had before and loved it.

Nothing to do with food , but all the cleaning products we should buy and are amazing , is a bit over the top for me . I use my products and my house is certainly not dirty .

Reactions: Joseph Gallina
I fully agree with Joseph. I know what products to buy and certainly NOT to buy.
Healthy snacks don’t have to be boring , I make most of my slices at home and my friends love them and ask me often to bring in the healthy snacks they had before and loved it.

Nothing to do with food , but all the cleaning products we should buy and are amazing , is a bit over the top for me . I use my products and my house is certainly not dirty .
Yes Mina. It is actually quite enjoyable making your own stuff and experimenting and exploring new recipes and good snacks.

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk