In defence of self-service checkouts: Consumer expert responds to shopper's open letter

It seems that more and more businesses these days are moving to the modern convenience of automated self-checkouts.

We love shopping (more specifically, bargain hunting!) here at the SDC, and retail stores like Kmart, Bunnings, Woolworths, Coles and Target are a few examples of our go-to places.

But for one shopper, recent visits to these big retailers have left a bitter taste in her mouth.

Recently, a scathing open letter criticising self-service checkouts at some of Australia's biggest stores has thrown a spotlight on an issue that many others had been quietly resenting: After relying upon customers to complete the checkout process themselves, why are they then asked to wait and queue up to have their receipts checked at the exit?

The shopper's letter reads: 'You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be. I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you.'

The post was quickly shared on social media, and many commenters voiced their agreement with the writer, suggesting this wasn't an isolated incident.

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 9.19.37 AM.png
An open letter written by an Australian shopper blasting the self-service checkouts at many major retailers went viral on social media. Credit: Facebook (left), Unsplash/Eduardo Soares (right).

In defence of the increasing number of self-service checkouts in major retailers, consumer advocates have stepped forward to address the issue and defend the stores, with Gary Mortimer from the Queensland University of Technology insisting that the data shows 'more consumers are actually seeking to take control of their own transactions'.

Self-service checkouts are slower than manned checkouts.

According to him, there are definitely long queues at either the staff or self-service registers, but this is mainly due to the holiday season when more and more people are out shopping.

'Progressively, many businesses are implementing different types of smart retail technology that enable them to speed up that final sales process,' he explains.

Why are customers forced to wait in line to have their receipts inspected after self-checkout?

He argues that it's just part of the necessary way to 'combat theft' and something that is done in quite a few stores or businesses regardless of the checkout method.

'If you scan your goods or have someone scan them for you, someone still has to check the receipt when you leave the store,' he says.

This stance has been backed by Director of Store Operations for Kmart and Bunnings in Australia, Ben Camire, who went on to add: 'We treat every customer the same way and with respect'.

Screen Shot 2022-12-21 at 9.19.43 AM.png
Self-service checkouts making their way into more and more stores do not mean fewer jobs for retail workers, says Mortimer. Credit: Pexels/Erik Scheel.

Self-service checkouts are taking away jobs from people.

As for the fear that self-checkouts might end up replacing checkout workers completely, Mortimer calms it down by saying that 'it won't mean fewer jobs; it will just mean different jobs'.

He points out that the implementation of such technology has led to an increase in other kinds of roles, such as online grocery pickers, so there's no longer a shortage of retail jobs – even with the big push towards technology.

He adds: 'If we went back five or six years, we wouldn't have those jobs in stores, but now we often see those team members walking along the aisles, picking and packing online orders.'

In short, automated checkout don’t have to mean an end of the checkout role – it may just mean there's a shift in where it is most needed.

Having an employee scan and pack my purchases for me is still the only way to go for me when checking out.

Mortimer promises that major retailers in the country, like Kmart and Bunnings, will never go 100% self-serve, and there will always be a place for traditional checkout people to assist customers in packing their bags and becoming familiar with their purchases.

'I don't think we'll ever get to a stage where there will be no checkout operators and everything will be self-served,' he says.

'I think there will always be a place for team members at the front of the store to assist customers in bringing up their sales and packing up their bags, and there will always be consumers that want that type of service.'
Key Takeaways

• Shoppers have been vocal online about their frustrations with self-service checkouts in stores such as Kmart, Bunnings, Woolworths and Coles.
  • Retail expert Gary Mortimer from the Queensland University of Technology defended the stores and the use of self-service checkouts.
  • He highlights the following points: consumers wanting to take control of their own transactions and smart technology making different jobs available.
  • He argues stores have always checked receipts at some form of checkout, and there will always be a place for checkout operators.

Members, it is definitely an interesting development to consider, and it's probably a good sign that the stores are looking for the best way to speed up your shopping process without compromising your safety and convenience.

It is also nice to take comfort in knowing that we'll still be able to find those old-school cashier services if ever we need them – and that there are job opportunities out there regardless of if we prefer self-serve or a more traditional approach to checkout.

What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
It seems that more and more businesses these days are moving to the modern convenience of automated self-checkouts.

We love shopping (more specifically, bargain hunting!) here at the SDC, and retail stores like Kmart, Bunnings, Woolworths, Coles and Target are a few examples of our go-to places.

But for one shopper, recent visits to these big retailers have left a bitter taste in her mouth.

Recently, a scathing open letter criticising self-service checkouts at some of Australia's biggest stores has thrown a spotlight on an issue that many others had been quietly resenting: After relying upon customers to complete the checkout process themselves, why are they then asked to wait and queue up to have their receipts checked at the exit?

The shopper's letter reads: 'You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be. I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you.'

The post was quickly shared on social media, and many commenters voiced their agreement with the writer, suggesting this wasn't an isolated incident.

View attachment 10795
An open letter written by an Australian shopper blasting the self-service checkouts at many major retailers went viral on social media. Credit: Facebook (left), Unsplash/Eduardo Soares (right).

In defence of the increasing number of self-service checkouts in major retailers, consumer advocates have stepped forward to address the issue and defend the stores, with Gary Mortimer from the Queensland University of Technology insisting that the data shows 'more consumers are actually seeking to take control of their own transactions'.

According to him, there are definitely long queues at either the staff or self-service registers, but this is mainly due to the holiday season when more and more people are out shopping.

'Progressively, many businesses are implementing different types of smart retail technology that enable them to speed up that final sales process,' he explains.

Why are customers forced to wait in line to have their receipts inspected after self-checkout?

He argues that it's just part of the necessary way to 'combat theft' and something that is done in quite a few stores or businesses regardless of the checkout method.

'If you scan your goods or have someone scan them for you, someone still has to check the receipt when you leave the store,' he says.

This stance has been backed by Director of Store Operations for Kmart and Bunnings in Australia, Ben Camire, who went on to add: 'We treat every customer the same way and with respect'.

View attachment 10794
Self-service checkouts making their way into more and more stores do not mean fewer jobs for retail workers, says Mortimer. Credit: Pexels/Erik Scheel.

As for the fear that self-checkouts might end up replacing checkout workers completely, Mortimer calms it down by saying that 'it won't mean fewer jobs; it will just mean different jobs'.

He points out that the implementation of such technology has led to an increase in other kinds of roles, such as online grocery pickers, so there's no longer a shortage of retail jobs – even with the big push towards technology.

He adds: 'If we went back five or six years, we wouldn't have those jobs in stores, but now we often see those team members walking along the aisles, picking and packing online orders.'

In short, automated checkout don’t have to mean an end of the checkout role – it may just mean there's a shift in where it is most needed.

Having an employee scan and pack my purchases for me is still the only way to go for me when checking out.

Mortimer promises that major retailers in the country, like Kmart and Bunnings, will never go 100% self-serve, and there will always be a place for traditional checkout people to assist customers in packing their bags and becoming familiar with their purchases.

'I don't think we'll ever get to a stage where there will be no checkout operators and everything will be self-served,' he says.

'I think there will always be a place for team members at the front of the store to assist customers in bringing up their sales and packing up their bags, and there will always be consumers that want that type of service.'
Key Takeaways

• Shoppers have been vocal online about their frustrations with self-service checkouts in stores such as Kmart, Bunnings, Woolworths and Coles.
  • Retail expert Gary Mortimer from the Queensland University of Technology defended the stores and the use of self-service checkouts.
  • He highlights the following points: consumers wanting to take control of their own transactions and smart technology making different jobs available.
  • He argues stores have always checked receipts at some form of checkout, and there will always be a place for checkout operators.

Members, it is definitely an interesting development to consider, and it's probably a good sign that the stores are looking for the best way to speed up your shopping process without compromising your safety and convenience.

It is also nice to take comfort in knowing that we'll still be able to find those old-school cashier services if ever we need them – and that there are job opportunities out there regardless of if we prefer self-serve or a more traditional approach to checkout.

I'm sure doing it ourselves takes away jobs.

View attachment 10795

View attachment 10794

Key Takeaways

I walk through without showing my receipt some yell after me mostly they don't do anything

It would be nice in bunnings if when looking for a team member on the floor you can actually find one! I asked the person at the dressing room at kmart where the mens hankies are she didnt know what i was talking about! Then said we dont sell them!!!! More like just go away and dont bother me!!!!

View attachment 10795

View attachment 10794

Key Takeaways

My feelings of having to present your receipt for purchases at the store’s exit is embarrassing and humiliating. By doing this basically the sore is saying they don’t trust the customers. 😡 …. just my point if view

View attachment 10795

View attachment 10794

Key Takeaways

View attachment 10795

View attachment 10794

Key Takeaways

Well I for one will never stand in line at a self service checkout Always get it done for me and I am the one checking the receipt and invariably pick up the odd mistake It has however been a while as I prefer the odd pick up and collect and delivery these days and eat out a lot My freezers are are pretty full at the moment I have the fridge freezer in the kitchen a tucker box freezer and another fridge freezer in the garage as I avoid having to worry about running out and really hate having to shop I might have to leave my $100 Woolworths Christmas shop this year and store for next year and Coles points I had I used $100 for a gift card that was delivered to give to someone for Christmas

I find Kmart irritating to shop at. If they didn't have items that I like to buy, I wouldn't shop there lol
Last year, I had an annoying male check-out member from Woolworths who always wanted to check my bag as he was scanning my items. I told him if I wanted to steal, I wouldn't be attending a manned check-out, I would be using the self-serve!

Last edited:

View attachment 10795

View attachment 10794

Key Takeaways

I far and away prefer the interaction of the checkout.

I don't mind showing receipts at the exit as it potentially reduces the risk of thefts. Note that all of us end up paying for thefts as prices in the store go up.
I don't use self serve at Coles, woolies etc unless I have one or two items. Otherwise I always use the checkout service.

I'm one who prefers self checkout, because I like my groceries packed the way I want them. However, the K-Mart change to their checkouts in the middle of the store makes no sense at all to me. I have often seen something on the way out I might have liked, but I'm not going to line up again. Showing my receipt isn't a big deal, they never check it anyway. If they put their checkouts back where they shuld be, there would be no problem

"As for the fear that self-checkouts might end up replacing checkout workers completely, Mortimer calms it down by saying that 'it won't mean fewer jobs; it will just mean different jobs'."

I call BS on this statement. My local Bunnings has four (4) automated checkouts with one member of staff manning them. In just that small area, you have a 75% reduction of staff. Stop lying to the public. This happens in all stores where they have "self-checkouts". On top of that, they - the stores - encourage people to use these outlets and in so doing say "we trust you" to scan every item correctly, only to stop you as you are leaving the store to check your docket. They either trust you or they don't... My money is on the later...

View attachment 10795

View attachment 10794

Key Takeaways

K Mart Would be one of the worst checkouts in Australia. Waiting behind 30 to 40 people at a time. I wouldn’t call that speeding up going process. If I have to do there job I get paid in the way of buy one get one free. 😊😊😊

I hate the self checkouts, however I've never been asked for my receipt to be checked, I always offer anyway, so they don't care. People are only doing their job. However these checkouts are taking away people's jobs

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 10795

View attachment 10794

Key Takeaways

And another fuss about nothing. 🙄 An article disguised as another self checkout bashing article.

For people claiming they're not employed by the stores so shouldn't be doing their own scanning and they'll put off staff because of it. Everybody isn't in charge of the various stores employment policy. If they want to move staff around or lay them off then that's nothing to do with me or anyone else. They're all in business to make a profit, not lose money. They're not charities.

If people want to allegedly boycott these places, that means less money coming into the business so less money to pay staff, so again they'd lay off staff.

I use self checkout in any store as much as possible. If I have to queue up to have it scanned I don't like the checkout person packing my goods anyway and I just put everything back in the trolley so I can sort it myself in my car boot

And as for having a receipt checked on the way out. Why is it such a problem? The people complaining may be honest but there are a lot of people trying to get something for nothing.

As soon as I've paid, on self checkout, I just hold the receipt in my hand to show the person on the door on the way out. Why is that so hard for people to do? 🤔 However, the people they put there I can't see any of them demanding to see a receipt if they don't show them.🙂

Reactions: Maaaaaa and Ricci
If the prices were reduced to compensate for self-checkout maybe JUST maybe I would use one. However, I prefer to be served by a check-out person as one can converse with that person it makes shopping enjoyable.