Image of an ALDI checkout feature goes viral and sparks an intense debate online – What do YOU think?

One shopper shared a snap of a new ALDI checkout feature on Reddit, leaving several users in a heated debate.

The customer revealed that ALDI cashiers in the US have now been given seats for them to use while working their shifts.

Previously, checkout workers at ALDI supermarkets in the US were given no choice but to stand throughout their entire workday while they scanned shoppers’ grocery items.

A tiny but stark difference between ALDI cashiers in Australia (and other parts of the world), where seats are and have always been provided for the supermarket employees at the register.

However, ALDI is the only major supermarket in Australia that provides seats for its checkout workers. In several European countries, including the UK and Germany, it’s the norm for checkout cashiers to be seated while working.

But in Canada and the US, it is expected for cashiers to stand during their entire shift.

THX-SF9dDkgh80E9uAfhp_oGnilrXvZm5v-arf12U1U6UgFZr4CIZrPSHP6PnPWU45JL8w9K_Ie9Xd6xJEn6vXIYIYis_DZgaG0cY2mvSNJaEoTYizDmW0D80K3a6erLuB4S0VWglWYEAMvB1A

Yay or nay? Image Credit: Reddit

The post prompted a dispute among users, with a heated debate ensuing around whether or not supermarket workers should be ‘allowed’ to sit while they scan groceries.

Many hailed the requirement as ‘cruel’, with one even pointing out how forcing employees to stand up all the time is ‘heartless’.

“I was just going to say what kind of heartless bastard would make their cashiers stand all the time?” said one user. “I can’t say I’m surprised this is a US-thing, but I’m still somehow disappointed.”

“They stand in Australia, too.” chimed another.

“Not in ALDI, mate. Coles and Woolies, probably. I haven’t noticed much.” responded a third.

“It’s cruel to make cashiers stand up when they can do the same job sitting down.” asserted another.

Some suggested reasons why factory and retail employers would rather have their employees stand up while working.

“It’s all about getting the most work efficiently from your worker. Not comfort…” one wrote.

Post Credit: @Bhoro

“I worked in a factory and they gave us a speech about how sitting created a ‘mentality of leisure’ that wasn’t appropriate for the workplace.” commented another.

Added a third: “There’s literally no reason to make cashiers stand, except that corporations don’t want their employees to be perceived as lazy.”

One retail worker shared their personal stance issue, disclosing the health issues they suffered from standing up during long shifts.

“I hated working in retail and not being able to sit all day ESPECIALLY when the store has no customers,” the worker said.

“We would lean against things instead and maybe get away with kind of sitting on the edge of the counter, lol.”

“When the manager sees that you’re not standing, you would get scolded and be told to ‘look busy’ or ‘find something to do!’”

“My feet would always hurt by the end of an eight-hour shift and I wouldn’t have enough recovery time if I closed one day and opened the store the next.”

“Whenever this happened, I would literally slip my shoes off behind the counter and try to massage my feet on the edge of the bottom shelf behind the counter.”

1I3yl-60KlnUvhBWUnakpTr6nVf-peAvgd71_AqUY9niVf1jLafVzboA02e-VxxnSeYsPWvhOAvf1PD6xM2UVdoYrBGx1q8jxceTlvS-JblVdWrKH6jWyrSle79w2wppJu8aDmJcEtt8geG51Q

“Let them sit!” Image Credit: Tony Pannaccio - Medium

But a handful of Reddit users disagreed, declaring employees who sit behind the registers as ‘lazy’.

“Lazy Americans,” hissed one.

“Isn’t sitting all day terrible for your health?” asked another.

One more said: “How f***ing lazy!”

So, what’s YOUR stand (no pun intended… well, maybe a little) on this feature? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Watch a brief discussion among Reddit users about the issue below:

Video Credit: @Curious Reddit

Sponsored
Personally I don't really care whether my checkout person is standing or sitting so long as they can complete their job. Those that stand should be equipped with anti-fatigue mats that help. When I worked as a retail manager I offered my staff stools but after trials they decided they were too restrictive and they preferred to stand. I then gave them a double layer of the anti-fatigue mats and they were happy.:)

I work for Woolworths on the front end. I am 66 & do a 5 hour shift. We have fatigue mats to stand on. Because we pack our customers bags it would be too hard to sit. Aldi don't pack bags so sitting & doing your job is much easier. Yes I would like to sit while working but it would be counter productive.

I work for Woolworths on the front end. I am 66 & do a 5 hour shift. We have fatigue mats to stand on. Because we pack our customers bags it would be too hard to sit. Aldi don't pack bags so sitting & doing your job is much easier. Yes I would like to sit while working but it would be counter productive.
I totally agree with you, Aldi staff only swipe allowing them to sit whereas the others pack bags. If you do not have your bags packed you might as well use a self checkout!!!!

Image of an ALDI checkout feature goes viral and sparks an intense debate online – What do YOU think?

One shopper shared a snap of a new ALDI checkout feature on Reddit, leaving several users in a heated debate.

The customer revealed that ALDI cashiers in the US have now been given seats for them to use while working their shifts.

Previously, checkout workers at ALDI supermarkets in the US were given no choice but to stand throughout their entire workday while they scanned shoppers’ grocery items.

A tiny but stark difference between ALDI cashiers in Australia (and other parts of the world), where seats are and have always been provided for the supermarket employees at the register.

However, ALDI is the only major supermarket in Australia that provides seats for its checkout workers. In several European countries, including the UK and Germany, it’s the norm for checkout cashiers to be seated while working.

But in Canada and the US, it is expected for cashiers to stand during their entire shift.

THX-SF9dDkgh80E9uAfhp_oGnilrXvZm5v-arf12U1U6UgFZr4CIZrPSHP6PnPWU45JL8w9K_Ie9Xd6xJEn6vXIYIYis_DZgaG0cY2mvSNJaEoTYizDmW0D80K3a6erLuB4S0VWglWYEAMvB1A

The post prompted a dispute among users, with a heated debate ensuing around whether or not supermarket workers should be ‘allowed’ to sit while they scan groceries.

Many hailed the requirement as ‘cruel’, with one even pointing out how forcing employees to stand up all the time is ‘heartless’.

“I was just going to say what kind of heartless bastard would make their cashiers stand all the time?” said one user. “I can’t say I’m surprised this is a US-thing, but I’m still somehow disappointed.”

“Not in ALDI, mate. Coles and Woolies, probably. I haven’t noticed much.” responded a third.

“It’s cruel to make cashiers stand up when they can do the same job sitting down.” asserted another.

Some suggested reasons why factory and retail employers would rather have their employees stand up while working.

“It’s all about getting the most work efficiently from your worker. Not comfort…” one wrote.

“I worked in a factory and they gave us a speech about how sitting created a ‘mentality of leisure’ that wasn’t appropriate for the workplace.” commented another.

Added a third: “There’s literally no reason to make cashiers stand, except that corporations don’t want their employees to be perceived as lazy.”

One retail worker shared their personal stance issue, disclosing the health issues they suffered from standing up during long shifts.

“I hated working in retail and not being able to sit all day ESPECIALLY when the store has no customers,” the worker said.

“We would lean against things instead and maybe get away with kind of sitting on the edge of the counter, lol.”

“When the manager sees that you’re not standing, you would get scolded and be told to ‘look busy’ or ‘find something to do!’”

“My feet would always hurt by the end of an eight-hour shift and I wouldn’t have enough recovery time if I closed one day and opened the store the next.”

“Whenever this happened, I would literally slip my shoes off behind the counter and try to massage my feet on the edge of the bottom shelf behind the counter.”

1I3yl-60KlnUvhBWUnakpTr6nVf-peAvgd71_AqUY9niVf1jLafVzboA02e-VxxnSeYsPWvhOAvf1PD6xM2UVdoYrBGx1q8jxceTlvS-JblVdWrKH6jWyrSle79w2wppJu8aDmJcEtt8geG51Q

But a handful of Reddit users disagreed, declaring employees who sit behind the registers as ‘lazy’.

So, what’s YOUR stand (no pun intended… well, maybe a little) on this feature? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Ah, yes ... I can see the lawyers lining up already at the sight of the cashier teetering on the edge of her work station. The "no win, no pay" mob would have a field day.

I wonder whether Straya is the only country in the world which puts up with the check-out inconvenience of trying to stuff the groceries in a bag or finding some room at the end of the counter while staying ahead of the rapid push-through of them by the check-out chick? Ever see the classic skit by Lucille Ball where she was trying to wrap the chocolates on an assembly line as they came through? It couldn't be more appropriate. Google it.

When I was in Europe for the first time in 1967 The cashiers were already sitting and in the smaller towns they used to close from midday till 3 then worked till 8pm .I thought how lucky they were as I worked in retail as well ;Why are people complaining Good on Aldi ..

What is wrong with the cashier sitting. I worked in a factory when I was young and some jobs we had the option to sit or stand. Aldi workers don’t sit all day,I have noticed them changing over and they repack the shelves. There is nothing worse than standing all day.

I started working when I was 15 in the 60's and all of my jobs since then required standing, sometimes in one place for 8 hours even up till I was 8 months pregnant. I'm still working, standing for 7 hours and I now have spider veins, starburst veins from the top of my thighs to my insteps back and front of both legs. I no longer wear clothes that even show my ankles because they're ugly and I'm very self conscious of them.

When l first started work over 50 years ago in a factory on a concrete floor, sitting when there was a lull was permitted & was actually written into the Award.

I have noticed that staff at the Bunnings stores l visit supply a mat for staff to stand on & regularly rotate their staff so they are not standing in one place for long periods. This is probably not possible (perhaps?) at a grocery store because the cashier is responsible for a correct till at the end of the day. But why should they not be allowed to sit? While they are busy the mind is active & Staff are physically able to do a full shift without fatigue. There is always the option to stand from time to time at a Checkout if the operator wishes.

Well I think it’s a great idea. Customers still get service where’s the problem.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci