'I think that's it': Hollywood star calls it quits with action movies

Hollywood is brimming with talented stars and iconic performers that have entertained us over the years.

However, with time comes the possibility of these actors retiring from their careers.

A venerable action star revealed that his days of sprinting, punching, and outwitting bad guys will end soon.

Liam Neeson plans to retire from his high-octane action movie roles.

In a candid interview, the Taken series star expressed his concerns about believability and the physical demands of the genre.

'I'm 72; it has to stop at some stage,' Neeson remarked. 'You can't fool audiences.'

compressed-liam neeson.jpeg
Liam Neeson garnered 24 awards and 52 nominations throughout his career. Image Credit: IMDb

He also revealed a timeline for his 'retirement' from action films.

'Maybe the end of next year, I think that's it.'

Neeson's packed resume included roles in The A-Team, The Grey, Wrath of the Titans, and his latest film, Absolution.

He did most of his fight scenes while entrusting more dangerous ones to his trusted double, Mark Vanselow.

Neeson's dedication to his roles has been admirable, but he acknowledged the need to let go.

'I don't want Mark to be fighting my fight scenes for me,' he added.

His illustrious career is not limited to action alone.

With a career that spanned over four decades, Neeson also made his mark in war dramas such as Michael Collins and Schindler's List.

He also appeared in blockbusters like Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace and Batman Begins, and even romantic comedies like Love Actually and Ordinary Love.

While he's letting go of his more serious roles, he's not quite ready to retire from acting altogether.

Neeson is set to explore his comedic side in an upcoming remake of The Naked Gun, which will be released next year.

'Whether I can carry it or not, I honestly don't know,' Neeson shared, as he plays the role of a 'silly' policeman, Frank Drebin Jr.

His co-star, Pamela Anderson, has already praised his comedic performance and convinced audiences to look forward to the movie.

It's not the first time Neeson has spoken about retirement from action films.

He mentioned in a 2021 interview with Entertainment Tonight that he wanted to step back from the genre.

He also expressed his disinterest in returning to superhero or science-fiction movies, citing a lack of enthusiasm for the physical preparation and costume constraints often associated with the roles.

Neeson's decision might resonate on a personal level.

It's a reminder that embracing change and knowing when to change priorities is a sign of wisdom and self-awareness.

It's also a reminder that it's never too late to explore new horizons.
Key Takeaways

• Hollywood action star Liam Neeson has already planned to retire from action movies in the near future, citing his age.
  • While he still does his fight scenes, Neeson lets his stunt double handle more dangerous stunts.
  • Despite retiring from action roles, Neeson is still actively working, as he has a comedy movie coming out next year.
  • Neeson also expressed no desire to return to major superhero and science-fiction franchises he's previously been part of.
We wish Liam Neeson the best in the next chapter of his career. Do you have any favourite Liam Neeson movies or moments? Share them with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
I first saw him in a British series when he was quite young but cannot recall the title. He played the part from young to old as the series progressed, I never missed an episode. So annoying to not remember the series title.
Why don’t you type in his name and all the things he’s done will come up, I did for you but he’s done so much I don’t know which one you were referring to 😊

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Why don’t you type in his name and all the things he’s done will come up, I did for you but he’s done so much I don’t know which one you were referring to 😊
Thank you, I'll do that. Been an exhausting few days and I'm at the brick wall stage, so need sleep tight now but things need doing plus my little dog, who's had a long run of sickness, to see to.