'I forgot myself for a moment': Senator lets out shocking joke mid-session

In the hallowed halls of the Australian Parliament, where the weight of governance and decorum reign supreme, an unexpected yet light moment is always refreshing.

However, one senator's attempt at light banter recently made waves nationwide.

Victoria Senator Jane Hume found herself at the centre of a divided public opinion after an off-the-cuff remark that some labelled as 'X-rated'.

During a parliamentary session on Tuesday morning, Senator Hume welcomed Australian Securities and Investment Commission chairman Joe Longo when she veered off-script.

Acknowledging their usual encounters at the gym off-session, she quipped, 'I apologise for the lycra.'

compressed-senator hume.jpeg
Victoria Senator Jane Hume had a slip of the tongue amid parliamentary proceedings last Tuesday, June 4. Image Credit: X/Andrew Greene

However, her follow-up comment raised eyebrows among spectators: 'Less worthy men have seen me in far less.'

The senator was visibly surprised at her words as if she had momentarily forgotten the formality of her surroundings.
Longo attempted to steer the conversation back to safety.

Upon realisation, Senator Hume quickly retracted with an apology.

'Sorry, I completely forgot myself for a moment,' she said before redirecting everyone's focus to 'something serious'.

The room, however, had already been taken by a wave of laughter, and the incident swiftly transitioned from a potential gaffe to a talking point.

Footage of the exchange found its way onto social media, where Australians immediately voiced their opinions.

Many found the senator's remark to be a breath of fresh air and a glimpse of humanity amidst stiff government proceedings.

'Utterly delightful. The reality of day-to-day life and a refreshing banter,' one commented.

Another commenter expressed their newfound fondness for the senator, admitting they were 'actually warming to her'.

Yet, not everyone was amused.

Watch the full clip here:

Source: @AndrewBGreene/X

Some social media users and commentators criticised the comment as inappropriate, suggesting that such remarks have no place in the Parliament.

One commenter stated that Senator Hume managed to 'completely discredit yourself in one sentence.'

The incident raises questions about the balance between professionalism and personality in politics.

With Senator Hume's apology, it's clear that she is ready to move on to more serious matters that may shape Australians' future.
Key Takeaways

• Senator Jane Hume made an off-the-cuff remark in a Parliament meeting, dividing public opinion in the process.
  • She joked about her gym attire and meetings with ASIC chairman Joe Longo, which some found to be light-hearted banter.
  • Her follow-up comment shocked many spectators, and she immediately apologised for the remark.
  • Some Australians found the remark refreshing, while others considered it inappropriate for the Parliament.
Should our politicians be allowed to have casual banter, or should they always maintain a strict level of decorum? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
People who hate her political views will beat it up as 'the worst thing anyone has ever said'.

While supporters of her political views will call it 'the funniest thing anyone has ever said'.

The rest of us will mostly be mildly amused, but not really care much one way or the other.

While I can't see what the fuss is about in this instance, to say that in the Australian Parliament "the weight of governance and decorum reign supreme" is ridiculous. One of the worst insults the headmaster of my primary school could hurl at unruly kids was that we were "ruder than Parliament" and I'm fairly sure that atrocious manners from some MPs and Senators are still very much in evidence today!

I dare say this is probably true, so the parliament would be taken aback, because truth is seldom heard.
Just goes to show the electorate needs to lighten up, it's not like the Aust Parliament is regarded as anything more than a kindergarten.

Reactions: maherdj and Gsr
They should all be able to briefly banter and have a laugh then get back to issues at hand, providing there are no sexual innuendos behind any other giggling slip of the tongue comments. :)
After all, they are just as human as anyone else. They all eat and sh*t the same as anyone else. lol

This just shows the politicians are human. It probably wasn't appropriate. But who cares there was an instant apology.
We all need a sense of humour more so than ever with so much sadness in the world.
Kind regards to all Vicki

This just shows the politicians are human. It probably wasn't appropriate. But who cares there was an instant apology.
We all need a sense of humour more so than ever with so much sadness in the world.
Kind regards to all Vicki
Thank you for your comment Vasiliki

Camberra is a Swamp of Perversion, Sex, Drugs and Alcohol not a Place of Decorum as People want to believe ,She was pretty Tame

Reactions: Observer
Why is this a big deal? just move on! I am more concerned with the rubbish Albanese and his ragtag bunch of incompetents impose on the parliament.

• Love
Reactions: maherdj