S

Sean Camara

Hundreds of Australians lose thousands of dollars in ‘puppy scams’

If you're feeling lonely, a puppy may be the perfect solution. Dogs are known for their loyalty and companionship, and they can make great additions to any family. But before you adopt, there are a few things to consider.

And no, we're not going to discuss the proper care for these furry friends (that's a story for another day), we're talking about a new scam that is victimising hundreds of expecting dog owners...

If you're in the market for a new furry friend, beware: there's a nasty puppy scam making the rounds in Victoria, Australia.

We previously reported about how a multinational syndicate targeted would-be puppy owners through fake ads for puppies online.

Now, a similar scheme is targeting hundreds of Victorians who were duped out of thousands of dollars.

According to the Victoria Police, the scammers are asking for cash deposits to be made into a bank account for the puppy, which is supposed to cover transport, insurance, and registration fees.

But after victims make the initial payment, they're often asked for more money, with the scammers coming up with all sorts of excuses, like needing a different crate or extra equipment.

And of course, once they've got your cash, they disappear and you never hear from them again.

h7m840SEgbeK3x9VIa-1g3Ds4lF-jO0JxXMa97vwS9355HzfsnM-L1GZvQmdrKqiZaZoAsct4K9tscrv0Ve2yV2lLkzz9kBnXFuyGUZ3gU3KbugZKbWzi_kWUwaTsa4NaQ-g8oU5OmbjcToScm05QSLzJHy0-xPOnLqLlKzQCjLUG0YmuigGN9C7

Police warned customers who are looking to purchase a puppy online to be wary of a new scam. Credit: news.com.au.

Victims who didn't get the puppy, including a mother who mistakenly believed she was purchasing two french bulldogs for herself and her daughter and instead ended up losing over $10,000, reported losing anything between $700 and $10,000.

Police have cautioned that scammers are using online marketplaces and professional-looking websites to sell the dogs, noting that the most common dog breeds falsely advertised include Cavoodles, French Bulldogs, Mini Teacup Puppies, Golden Retrievers, Corgis, and Dachshunds.

Brimbank crime investigation unit Acting Detective Sergeant Laura Montgomery said that police are working double-time on informing and advising the public, especially those who are seeking to purchase a pet online, to conduct extensive research.

She remarked: 'We’re encouraging people to really do their research before buying – if an offer seems too good to be true, then it probably is.'

'While it might be convenient to purchase a puppy online, it’s imperative you see what you are buying before transferring funds over as this is the safest option.'

'Not only do victims lose a significant financial amount, but this type of scam also takes an enormous emotional toll on people who are devastated that they have been taken advantage of after wanting to bring a puppy into their lives.'

XYkiu9US94iPodjLu4p0b7OsVbyHHB-QWKBMpykiwX5HoZ_SMLaXF766lfxlAGkb7gQzWRfmM9Oe11E6_-epRS1UTmiC4zUERVpIelLVRb4gX7yOUrQ9z922qPb_fcu00BR5htflxg0dU6IbImZ1OckKWHAx_4dfIgrYYSz2EmKt2kpEYNzgL7HU

Cavoodles are among the common breeds of puppies being advertised by scammers online. Credit: 9News via iStock.

Anyone who is looking into purchasing a pet online is advised to:

• Perform reverse text and image searches for the advertised pet. You're probably dealing with fraud if the search produces matches across several websites. (For those of you who do not know how to do this, we recommend checking out the video below)

Credit: YouTube/TechInsider

• Before paying, try to meet the pet in person. If it's not possible, request a video call from the vendor so you can watch them handling and playing with the animal.
  • Be wary of vendors who provide pets for cheap prices.
  • Think twice before agreeing to pay additional expenses like additional shipping costs or veterinary costs.
  • Be wary of sellers who are only available through text or email communications instead of phone calls.
  • Consult a reputable breeder's organisation, such as dogsvictoria.org.au, for assistance regarding the seller. Otherwise, make sure to examine any websites being utilised that might be connected to suspicious frauds.

Anyone with knowledge of the fraud is urged to call Crime Stoppers at 1800 333 000.

It seems like everywhere you turn, there's a new scam waiting to take advantage of unsuspecting people. And now, even people who are simply looking for companionship through pets are being targeted. It's really worrying considering that most transactions are now being done online.

We advise our members to exercise extreme caution while interacting with anyone online, especially those who are planning to make a purchase. Stay safe out there, folks!

Anybody wanting a puppy from a reputable breeder should go through websites such as dogzonline.com.au They list registered breeders and have lists of puppies or older dogs for sale. I would seriously consider a dog from a rescue organisation, they can mostly be found at petrescue.com.au. Rescue dogs have bags of love to give, it's almost like they know you've saved them. The last six dogs I've owned have been rescues and they've brought just as much love, fun and companionship as any pedigree.:)

Hi just my 2 bobs worth. We have just bought a 4 month old Border Collie online, shipped from
NSW without any problems. The owner's daughter is here in WA and the pups were at the mothers place in NSW. The transaction was fine and the pup flown to WA the following week. We have had him for about 2 weeks now and are very happy with him. So they are not all scams even though the ad was on Gumtree.
Aspen 07 small.jpg

Kerro

• Love
Reactions: Ricci
Same with cats. I own a pedigree Bengal cat and often see gumtree selling ' Bengals' and 'half Bengals'. This wouldn't matter, except they charge huge amounts for a lovely looking domestic tabby cat.
Always use a registered Breeder for purchasing a specific breed of puppies or kittens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liz and Ricci
I am afraid I would only get rescues and save a life. I have had wonderful animals
Yes, rescues make wonderful pets, as I have always done that in the past too.
It's the first time with a pedigree pet.
I reckon it can be similar, as reputable breeders can't keep all their pets.
Only difference is I had to pay.

Yes, rescues make wonderful pets, as I have always done that in the past too.
It's the first time with a pedigree pet.
I reckon it can be similar, as reputable breeders can't keep all their pets.
Only difference is I had to pay.
Unfortunately I have noticed of late that some of the Rescue groups are jumping on the bandwagon and I've seen rescue dogs on Petrescue.com.au for up to $2000 depending on breed.. Whilst i am of the opinion that you appreciate something more if you have had to purchase it, and I certainly don't object to reasonable costs to reimburse the rescue groups I do think that these groups are pricing themselves out of the picture.:)

Unfortunately I have noticed of late that some of the Rescue groups are jumping on the bandwagon and I've seen rescue dogs on Petrescue.com.au for up to $2000 depending on breed.. Whilst i am of the opinion that you appreciate something more if you have had to purchase it, and I certainly don't object to reasonable costs to reimburse the rescue groups I do think that these groups are pricing themselves out of the picture.:)
Haven't seen that site, but I'm sure that happens.
The thing is, people can often find a dog or cat breed that owner's want to give away for whatever their personal reasons are.
For instance, there is a specific Australian Bengal rescue site with this sole purpose - but the difference is with this rescue site, they won't give animals away haphazardly. There's full screening behind the decision making.
I'm only speaking for my cat's breeder. Honestly, she doesn't make a huge amount selling her pedigree kittens. Being a registered breeder, there are fees to be paid, blood screening tests, vaccinations, microchip etc. etc. and of course getting desexed - as they never want unwanted kittens. Registered breeders don't give away their animals at such an early age like rescues do.
I know people are passionate about getting rescued animals and thank goodness for that!

Haven't seen that site, but I'm sure that happens.
The thing is, people can often find a dog or cat breed that owner's want to give away for whatever their personal reasons are.
For instance, there is a specific Australian Bengal rescue site with this sole purpose - but the difference is with this rescue site, they won't give animals away haphazardly. There's full screening behind the decision making.
I'm only speaking for my cat's breeder. Honestly, she doesn't make a huge amount selling her pedigree kittens. Being a registered breeder, there are fees to be paid, blood screening tests, vaccinations, microchip etc. etc. and of course getting desexed - as they never want unwanted kittens. Registered breeders don't give away their animals at such an early age like rescues do.
I know people are passionate about getting rescued animals and thank goodness for that!
All reputable rescue groups screen potential new owners and many do a home and garden check as well. I know that when I got my latest two dogs earlier this year I had to jump through several hoops to prove I was a worthy owner. I did get them for a special reduced price as I was willing to take both but as they had both already been de-sexed and the group only had to supply food, and water for 3 days and a general vet health check, $700 for both wasn't too bad.

Reactions: Penny4 and Liz
All reputable rescue groups screen potential new owners and many do a home and garden check as well. I know that when I got my latest two dogs earlier this year I had to jump through several hoops to prove I was a worthy owner. I did get them for a special reduced price as I was willing to take both but as they had both already been de-sexed and the group only had to supply food, and water for 3 days and a general vet health check, $700 for both wasn't too bad.
That's so good! I bet those two are grateful and loving your place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
Yes the Rescue Group I adopt through do charge a fee because all rescues are vet checked, microchiped, vaccinated and desexed and the money goes back into saving other animals and I don't begrudge them at all. I looked on Pet Rescue for my current animal and any I emailed about they were very selective as to whom they would give a cat too. Not a bad thing. I wasn't however looking for a specific breed just the animal who would suit me the most. I left Pet Rescue and went to RSPCA who I am not particularly fond of and then went back to AWL because I know they are a not for profit organisation and do so much for the animals who come into their care. It would be nice to have a specific breed but there are too many unscurpilous people not desexing their pets and so many unwanted kittens especially at the moment. That is why I look for an older animal to hopefully give them a home when so many people only want cute kittens or puppies and then dump them back. I also like AWL's Legacy Programme which my cat is signed up to, if something happens to me she goes back to AWL for rehoming (hopefully this won't be needed but it is like a safety net). I like AWL's National Desexing Programme which they run in conjunction with some vets. Pit all people who take on an animal (apart from breeding) would desex their animals. Sorry this is my hobby horse.😸🐶

Reactions: Ricci and Penny4
Unfortunately we were scammed $4,000 from a Tasmanian site ,’Bonnie Westhighland Terrier’. The police were informed, they suggested Acorn Cyber Fraud. Since reporting, the site has been taken down. Tasmanian & Queensland Cyber Fraud are following up. We were asked for additional money for special crate due to weather conditions in Tasmania . The penny down. The Alpha Global Logistics company invoice looked legal. I googled them, a Pakistan company. Spoke to a warehouse manager?, in Torquay ? He told me the puppies were find & being looked after in the warehouse. Devastated as these were my birthday present from my hubby, I contacted g to his West Highland Terrier Club. I was put in touch with four breeders. We now have two beautiful brother & sister West Highland Terriers, now 5 months old. Since our scam, I have heard so many stories, from people in all walks of life. Puppies pull at heart strings

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Ricci and Liz
Unfortunately we were scammed $4,000 from a Tasmanian site ,’Bonnie Westhighland Terrier’. The police were informed, they suggested Acorn Cyber Fraud. Since reporting, the site has been taken down. Tasmanian & Queensland Cyber Fraud are following up. We were asked for additional money for special crate due to weather conditions in Tasmania . The penny down. The Alpha Global Logistics company invoice looked legal. I googled them, a Pakistan company. Spoke to a warehouse manager?, in Torquay ? He told me the puppies were find & being looked after in the warehouse. Devastated as these were my birthday present from my hubby, I contacted g to his West Highland Terrier Club. I was put in touch with four breeders. We now have two beautiful brother & sister West Highland Terriers, now 5 months old. Since our scam, I have heard so many stories, from people in all walks of life. Puppies pull at heart strings
Shocking isn't it.
Pleased you found a reputable breeder and own 2 gorgeous Terriers who make you happy.