Humour and competitive spirits collide as Sunrise host pokes fun at VB’s Ashes-inspired ‘England Bitter’ release

When it comes to the Ashes series, a storied cricket Test between Australia and England dating back to 1882, it's not just the die-hard cricket lovers who are hooked.

Sports journalists, talk show hosts, and even the brewing industry are keenly following every match and are always ready with a comment or two, especially when some events are just too tantalising to ignore.

Carlton & United Brewery, more commonly known as CUB, is a well-known beer giant in Australia that has brewed Victoria Bitter (or VB as locals know it) since 1824.

VB has been an integral part of the Australian way of life, and the brand's quirky marketing campaigns have caught the public's attention.

Most recently, in response to the England cricket team's controversial loss to Australia in the second Ashes Test and the subsequent refusal to share a beer with the Australian team post-match.

compressed-england-bitter.jpeg
CUB playfully crafts an 'England Bitter' brew as a witty nod to the Ashes rivalry. Source: Drinks Trade

CUB cheekily rebranded Victoria Bitter as 'England Bitter'. Yes, you read right, they made 'England Bitter'!

This limited edition brew wasn't just for laughs, though. It was dispatched to reach Headingley, specifically for the English team. Talk about a beer with a message!

In a recent episode of the morning talk show, Sunrise, the hosts took this opportunity to have a fun segment and share a laugh.

Sunrise host, Matt Shirvington, known as Shirvo, had quite a bit to say on air about this amusing incident.

'So, are we allowed to leave the crease to have one?' he asked cheekily, adding a bit of sledging rhetoric to the mood.

compressed-VB.jpeg
Shirvo makes a playful attempt to snatch a bottle of England Bitter without leaving his cricket crease. Source: Sunrise

If you're not a cricket fan, sledging is a common practice in cricket where players aim to distract or taunt the opposition with cleverly worded jibes. It's all a part of the competitive landscape that makes cricket so riveting!

In another moment of hilarity, Shirvo was captured on camera trying to snatch a bottle of England Bitter whilst keeping a makeshift cricket bat inside the crease.

Fellow Sunrise host Nat Barr chimed in with her own take, extending her congratulations to CUB on its creative spin, bringing light-hearted revelry to this whole episode.

She said, ‘I love the fact that they’ve got it out so quickly. And you know what the note says with it: “You can get it not protecting your stumps, you can get it ignoring the umps!” Well done.’

Key Takeaways
  • Sunrise host Matt Shirvington delivered a brutal sledge while discussing VB’s rebrand of Victoria Bitter to 'England Bitter' following England's controversial loss in the Ashes Test.
  • The beer, developed as a sly jab at the English cricket team for refusing to share a beer with the Australian team, will be sent to Headingley for delivery to the English team.
  • Shirvington's sledge queried if we are allowed to leave the cricket crease to have the newly branded beer, indicating a dig at the English team's game.
  • Sunrise host Nat Barr expressed approval for CUB's quick and clever marketing move, complimenting the note that comes with the beer.

The incident sparked quite an online reaction. Fans took to social media to express their amusement.

One user said, ‘England, very bitter bitter’.

While another said, ‘I’m not a VB fan, but this is brilliant!!’

While we watch the unfolding Ashes matches, with a VB or an 'England Bitter' in hand, this incident shines as a reminder. It's not just about the game; it's about the camaraderie, the banter, the sledges, and the laughs that go along with it.

Members, what are your thoughts on Carlton & United Brewery's (CUB) creative marketing campaign of rebranding Victoria Bitter as 'England Bitter' in response to the Ashes cricket series?

Sponsored
Do they know it's an Aussie Beer ?

Hopefully we will win the 3rd test .
Well done Mitch Marsh with 118 runs.
Australia all out for 263, not a amazing run score but then England had a collapse with 3 out for 65 runs
Jonny Bairstow is at the crease , I'm thinking he needs to make sure he stays in his crease.

England are 3-65 chasing Australia’s 263

What was disgusting was how the Australian cricket 🏏 team were booed and disgusting how loud when Steve Smith walked on the field

Last edited:
When it comes to the Ashes series, a storied cricket Test between Australia and England dating back to 1882, it's not just the die-hard cricket lovers who are hooked.

Sports journalists, talk show hosts, and even the brewing industry are keenly following every match and are always ready with a comment or two, especially when some events are just too tantalising to ignore.

Carlton & United Brewery, more commonly known as CUB, is a well-known beer giant in Australia that has brewed Victoria Bitter (or VB as locals know it) since 1824.

VB has been an integral part of the Australian way of life, and the brand's quirky marketing campaigns have caught the public's attention.

Most recently, in response to the England cricket team's controversial loss to Australia in the second Ashes Test and the subsequent refusal to share a beer with the Australian team post-match.

View attachment 24441
CUB playfully crafts an 'England Bitter' brew as a witty nod to the Ashes rivalry. Source: Drinks Trade

CUB cheekily rebranded Victoria Bitter as 'England Bitter'. Yes, you read right, they made 'England Bitter'!

This limited edition brew wasn't just for laughs, though. It was dispatched to reach Headingley, specifically for the English team. Talk about a beer with a message!

In a recent episode of the morning talk show, Sunrise, the hosts took this opportunity to have a fun segment and share a laugh.

Sunrise host, Matt Shirvington, known as Shirvo, had quite a bit to say on air about this amusing incident.

'So, are we allowed to leave the crease to have one?' he asked cheekily, adding a bit of sledging rhetoric to the mood.

View attachment 24442
Shirvo makes a playful attempt to snatch a bottle of England Bitter without leaving his cricket crease. Source: Sunrise

If you're not a cricket fan, sledging is a common practice in cricket where players aim to distract or taunt the opposition with cleverly worded jibes. It's all a part of the competitive landscape that makes cricket so riveting!

In another moment of hilarity, Shirvo was captured on camera trying to snatch a bottle of England Bitter whilst keeping a makeshift cricket bat inside the crease.

Fellow Sunrise host Nat Barr chimed in with her own take, extending her congratulations to CUB on its creative spin, bringing light-hearted revelry to this whole episode.

She said, ‘I love the fact that they’ve got it out so quickly. And you know what the note says with it: “You can get it not protecting your stumps, you can get it ignoring the umps!” Well done.’

Key Takeaways

• Sunrise host Matt Shirvington delivered a brutal sledge while discussing VB’s rebrand of Victoria Bitter to 'England Bitter' following England's controversial loss in the Ashes Test.
  • The beer, developed as a sly jab at the English cricket team for refusing to share a beer with the Australian team, will be sent to Headingley for delivery to the English team.
  • Shirvington's sledge queried if we are allowed to leave the cricket crease to have the newly branded beer, indicating a dig at the English team's game.
  • Sunrise host Nat Barr expressed approval for CUB's quick and clever marketing move, complimenting the note that comes with the beer.

The incident sparked quite an online reaction. Fans took to social media to express their amusement.

One user said, ‘England, very bitter bitter’.

While another said, ‘I’m not a VB fan, but this is brilliant!!’

While we watch the unfolding Ashes matches, with a VB or an 'England Bitter' in hand, this incident shines as a reminder. It's not just about the game; it's about the camaraderie, the banter, the sledges, and the laughs that go along with it.

Members, what are your thoughts on Carlton & United Brewery's (CUB) creative marketing campaign of rebranding Victoria Bitter as 'England Bitter' in response to the Ashes cricket series?

You show me a good loser!! and I'll show you a loser?.

Reactions: chean1210
Do they know it's an Aussie Beer ?

Hopefully we will win the 3rd test .
Well done Mitch Marsh with 118 runs.
Australia all out for 263, not a amazing run score but then England had a collapse with 3 out for 65 runs
Jonny Bairstow is at the crease , I'm thinking he needs to make sure he stays in his crease.

England are 3-65 chasing Australia’s 263

What was disgusting was how the Australian cricket 🏏 team were booed and disgusting how loud when Steve Smith walked on the field
Yes an 'Aussie' beer owned by a Japanese Brewing conglomerate (ashi). Cricket is on par with baseball as the the greatest time consuming sports often with no outcome. The vast majority of Poms couldn't give a rats ar*s about cricket and quite honestly wouldn't even know it was on. Greatest irony of this decision is that it happened on the ground that wrote the rules of the game. Those rules included that the out decision was in their rule book.

Last edited:
Being an ex- Pom I am so glad Australia won, I just don't like the game at all very boring as a rule so I give it a miss. I am however always happy if the Aussies do well & to stick it to the Poms is even better.

Yes an 'Aussie' beer owned by a Japanese Brewing conglomerate (ashi). Cricket is on par with baseball as the the greatest time consuming sports often with no outcome. The vast majority of Poms couldn't give a rats ar*s about cricket and quite honestly wouldn't even know it was on. Greatest irony of this decision is that it happened on the ground that wrote the rules of the game. Those rules included that the out decision was in their rule book.
I've had many a debate with English people on cricket.
I don't think they could comprehend a woman knowing so much about it.

I think the Poms love their cricket. Look at the Barmy Army