Huge 40-year investment strengthens Medicare bulk billing—What does it mean for you?

Modern conveniences help make life easier. However, when it comes to medicine, many would still prefer it if it remained affordable.

Luckily, amid the cost-of-living crisis, it looks like this wish has a chance to be granted.

The Australian Government has announced the largest investment in bulk billing in the 40-year history of Medicare, making it easier for more than 11 million Aussies to see a bulk-billing doctor.

Since July, the incentive for general practitioners to bulk bill children (aged 16 and under), pensioners, and other Commonwealth concession card holders for most common GP consults has tripled.

pexels-photo-8413188.jpeg
The Australian Government has increased investments in Medicare and made it easy to see a bulk-billing doctor! Image: Pexels

This benefit now applies to around 5 million children and their families and 7 million pensioners and concession cardholders, who together account for around 3 out of 5 visits to the GP.

On top of that, a hefty $1.5 billion indexation boost to Medicare payments also took effect in November, making it the biggest increase to Medicare payments since former Prime Minister Paul Keating was in office.

Aiming to give both patients and GPs more benefits from bulk billing, this massive bump in incentive payments means that in major cities, doctors will get 34 per cent more for a standard bulk-billed consultation of under 20 minutes (a Level B consultation), taking the Medicare payment for eligible patients to $62.05.

In rural parts of Australia, doctors will get around 50 per cent more for the same visit, taking the Medicare payment to between $72.80 and $81.10, depending on the exact location.

A new Medicare rebate for GP consultations of 60 minutes or longer also took effect in November, giving patients a rebate of $191.20 and doctors to provide better care for patients with complex conditions.

More personalised Medicare will be built through MyMedicare.

Since voluntary registration for MyMedicare opened in October, more than 150,000 people have already signed up to enjoy longer telehealth consultations.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said of this massive investment: 'We’re delivering the biggest investment in Medicare in over 40 years, with more incentives for bulk billing and 58 new Urgent Care clinics across Australia.'

'These changes to the Medicare bulk billing incentive will make it easier and cheaper for more than 11 million Australians to visit a doctor.’

‘Combined with our cheaper medicines policy, electricity bill relief, cheaper child care and increased rent assistance, we’re continuing to deliver targeted cost of living relief without adding to inflation.’

Health Minister Mark Butler went on to add: 'The tripling of the bulk billing incentive will help over 5 million children and their families, and more than 7 million pensioners and concession card holders to see a bulk billed GP.’

‘Doctors’ groups have called this a ‘game-changer’, and GPs right around the country have said this will help them maintain and even shift back to bulk billing.’

He added: ‘Peter Dutton froze the Medicare rebate when he was Health Minister 10 years ago—a freeze that remained in place for six long years and led to a very substantial decline in bulk billing in general practice.’

‘Bulk billing is the beating heart of Medicare, and Labor will always strengthen it.’

Key Takeaways
  • The Albanese Government has implemented the largest investment in bulk billing in the 40-year history of Medicare, aiming to aid over 11 million Australians.
  • The incentive for GPs to bulk bill children under 16, pensioners and other concession cardholders has been tripled for the most common consultations.
  • A new Medicare rebate for GP consultations of 60 minutes or longer also begins today, paying patients a rebate of $191.20 and providing doctors with additional time to care for patients with complex conditions.
  • The investment and reform have been praised by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Health Minister Mark Butler as momentous and game-changing, aiming to strengthen the accessibility and quality of Medicare.

What do you think of this Medicare investment by the government? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
When is the incentive being paid to GPs I worked on General Practice and know how the lack of increases to the Medicare rebate have drastically reduced the amount of money GPs have received I hope this new incentive is already being paid
As for the new 2 for 1 medicines on a script The Government have always had a threshold, that once reached in a calendar year, medicine's are free for the remainder of that calendar year This new 2 for one script will prevent people from reaching this threshold and thus is a useless piece of so called help Unless this threshold is reduced everybody will be no better off Also this means that people will visit GPs less so reduces the money GPs make from patients as they visit less often so the incentive for HPs to bulk bill is lost So much for helping with the cost of living Rant over
Just get the Dr to do monthly that's what mine said. That way you reach the threshold.

Reactions: Bunyip57
Did you know there are not alot of medication on the 2 for one.

My daughter is on alot of medication for her lungs including ventolin, prednisone, Spirava, plus two others and none of these are two for one.

I'm on ventolin , Lyrica for nerve pain and also an antidepressant. None of these are 2 for 1

Hubby is on blood pressure tablets and Metaforin for diabetes, these he gets 2 for 1

So out of 10 regular medication I get made up only 2 are 2 for 1.

I reached out safety net early October but not everything is on this either two of my daughters meds are not. And only generic brands are free
He gets the Metformin as a 2-for-1? My doctor told me they hadn't been approved yet as a 2-for-1 but may be later ... I certainly hope that it has happened if your husband is getting it. Gives me some hope. It may be too that the extended-release Metformin (as opposed to the ordinary ones) are the ones that are waiting for approval for the 2-for-1 and they are the ones I am on.

Modern conveniences help make life easier. However, when it comes to medicine, many would still prefer it if it remained affordable.

Luckily, amid the cost-of-living crisis, it looks like this wish has a chance to be granted.

The Australian Government has announced the largest investment in bulk billing in the 40-year history of Medicare, making it easier for more than 11 million Aussies to see a bulk-billing doctor.

Since July, the incentive for general practitioners to bulk bill children (aged 16 and under), pensioners, and other Commonwealth concession card holders for most common GP consults has tripled.

View attachment 37292
The Australian Government has increased investments in Medicare and made it easy to see a bulk-billing doctor! Image: Pexels

This benefit now applies to around 5 million children and their families and 7 million pensioners and concession cardholders, who together account for around 3 out of 5 visits to the GP.

On top of that, a hefty $1.5 billion indexation boost to Medicare payments also took effect in November, making it the biggest increase to Medicare payments since former Prime Minister Paul Keating was in office.

Aiming to give both patients and GPs more benefits from bulk billing, this massive bump in incentive payments means that in major cities, doctors will get 34 per cent more for a standard bulk-billed consultation of under 20 minutes (a Level B consultation), taking the Medicare payment for eligible patients to $62.05.

In rural parts of Australia, doctors will get around 50 per cent more for the same visit, taking the Medicare payment to between $72.80 and $81.10, depending on the exact location.

A new Medicare rebate for GP consultations of 60 minutes or longer also took effect in November, giving patients a rebate of $191.20 and doctors to provide better care for patients with complex conditions.

Since voluntary registration for MyMedicare opened in October, more than 150,000 people have already signed up to enjoy longer telehealth consultations.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said of this massive investment: 'We’re delivering the biggest investment in Medicare in over 40 years, with more incentives for bulk billing and 58 new Urgent Care clinics across Australia.'

'These changes to the Medicare bulk billing incentive will make it easier and cheaper for more than 11 million Australians to visit a doctor.’

‘Combined with our cheaper medicines policy, electricity bill relief, cheaper child care and increased rent assistance, we’re continuing to deliver targeted cost of living relief without adding to inflation.’

Health Minister Mark Butler went on to add: 'The tripling of the bulk billing incentive will help over 5 million children and their families, and more than 7 million pensioners and concession card holders to see a bulk billed GP.’

‘Doctors’ groups have called this a ‘game-changer’, and GPs right around the country have said this will help them maintain and even shift back to bulk billing.’

He added: ‘Peter Dutton froze the Medicare rebate when he was Health Minister 10 years ago—a freeze that remained in place for six long years and led to a very substantial decline in bulk billing in general practice.’

‘Bulk billing is the beating heart of Medicare, and Labor will always strengthen it.’

Key Takeaways

• The Albanese Government has implemented the largest investment in bulk billing in the 40-year history of Medicare, aiming to aid over 11 million Australians.
  • The incentive for GPs to bulk bill children under 16, pensioners and other concession cardholders has been tripled for the most common consultations.
  • A new Medicare rebate for GP consultations of 60 minutes or longer also begins today, paying patients a rebate of $191.20 and providing doctors with additional time to care for patients with complex conditions.
  • The investment and reform have been praised by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Health Minister Mark Butler as momentous and game-changing, aiming to strengthen the accessibility and quality of Medicare.

What do you think of this Medicare investment by the government? Let us know in the comments below!
Speak to your Doctor and find out the real truth of all this bulldust we are being fed..... Spoke to mine and was a bit gobsmacked at the tactics used by the government, all just they come out sounding oh so good, helping us.....

When is the incentive being paid to GPs I worked on General Practice and know how the lack of increases to the Medicare rebate have drastically reduced the amount of money GPs have received I hope this new incentive is already being paid
As for the new 2 for 1 medicines on a script The Government have always had a threshold, that once reached in a calendar year, medicine's are free for the remainder of that calendar year This new 2 for one script will prevent people from reaching this threshold and thus is a useless piece of so called help Unless this threshold is reduced everybody will be no better off Also this means that people will visit GPs less so reduces the money GPs make from patients as they visit less often so the incentive for HPs to bulk bill is lost So much for helping with the cost of living Rant over
The threshold was reduced earlier.

View attachment 37292

Key Takeaways

SDC seems to have played the ALP advocate in producing this article. There are many of us who do not accept PM Albanese's rhetoric and are wondering when the False and Misleading Information Act will be promulgated. The adjustments are, however welcome, notwithstanding that Medicare payments for medical services does not reach universal cost levels. There are many wage/salary earners requiring medical treatment, and who are obligated to pay Medicare/private health insurance contributions but still pay more than 50% of the medical service fee. In the meantime, I will await notice that my medical services provider will revert to bulk billing.

He gets the Metformin as a 2-for-1? My doctor told me they hadn't been approved yet as a 2-for-1 but may be later ... I certainly hope that it has happened if your husband is getting it. Gives me some hope. It may be too that the extended-release Metformin (as opposed to the ordinary ones) are the ones that are waiting for approval for the 2-for-1 and they are the ones I am on.
Metaformin is definitely on the 2 for 1

I have now to pay more to see my doctor as the surgery has a no-bulk billing policy as a standard. I must admit to having had 6 months of free medicine from the government this year but as I have opted for CBD oil to replace my opiates I can't see that happening again. I have had 3 weeks of wound dressings done for me for free. As I can't do it myself. I also pay for the CBD oil so that is not factored into the equation. But for me, it works & it took me off opiates that I had been on for years.

Only strengthens the belief that governments will always find ways of stopping the citizen from getting any form of financial relief, essentially not much difference between them and an arsehole, just more rancid?.
No mention of the items dropped from Medicare that leave us out of pocket .

• Haha
Reactions: Hieme
About time it hasn’t kept up with inflation and now it’s just a big mess, same with private insurance all you get is a private hospital bed ad a bill, mine $6200 out of pocket Medicare and private insurance which I’ve held for over 40 years and never had an overnight stay in hospital only contributing $3200 between them so guess I can see why people have dropped it.🤬🤬🤬going like the USA now only the rich can afford health care
Your statement, "only the rich can afford health care", is a generalisation l believe. My wife & l are both 71, going on to 72 in 2 months, she has not worked since we married (51 1/2 years), l was forced into retirement @ age 47 without Super & we are by no means rich but have kept up premiums in an effort to avoid the long waiting lists & stay basically pain free & poor. To date this year l have had 3 operations & could have had a 4th last month if l hadn't decided to go to the funeral of my mosaics instructor. This is deferred to January 2024. I always waited more than 6 months before seeking treatment (hoping for improvement), & still had to wait for an op date, & always in pain. There is always out-of-pocket expenses of course. The Anesthetist for my next op charges $250 for a 10 minute consult of which Medicare pays a pittance.

Fortunately the G.P.'s my wife & l see have always Bulk Billed otherwise we'd be be $000's out of pocket. An appt is as easy as getting on HotDocs, seeing what is available & presto!

We reached the Threshold for medications around May this year making for a big saving there. Many of my medications require my G.P. to phone for an authority too. These are normally the ones which cannot be supplied on a 2 for 1 basis.

Three heart tablets I have been taking for 25years used to each cost $6.30 for a month supply on the PBS. I just found out that from 1st December it is no longer on the PBS and now each costs me nearly $16.00 for a month supply. I suppose they have to some how pay the GP's.