How to turn an old sideboard into a stunning masterpiece—for less than $50!

If you've ever dismissed the idea of restoring old furniture due to the perceived high cost, this story might just change your mind.

A savvy Australian woman has demonstrated how to breathe new life into a worn-out timber sideboard, and she did it all for less than $50, thanks to Kmart.

The woman, who shared her project online, spent $47 and a few hours of her time transforming the tired piece of furniture into a stunning centrepiece for her home.

The result? A chic, contemporary sideboard that looks like it came straight out of a high-end furniture store.

20240205_090440_0000.png
Before and after photos of the restored furniture using Kmart products. Credit: Facebook

The secret to her success lies in the affordable products from Kmart's Home & Living range.

She used the $3.50 Adhesive Vinyl Roll–Oak Wood, $6 handles, $12 8 Pack Vinyl Floor Tiles–Lisbon, and $10 Decor and Furniture Paint–Chalk Finish Sage to complete her mini-restoration.

The process, she explained, was surprisingly straightforward.

'The top is just the vinyl roll. No machinery was used, just a light sanding pad from Bunnings,' she said.

‘I sanded the surface first, washed the dust off with sugar soap and then used a microfibre cloth to dry it down. Stuck like a gem.’

To add a modern touch, she used the stick-on vinyl floor tiles to cover the glass panels.

The sage green paint provided a fresh, stylish finish that perfectly complemented the oak wood vinyl and tiles.

The transformation was met with a wave of admiration from other Kmart fans.

'Wow! I can’t believe it was under $40 AND that you completed it in a day! So good!' one person responded.

Others were inspired to undertake similar projects, with one person commenting, 'Absolutely beautiful. Great job. I’m now motivated to do something similar with mine.'

‘Oh wow, what a great revamp you have given it,’ a third added.

The colour choices also received high praise, with several people commenting on how well the green paint and stick-on tiles matched.

One person even described the revamped sideboard as 'too beautiful for words'.

Other Kmart shoppers agreed that the Kmart Home Living range was worth it, particularly the chalk paint.

‘How nice is the Kmart paint?! I’ve just been using the pink (my sons are mortified!), and it’s lovely, better than the exxy Bunnings stuff,’ one person said.

The Kmart home DIY range has been a hit with shoppers since its launch, enabling many to undertake cost-effective home renovations.

From restoring furniture to transforming entire rooms, the range has proven that you don't need to spend a fortune to create a stylish, modern home.

As Kmart’s range of renovation products has become the talk of the town, you can also revamp your home with these Kmart renovation essentials—plus, you don’t have to spend a lot!

In a previous story, a Kmart fan shared the transformation of her bathroom, leaving many users breathless. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart shopper successfully transformed an old sideboard into a stunning home feature for less than $50 using Kmart Home & Living range products.
  • The DIY restoration involved a $3.50 Adhesive Vinyl Roll–Oak Wood, $6 handles, $12 8 Pack Vinyl Floor Tiles–Lisbon, and $10 Decor and Furniture Paint–Chalk Finish Sage, as well as a light sanding pad for preparation.
  • The process was simple and involved sanding, cleaning with sugar soap, and applying the vinyl and paint to create a contemporary look without needing professional tools.
  • The revamped sideboard received high praise on social media, with others feeling inspired by the transformation and acknowledging the quality and affordability of Kmart’s DIY range.
Have you ever restored a piece of furniture? What was your experience like? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Lazy way to restore furniture. Try sanding it back and applying an AUTHENTIC antique stain.

I haven't used vinyl adhesive sheeting since I was 12 years of age when I made my first pair of speaker enclosures out of pineboard.

Reactions: DLHM
I wouldn't call this "Antique" it is just a revamp. By the way where are the handles on the top drawer? The roll on stick on wood grain looking contact looks like the stuff I used on one of my cabinets years ago. Good on her for doing it but it is not Antique...
Yeah where are the handles good pickup 🙀

Last edited:
Reactions: KaraJenna
Lazy way to restore furniture. Try sanding it back and applying an AUTHENTIC antique stain.

I haven't used vinyl adhesive sheeting since I was 12 years of age when I made my first pair of speaker enclosures out of pineboard.
Yes I've read that there's chalk paint and then there's chalk paint.

Reactions: Littleboy8