How to set sensible new year's resolutions that you’ll actually stick to

It's that time of year again. New year's resolutions. They're a big part of our culture and they affect us on a personal and societal level. They have an impact on our health, wealth and relationships. Though a great idea in theory, the reality is that they're often abandoned after a few weeks

So, what can you do to set sensible resolutions that you’ll actually stick to? Here are a few tips to help you improve your odds.

shutterstock_2063896715.jpg

1. Make your resolutions specific instead of general

'I want to get fit' is too vague to be a sensible resolution. You need to make it specific. 'I want to lose 2 kilograms and get into a size 10 dress by my birthday' is specific. It's measurable. You know if you have achieved it. It's clear. And it's going to be much more motivating than something more general because you'll have a concrete objective.

Other examples of specific vs. general resolutions are:

General: I want to form a closer relationship with my grandchildren
Specific: I want to spend at least an hour with my grandchildren every week

General: I want to find a way to be happier
Specific: I want to take at least one 30 minute walk every week, where I concentrate on being happy and grateful for everything I have

General: I want to be a better person
Specific: I want to volunteer in an op-shop at least once a month

With very specific resolutions, in 12 months time when you're reflecting on your year, you'll be able to look back and see in very clear terms what you've accomplished.

2. Be realistic

Is your resolution something that you have a reasonable chance of accomplishing, or is it so ambitious that you will never achieve it? If you've been a couch potato for the past 20 years, it's unrealistic to expect to run a marathon. If you've never been able to stick to a diet, it's unrealistic to expect to lose 20 kilograms by the end of January (unless you’re willing to lop off a limb!).

When trying to determine if a resolution is realistic or not, consider:
  • How much time and money it will take
  • How much support you have from your family and friends
  • How much you are going to have to change your behaviour
  • How much time you can dedicate to it
  • How it will fit in with your work and home life
  • How many other things you will have to give up to achieve it
Ambitious goals are laudable, but if they’re unrealistic you’re likely to end up feeling dejected and demotivated.

3. Note down the rationale behind your resolutions

Why do you want to achieve this goal? What will achieving it give you? How will it improve your life? Is it worth the effort? If you don't know the answer to these questions, you won't be motivated enough to stick to your guns. Note down your motives. You can post them somewhere where you will see them every day.

'Why exactly do I want this?’' is a key question to ask yourself before you make a resolution. Be honest. For example, if your resolution is related to fitness, get specific on what your primary objective is. Is it to lose weight? To feel better about yourself? To be healthier? To get in shape for your best friend's wedding?

Knowing your true reasons for wanting something is the key to motivation.

4. Break your goal into smaller, more manageable steps

If your goal is large, it can be overwhelming and too much to handle. If you break it into smaller, more manageable steps, it will be easier to achieve. As we’ve already touched on, the steps you choose should be specific and measurable.

Look at your goal. Ask yourself what you need to do to achieve it. Break that down into smaller steps. For example, if your goal is to lose weight in 2022, your smaller steps might be to:
  • Build an exercise routine that you can stick to
  • Decide on a goal weight that you want to achieve
  • Decide on a time frame / specific deadline for when you want to achieve this goal
  • Work out a clear plan for how you will achieve this goal on a week by week basis
  • Limit alcohol consumption to 2 units per week (alcohol is very calorie dense)
  • Figure out a meal plan
It’s also useful to set specific milestones on the way to your ultimate goal. When you reach one of your milestones, celebrate it! This is important because it will keep you motivated.

5. Record your progress

Keep a record of the journey towards your ultimate objective. As you achieve each step, note it down. For example, if your resolution is to lose 20 kilograms, keep a record of your weight loss each week. If your resolution is to read at least two books a month, make a note every time you start and finish a book so you can see if you're drifting off track.

Keeping track of your progress is important. It encourages you to keep going with your resolutions and it reminds you of the progress you've made. If your resolution is especially ambitious and you're not tracking your progress, you can feel like you're not making any headway.

6. Set up a support system for yourself

Have you ever tried to do something on your own, but you just couldn't stick to it? The more support you have for your resolution, the more likely you are to achieve it. Talk to your family and friends about it. Tell them what you’re trying to achieve and why. They will probably have some great suggestions. And they will be able to help you by encouraging you when you feel like giving up.

They can also help you keep on track by keeping you accountable. For example, if you're trying to lose weight, they can remind you not to eat sweets, cakes, chocolates or biscuits. They can give you good advice when you feel like giving up. And they can help you celebrate when you achieve your milestones.

Finally, remember that resolutions are a journey. It's not a destination, but a process. A journey of personal growth and development, and a learning experience. Don't be disappointed in yourself if you ‘fall off the wagon’ a few times during the year, and don’t be embarrassed about adjusting your goal or your plan for getting there along the way.

It's perfectly okay to change your mind. It's all part of the journey.

Have you set any resolutions for 2022? Share them with us below.

Last edited:
Sponsored