How to get free money in Australia amid rising cost of living expenses

Are you feeling like your day-to-day expenses are creeping up higher and higher? With inflation rising faster than household incomes can keep up, we all could use an extra few bucks saved and added to our budgets.

Fortunately, there are many easy ways to do exactly that. We’ve compiled a list of tips that can help you save more of your hard-earned money.

Tip #1: Loyalty reward cards

Loyalty reward cards or cash back programs have been around for a while, and with the choice of personalised offers and the ability to get cash discounts off your grocery shopping, they can certainly help your wallet.

The base rate of direct cash off your shopping is 2000 points (or $2000 spent) for a $10 discount, though that can quickly add up if you take advantage of bonus points and special offers.

One customer saved up their Everyday Rewards points to do their Christmas food shopping, and saved nearly $200 off the bill!

woolies.jpg
Rewards cards can add up to a lot of money over time. Credit: Woolworths

If you’re sceptical over the benefits, Macquarie University Business School Professor, Jana Bowden, explained that these loyalty programs offer a ‘practical way’ of saving money.

She added that customers should fully acquaint themselves with the perks of the loyalty programs to maximise the benefits.

‘It's all about two things: knowing what you are signing up for, and why the brand is offering the program, as well as knowing how you can use these programs to maximise the value from them,’ she said.

Tip #2: High interest savings accounts and term deposits

Savers have had a rough go these past few years, with savings accounts offering (at best) near-zero interest.

However, things are starting to get better, as some high-interest savings accounts can now get you a return of up to 4.75 per cent per annum.

These accounts may have certain requirements, such as making monthly deposits and/or a certain number of bank transactions, but if you put the time and effort into finding the right one, they can be worth the extra effort.

save1.jpg
Term deposits have been found to be the ‘most attractive’ offer to savers. Credit: Cottonbro studio/Pexels

If you don't mind locking your money away for a while, you can consider term deposits, which offer up to 4.5 per cent in return, in most cases with terms of up to 5 years.

If the average Australian (who has $28,409 in savings, according to comparison website Finder) placed all of that money into both a top-yielding savings account and term deposit, they could make an extra $1,379 annually off the savings account interest, and $,1278 from the term deposit.

However, please note: Member @Maud's brought to our attention that although these interests rates are great and bring a good return each month, that for a pensioner who receives the Age/DVA pension the interests earned via these accounts needs to be declared in your tax returns. So, for example, @Maud's AMP High Earner Account earned her $320 interest in December 2022, which effectively has been reduced by $60.80 in the long term. Although every bit counts, the tax cannot be avoided.

Tip #3: Cashback offers

Most of us are familiar with traditional cashback offers on larger items such as appliances, or occasional discounts on food items. But companies like Cashrewards and Shopback offer cashback from a variety of stores and services, depending on their current offers.

You could save quite a bit over time if you take advantage of these offers, though it’s important to remember that the amount you get back will depend on the store and the offers available at the time.

save2.jpg
Shopback rewards can be substantial. Credit: Shopback

Tip #4: Coupons and sales

Who doesn’t love a good sale? Though, with the modern age decent sales seem to only last for a few hours. Luckily, forums like ourselves and our friends over at OzBargain have your backs here.

Ozbargain is Australia’s largest bargain hunting community and a great way to save money because thousands of users report on flash sales, discounts, and special offers at any given time. We work closely with them to ensure any good sales that we know you would be interested in are also featured on our forum, but if you want to check them out for yourselves, you can click this link.

You may want to act fast, though – some deals are gone in a flash, and retailers' websites crashing due to high traffic is no joke!

When it comes to finding ways to save up, there are plenty of accessible and tried-and-tested strategies that can make a big difference. Some techniques from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) on how to create a household budget include:

1. Gather your financial information, including things like your income, expenses, bills, and bank statements.​
2. List your income. This includes all sources of income, such as your salary, government benefits, and any other sources of income you may have.​
3. List your expenses, including all of your fixed expenses, such as rent or mortgage payments, groceries and entertainment.​
4. Track your spending for a certain period of time, such as a week or a month, in order to get an accurate picture of your spending habits.​
5. Set a specific financial goal that you want to achieve, such as saving for a vacation or paying off debt.​
6. Create a budget plan for how you will manage your money in order to achieve your budget goal.​
7. Stick to your budget, and adjust as needed in order to stay on track.​
Key Takeaways

• Loyalty rewards cards, high-interest savings accounts and term deposits, cashback offers, and coupons and sales are all great ways to save or earn money and help relieve cost of living pressures.
  • Be sure to take advantage of bonus points and rewards whenever possible, and shop around for the best high-interest savings accounts and term deposits to maximise your returns.
  • Also, pay attention to cashback offers and position yourself to take advantage of sales, discounts, and other opportunities. By being patient and vigilant, you can save hundreds of dollars a year.
Oh and don’t forget we will be introducing some very cool features in the next few months to help all of you save more than ever before… So be sure to watch this space!

Members, how do you get the most out of your money? Share your tips and money-saving stories with us in the comments below! We also have more discounts available for you right here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Would be interested to know exactly where these institutions are that offer 4%? And im betting Centrelinj deeming rule has already been inflation adjusted to allow for the higher interest rates- it'd be just awful if recipients could have a small win there wouldn't it (sarcasm)?

Would be interested to know exactly where these institutions are that offer 4%? And im betting Centrelinj deeming rule has already been inflation adjusted to allow for the higher interest rates- it'd be just awful if recipients could have a small win there wouldn't it (sarcasm)?
I am being paid 4% from my bank, so that's where the majority of my money is. I also have a transaction account (2.85%) with a smaller amount always available to pay the bills, etc. You would be wise to do some online research, and change banks if necessary.

Loyalty Reward points are the greatest thing since canned beer, provided you rigidly adhere to a few basic principles:
1. Never take on a Reward program involving an up-front fee; for that matter, never take on a Credit Card with an up-front fee, either.
2. Only spend what you would have spent anyway for the goods/services you actually need; don't "spend-up" to attain a certain level in order to 'qualify' for a points bonus unless you have a realistic prospect of using the goods involved (a) within their shelf-life and (b) without causing grief to your missus!
3. Time your purchases to coincide with whatever bonus points/free delivery offers are going, remembering item 2.
4. Always, (ALWAYS!) pay out the entire balance in your Credit Card, every month, no exceptions.

Notwithstanding that we have no Coles in my town (nearest one is 35km away and is pretty povvo at that), seven years ago I took out a No Annual Fee Coles Mastercard; the variant I took out offers FlyBuy Points at half the accumulation rate of their regular Reward card for which they charge an annual fee. The beauty of this card is that I accrue points for just about everything I pay for, regardless of supplier, while still getting all the bonuses at full rate from Coles and its related companies. Kind of ridiculous, eh, that I can do my routine shopping at the local oh-so-povvo Woolworths (saving myself the time, fuel and wear-and-tear of driving to the nearest Coles 70km round-trip!) and still earn Coles FlyBuys points while simultaneously flashing my Woolies Everyday Rewards card and effectively double-dipping? Oh, yeah... nearly forgot:
5. Keep your points for specific redemptions. In my case, with the FlyBuy Points I redeem every 2000 points to 10 FlyBuy Dollars which I keep in reserve strictly for Shell Coles fuel purchases. Woolies Rewards bonus dollars I keep available strictly for EG Woolworths fuel. Between those two chains, with a little bit of pre-planning I am able to drive from my home in Far North Queensland to my daughter's house in Canberra at no actual cash cost to myself unless I have to divert via towns without either fuel chain. I doubt that I've used more than $50 of 'my own' money for fuel in the past two years!

Loyalty Reward points are the greatest thing since canned beer, provided you rigidly adhere to a few basic principles:
1. Never take on a Reward program involving an up-front fee; for that matter, never take on a Credit Card with an up-front fee, either.
2. Only spend what you would have spent anyway for the goods/services you actually need; don't "spend-up" to attain a certain level in order to 'qualify' for a points bonus unless you have a realistic prospect of using the goods involved (a) within their shelf-life and (b) without causing grief to your missus!
3. Time your purchases to coincide with whatever bonus points/free delivery offers are going, remembering item 2.
4. Always, (ALWAYS!) pay out the entire balance in your Credit Card, every month, no exceptions.

Notwithstanding that we have no Coles in my town (nearest one is 35km away and is pretty povvo at that), seven years ago I took out a No Annual Fee Coles Mastercard; the variant I took out offers FlyBuy Points at half the accumulation rate of their regular Reward card for which they charge an annual fee. The beauty of this card is that I accrue points for just about everything I pay for, regardless of supplier, while still getting all the bonuses at full rate from Coles and its related companies. Kind of ridiculous, eh, that I can do my routine shopping at the local oh-so-povvo Woolworths (saving myself the time, fuel and wear-and-tear of driving to the nearest Coles 70km round-trip!) and still earn Coles FlyBuys points while simultaneously flashing my Woolies Everyday Rewards card and effectively double-dipping? Oh, yeah... nearly forgot:
5. Keep your points for specific redemptions. In my case, with the FlyBuy Points I redeem every 2000 points to 10 FlyBuy Dollars which I keep in reserve strictly for Shell Coles fuel purchases. Woolies Rewards bonus dollars I keep available strictly for EG Woolworths fuel. Between those two chains, with a little bit of pre-planning I am able to drive from my home in Far North Queensland to my daughter's house in Canberra at no actual cash cost to myself unless I have to divert via towns without either fuel chain. I doubt that I've used more than $50 of 'my own' money for fuel in the past two years!
Using these programs wisely as you do is worthwhile having them. It is important to understand these programs to be able to make the most of them. I like them regardless of them being about data collecting. Your data will be collected somehow these days.

Reactions: Ezzy and Zoya
@Cheezil There are a few options... The most attractive seems to be https://www.macquarie.com.au/everyday-banking/campaign/savings-account.html

A 4.5% welcome rate for 4 months, which then reverts to 3.7% (at which point, I'd consider shopping around for another introductory offer).

@Suzanne rose $40,000 should be earning you around $1800 interest annually at that 4.5% rate, so it's definitely worth shopping around!

Note we have no affiliation with Macquarie Bank - you should definitely do your own research and not take this as financial advice :)

Reactions: Ezzy
Hi all! Just wanted to jump in here because member @Maud's commented a really good point which I have since put in the article above:

'However, please note: Member @Maud's brought to our attention that although these interests rates are great and bring a good return each month, that for a pensioner who receives the Age/DVA pension the interests earned via these accounts needs to be declared in your tax returns. So, for example, @Maud's AMP High Earner Account earned her $320 interest in December 2022, which effectively has been reduced by $60.80 in the long term. Although every bit counts, the tax cannot be avoided.'

Like I have said, every bit does count but do take note that it isn't tax free!

Woolworth's 'EXTRA' Rewards cost $59.00 per year. It's Woolworths new program that started about 2 years ago and cost either $7 per month or $59 Annual Yearly fees. The first month (30 days are free) and they then debit the card. You get automatically 3x the points for every dollar spent. They also send emails/phone messages for 'extra' benefits like 10x points when you spend $150 - $200 or more and they provide a time-frame. So, it's a one off, but you wait for the next email for extra points on things like fruit & veggies, milk, cheese ... etc. Plus, you get one free item once a month 'totally free' and they send you the email/message and all you have to do for each email/message is press (select) BOOST... so that you have confirmed and BOOSTED. The same for the free item, just BOOST. I collected a Dare flavoured milk yesterday 500ml. Normally $3.70 and it was totally free. You scan your Rewards Card when at the checkout. Use the checkout person when doing your shopping. There is also a Plus $$$ as well. You get 10% Off as well to your shopping which is once a month (limit 10% Discount is $50, which is 10% on $500 shopping spend). So, wait until your big shop, the specials that you use, get the 5x - 10x as well. You will get even more $10 Vouchers coming through. Plus... yes, another plus. You also get 10% Off Big W as well. Separate 10% Off once a month. Plus, can extra points via Big W. People can get $600 Saved at Woolworths & $600 Saved at Big W once a year. If there are a couple, worth both signing up for each to have a Woolworths Rewards card and then signing up for the Extra Rewards membership and also pay the $59 Annual fee. Then the couple can each save up to $600 a year at Woolworths alone. Each get the extras points, plus shop smart by waiting for the specials that they both buy and instead of only once a month, they have a back-up on a second sign-up and get the specials plus an extra 10% Off once a month, plus the extra perks. Here is the link below:

If you
Are you feeling like your day-to-day expenses are creeping up higher and higher? With inflation rising faster than household incomes can keep up, we all could use an extra few bucks saved and added to our budgets.

Fortunately, there are many easy ways to do exactly that. We’ve compiled a list of tips that can help you save more of your hard-earned money.

Tip #1: Loyalty reward cards

Loyalty reward cards or cash back programs have been around for a while, and with the choice of personalised offers and the ability to get cash discounts off your grocery shopping, they can certainly help your wallet.

The base rate of direct cash off your shopping is 2000 points (or $2000 spent) for a $10 discount, though that can quickly add up if you take advantage of bonus points and special offers.

One customer saved up their Everyday Rewards points to do their Christmas food shopping, and saved nearly $200 off the bill!

View attachment 11774
Rewards cards can add up to a lot of money over time. Credit: Woolworths

If you’re sceptical over the benefits, Macquarie University Business School Professor, Jana Bowden, explained that these loyalty programs offer a ‘practical way’ of saving money.

She added that customers should fully acquaint themselves with the perks of the loyalty programs to maximise the benefits.

‘It's all about two things: knowing what you are signing up for, and why the brand is offering the program, as well as knowing how you can use these programs to maximise the value from them,’ she said.

Tip #2: High interest savings accounts and term deposits

Savers have had a rough go these past few years, with savings accounts offering (at best) near-zero interest.

However, things are starting to get better, as some high-interest savings accounts can now get you a return of up to 4.75 per cent per annum.

These accounts may have certain requirements, such as making monthly deposits and/or a certain number of bank transactions, but if you put the time and effort into finding the right one, they can be worth the extra effort.

View attachment 11772
Term deposits have been found to be the ‘most attractive’ offer to savers. Credit: Cottonbro studio/Pexels

If you don't mind locking your money away for a while, you can consider term deposits, which offer up to 4.5 per cent in return, in most cases with terms of up to 5 years.

If the average Australian (who has $28,409 in savings, according to comparison website Finder) placed all of that money into both a top-yielding savings account and term deposit, they could make an extra $1,379 annually off the savings account interest, and $,1278 from the term deposit.

However, please note: Member @Maud's brought to our attention that although these interests rates are great and bring a good return each month, that for a pensioner who receives the Age/DVA pension the interests earned via these accounts needs to be declared in your tax returns. So, for example, @Maud's AMP High Earner Account earned her $320 interest in December 2022, which effectively has been reduced by $60.80 in the long term. Although every bit counts, the tax cannot be avoided.

Tip #3: Cashback offers

Most of us are familiar with traditional cashback offers on larger items such as appliances, or occasional discounts on food items. But companies like Cashrewards and Shopback offer cashback from a variety of stores and services, depending on their current offers.

You could save quite a bit over time if you take advantage of these offers, though it’s important to remember that the amount you get back will depend on the store and the offers available at the time.

View attachment 11773
Shopback rewards can be substantial. Credit: Shopback

Tip #4: Coupons and sales

Who doesn’t love a good sale? Though, with the modern age decent sales seem to only last for a few hours. Luckily, forums like ourselves and our friends over at OzBargain have your backs here.

Ozbargain is Australia’s largest bargain hunting community and a great way to save money because thousands of users report on flash sales, discounts, and special offers at any given time. We work closely with them to ensure any good sales that we know you would be interested in are also featured on our forum, but if you want to check them out for yourselves, you can click this link.

You may want to act fast, though – some deals are gone in a flash, and retailers' websites crashing due to high traffic is no joke!

When it comes to finding ways to save up, there are plenty of accessible and tried-and-tested strategies that can make a big difference. Some techniques from the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) on how to create a household budget include:

1. Gather your financial information, including things like your income, expenses, bills, and bank statements.​
2. List your income. This includes all sources of income, such as your salary, government benefits, and any other sources of income you may have.​
3. List your expenses, including all of your fixed expenses, such as rent or mortgage payments, groceries and entertainment.​
4. Track your spending for a certain period of time, such as a week or a month, in order to get an accurate picture of your spending habits.​
5. Set a specific financial goal that you want to achieve, such as saving for a vacation or paying off debt.​
6. Create a budget plan for how you will manage your money in order to achieve your budget goal.​
7. Stick to your budget, and adjust as needed in order to stay on track.​
Key Takeaways

• Loyalty rewards cards, high-interest savings accounts and term deposits, cashback offers, and coupons and sales are all great ways to save or earn money and help relieve cost of living pressures.
  • Be sure to take advantage of bonus points and rewards whenever possible, and shop around for the best high-interest savings accounts and term deposits to maximise your returns.
  • Also, pay attention to cashback offers and position yourself to take advantage of sales, discounts, and other opportunities. By being patient and vigilant, you can save hundreds of dollars a year.
Oh and don’t forget we will be introducing some very cool features in the next few months to help all of you save more than ever before… So be sure to watch this space!

Members, how do you get the most out of your money? Share your tips and money-saving stories with us in the comments below! We also have more discounts available for you right here!
like to go to a Village cinema, make sure you have a loyalty card (VRewards) and your Seniors' card. The two of those will get you your cheapest possible ticket. You can even get into Gold Class for $25 on a normal weekday before 5pm. It's a much better deal than if you want to use a concession or pension card