How to get a $5 haircut EVERY time: Frugal Aussie reveals her secret

This frugal woman has found the secret to getting cheap haircuts and colours - and it only costs her $5!

Sydney woman Claudia, 49, has shared how she's been scoring cheap haircuts and salon treatments for the past 20 years.

Her secret? She's been going to her local TAFE at Liverpool, NSW to get her hair done.

Claudia said that it saves her hundreds of dollars compared to getting her hair done at a professional salon.

"It's like my backup plan for when I don't have much money, and it's quite fun to do it and often introduces you to new things," the 49-year-old said.

Claudia claimed that recently got half a head of foils, a style cut, and a treatment for just $20 at her Tafe - a service that would have cost her upwards of $250 at a professional salon.

If you're looking to save some money on your haircuts, this could be the way to go!

b2RCTOieePqYGdkhTV3hy-70w-I4_ygOby3Euqti5xUY1miivkYuljsK3Gn2-J9HXizQdxGYPx6vpMN7lTKfsRDekwEu-9joc3XvnZXaNhiKYMNx3UkNRDavek8ta_7cayaUmOgpfLQidOHe

Claudia revealed that she had been scoring $5 from her local TAFE Institute. Credit: The Daily Mail.

For those of you who are looking to give this tip a go, Claudia said that there's one thing that you should remember: you need to have a more flexible schedule as the haircut and other treatments can only be done during class time.

Nonetheless, the 49-year-old said that she has always felt confident with the hairstyle that she's sporting after getting her TAFE haircut, noting that the students always deliver the desired result in the "same amount of time as the hairdressers at most expensive salons".

She explained: "I call and tell them what I'd like to have done, and they'll say something like, 'We do cuts and foils on a Tuesday, so you could come on that day next week."

Meanwhile, if you're looking for other beauty treatments or are just looking to pamper yourself on a budget, Claudia recommends looking no further than your local TAFE institute!

The 49-year-old shared the price list from the Liverpool institute, showing the rates of the services including men's haircuts, which are available for just $2, full-body massages for $10, and waxing for $5.

Brow and lash tinting and shaping are also offered for $15 - a steal compared to what you'd pay at a retail store.

Acrylic nails are also available for just $5, and you can enjoy an advanced 90-minute facial for just $30.

2JxdqZO63ealmBghhir8iYphD9UtN1j1lMmH40dyKNmkLt2X_1XnXpEqWGn_IVoOVJOx4QTw3zg73n0A26UqH5ucsQF7YAl4yVXGwI8dLMuXuLssIpsCgTtlVlTUQf8nY6FnAIo1942R26OD

The price list for the services offered at the Liverpool TAFE Institute. Credit: The Daily Mail.

TAFE campuses around the country have similar deals, so be sure to check out your local institute next time you're in need of beauty treatment! Not sure where your closest TAFE is? Check this link to find out. We recommend calling ahead to see if you can obtain a pricelist.

Will you be giving this tip a go? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
This frugal woman has found the secret to getting cheap haircuts and colours - and it only costs her $5!

Sydney woman Claudia, 49, has shared how she's been scoring cheap haircuts and salon treatments for the past 20 years.

Her secret? She's been going to her local TAFE at Liverpool, NSW to get her hair done.

Claudia said that it saves her hundreds of dollars compared to getting her hair done at a professional salon.

"It's like my backup plan for when I don't have much money, and it's quite fun to do it and often introduces you to new things," the 49-year-old said.

Claudia claimed that recently got half a head of foils, a style cut, and a treatment for just $20 at her Tafe - a service that would have cost her upwards of $250 at a professional salon.

If you're looking to save some money on your haircuts, this could be the way to go!

b2RCTOieePqYGdkhTV3hy-70w-I4_ygOby3Euqti5xUY1miivkYuljsK3Gn2-J9HXizQdxGYPx6vpMN7lTKfsRDekwEu-9joc3XvnZXaNhiKYMNx3UkNRDavek8ta_7cayaUmOgpfLQidOHe

Claudia revealed that she had been scoring $5 from her local TAFE Institute. Credit: The Daily Mail.

For those of you who are looking to give this tip a go, Claudia said that there's one thing that you should remember: you need to have a more flexible schedule as the haircut and other treatments can only be done during class time.

Nonetheless, the 49-year-old said that she has always felt confident with the hairstyle that she's sporting after getting her TAFE haircut, noting that the students always deliver the desired result in the "same amount of time as the hairdressers at most expensive salons".

She explained: "I call and tell them what I'd like to have done, and they'll say something like, 'We do cuts and foils on a Tuesday, so you could come on that day next week."

Meanwhile, if you're looking for other beauty treatments or are just looking to pamper yourself on a budget, Claudia recommends looking no further than your local TAFE institute!

The 49-year-old shared the price list from the Liverpool institute, showing the rates of the services including men's haircuts, which are available for just $2, full-body massages for $10, and waxing for $5.

Brow and lash tinting and shaping are also offered for $15 - a steal compared to what you'd pay at a retail store.

Acrylic nails are also available for just $5, and you can enjoy an advanced 90-minute facial for just $30.

2JxdqZO63ealmBghhir8iYphD9UtN1j1lMmH40dyKNmkLt2X_1XnXpEqWGn_IVoOVJOx4QTw3zg73n0A26UqH5ucsQF7YAl4yVXGwI8dLMuXuLssIpsCgTtlVlTUQf8nY6FnAIo1942R26OD

The price list for the services offered at the Liverpool TAFE Institute. Credit: The Daily Mail.

TAFE campuses around the country have similar deals, so be sure to check out your local institute next time you're in need of beauty treatment! Not sure where your closest TAFE is? Check this link to find out. We recommend calling ahead to see if you can obtain a pricelist.

Will you be giving this tip a go? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
I have been going to the Gordon in Geelong for many years for waxing, massage and other beauty treatments, so much cheaper and it gives the students someone to practice on. All students a fully supervised and while they may take a bit longer it's worth the visit.

When we lived in Perth we used to go to the Perth Dental Hospital and have the students (under supervision) look after our family's teeth. We also used TAFE student run restaurant for meals out at the Campus. Haircuts were a steal and so was my dog grooming, all done by students under supervision. Ok, sometimes the dogs came home looking a bit wonky but as the difference between a bad haircut and a good one is said to be two weeks who worries, the dogs certainly weren't complaining!!:):)

Wow, its more expensive in Perth. My normal hair salon charges $35 and the closest hair school charges $25. Not such a savings. The worst thing is men's cuts are $5 incl beard but women's cuts are FIVE times more. My hair is easier to cut than many men's cuts but because I don't have a penis, I get charged five times more. And sadly it's women charging other women the inflated prices. Soo unfair.

Not in Western Australia. The prices are barely comparable to the local shopping centre haircuts on normal days. I can get a haircut for $27 from a fully qualified hairdresser without having to book or never wait more than 20minutes, and pick up some shopping too.

Attachments

• Murdoch Tafe.png
    Murdoch Tafe.png
    331.8 KB · Views: 9
When we lived in Perth we used to go to the Perth Dental Hospital and have the students (under supervision) look after our family's teeth. We also used TAFE student run restaurant for meals out at the Campus. Haircuts were a steal and so was my dog grooming, all done by students under supervision. Ok, sometimes the dogs came home looking a bit wonky but as the difference between a bad haircut and a good one is said to be two weeks who worries, the dogs certainly weren't complaining!!:):)
Where is Dental Hospital in Perth?

Reactions: Ricci
Not sure if it's still there but it used to be quite close to the Cathedral, just down from RPH. I haven't live in the west for 10 years now and a lot can change in that time.
Yes! It’s not there now.. have to call health Dept now & get referral to a Dentist at a cheaper cost however not very cheap.. I think it’s 10% off
Thank you!

• Sad
Not in Western Australia. The prices are barely comparable to the local shopping centre haircuts on normal days. I can get a haircut for $27 from a fully qualified hairdresser without having to book or never wait more than 20minutes, and pick up some shopping together
Not in Western Australia. The prices are barely comparable to the local shopping centre haircuts on normal days. I can get a haircut for $27 from a fully qualified hairdresser without having to book or never wait more than 20minutes, and pick up some shopping too.
I get mine done for $5 at TAFE & sometimes TAFE or a salon needs model then it’s free..

That idea has been around for years for the people whose time fits in beautifully to help the scholars in training. After all they need to train on someone don't they? I think it's a wonderful idea. Helps on both sides of the coin. During WW2 I had mine done in the City @ the Academy. I was SO pleased everytime.

Great idea. This has been available for ages at different TAFEs but I had forgotten about it.
Will be finding my closest TAFE.
Mmm wonder what the equivalent is in other States.

Reactions: Jennylolo and Ricci