How ordinary farmers turned a lottery ticket into a $10 million retirement fund

In life, the certainty of hard work and its uncertain rewards is a universal truth.

This was the reality for an industrious Australian couple from Orange, NSW, who believed they would never see the day of their retirement.

However, fate had a different plan, and their lives took an extraordinary turn when they hit the jackpot in the Oz Lotto draw.

The elderly couple, who have spent their lives working the land, became multi-millionaires overnight.

The wife held the only division one winning entry in Tuesday night’s Oz Lotto draw, securing a life-changing $10 million prize for herself and her husband.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 082849.png
Farmers who thought they’d ‘never retire’ won a $10 million prize at Oz Lotto. Image: The Lott

Upon receiving the call from The Lott officials, the woman said she was in disbelief.

'Are you serious? Are you actually serious? This isn’t a scam, is it?' she exclaimed. 'What a dream come true! I can’t stop crying, I’m sorry.’.

The couple, who had been toiling away on their farm, had been facing the prospect of an uncertain retirement.

'We’re farmers, and my husband is at retirement age, and we thought we could never retire,' the overjoyed winner shared.

'I can’t wait to get off the phone and visit my husband, who is working away in our shed…You don’t know how much this means to us.'

The couple's previous lottery winnings had been modest at best, with their highest win being a mere $12. The idea of winning $10 million was beyond their wildest dreams.

'We have many bills to pay off, and this will make things so much easier for our family, especially our children. Thank you so much,' she said.

The winning 12-game QuickPick ticket was purchased online at The Lott. The winning numbers in Oz Lotto draw 1561 on Tuesday, 16 January, were 17, 37, 4, 29, 9, 24 and 47, while the supplementary numbers were 20, 27 and 14.

The Oz Lotto has been making headlines recently with its soaring jackpots. Last month, the jackpot reached an unprecedented $90 million, with three fortunate Aussies claiming a share.

The Boxing Day draw had escalated to $90 million after $70 million went unclaimed the previous week.

This marked the first time in over 14 years that the Oz Lotto jackpot had reached such a staggering figure.

In the meantime, the Powerball draw has hit a jackpot of $100 million—the equal fifth-biggest in Australian history.

Financial experts advise that the best way to secure a comfortable retirement is through disciplined saving, wise investments, and a diversified portfolio.

This includes contributing regularly to superannuation funds, investing in real estate or stocks, and maintaining an emergency fund so you won’t end up like these other lotto winners who ‘lost it all’.

However, for those who enjoy the thrill of the game, participating in lotteries can be a fun pastime with other people playing and having incredible lifestyles.

Just remember to play responsibly!

Key Takeaways
  • An elderly couple from Orange, NSW, have become Australia's newest multi-millionaires, winning $10 million in the Oz Lotto jackpot.
  • The woman was overwhelmed with emotion upon learning of their win, highlighting how the windfall would change their retirement plans.
  • They had previously only won a minor amount in the lottery and had many bills to pay, making their substantial win even more impactful for their family.
  • Their winning 12-game QuickPick ticket was purchased online, and the win came as the Oz Lotto jackpot, and Powerball reached significant figures, with Powerball hitting a $100 million jackpot.

Have you ever dreamed of winning the lottery? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
In life, the certainty of hard work and its uncertain rewards is a universal truth.

This was the reality for an industrious Australian couple from Orange, NSW, who believed they would never see the day of their retirement.

However, fate had a different plan, and their lives took an extraordinary turn when they hit the jackpot in the Oz Lotto draw.

The elderly couple, who have spent their lives working the land, became multi-millionaires overnight.

The wife held the only division one winning entry in Tuesday night’s Oz Lotto draw, securing a life-changing $10 million prize for herself and her husband.

View attachment 39448
Farmers who thought they’d ‘never retire’ won a $10 million prize at Oz Lotto. Image: The Lott

Upon receiving the call from The Lott officials, the woman said she was in disbelief.

'Are you serious? Are you actually serious? This isn’t a scam, is it?' she exclaimed. 'What a dream come true! I can’t stop crying, I’m sorry.’.

The couple, who had been toiling away on their farm, had been facing the prospect of an uncertain retirement.

'We’re farmers, and my husband is at retirement age, and we thought we could never retire,' the overjoyed winner shared.

'I can’t wait to get off the phone and visit my husband, who is working away in our shed…You don’t know how much this means to us.'

The couple's previous lottery winnings had been modest at best, with their highest win being a mere $12. The idea of winning $10 million was beyond their wildest dreams.

'We have many bills to pay off, and this will make things so much easier for our family, especially our children. Thank you so much,' she said.

The winning 12-game QuickPick ticket was purchased online at The Lott. The winning numbers in Oz Lotto draw 1561 on Tuesday, 16 January, were 17, 37, 4, 29, 9, 24 and 47, while the supplementary numbers were 20, 27 and 14.

The Oz Lotto has been making headlines recently with its soaring jackpots. Last month, the jackpot reached an unprecedented $90 million, with three fortunate Aussies claiming a share.

The Boxing Day draw had escalated to $90 million after $70 million went unclaimed the previous week.

This marked the first time in over 14 years that the Oz Lotto jackpot had reached such a staggering figure.

In the meantime, the Powerball draw has hit a jackpot of $100 million—the equal fifth-biggest in Australian history.

Financial experts advise that the best way to secure a comfortable retirement is through disciplined saving, wise investments, and a diversified portfolio.

This includes contributing regularly to superannuation funds, investing in real estate or stocks, and maintaining an emergency fund so you won’t end up like these other lotto winners who ‘lost it all’.

However, for those who enjoy the thrill of the game, participating in lotteries can be a fun pastime with other people playing and having incredible lifestyles.

Key Takeaways

• An elderly couple from Orange, NSW, have become Australia's newest multi-millionaires, winning $10 million in the Oz Lotto jackpot.
  • The woman was overwhelmed with emotion upon learning of their win, highlighting how the windfall would change their retirement plans.
  • They had previously only won a minor amount in the lottery and had many bills to pay, making their substantial win even more impactful for their family.
  • Their winning 12-game QuickPick ticket was purchased online, and the win came as the Oz Lotto jackpot, and Powerball reached significant figures, with Powerball hitting a $100 million jackpot.

Have you ever dreamed of winning the lottery? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.
😮 good luck to them they sound like they deserve it.😊

NEVER EVER PUBLICISE THAT YOU HAVE WON MONEY. EVERY RELATIVE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN FOR YEARS WILL COME CALLING, EVERY CHARITY WILL HAVE THEIR HAND OUT AND ALL THE CON-ARTISTS AND SCAMMERS WILL BE TRYING TO GET SOME. GREED IS SO PATHETIC.

My son's ex partner won a substantial amount when she was in her early twenties.
Her father hassled her to pay out his mortgage. Wouldn't let up on her until she did It was about 75% of what she won.
Some four weeks later he went out and bought himself a Jaguar sports car using the house as security for the loan.
Great when your own father scams you.
Money brings out the worst in people.

So pleased for you may you be guided to use it wisely but don't forget after all those years of hard work you deserve something wonderful for yourselves. Helping your family is wonderful but only to a certain degree they need to stand on their own feet and not drain you.

View attachment 39448

Key Takeaways

So happy for them - wonderful news - farmers do it really tough 🥰😍💖

View attachment 39448

Key Takeaways

Not in a Hoping Hell. I have been trying for 35 Years . From Soccer Pools RSL Mater and Most Lotto Draws to NoAvail. Every Year I say this is the Year but Still Nothing

Good on them. If I win a lottery with millions, I don't have to worry about family members. I have 1 daughter and no other family. My daughter lives with me. We will donate to animal charities and go on a long holiday. ♥

Reactions: Jarred Santos

View attachment 39448

'Are you serious? Are you inactually serious? This isn’t a scam, is it?' she exclaimed. 'What a dream come true! I can’t stop crying, I’m sorry.’.

Key Takeaways

Fantastic Win, nobody deserves it more.l How wonderful for you both to be Debt free after all of the years were you have been behind the 8 ball. Absolutely thrilled for you both. Congratulations.

Reactions: Leenie
Good on them. If I win a lottery with millions, I don't have to worry about family members. I have 1 daughter and no other family. My daughter lives with me. We will donate to animal charities and go on a long holiday. ♥
Thank you for your quote, it was very timely for me.
We all need encouragement at some time in our lives 😄

Not in a Hoping Hell. I have been trying for 35 Years . From Soccer Pools RSL Mater and Most Lotto Draws to NoAvail. Every Year I say this is the Year but Still Nothing
Me too - been playing it since it first start & I also buy 2x $5 & 5x $2 Lottery tickets each week and the highest amount I've ever won has been under $50. and that's only once in a blue moon. I forget how many times I've told myself "If I don't win this time, it's the last time." But next week comes around and I buy them again. As my mum use to say "You've Got To Be In It To Win It. But I'm always very happy for the people who do win it.

My son's ex partner won a substantial amount when she was in her early twenties.
Her father hassled her to pay out his mortgage. Wouldn't let up on her until she did It was about 75% of what she won.
Some four weeks later he went out and bought himself a Jaguar sports car using the house as security for the loan.
I would have chopped him off at the knees, what a piece of work no one deserves a parent like that. I hope you disowned him .

Reactions: Littleboy8
Join the rest of us who have also been trying , .

Should have made sure her name was on the deed.