Ever wondered how Aussie lotto winners live? Take a peek at their incredible lifestyle!

We know that winning the lottery is a long-held dream for many. But have you ever wondered what life would be like if that dream became a reality? Well, wonder no more! Today, we're taking a closer look at the life of an Aussie lotto winner and the changes their new fortune has brought.

In 2019, Cliff Little, a former disability worker from Cairns, North Queensland, had his life transformed overnight when he won the massive $40 million Powerball jackpot. The windfall allowed him to retire from his job and embark on a fascinating and exciting lifestyle.

compressed-shutterstock_2149098085.jpeg
With his newfound wealth, Cliff quickly embraced a more exciting lifestyle. Image from shutterstock

Talking to 9 News, Mr Little recalls the thrilling moment he realised he had the winning lottery numbers.

'When I see them come up – 1, 2, 3, 12, 20 – I said, “I'm getting more than my money back,”’ he explained. When he received the life-changing call from Lotto confirming his win, he was in complete disbelief. ‘I couldn't go back to sleep.’

Cliff wasted no time in using his newfound wealth to make his life more exciting. Passionate about horse racing, he used some of his fortune to become a racehorse owner, purchasing several racehorses. Mr Little revealed that his new life in horse racing is nothing short of ‘exciting’.

‘Money is great,’ he said. 'But it's only of secondary importance when you see the cups.' He explained that although the lottery is based on chance, horse racing involves strategy and planning, with the trainer preparing the horse and the jockey ready to give their best, which adds to the excitement.

compressed-1b6a5549bc6dad9b069d3edd42411d74.jpeg
Cliff Little, accompanied by Peter Rowe, a local trainer in Cairns. Cliff Little, who has amassed a significant fortune, has made substantial investments in the horse racing industry. Source: Heather York on Facebook.

One of Mr Little's investments, a two-year-old colt named Cifrado from Toowoomba, has proved to be a wise purchase, earning over $880,000 in career winnings so far.

The talented horse is expected to take part in the prestigious $1 million JJ Atkins Plate at Eagle Farm.

Besides being active in horse racing, Cliff Little has also made philanthropic efforts within the sport.

In 2021, he made a generous $20,000 donation to the Cairns Turf Club and Cairns Jockey Club to help create more interest in racing. 'Extra prize money brings good horses and is an added attraction for racegoers,' he said. 'Anything we can do to promote local racing is good.'

If you find lottery success stories like this inspiring, you may want to explore these other tales of lottery winners:
Additionally, if you have any old lottery tickets lying around, it's worth checking them, as there is currently prize money totalling nearly $16 million waiting to be claimed! You can read more about it here.

Key Takeaways
  • A North Queensland man, Cliff Little, won the $40 million Powerball jackpot in 2019 and offered a glimpse into his life as a major lotto winner.
  • Mr Little has spent some of his new fortune on racehorses, one of which has earned over $880,000 in career earnings.
  • The former disability worker retired immediately after winning and embraced the excitement of racehorse ownership.
  • In 2021, Mr Little donated $20,000 to the Cairns Turf Club and the Cairns Jockey Club to promote local racing.

Winning the lottery has undeniably transformed Mr Little's life, enabling him to wholeheartedly pursue his passions.

Members, have you ever imagined what you would do if you won the lottery? If you were to win one, what would be your first purchase? Let us know!

Reactions: Liag and Jo Piper3
Sponsored
I’d buy my three children a nice, spacious home (not lavish and overly expensive), give them enough money to live a life without any financial worry, keep a reasonable amount for myself - then probably most of the balance would go to charity on a yearly basis for as long as possible. Of course this is if I had that lucky man’s 100 million!!! After all we cannot take it with us so might as well help the less fortunate.

I hope he uses it wisely and does not go overboard buying, buying, buying just because he now can.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
Firstly I would finally retire. I would pay off my children’s mortgages, buy a house or unit for my sister who lives in a shed, then if I had enough I would give some to my extended family members and donate some to charity.

Reactions: epowley