How one Coles customer's $72 fiasco reveals disturbing truth you need to know!

As we navigate the aisles of our local supermarkets, many of us are acutely aware of the rising cost of living, particularly when it comes to our weekly grocery shop.

Many Australians have discussed this topic, especially those who remember when the dollar stretched much further than it does today.

The recent experience of a Melbourne woman has brought this issue into sharp focus, sparking a conversation about the value we get from our grocery spend.

The woman in question was left bewildered after a shopping trip to Coles, where she picked up a mere eight items, including everyday essentials like cottage cheese, deodorant, and eggs, and found herself parting with $72.

To add to her dismay, a subsequent trip to ALDI saw her trolley brimming with goods for just $100 more, a contrast that left her feeling short-changed by the mainstream supermarket.

‘I just feel ripped off shopping at Coles and Woolies when it's a shock how far $100 can get you, which isn't far at all,’ she said.

1719795645554.png
A Melbourne Coles shopper expressed her frustration at the higher costs compared to what she found at ALDI. Credit: @alondra_g23_ / TikTok

‘Someone make it make sense ... how an extra hundred dollars is the equivalent to food for two weeks from ALDI versus eight items ... from Coles.’

This incident isn't just a one-off grumble but echoes a nationwide sentiment.

A recent consumer advocacy group CHOICE survey revealed that ALDI was approximately 25 per cent cheaper than its competitors, Coles and Woolworths.

The survey sent mystery shoppers to 81 supermarkets to compare prices, and ALDI emerged as the 'clear leader on value for money' with a significantly cheaper basket of goods.

In response to the outcry over high prices, Coles has defended its pricing strategy.

‘Coles offers a wide range of product choices for our customers, including affordable own brand essentials, premium selections, and a range of popular brands,’ a Coles spokesperson said.

Yet, Coles and Woolworths' defence, both of which have been under fire for perceived price gouging, seems to be ignored by consumers feeling the pinch.

Woolworths has argued that for every $100 of revenue, it only nets $3.60, and further reducing prices would cut into already slim profits, offering customers a mere $5 savings per week.

Coles similarly cited a modest net profit of $2.57 per $100.

Both supermarkets attribute the surging prices to a confluence of external factors, including rising costs in commodities, shipping, oil, and fertiliser, as well as the impacts of global conflict and natural disasters.

Economist Stephen Koukoulas acknowledged customers' frustration but suggested that passing on some price increases is rational.

‘They're an easy target because we all go to the supermarket every week,’ he said.

‘But when they’re paying a higher price for opening the doors of their supermarket every morning, passing on some of the price increases is largely a fair and reasonable thing to do.’

Similarly, an ALDI shopper discovered substantial savings by switching from Woolworths to ALDI, potentially saving up to $1000 annually.

Although not a substantial amount per shopping trip, these incremental savings accumulate to a significant yearly sum for loyal ALDI customers. Learn more about this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne Coles shopper expressed her frustration at the cost of her small grocery haul, feeling ripped off compared to the value she found shopping at ALDI.
  • The woman compared her $72 Coles receipt for eight items with her approximately $100 ALDI shop that fetched a trolley full of goods.
  • A Coles spokesperson highlighted that it might not be a 'like-for-like' comparison and mentioned the variety of products.
  • Coles and Woolworths are facing criticism over high prices, but they claim slim profit margins and point to external factors.
Have you noticed a substantial difference in your grocery bills depending on where you shop? Do you have tips for stretching your dollar further without compromising on quality? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
They need to check the quality of Fruit at Aldi especially if you buy pre-packed. You will be lucky if at least one item doesn't need to go in green waste. I have witnessed fruit being unpacked a few times. Some of their loose isn't that fresh either. A lot of their generic brand products could originate from overseas. Some are just labelled packed in Australia. The product may have come from overseas in bulk and been packed here.
Lies, lies and more unmitigated lies. It is well-known that ALDI stocks more Aussie products than the other two, and they treat the farmers better too. You have obviously never checked the origins of the food they sell ... yes some are from overseas (like the two majors), but more are Australian.

Reactions: June E
Aldi does have a "generic" (home brand). I can't remember the brand name though. When I see it again I will recognize it unless have cancelled it.
They actually don't. Their Blackstone snacks are made by Red Rock, their Belmont biscuits are Arnotts, one of their ranges of frozen pies are Herbert Adams and the list goes on.

Reactions: June E
Fair comment by "Singomate'. "Wot" one has to take into consideration by all supermarkets, & i.e., Their electricity bills to run all their freezers which are opened up a ""Mill" times a day letting out the coldness incl., all of the refrigeration along with all of their lighting. The wages they pay their staff. Sick leave & holiday pay plus loading to staff. Sick leave & all of the superannuation they have to account for their staff as well. When that is all added up, "Wot" then is the total cost. That's all before the cost of the produce which has to be purchased by the supermarkets before it is stored & shelved for us to buy.

When the "BIG" picture is looked at, there is an almighty cost to the companies involved.

I, for one don't complain abt prices, I just keep looking for the specials & best buys. Sometimes one just has to do a bit of leg & foot work. Also, it's keeping people employed which is the ultimate equation.
Some of what was sold as Hogget (sheep were older) and cheaper is now sold as lamb. A lot of people don't realize is that most meat (including lamb) is delivered in bulk to the supermarkets, cut up, weighed and packed by qualified butchers. The staff put the brand stickers on the packaging. I worked for a wholesale distributor for 40 years, We posted rolls of big name brand stickers to the independently owned supermarkets.

I hardly shop at Aldi, they do not sell the products that I buy.
Were is all there Gluten Free Wheat Free, that I buy, they hardly have any of those things.
You people need to look at the big picture, do you only want to eat what Aldi sells, well then I would be staving. Were is there Plant based Food that I eat a lot of.
Also you have to pack your shopping.
I also stock up on specials which saves me a lot of money.
And you never get any Rewards from shopping at Aldi, you might pay a bit more but it is worth it to be able to have choices at what you have buy.
I rest my Case.
Unfortunately people with Coelic Disease or wheat allergy are finding it much harder to find food they can eat and it is a lot more expensive too. e.g. even cheap brand bread is about $3.00 dearer per loaf + it is a smaller loaf which makes it even more expensive. Also you have to keep checking labels as a lot are now changing ingredients or using machinery that is also used to pack food with gluten in it. Not all companies clean their equipment thoroughly. For food labelled gluten free it has to undergo testing which costs a fortune. Some food is gluten free by ingredient but they aren't allowed to put that on labels. During the time supermarkets increased Gluten Free food they reduced the availability of food suitable for Diabetics. A lot of their food is more expensive too.

Were is all there Gluten Free Wheat Free, that I buy, they hardly have any of those things.
You people need to look at the big picture, do you only want to eat what Aldi sells, well then I would be staving. Were is there Plant based Food that I eat a lot of.
And you never get any Rewards from shopping at Aldi, you might pay a bit more but it is worth it to be able to have choices at what you have buy.
I rest my Case.
I shop at Aldi and buy plant based food there.

I appreciate the cheaper prices for my weekly shop at Aldi. I am, however, disappointed that Aldi doesn't stock simple things like packets of Chicken Noodle or French Onion Soup! They did previously but now, they, and other basic things are nowhere to be seen! I dislike going to a major supermarket to get basic products!

Al
I rest my Case.
Aldi is the only shop I can buy gluten, dairy free cake mixes. They are delicious

Last edited:
Well, the customer bought cottage cheese, probably cost abt $4 or so, eggs $5, deodorant $6 total of $15. So what the hell else was bought ? One can only guess. At least another $57 worth of stuff not mentioned. Who's having who on. At least someone is getting their 5minutes of fame. Seems like a load of complete & utter "BS" to me. Didn't mention the couple of kilo's of "Eye Fillet" steak they bought which would have easily made up the extra cost. Give us a break.
Which supermarket only charges $5 per dozen for organic, free range eggs now days? The cheapest I can pay for free range eggs is $5.99 per dozen.

Fair comment by "Singomate'. "Wot" one has to take into consideration by all supermarkets, & i.e., Their electricity bills to run all their freezers which are opened up a ""Mill" times a day letting out the coldness incl., all of the refrigeration along with all of their lighting. The wages they pay their staff. Sick leave & holiday pay plus loading to staff. Sick leave & all of the superannuation they have to account for their staff as well. When that is all added up, "Wot" then is the total cost. That's all before the cost of the produce which has to be purchased by the supermarkets before it is stored & shelved for us to buy.

When the "BIG" picture is looked at, there is an almighty cost to the companies involved.

I, for one don't complain abt prices, I just keep looking for the specials & best buys. Sometimes one just has to do a bit of leg & foot work. Also, it's keeping people employed which is the ultimate equation.
“I, for one don't complain abt prices, I just keep looking for the specials & best buys. Sometimes one just has to do a bit of leg & foot work. Also, it's keeping people employed which is the ultimate equation.”

Yes, I’m in full agreement with you there!

Which supermarket only charges $5 per dozen for organic, free range eggs now days? The cheapest I can pay for free range eggs is $5.99 per dozen.
I buy free range eggs and they’ve just gone up from $5.00 to $7.00 in the space of a fortnight but my chooks gone down from $14.00 each to $10.80 each.😊

Reactions: DLHM
how do you the Coles items and not all listed by the looks for the cost with a trolley full?- what items- where they the same goods being compared. When comparing why is it never a match for each company. No way to compare.

I had fruit and veg from Aldi- shocking condition- didn't keep well. Each time I have been in to my local, there have been meat trays that have broken packaging. Biggest thing not going it they dont cater for intolerances. The brand of g/f is a shocker like dough. Virtually no dairy alternatives either. I found froaen meals weren't even OZ grown, produce for o/s. But my Alids- 2 within 20 mins drive, are so tiny there is very little to select from. I Dont see many people in there when I pass from where I park the car and pass them. Teeny weeny shops don't exactly cater to all goods required in a shop for me and also my friends.

They need to check the quality of Fruit at Aldi especially if you buy pre-packed. You will be lucky if at least one item doesn't need to go in green waste. I have witnessed fruit being unpacked a few times. Some of their loose isn't that fresh either. A lot of their generic brand products could originate from overseas. Some are just labelled packed in Australia. The product may have come from overseas in bulk and been packed here.
You are incorrect in that assumption. I used to work at Golden Circle and found that they always, wherever possible, used Australian manufacturers. They were unbelievably stringent in getting their products made to their specifications. I shop at Aldi and save a lot of money. Just today I noticed a product was $30.90/kg in WW and $20.10/kg in Aldi. Their cleaning products are fabulous and half the price of the same in Coles and WW. I do still have to buy some things in Coles and WW that they don't stock, but my majority shop is at Aldi.

Well, the customer bought cottage cheese, probably cost abt $4 or so, eggs $5, deodorant $6 total of $15. So what the hell else was bought ? One can only guess. At least another $57 worth of stuff not mentioned. Who's having who on. At least someone is getting their 5minutes of fame. Seems like a load of complete & utter "BS" to me. Didn't mention the couple of kilo's of "Eye Fillet" steak they bought which would have easily made up the extra cost. Give us a break.
Agree with you. If having a whinge, she should provide a copy of the receipt or an itemised list with prices paid shown.

It is amazing that some shoppers will compare the dearest items from Coles and Woolies to the cheapest from Aldi.
if they purchased the Coles Simply brand it would have been on par.
I agree with you but it's a lost cause I'm afraid.

ALDI's brands equate to private label or generic brands and that enables ALDI to contain costs. These brands are comparable to what you've said, the 'Coles Simply brand'.

But trying to convince some of the people that ALDI's brands are owned by them (owned and therefore generic) has been impossible. They refuse to acknowledge it.

An accurate comparison would need to be 'like' with 'like'.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240703-121927.png
    Screenshot_20240703-121927.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240703-121956~2.png
    Screenshot_20240703-121956~2.png
    134.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240703-122030.png
    Screenshot_20240703-122030.png
    140 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240703-122042.png
    Screenshot_20240703-122042.png
    138 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240703-122154.png
    Screenshot_20240703-122154.png
    214.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240703-123213.png
    Screenshot_20240703-123213.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240703-121956.jpg
    Screenshot_20240703-121956.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240703-123213~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240703-123213~2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240703-123350.png
    Screenshot_20240703-123350.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 0
Did they check the actual origin of the products. If they are packed or distributed under an Australian name it doesn't necessarily mean the products themselves are manufactured or grown in Aust.
Exactly. Many labelled NZ are also imported to NZ and just packed there.